Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Reminds of dairy farm in Michigan state university, I visited a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

At this time of year wildlife love the new clover shoots. I was kinda hoping there would be more of them around...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

At this time of year wildlife love the new clover shoots. I was kinda hoping there would be more of them around...

Wouldn't be seeing clover here for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hildywildy

You won't have much milk out of all heifers on OAD, esp if not from aOAD herd, so just don't budget on a big margin. The plus side is that, given a fair chance, they'll all go back in-calf in good time, be in good condition and rearing to go in their second lactation without any special treatment. Best of luck with it.

Whatever about counting the pennies, OAD is profitable and turns dairy farming into one of the best jobs going, very few downsides.

I cant wait to get going, I tried to buy the best heifers I could, average EBI is €185, the guy I bought them off was doing 530kg milk solids and 5,500l. I'm very happy with them, so far.

My plan is to have a mature herd doing about 400kg of milk solids.
    I am lucky enough to have a good job, OAD milking suits me as it allows me work off farm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Mooooo wrote: »
    Wouldn't be seeing clover here for a while

Cracking photo Moooo

Contender for Jan photo of the month if it was in there!!

hildywildy wrote: »
    I cant wait to get going, I tried to buy the best heifers I could, average EBI is €185, the guy I bought them off was doing 530kg milk solids and 5,500l. I'm very happy with them, so far.

My plan is to have a mature herd doing about 400kg of milk solids.
    I am lucky enough to have a good job, OAD milking suits me as it allows me work off farm.

Best of luck with it

Keep us updated on your progress

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

Anyone going spreading urea? Would it be better hold off till end of week for the rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

degetme wrote: »
    Anyone going spreading urea? Would it be better hold off till end of week for the rain?

No too cold and ground temps sub 6 degrees ,hard frost last few nights as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

mahoney_j wrote: »
    No too cold and ground temps sub 6 degrees ,hard frost last few nights as well.

Doesn't urea take 10 days for it to start working? Back to rain next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'm looking for 20 to 25 feb/march calving heifers, ideally vaccinated for salmonella/rotavirus, high ebi, ideally no more than 1/4 je grass based, if anyone knows a farmer with that sort of group for sale drop me a pm plz.

Panch18 wrote: »
    Cracking photo Moooo

Contender for Jan photo of the month if it was in there!!

Have a better photo but it is over the size limit thing.
    Temps measured at 1.2 degrees at 1 o'clock not far from cork city so wouldn't be spreading any fert. Any shelterers parts here still frozen. Slurry perhaps if ground is ok but there would be less use of N in it.

Timmaay wrote: »
    I'm looking for 20 to 25 feb/march calving heifers, ideally vaccinated for salmonella/rotavirus, high ebi, ideally no more than 1/4 je grass based, if anyone knows a farmer with that sort of group for sale drop me a pm plz.

May not be the way you want to buy as prices can go high but see from twitter there are a few clearance sales on this week, one in cashel on Thurs, there is another up in carnew I think on Fri maybe? Was considering some myself and perhaps offloading the late calvers to counter it but cash flow wise it may leave things a bit tight plus testing this week so will have to see how that goes first

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭stanflt

I know someone but there’s no jersey blood and there all pedigree- avg ebi of them would be over 200

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

stanflt wrote: »
    I know someone but there’s no jersey blood and there all pedigree- avg ebi of them would be over 200

You're keeping a low profile around these parts lately!

Wildsurfer wrote: »

Been really busy with work and family- took on too much the past 2 years and we’re going to drop overall numbers by 150 this year- sold all autumn born bull calves and beef calves- 40 beef cattle going this week also

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭farisfat

Been really busy with work and family- took on too much the past 2 years and we’re going to drop overall numbers by 150 this year- sold all autumn born bull calves and beef calves- 40 beef cattle going this week also

Was their much margin in the beef.

farisfat wrote: »
    Was their much margin in the beef.

It only held money together tbh- it would be better off in the bank account

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

How much?.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I assume a ballpark figure of 1300e won't cut it lol. I'd stretch to 1500 at a push ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Wildsurfer wrote: »

Thankfully

I assume a ballpark figure of 1300e won't cut it lol. I'd stretch to 1500 at a push ha.

Fresh cows are averaging 2k around here

Fresh cows are averaging 2k around here

In calf (February calvers)with lots of records and papers ,good ebi etc making 1500 to 2200 .trade is hot

In calf (February calvers)with lots of records and papers ,good ebi etc making 1500 to 2200 .trade is hot

Can’t understand why it’s so hot- I actually thought it would be back this year

Can’t understand why it’s so hot- I actually thought it would be back this year

New entrants ,milk price for year looking v hot ,lads not breeding enough replacements to cover expansion ,flying herds .ling may it continue ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭straight

I sold surplus pedigree maiden heifers last April for 650 euro. Good EBI and records.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

straight wrote: »
    I sold surplus pedigree maiden heifers last April for 650 euro. Good EBI and records.

You sold them cheap, they were generally making around the €850 mark

• Registered Users Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭straight

Snowfire wrote: »
    You sold them cheap, they were generally making around the €850 mark

I hit a bad day in the mart. I think most people had them bought in Feb/March.

Was at a clearance sale of a 100 herd before Christmas that averaged over 1900

Had records and papers etc and good farmer but didn’t think they were exceptional by any means

Thought it was mental money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭orm0nd

New entrants ,milk price for year looking v hot ,lads not breeding enough replacements to cover expansion ,flying herds .ling may it continue ....

Much like the beef.. Factories raise 5c, stores go up 150.

Co ops give 1c/ltr.. milkers go crazy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement