Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    If the aqua drains are outside the pen and you use a board to keep back straw they will be fine as you can keep them swept regularly. From my experience here with auto feeder: I have a concrete area around each feeder station and as calves get bigger its very hard to keep clean as they spend so much time loitering there especially when it starts weaning them off as they keep trying to get milk. Not sure what the solution is though!

Calf slats on that area? Could hose down then maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

cute geoge wrote: »
    where? l

Agridirect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Does anyone know if propcorn treated grain deters birds or rodents? Thinking of buying some ex farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

A tax write off by a multi millonaire ,he has made his money not out of farming anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

cute geoge wrote: »
    A tax write off by a multi millonaire ,he has made his money not out of farming anyway

The easiest way to make a million in farming is to start with 2 million.

Does anyone know if propcorn treated grain deters birds or rodents? Thinking of buying some ex farm.
    I found an easier way of supporting our own tillage farms. All Irish nut and ration from Dairygold.
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/irish-cubed-and-coarse-launched-by-dairygold/?utm_content=buffer5e464&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• Registered Users Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Water John

What's the buffer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Water John wrote: »
    What's the buffer?

You couldn't really get away with a high cereal ration like the above to feed at high feed rates without soya hulls and sugar beet pulp in the mix, its grand rambling on about an all Irish ration but once you start feeding high rates of wheat/barley your looking for trouble maize meal is such a more safer feed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

jaymla627 wrote: »
    You couldn't really get away with a high cereal ration like the above to feed at high feed rates without soya hulls and sugar beet pulp in the mix, its grand rambling on about an all Irish ration but once you start feeding high rates of wheat/barley your looking for trouble maize meal is such a more safer feed

My feed rep said the same thing when I asked him about all native grains in the ration.
    Not enough beans in the country to balance it for protein either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Only one's making money at that craic is the merchant. Uncle was quoted 585quid per ton for Glanbia's fancy oats scheme seed to get on the merry go round, a markup of about 300 quid per ton at a minimum as they were offering 185 for the crop(2019) about 30 for royalties and same again for cleaning+dressing. you'll move grain along way for 10/ton leaving room for seed bonus to grower and storage.
    The real clincher is using their serviced agronomy(thieving parrasitic scum) to get the 'top up's', is like getting glanbia to do a veterinary service to decide your herd health care programme to supply milk with a nice mark up on everything aswel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Would it make a difference if the grain was maxammon treated?
    How would it impact on needing a buffer and protein?

Only one's making money at that craic is the merchant. Uncle was quoted 585quid per ton for Glanbia's fancy oats scheme seed to get on the merry go round, a markup of about 300 quid per ton at a minimum as they were offering 185 for the crop(2019) about 30 for royalties and same again for cleaning+dressing. you'll move grain along way for 10/ton leaving room for seed bonus to grower and storage.
    The real clincher is using their serviced agronomy(thieving parrasitic scum) to get the 'top up's', is like getting glanbia to do a veterinary service to decide your herd health care programme to supply milk with a nice mark up on everything aswel.

Their 25-30% dearer than independents on most inputs, was cheaper here to buy a specific 20% dairy ration made to my spec and ingredients of a independent merchant then deal with them and that's including getting a 35 euro discount of them if I bought x amount to activate a top-up, you'd more then likely end up with malt sprouts and whey premate in their ration by "mistake" to booth

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭newholland mad

GM at it's best. Then wrap it all up with a picture of a cow grazing lovely green grass.

A common theory, tested at Teagasc Grange for years and found to be false, once feed was increased gradually and adequate fibre provided. All cattle were fattened there using straight rolled barley without performance or health issues.

Apparantly protein is usually over used and prescribed when feeding with grass silage.

While not disagreeing with you on the merchant systems, I feel that's up to the grain farmers, their big boys and it's not a very big battle. I think that there is a lot of merit in using Irish feed, especially when it's costing me nothing significant to do so.

A common theory, tested at Teagasc Grange for years and found to be false, once feed was increased gradually and adequate fibre provided. All cattle were fattened there using straight rolled barley without performance or health issues.

Apparantly protein is usually over used and prescribed when feeding with grass silage.

Finishing animal versus a dairy cow have totally different needs, would be feeding 40% in rations here in native grains here in the form of oats/wheat/Barley, for a stable slow release energy you need about 25% maize in a ration for a milking cow

Finishing animal versus a dairy cow have totally different needs, would be feeding 40% in rations here in native grains here in the form of oats/wheat/Barley, for a stable slow release energy you need about 25% maize in a ration for a milking cow

That's the norm alright. I'm not into high meal feeding here anyway so the benefits are negligible and I'm looking to avoid imported feed if it can be do be reasonably.

You're quite right with regard to high rates for dairy cows, but it never occurred to me to use such a mix for that purpose, hence my first reply. I didn't mean to disagree with you, sorry, just the early morning brain was on a different tack.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Tim Tim Tim your too old to head out and sink jagers with all the lads until 3.30am and expect to be up to tb test 7.30am. All done now thank fook, bed for the afternoon looks like the best plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭visatorro

3.92 pr
    4.41 ft
    166 sec
    13 litres
    2 kg of meal

I'm running around 1.1 solids a day.
    I think that's fairly poor. A lot to work on.

Cows out day and night still. Nibbling at silage on way out.

Nearly everything else housed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,210 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Not long home and the dry cows broke in with the milkers. Fook it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

visatorro wrote: »
    3.92 pr
    4.41 ft
    166 sec
    13 litres
    2 kg of meal

Nice solids. An extra kilo might make a difference.

Visa if the cows are only nibbling silage, and 2kg meal then it's mostly grass in the diet so still? Very cheap diet so, I've been feeding strong for most of October because grass isn't there, it's given me extra milk solids, however more cost, time and effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,210 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

3.92 pr
    4.41 ft
    166 sec
    13 litres
    2 kg of meal

Many fresh cows in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭straight

3.92 pr
    4.41 ft
    166 sec
    13 litres
    2 kg of meal

All replacements in here. Cows will stay in by night the next wet night.
    Milking 18 litres.
    Pr - 4.03
    Fat - 4.73
    Lactose - 4.6
    About 1.6kms.
    On 4kg of meal, grass day and night and silage at milking time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,107 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Timmaay wrote: »
    Visa if the cows are only nibbling silage, and 2kg meal then it's mostly grass in the diet so still? Very cheap diet so, I've been feeding strong for most of October because grass isn't there, it's given me extra milk solids, however more cost, time and effort.

But if u didn’t put it in where would u be at now ....im stocked over 4 per he on milk block ,about 5 days grass left feeding 4 kg in parlour and for last few weeks 3 kg dm silage with 2 kg of maize meal beet pulp mix prior to pm milking .out day/night sitting at just over 19 Ltrs 5.03 fat 4.11 p

Nothing fresh. 5 calved in Sept. They're average 18 litres. They are getting over 3kg. Everything else is spring. Carrying a few culls/hobbly bastards. Good few on 1.5 kg.

It's a simple diet because I don't be here to monitor it. I don't have high yielding cow's. Id like higher yields. More or less a flying herd here now.
    Have plenty of grass. It's fairly watery I'd imagine but it's too strong to leave over winter. Would be tight here for slurry storage so I'll leave them out as long as I can.

mahoney_j wrote: »
    But if u didn’t put it in where would u be at now ....im stocked over 4 per he on milk block ,about 5 days grass left feeding 4 kg in parlour and for last few weeks 3 kg dm silage with 2 kg of maize meal beet pulp mix prior to pm milking .out day/night sitting at just over 19 Ltrs 5.03 fat 4.11 p

Mp SR of 3 here. If I had the grass I'd happily be feeding less, bar its too wet when grass dm too low. But as visa says he's too busy with off farm work to be messing around with a more complicated diet, in that case and considering he has the grass he's dead right to scrap any extra litres above them most profitable litres he gets from the very simple system of what the cow grazes herself and the few kg in the parlour. And yep mj your cows would shed bsc like anything if you forced them in that system, but a good fat br fr or jex who will keep it on her back will be grand.

• Advertisement

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    Nice solids. An extra kilo might make a difference.

It's a kind of stubbornness from the old crowd here. We've given them cu**s enough money all year f**k them!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement