Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭jaymla627

visatorro wrote: »
    It's a kind of stubbornness from the old crowd here. We've given them cu**s enough money all year f**k them!

They'll be whinging more in Feb/March when theirs no milk cheques coming in and non existant calf sales money on top of your nov/dec cheques amounting to not alot, your litres are probably gone to low to justify anymore then 3.5kgs, what's lactose like good indicator if cows are getting enough energy in diet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,077 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Timmaay wrote: »
    Mp SR of 3 here. If I had the grass I'd happily be feeding less, bar its too wet when grass dm too low. But as visa says he's too busy with off farm work to be messing around with a more complicated diet, in that case and considering he has the grass he's dead right to scrap any extra litres above them most profitable litres he gets from the very simple system of what the cow grazes herself and the few kg in the parlour. And yep mj your cows would shed bsc like anything if you forced them in that system, but a good fat br fr or jex who will keep it on her back will be grand.

Wouldn’t shed bcs they’d just drop litres way quicker and go dry faster ,grass has been 10/12%!dm for most of last 2 months so typical cow on only 2/3 kg meal will be no where near able to rake in required dm intakes ,bit more feeding will give more milk and more days in milk which =more profit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

In by night here with the last 4 days, getting variable enough bales by night and upped ration to 5kg, grass by day. Have no solids results since silage went in, was at 4.55bf and 4.24p on grass and 4kg doing around 17L when at grass fulltime. Milk collections have been changing so I think the my are closer to 16L now. Will be recording this week so will see where cow's are at yields and lactose wise and take samples for sensitivity testing to prepare for dry off. Will start drying the 15th Nov or thereabouts. Have extra heifers milking this year so may dry off a larger number in the first tranche

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Wouldn’t shed bcs they’d just drop litres way quicker and go dry faster ,grass has been 10/12%!dm for most of last 2 months so typical cow on only 2/3 kg meal will be no where near able to rake in required dm intakes ,bit more feeding will give more milk and more days in milk which =more profit

This is definitely a decent bit more than 10% dm.

This is definitely a decent bit more than 10% dm.

About 12/13 if it’s simillar day to here ,dry but lighter covers =more moisture .test every Monday here and last 2 months range 10 to 12.5% max

• Advertisement

mahoney_j wrote: »
    About 12/13 if it’s simillar day to here ,dry but lighter covers =more moisture .test every Monday here and last 2 months range 10 to 12.5% max

You surely can't read in to much to them figures, spring grass the same, low dm but always feeds better that most silage, the lowest dm silage I ever saw was 19%, water streaming off the sheargrab on it, and the cows milked absolutely rubbish (this was winter of 2013 after nearly all 1st cut 2012 silage was made wet).

Cows back to 1kg in the parlour here lol, but 6kg maize and 4kg leafy silage, and the rest grass (so say 5kg?). Abit more grass would be nice, I might be little low on overall diet protein?, but reasonably cheap diet still.

You surely can't read in to much to them figures, spring grass the same, low dm but always feeds better that most silage, the lowest dm silage I ever saw was 19%, water streaming off the sheargrab on it, and the cows milked absolutely rubbish (this was winter of 2013 after nearly all 1st cut 2012 silage was made wet).

Cows back to 1kg in the parlour here lol, but 6kg maize and 4kg leafy silage, and the rest grass (so say 5kg?). Abit more grass would be nice, I might be little low on overall diet protein?, but reasonably cheap diet still.

Lab tested ,I trust them grass great feed but limited and will only do so much ,good and I mean really good silage will enhance both litres and solids yield and protein % rose here once silage in .quite happy with feed levels in and return here will stay twice a day till late November and then oad till Xmas week once grass gone all bales 4 kg 16% in parlour and 2 kg maize/beet pulp /distillers on silage.simple diet and will keep cows motoring

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

Anyone know a factory killing cows atm? I've 2 ladies who I want to offload before I house them as very bad in feet. Don't really want to sell them to dealers as they are slow to get up and need a bit of tlc so would sit better on conscience just to check them in myself. Tried phoning the usual suspects but can't get a month let alone a date when they would take cows in?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Freejin

What dry cow tubes are fellas going for this year? Any prices on Cephaguard anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭visatorro

Freejin wrote: »
    What dry cow tubes are fellas going for this year? Any prices on Cephaguard anywhere?

42.50 for 20 tubes.

Fcuking dogs or something put a hole in the front of the silage pit and the damn easterly blowing here all day ripped the the plastic in both sheets from top to bottom. On the feckin pit I was hoping to open last as well. Balls. Two land drains blocked as well near a shaggin road so more messing to sort those.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,104 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Dry cows had no water in their drinker today. It's a big concrete drinker with a heavy bridge. Took apart ball valve, all clear. Took off water pipe at the elbow, no water. Bear in mind theres a holly Bush at the back of the drinker. Builders had disconnected the water pipe to wash down stuff and didnt realise I had cows in field were pipe leads to. My arms are all cuts from the holly. There are berries on it

Wait till the bigger crowds start making powder and horsing it out on world markets. See nz dairy are saying the push against them based on clean water policies or something could cost the industry 10bn dollars and increase dairy insolvency from 2% to 12%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭visatorro

jaymla627 wrote: »
    They'll be whinging more in Feb/March when theirs no milk cheques coming in and non existant calf sales money on top of your nov/dec cheques amounting to not alot, your litres are probably gone to low to justify anymore then 3.5kgs, what's lactose like good indicator if cows are getting enough energy in diet

Normally 4.4
    Urea 25 last test

Dried off 10 this morning. Down below 9 rows now , yipee

whelan2 wrote: »
    Dried off 10 this morning. Down below 9 rows now , yipee

What were you at at peak. Will be back to 10 rows next year, was at 8 this year and it's grand

Mooooo wrote: »
    What were you at at peak. Will be back to 10 rows next year, was at 8 this year and it's grand

11 rows. Will be 12 next year until I build a new parlour. Not looking forward to it. 10 rows is enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

whelan2 wrote: »
    11 rows. Will be 12 next year until I build a new parlour. Not looking forward to it. 10 rows is enough

10 rows is definately enough!!

What size parlour are you thinking of putting in?

Panch18 wrote: »
    10 rows is definately enough!!

What size parlour are you thinking of putting in?

24 unit. 15 unit atm

• Advertisement

One reactor ffs. The merry go around continues until at least end of march. Gonna have to get my sh1t together and get ready for a mountain of calves next spring. Probably time to get an autofeeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ozil10

What type of lime are people using to bed down cubicles. is there any value in shopping around or are most companies the same price

Thanks

I think today is the last day for entering pregnancy test results on icbf to get your calving report

ozil10 wrote: »
    What type of lime are people using to bed down cubicles. is there any value in shopping around or are most companies the same price

Thanks

10% hydrated here, mastercal I think it's called get it in tonne bags. Don't have price to hand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

10% hydrated here, mastercal I think it's called get it in tonne bags. Don't have price to hand

€220...

Bit of shopping around and take a few tonne might get down to €180

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

€220...

Killer is there's VAT at 23% on it...if you could buy it for land spreading there would be no vat in it, and that's what eventually happens it when it goes out with the slurry..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

https://twitter.com/swimsure/status/1189984536987394050?s=21

Anyone care to shed some light on this please?
    I was always lead to believe that we produced enough food for 30mln people.
    Varadkar reckons 50mln.
    The FAO think otherwise...still seems that we do an awful lot of work to produce so little.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Varadkar reckons 50mln.
    The FAO think otherwise...still seems that we do an awful lot of work to produce so little.

Grain imports high in energy but not really right to compare them to meat and dairy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

alps wrote: »
    €220...

Killer is there's VAT at 23% on it...if you could buy it for land spreading there would be no vat in it, and that's what eventually happens it when it goes out with the slurry..

Farming friend got bennetsbrige cubicle lime for 165 for tonne bag. Very happy with he says, cows indoor year round so he has a fair idea wgats good and what's not

• Advertisement

Varadkar reckons 50mln.

Lots of dodgy calculators knocking about within govt and advisory bodies over these parts ......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement