Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

whelan2 wrote: »
    I am in the johnes scheme. Part of it is you dung sample any positive or inconclusive ones that show up on the bloods. I got 11 dung sampled 3 weeks ago. I got an email of the top 5 results. Apparently under the scheme once they get 5 positives they dont bother with the rest. Had ahi on to me this morning about my vramp and I asked about getting the results from the other 6 that were sampled. I would like to know if they were positive or not. Seems a bit silly that you dont get all the results

That's bollixing by ahi. If they are going to do it every thing should be done, and done right esp with something as difficult to test for as johnes. Was in the first scheme a number of years ago, had an old cow test inconclusive, negative and positive. Vet here said she was negative as 10 year old at the time and in good condition. Vet also said they were poor in terms of feed back also and this would be a vet that would want everything done right and is good to keep up to date. Didn't bother with it after due to that and the fact we ended up testing so often for tb

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Mooooo wrote: »
    That's bollixing by ahi. If they are going to do it every thing should be done, and done right esp with something as difficult to test for as johnes. Was in the first scheme a number of years ago, had an old cow test inconclusive, negative and positive. Vet here said she was negative as 10 year old at the time and in good condition. Vet also said they were poor in terms of feed back also and this would be a vet that would want everything done right and is good to keep up to date. Didn't bother with it after due to that and the fact we ended up testing so often for tb

I was of the opinion that if 11 cows were sampled we'd have 11 results. It's a joke. The woman from ah was to ring me back.She didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭alps

To be really fair to all the potential new entrants, to be able to accept them all and at the same investment fee as current producers, to not "pull up the ladder" as freedom put it, a genuine and workable proposal came out of our meeting today...

They must go Autumn calving...

alps wrote: »
    To be really fair to all the potential new entrants, to be able to accept them all and at the same investment fee as current producers, to not "pull up the ladder" as freedom put it, a genuine and workable proposal came out of our meeting today...

Would you produce your own expansion if any during the autumn? I certainly wouldn't unless I'd be getting 40c/ L

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Mooooo wrote: »
    Would you produce your own expansion if any during the autumn? I certainly wouldn't unless I'd be getting 40c/ L

Theres a good few farms across the water who would be low cost autumn calving.
    Excellent on grass management, and a simple diet of high quality silage and nuts in parlour.
    you do need labour though, pakn in the ring to have to drudge through the winter doing all the jobs yourself and milk cows

I follow a farm on facebook who start calving in june I think, they're new entrants about 4 years ago and it was the only contract they could get to supply milk. They cut the whole farm for silage in early may to have quality silage when cows go in for the winter, cows go out then to aftergrass in june.
    All irish cows too bought from david Clarke.
    Seems to work for them

• Advertisement

Excellent on grass management, and a simple diet of high quality silage and nuts in parlour.
    you do need labour though, pakn in the ring to have to drudge through the winter doing all the jobs yourself and milk cows

I follow a farm on facebook who start calving in june I think, they're new entrants about 4 years ago and it was the only contract they could get to supply milk. They cut the whole farm for silage in early may to have quality silage when cows go in for the winter, cows go out then to aftergrass in june.
    Seems to work for them

Keep it simple. No point killing yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Seems to work for them

Hammetts Dairy?

Hammetts Dairy?

Yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭mf240

Sure it can't continue endlessly building dryers and making powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Anyone at the farm walk up west today ? Farm with 8 farmers involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

I went to it a good day in fairness. Farm looked well, if you included stock value 2million spent for a 500 cow unit. The lads invovled would be good operators on their home farms.
    They gave warts and all in fairness to them. They are looking at a long term investment.

Seems to work for them

I know, exited winter myself but still reckon to cover labour and cost of feed along with extra facilities complexities 40c is what would be required. Planned on making good silage this year here too and got caught with rain for both cuts pushing harvest out so now have two pits of average silage.

yewtree wrote: »
    I went to it a good day in fairness. Farm looked well, if you included stock value 2million spent for a 500 cow unit. The lads invovled would be good operators on their home farms.
    They gave warts and all in fairness to them. They are looking at a long term investment.

Did they give any info on break up planning of it should happen.? That's where Greenfield has let everyone down as well not showing detail of how everyone exits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

alps wrote: »

Do glanbia have a flat investment fee per supplier or is it relative to how much you want to supply?

I see Condons have launched plastic cubicles in competition with easy fix. What are the life span of these compared to steel ones? Do they become brittle with age? What cost are they compared to sterl ones and do they move when the cows are in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

whelan2 wrote: »
    I see Condons have launched plastic cubicles in competition with easy fix. What are the life span of these compared to steel ones? Do they become brittle with age? What cost are they compared to sterl ones and do they move when the cows are in them.

Graham will answer those questions about a thousand times over the ploughing days next week. Have bought a lot of stuff of them over the past few years. Quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Seems to work for them

How does that work? Cows indoors milking for 4 or 5 months. What’s the advantage over calving them in Feb?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Im some what loathe to say this as it.may drag in a rake of "i told you so" s from strike thread but i think every dairy farmer should have a.plan to deal with their calves next spring.long term things will pan where they pan out but given the timing and likely outcome it id going to have an effect on this spring's trade.no good turing around next February saying what am i going to do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

The more I look aT the price of milk and the future, OAD really is an option

• Registered Users Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭straight

K.G. wrote: »
    Im some what loathe to say this as it.may drag in a rake of "i told you so" s from strike thread but i think every dairy farmer should have a.plan to deal with their calves next spring.long term things will pan where they pan out but given the timing and likely outcome it id going to have an effect on this spring's trade.no good turing around next February saying what am i going to do

Less cows maybe. Every calving is a risk and every calf is a cost.

• Advertisement

Sell them.
    Shoot then
    Or rear them yourself.

kevthegaff wrote: »
    The more I look aT the price of milk and the future, OAD really is an option

Why?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

mf240 wrote: »
    Sell them.
    Shoot then
    Or rear them yourself.

Unfortunately s calf disposal scheme for next year may have to be considered. 5 years of change might be rolled into one after the strike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

K.G. wrote:

totally agree with you .
    the fr bull calf is going to be a massive problem next spring ,
    so what are the realistic options .
    i would give them away free at 7 days but I doubt you'd even have takers ,
    bullet and skip ?? if it's allowed .
    where is our ifa's etc ,
    minister ??
    now is the time , not next spring .

is it not a interesting topic that would interest jack and the journal boys to get their teeth into .

usual story again , we have to find ourselves up to our neck in it before we react .

Unfortunately s calf disposal scheme for next year may have to be considered. 5 years of change might be rolled into one after the strike

Unfortunately so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Co-ops especially Glanbia won’t be rocking the boat either given their pull on milk prices, would be a red rag to a bull to start waffling on about social license and protecting Ireland dairy inc when they are bargain basement on what they are returning to suppliers

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Co-ops especially Glanbia won’t be rocking the boat either given their pull on milk prices, would be a red rag to a bull to start waffling on about social license and protecting Ireland dairy inc when they are bargain basement on what they are returning to suppliers

Talk is they wont be allowing bobby calves. The first questioned asked abroad when they go to sell product is what happens the dairy bull calves. If they're bobbied they'll just move onto the next company

• Registered Users Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭straight

Grass fed veal would be great. Might keep all y friesians but i dont know where will i put them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Talk is they wont be allowing bobby calves. The first questioned asked abroad when they go to sell product is what happens the dairy bull calves. If they're bobbied they'll just move onto the next company

I don’t think the Africans are asking what’s happening the bull calves, when their dumping milk powder over their, would be the only plausible explanation for current milk price, they certainly aren’t getting it sold on European markets given what their paying to its suppliers, their also able to sell on the Gdt auction platform, their isn’t a requirement for non-slaughter of calves to trade their...
    For arguments sake the markets that require milk where calves aren’t slaughtered could be gathered up from whatever % of farms is needed to fulfill these markets with a bonus payed to cover the extra costs and the rest that’s dumped into Africa/Asia and on the gdt platform can come from the remainder of farms where Bobbying calves is allowed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Logically there is absolutely no reason in the world for Ireland to have a bobby calf issue. We don't need to go down that route only for the fact that logic is gone totally out of the window.

The beef from a dairy animal is at least as good, if not tastier, than a suckler bred animal.
    The factories don't want huge continental carcasses, Angus and Hereford ideal for what they want, hence the bonus
    There is money to be had, relatively speaking, rearing calves to yearling or for second summer, especially in comparison to sucklers which is and has always been a dead end game.
    There is at least as much beef coming from the "dairy" side each year

Teagasc have a huge amount to answer for in this country. Our traditional system of cows in the south, rear the calves to store in the west, finish in the east, was perfect for this country. They ****ed it up from the dairy side by pushing everyone down the cows cows cows route, without any thought whatsoever for how we were going to sell the milk products, and they pushed us towards the Jersey route. They ****ed up the beef side by trying to convince sucklers to a) use continental cows weighing a ton in land suited to carrying light stock and b) started getting these guys to finish their stock by putting them down a high cost finishing route - pure and utter madness the whole lot of it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement