Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

When you get used to feeding 4l of colostrum to a calf, feeding 3l feels like you're shortchanging the calf.

Got 6l off two heifers just now and thawed out some more to top it up. Fed 4l to a calf at 12 today and he was drinking the cow at 4 and drank a litre again at 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭alps

Grasstec group?

There's a bit of downward pressure on prices due to the fear that the Chinese will stop buying or stop paying for what they already had delivered.

Hate to have any of our towns on lockdown like in Italy and not able to have your milk collected.....

alps wrote: »
    Hate to have any of our towns on lockdown like in Italy and not able to have your milk collected.....

Has it gotten that bad in Italy? Haven't seen the news in a few days now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Has it gotten that bad in Italy? Haven't seen the news in a few days now.

Over a 100 cases, it be a disaster if it comes here with our health service and goons over the hse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭straight

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Over a 100 cases, it be a disaster if it comes here with our health service and goons over the hse

It'll be grand lad. Mary Lou is sorting the whole thing out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Spent the night in a and e, a few weeks ago, it was like been in a old folks home, 90 odd % of patients where 70 years plus old, with alot their for minor injuries and falls
    If the s**t hit the fan here, it would be simply a case of prioritising patients with the best chances of survival, and not admitting the above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

straight wrote: »
    It'll be grand lad. Mary Lou is sorting the whole thing out.

Unlikely. You can’t intimidate a virus

stanflt wrote: »
    Many??

If it got very bad would they still collect the milk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

I think if it got to that stage we wouldn’t be to concerned about the milk being collected.

• Advertisement

A vaccine can't be that far away surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

There will have to be some efforts made to keep food supplies moving. No point in starvation killing more than the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 21,120 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Covid 19 seems to have a mortality of 3/4%. Some mention of vaccine developed by April. I presume ramping it up may then be the issue.
    Whole families were wiped out with the Spanish flu of 1919. It killed more worldwide than died in WW1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭mf240

Twill be a sad day for our little village, if the world ends.

Had the umbilical out today spreading the wateriest slurry. Out on the driest field and marking in places but no choice as the slurry was coming up the slats.

I'd like to meet the absolute Gobdaw that decided that spreading before Christmas on land that was dry and growth in the 10's was illegal while spreading now on saturated ground and growth at 0 was legal.

You, Sir, are an absolute fcuking clown:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Had the umbilical out today spreading the wateriest slurry. Out on the driest field and marking in places but no choice as the slurry was coming up the slats.

I'd like to meet the absolute Gobdaw that decided that spreading before Christmas on land that was dry and growth in the 10's was illegal while spreading now on saturated ground and growth at 0 was legal.

Why did you spread 2 weeks ago when land was reasonably dry....?
    Only slagging I’m in the exact same position myself. The reason I didn’t is cos I didn’t want to be dumping slurry on grass I thought I’d be grazing these days. Thought I’d get them grazed first and then go with watery slurry after.
    Oh hindsight how wonderful you are. ..!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I have nothing grazed this year at all. Plenty of grass there though. I got slurry out about 3 weeks ago. No fertiliser out yet.

It's never allowed to be spreading slurry on saturated ground with a high chance of runoff, the powers that be just turn a blind eye to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭visatorro

whelan2 wrote:
    I have nothing grazed this year at all. Plenty of grass there though. I got slurry out about 3 weeks ago. No fertiliser out yet.

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

Not trying to be smart but why didn't you go with the umbilical in mid Jan when land was good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭Base price

It's never allowed to be spreading slurry on saturated ground with a high chance of runoff, the powers that be just turn a blind eye to it.
    Then I suggest that we quit this calendar farming mullarkey and allow farmers to farm their land appropriately vis a vie ground conditions/weather constraints.

Snowfire wrote: »
    Why did you spread 2 weeks ago when land was reasonably dry....?
    Only slagging I’m in the exact same position myself. The reason I didn’t is cos I didn’t want to be dumping slurry on grass I thought I’d be grazing these days. Thought I’d get them grazed first and then go with watery slurry after.
    Oh hindsight how wonderful you are. ..!

I've never seen land as wet as it is atm. I wouldn't put cows out on someone else's land never mind my own.

I drove down to free a weather from briars yesterday and drove a few feet into the field before backing back and walking over. It'll take a good two weeks before land will dry now.

The only ones under pressure here are lads that didn't spread during the closed period, mostly. I'm not keen to do it but the equation is ar$eways when you cause more pollution by obeying the regulations.

Base price wrote: »
    Then I suggest that we quit this calendar farming mullarkey and allow farmers to farm their land appropriately vis a vie ground conditions/weather constraints.
    Or acknowledge that sometimes more than the minimum required amount of slurry storage is needed

degetme wrote: »
    Not trying to be smart but why didn't you go with the umbilical in mid Jan when land was good

We did. That was 5 weeks ago. Contractor came for a day, spread, and went on to the next lad. Same today, spread and packed up and drove on to the guy getting spread tomorrow.

The weather doesn't bother me at the moment to be honest. Getting cows out in February here would be unusual enough anyway. Placea are v wet alright, the bad autumn didn't help.

Can any of ye recommend a CF milking machine detergent? For hot an cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Or acknowledge that sometimes more than the minimum required amount of slurry storage is needed
    Methinks you need to address that question to DAFM/Teagasc/County Councils. There is nothing to be gained by kicking farmers about when they adhered to the required planning specifications at the time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'm well happy I took my 20% grazing in mid Jan/early feb now (and that was mostly heavier covers), big saving on fodder for them few weeks. Absolutely every animal back inside now, and will be for the next week or so looking at the forecast.

straight wrote: »
    The weather doesn't bother me at the moment to be honest. Getting cows out in February here would be unusual enough anyway. Placea are v wet alright, the bad autumn didn't help.

Can any of ye recommend a CF milking machine detergent? For hot an cold.

K.G. resurrected a thread to talk about it but not much on ot yet.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057438425/2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

With respect Chief.

In the Kingdom you can do as you like, when you like, but if you were to do likewise in this Republic your head would be fair sore from the wallop from the book of regulation.
    You’d get your day in court for sure, and probably end up losing your ‘right to farm’...fancy handing the farm over to next of kin?

Most people are well aware of the environment and the issues with pollution resulting from bad practices and flaunting the regulations. People have become or are becoming well informed on this.
    The culture of blatantly disregarding regulation/best practice will eventually have to change before everyone suffers and continues to bring a bad reputation on farmers...

You’d have to have a financial death wish to do what you did, and post it on social media, if you were operating here.

• Advertisement

With respect Chief.

In the Kingdom you can do as you like, when you like, but if you were to do likewise in this Republic your head would be fair sore from the wallop from the book of regulation.
    You’d get your day in court for sure, and probably end up losing your ‘right to farm’...fancy handing the farm over to next of kin?

Most people are well aware of the environment and the issues with pollution resulting from bad practices and flaunting the regulations. People have become or are becoming well informed on this.
    The culture of blatantly disregarding regulation/best practice will eventually have to change before everyone suffers and continues to bring a bad reputation on farmers...

You’d have to have a financial death wish to do what you did, and post it on social media, if you were operating here.

And, with respect, Dawg, trying to shoehorn regulations for a continental climate into a maritime climate is ludicrous situation.

You can tell, within reason, the likely weather you will have on 1st May and can work around that. We have to work within the weather regardless of what lads with soft hands and low shoes tell us, that's just the way it is.

We had ideal conditions for spreading before Christmas, ground conditions ideal, weather dry and warm, good growth (averaging 8kgsDM/Ha/day during December) and good ability of grass to absorb the slurry and do it well before any deterioration in weather. Yet we were not permitted to spread.

We are now in a situation where growth is near 0 here, land waterlogged, conditions poor for the foreseeable future yet we are allowed spread. I certainly didn't want to but I'm working within the idiocy that we are forced to follow. Plenty of lads spread in December and they're under no pressure to spread now.

Which of the two periods do you think will lead to more risk of pollution, Dawg? I'd be 100% certain the lads spreading during the before Christmas conditions are at a much lower risk of pollution than idiots like me that decide to abide by the rules and regulations and have to spread now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement