Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Too much of a disease and virus risk.
    If overflow communal tanks were to be a thing. Then it could only be tillage farmers that be allowed to draw from it.

Not being funny but the slurry from my own farm could be nutritionally and bacterial better than anyone else's in tank. I wouldn't want my good stuff that I've spent years getting to this level be going to someone else and crap literally coming back onto the farm. And then the disease point as above and who knows what substances any other farmers were treating their stock with that would be too much of a risk to your own soil health plan.

nothing that an AD plant wouldn't sort out!!

I'm just trying to come up with solutions rather than have farmers spend a pure fortune again building tanks on every farmyard in the country

Out of interest are you testing your slurry before you spread it to see if its as good as you think it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Oh it is. :):D:p

Does it stink?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,062 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Does it stink?

Ah go way!!

Panch18 wrote: »
    nothing that an AD plant wouldn't sort out!!

I'm just trying to come up with solutions rather than have farmers spend a pure fortune again building tanks on every farmyard in the country

Out of interest are you testing your slurry before you spread it to see if its as good as you think it is?

No but I'm not treating the stock with wormers and the antibiotic use would be very low.
    And the soil amendments I've used would be coming back through the silage and slurry. Other farmers wouldn't be using those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Panch18 wrote: »
    So you want bright sunny days to cut your silage and then the very next day you want damp overcast conditions to spread your slurry after the silage - you don't ask for much

Everybody knows that overcast damp conditions are best for slurry spreading - that's what makes spreading a good winters day the BEST option for nitrogen utilisation - but its banned

All i am saying is that every farmer that is farming to any kind of intensive level has found themselves in the same position as Bufford - full tanks and ****e weather. I certainly have.

Sensible rules is the way forward - there were perfect spreading conditions in Dec and Jan and we were sat on our hands looking out at it and now tanks full all over the country

You'd be grand to spread for two weeks with a bands speader or trailing shoe, I'd usually be covering the pits the next day after silage anyway where the most important thing I'm asking for is calmness all round, so I wouldn't be panicking about getting at slurry in the blazing sun to cure my boredom.

Not sure why you said all N is lost in summer spreading if "everybody knows" that it's not the case with a modicum of cop-on.
    Risk of run off and lack of utilisation due to low temperatures are the reason for the high winter losses to the water table and present rules, but like everybody else you probably know that as well despite what you write.

• Advertisement

But have you heard anything of C.A.N being coated in seaweed coating in this country? Some nice efficiencies being quoted on trials. It looks a better safer alternative than the chemical treated urea that's being pushed by teagasc.

Haven't heard of it but it would be an easy thing for the fert companies to do. I wouldn't be sure of the synergies of it though, N can take somr goodies like boron with it when leaching. It's carbon that really makes the difference with N so I would think coating with humates would be what to aim for, I'll bet they'll charge well for it.

Haven't heard of it but it would be an easy thing for the fert companies to do. I wouldn't be sure of the synergies of it though, N can take somr goodies like boron with it when leaching. It's carbon that really makes the difference with N so I would think coating with humates would be what to aim for, I'll bet they'll charge well for it.

Supposedly you get the same growth with 20 -25% less can needed.
    It'd be a hell of an opener though for any farmer that hasn't used seaweed based products yet. It'll have to bring up the brix in grass or at least it won't be driving it down like normal npk. I don't know the price the product was just mentioned to me by two people. It's a step in the right direction anyway if you have to use fert.

There would be a little carbon in the powder too being life and carbon based. :pac:
    Anyway we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Are knackeries on strike at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whelan2 wrote: »

Yeah, could last a while too. The Dept has issued guidelines for storage of animals until the strike finishes.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/department-issues-animal-carcass-storage-advice-during-regrettable-strike/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭alps

Yep...

And maybe they'll be in no hurry back..only downside for them will be having to deal with pretty bad smells at the end of it...

Otherwise, every day they're out will cut their collection costs, as they'll have far better match up in collections when they'll have numerous days deaths to collect...like getting paid 2 or 3 for the cost of 1..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

alps wrote: »
    Yep...

And maybe they'll be in no hurry back..only downside for them will be having to deal with pretty bad smells at the end of it...

Otherwise, every day they're out will cut their collection costs, as they'll have far better match up in collections when they'll have numerous days deaths to collect...like getting paid 2 or 3 for the cost of 1..

How many animals die on your farm??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,120 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If a farmer has 100+ cows calving, there will always be a few lost. Stop the nonsense.

There was another strike in September I think. Weather was warm enough. I had a calf born dead. I was told to cover it and wait until the strike was over. I have a calf at the moment with brain damage . Just wondering what the story was as I dont expect it to live

Yeah, could last a while too. The Dept has issued guidelines for storage of animals until the strike finishes.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/department-issues-animal-carcass-storage-advice-during-regrettable-strike/

Just bury the bodies and throw the ears in a bag in the freezer...

Just bury the bodies and throw the ears in a bag in the freezer...

Under no circumstances are you allowed bury it. I dont know if you're joking or not

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Rang my provider and he said when they do go back at it they'll be focusing on cow's first. He said they aren't open for drop offs either? Have a calf here awaiting collection

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

There was another strike in September I think. Weather was warm enough. I had a calf born dead. I was told to cover it and wait until the strike was over. I have a calf at the moment with brain damage . Just wondering what the story was as I dont expect it to live

That's the only consolation atm, at least it's still cool. I had an animal waiting through the last strike, it wasn't nice when the wind changed to blowing towards the house.

The knackeries are talking about a doubling of collection prices if the Dept don't up their payments to the knackeries.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

My tip for a dead calf is if you have a loader bucket tip it up over the carcase.keeps animals from getting at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭straight

Water John wrote: »
    If a farmer has 100+ cows calving, there will always be a few lost. Stop the nonsense.

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭straight

I had 2 sets of twins today. One set is 2 heifers sobthats fine. My question is the other set are Male and female so she's a marten. BUT the cow had 2 big seperate cleanings. An old man told me before if they were in 2 seperate bags that she would be suitable for breeding? Is it true?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭Grueller

straight wrote: »
    I had 2 sets of twins today. One set is 2 heifers sobthats fine. My question is the other set are Male and female so she's a marten. BUT the cow had 2 big seperate cleanings. An old man told me before if they were in 2 seperate bags that she would be suitable for breeding? Is it true?

Happened here before. She is breeding away here still.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

I’ve a freemarten here in calf to her fourth calf. I can’t remember if it was two separate cleanings or not at birth. It does happen but it’s very rare.

You'd know by lifting their tail sometimes. Vet was showing me here one time. Put another heifer calf beside her and compare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭visatorro

Left gate of shed open with no silage in front of cows. I wonder what mess I'll see in the morning!

Under no circumstances are you allowed bury it. I dont know if you're joking or not

Fair enough, it could be a tough stew alright if the bags got mixed up,
    But I can bury my St Bernard when he conks it, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Fair enough, it could be a tough stew alright if the bags got mixed up,
    But I can bury my St Bernard when he conks it, right?

only thing you can legally bury now is humans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

straight wrote: »
    I asked a few vets over the years and they all say only 2 or 3% chance they will breed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

wrangler wrote: »
    only thing you can legally bury now is humans

Reminds me of the time I was in the vets, and people in front of me had like brought in a sick stray cat that had been terrorising the neighbours to be put down! They were not impressed with the cost of putting him down (something like 60/80e?), and really really weren't impressed with the fact that to have it cremated would cost like another 180e or something! I half felt like interrupting and saying I'd find a hole on the farm n bury him for 20e, but I decided against it lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement