Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Naghh milking real early in am or late in evening has o appeal to me

Start milking at 12noon, then 6am next morning, and 6pm next night? Actually wouldn't be the worst in fairness, a lot more doable than 16/16/16, which would require a 10pm milking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Cell count would want to be good I think. Altho getting lads to cover on wkends is difficult enough even thru FRS and the like so if cell count is ok may be worth a try if the times can be lined up for days the may suit

Had heavy covers here the last two weeks so drove on to get thru them. Down to a afc of 720 now and with weather breaking again wondering am I better off to drive on and close in Nov at a lower cover or would that be a bollox in spring with a risk of too many high covers in feb/ March if weather is poor? Would finish by Nov 1st if I drive on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mooooo wrote: »
    Had heavy covers here the last two weeks so drove on to get thru them. Down to a afc of 720 now and with weather breaking again wondering am I better off to drive on and close in Nov at a lower cover or would that be a bollox in spring with a risk of too many high covers in feb/ March if weather is poor? Would finish by Nov 1st if I drive on
    I'd like to keep some grass in the diet as long as possible, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

I'm pushing on and going to house with good quality bales until normal housing time. ATM looking at housing on Nov 4th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

I've done the 3 milkings in 2 days in '14, '15 & '17. Didn't do it last year as with fodder restrictions and feeding max in the parlour, I wanted to keep the routine more regular.
    It worked well in general. Cell count went up a bit alright but I'm prepared to live with that. My cubicle cleaning routine was much improved last winter so we'll see if it's any different this year. Didn't really affect yield. Litres came down a little but solids went up. I milked at 6am, 10pm, 2pm. I guess you could say if you're a glass half empty person, you'll focus on the early start and late finish days. But as a glass half full person, I like to focus on having a lie in every second morning and being off at half 3 every second evening as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

66% grazed here but theres not alot left on the on half of what's left to graze so I might not graze that which means I'll be in full time fairly quick. Depends on weather really, would like to stay out into november though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Timmaay wrote: »
    Start milking at 12noon, then 6am next morning, and 6pm next night? Actually wouldn't be the worst in fairness, a lot more doable than 16/16/16, which would require a 10pm milking.

I'd wonder how stressful it would be on the cows? In my experience, animals like routine around their daily activities. You'd want dry land as I'd imagine there'd be a lot of standing at the gaps with that system.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Diarmuid B

Cell count would want to be good I think. Altho getting lads to cover on wkends is difficult enough even thru FRS and the like so if cell count is ok may be worth a try if the times can be lined up for days the may suit

Speaking of FRS (and apologies for hijacking the thread), I’ve signed up with FRS for relief milking around Kildare. Just wondering is there much interest for lads around this area in getting help through FRS or is there another way of getting you’re name around for relief work?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,260 ✭✭✭✭Water John

TMK there is a second private agency based in Kildare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭alps

Pig farmers have been forced to go on line recording for their animal remedies. The dept now have real time access to antibiotic use.

Could be introduced to cattle in 12 months time..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

I'd like to keep some grass in the diet as long as possible, tbh.

No grass in the diet here today.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭farisfat

What are people's thoughts on teat sealers.
    I'm using them here for 3 years now and don't see any improvement in scc or the amount of spring mastitis.
    But I'm afraid to stop using them because its the thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭jaymla627

farisfat wrote: »
    I'm using them here for 3 years now and don't see any improvement in scc or the amount of spring mastitis.

Boviseal is the only sealer worth using on the market, sureseal is a disaster of a sealer but pushed hard by alot of co-ops and reps as they have a bigger margin on it

Do you milk record? If so look at the first recording assuming it's in feb/ March and it will give an indication of cell count and whether it's heifers or cow's getting it or whatever. Method at drying off and dry cow facilities etc can be indicated. Of heifers are calving down above a regular percentage it could be the calving/ pre calving area. Heifers teat canal can open from 3 weeks pre calving and so are more exposed

Do you milk record? If so look at the first recording assuming it's in feb/ March and it will give an indication of cell count and whether it's heifers or cow's getting it or whatever. Method at drying off and dry cow facilities etc can be indicated. Of heifers are calving down above a regular percentage it could be the calving/ pre calving area. Heifers teat canal can open from 3 weeks pre calving and so are more exposed

I don't record.
    Scc is not a problem or never was,the reason for using sealers was to lower scc and reduce spring mastitis but they made no difference.
    It was always sureseal.

No grass in the diet here today.

Went from 1kg to 2kgs of meal lol. And 4 to 6kg of a leafy silage. Opening maize tomorrow, only got extra feed barriers in tonight to give every cow a space, lastmin.com as always.

I don't record.
    Scc is not a problem or never was,the reason for using sealers was to lower scc and reduce spring mastitis but they made no difference.
    It was always sureseal.

Sure seal is dirt. Used it two years ago and a pure disaster, back to boviseal last year and the difference was night and day. No high scc starting off and no mastitis. Made a complaint to norbrook but no one ever followed it up

Was it sureseal that had the half full tubes, but you didn't know which end was empty and you'd end up injecting just air into some quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Timmaay wrote: »
    Was it sureseal that had the half full tubes, but you didn't know which end was empty and you'd end up injecting just air into some quarters.

Vet has no boviseal left. Got Noroseal instead. Any thoughts on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Sure seal is dirt. Used it two years ago and a pure disaster, back to boviseal last year and the difference was night and day. No high scc starting off and no mastitis. Made a complaint to norbrook but no one ever followed it up

If I was given a present of sure deal wouldn’t take it ,pure rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

No offense but are u sure the sealer is the problem ???,mastitis in spring most likely down to hygiene ,clean dry beds ,clean yards ,clipped tails adequate space for cows etc

mahoney_j wrote: »
    No offense but are u sure the sealer is the problem ???,mastitis in spring most likely down to hygiene ,clean dry beds ,clean yards ,clipped tails adequate space for cows etc

Mastitis or scc not a problem only about 5% of herd get treatment for mastitis scc has not gone over 200 in five years.
    Going forward its looking like more restrictions on antibiotics so I'll probably have to start milk recording and only treat the higher scc cows.
    That's the reason for the questions about the sealers I've no Faith in them.

Think boviseal may be under a new name?.' Could be completely wrong, saw it being advertised in ifj a few weeks back
    We buy ours off a local guy who sells doses/ minerals etc from his house, he rings around his customers every autumn as to how much sealer they want and has it bought for who needs it

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Got boviseal online. Will return the Noroseal to the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Got boviseal online. Will return the Noroseal to the vet.

where? l

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭alps

Do you need a prescription for sealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭straight

alps wrote: »
    Do you need a prescription for sealer?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭straight

I'm flooring a calf house here and want to put in good drains. Putting a calf feeder in the middle so I want a good drain out of it. Will aqua drains block up with straw. Would just a channel be better. Any alternatives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

straight wrote: »
    I'm flooring a calf house here and want to put in good drains. Putting a calf feeder in the middle so I want a good drain out of it. Will aqua drains block up with straw. Would just a channel be better. Any alternatives

If the aqua drains are outside the pen and you use a board to keep back straw they will be fine as you can keep them swept regularly. From my experience here with auto feeder: I have a concrete area around each feeder station and as calves get bigger its very hard to keep clean as they spend so much time loitering there especially when it starts weaning them off as they keep trying to get milk. Not sure what the solution is though!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement