Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

mengele wrote: »
    No urea spread yet.hope to get the cows out in the next week. Should I still spread these paddocks that will be grazed hopefully in the next 2 weeks or leave them?

Spread a half bag now and another after maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Mooooo wrote: »
    It depends as can vary a lot depending on stocking rate, land type, cow type etc. I can check mine later on but my variable costs are higher than they should be for example for the amount of meal I fed the output should be better again just an example of how they can vary.
    The lads also have a fair point. If putting a plan together put in a figure of 35 to 40 k for your own wages at least and allow for profit from the farm at different milk prices to see how it may effect repayment capacity in the future

Variable costs are the most important costs i.e. meal,fertiliser,vet etc.. Your fixed costs could be anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Contact your Teagasc adviser. He works from the figure you're looking for.

Water John wrote: »
    Contact your Teagasc adviser. He works from the figure you're looking for.

Hoping to hear from the horses mouth. Everyone should know that figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Mach Two wrote: »

https://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2019/profit-monitor-analysis---dairy-farms-2018.php

Here's the 2018 profit monitor analysis, as lads have told you take it with a grain of salt, not all figures acounted for and plenty of inaccuracies too I'd say, but will give you an idea.
    Also don't think it's very fair to come in and demand lads tell you what it's costing them to produce milk, would you walk into a shop and be so forward about what it costs them to put a product on the shelf?

• Advertisement

Variable costs are the most important costs i.e. meal,fertiliser,vet etc.. Your fixed costs could be anything.

I'd disagree no such thing as more important costs as alps said above they all effect farms differently and so need to be viewed as a whole for proper comparison. Are you doing this for yourself or what? Best bit of advice would be to join a local discussion group where you can go thru all this stuff in confidence within the group

Mooooo wrote: »
    I'd disagree no such thing as more important costs as alps said above they all effect farms differently and so need to be viewed as a whole for proper comparison. Are you doing this for yourself or what? Best bit of advice would be to join a local discussion group where you can go thru all this stuff in confidence within the group

I have 30 yrs experience of dairy farming. Done the discussion group thing long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

But there still costs .....look at published pm results if that’s what your after but take a big punch of salt .theyll show coo of low 20s

If "Boards" is anonymous they shouldn't have a problem discussing costs. Checked that link on Profit monitor. They wouldn't be that far off the mark.

I have 30 yrs experience of dairy farming. Done the discussion group thing long time ago.

Fair enough, are you still in one? Rel early in my career and late joining a group but delighted I did and gain as much from the older lads as the younger, altho it is a rel young group. I've a lot to do to get to their level of management but it shows what can be done and in fairness lads I think have their system humming as they are are always adjusting their point of views on their own systems as well.
    Just think they are a better place for discussing some topics as honest appraisal is more forthcoming

• Advertisement

I actually gave up the discussion group. Great for newcomers to dairy farming. Any problems can be thrown out there.

Anybody know the average milk price for the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭straight

All I know is milking cows is expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

I actually gave up the discussion group. Great for newcomers to dairy farming. Any problems can be thrown out there.

Anybody know the average milk price for the last few years.

For 30 years experience your knowledge is sketchy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Anybody know the approximate cost of production of a litre of milk. Feed,silage,veterinary and fertiliser. Everything bar cost of any investment or loan repayments.

Our variable costs for 2019 which is what you’re looking for is 12.65c/l.

As said by others there are a lot of others to be added

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Farney Farmer

Anybody have a rough figure for the price of a new bulk tank? Around 4000 litre.

Anybody have a rough figure for the price of a new bulk tank? Around 4000 litre.

I priced a 5000 litre at €17000 plus VAT recently

Grueller wrote: »
    For 30 years experience your knowledge is sketchy

I resent that coment. On a dairy farm you are always learning.

Our variable costs for 2019 which is what you’re looking for is 12.65c/l.

As said by others there are a lot of others to be added

What other running costs would have to be added to the 12.65 c/l.

I resent that coment. On a dairy farm you are always learning.

On any farm you are always learning but you are asking for advice and then saying that a discussion group is only for newbies, you don't know the average milk price over a period despite having a milk cheque for 30 years nor can you put a handle on your costs.
    You are spoofing or too lazy to work out your own costs.

Discussion groups are for everyone but are a hugh advantage to younger farmers.

Due to personal reasons I had to stop dairy farming. Contemplating getting back in to it.

• Advertisement

Discussion groups are for everyone but are a hugh advantage to younger farmers.

Due to personal reasons I had to stop dairy farming. Contemplating getting back in to it.

Ok. Paints a different picture to me with that info. Apologies and best of luck if you do jump back in.

Grueller wrote: »
    Ok. Paints a different picture to me with that info. Apologies and best of luck if you do jump back in.

I definitely won't be jumping back in. A lot of careful planning has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hildywildy

Any where fro 0.18c to 0.30c a litre

hildywildy wrote: »
    Any where fro 0.18c to 0.30c a litre

All in there no one producing milk at or anywhere near 18 cent majority closer and above 30

https://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2019/profit-monitor-analysis---dairy-farms-2018.php

Here's the 2018 profit monitor analysis, as lads have told you take it with a grain of salt, not all figures acounted for and plenty of inaccuracies too I'd say, but will give you an idea.
    Also don't think it's very fair to come in and demand lads tell you what it's costing them to produce milk, would you walk into a shop and be so forward about what it costs them to put a product on the shelf?

You are spot on. There is way too much information on farmers and farming. All this information is being used against farmers. Especially profit monitors. What other business out there tells everybody how much money it is making.

You are spot on. There is way too much information on farmers and farming. All this information is being used against farmers. Especially profit monitors. What other business out there tells everybody how much money it is making.

Agree and the likes of the ****e chucked out of pm is totally inaccurate on top there surely a gdpr issue as well

What is a gdpr issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Yeah the big retailers love having that info so they can squeeze every last available drop out of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

What is a gdpr issue.

Loads of info about GDPR on google.
    Basically it regards ur privacy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Agree and the likes of the ****e chucked out of pm is totally inaccurate on top there surely a gdpr issue as well

His question was what are variable costs? They’re absolutely exact with ePM, if it’s filled properly of coarse

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement