Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

straight wrote: »
    5.40. Gave it to the in calf heifers yesterday.

Was that off a vet? I got it for the same price as you last year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭straight

Was that off a vet? I got it for the same price as you last year

Just off my own vet. They said prices went up but they didn't put them up. I'd say I got it about a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Fine weather coming but it doesn't feel like it today. My cows are gone away back in milk compared to this time last year. Milking around 20 litres, down to 1.6 kgms. They were way up all year so maybe they are just correcting

There’s nothing wrong with 20 liters in September, your protein will jump.

Just off my own vet. They said prices went up but they didn't put them up. I'd say I got it about a month ago.

After getting it there for a little bit more than your price there. Couriered to the door by 1pm tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Anyone have a price on salmonella vaccine?
    6.50€ a cow up to 9€ a cow is what prices I've gotten so far

6.50/animal... did cows and heifers last sat wk while cattle were being checked for tb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Anyone have a price on salmonella vaccine?
    6.50€ a cow up to 9€ a cow is what prices I've gotten so far

€6 / cow from vet on a/c

I got a family memeber to collect it as I was busy , would probarbly have done better for payment on day,

might still wiggle a bit of discount when payin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Fine weather coming but it doesn't feel like it today. My cows are gone away back in milk compared to this time last year. Milking around 20 litres, down to 1.6 kgms. They were way up all year so maybe they are just correcting
    More drier feed in the form of ration or silage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

https://twitter.com/teagasc/status/1171072072711331841?s=19
    The link to last weeks winter milk conference is in that tweet for those interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Coolfresian

First of the autumn herd cows calved today, always good to start by getting a fresian heifer. love calving cows this time of the year in good weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

First of the autumn herd cows calved today, always good to start by getting a fresian heifer. love calving cows this time of the year in good weather.

3 calves here today. All heifers. Young lads Hereford heifer had an angus heifer calf too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Harvesting forage maize now. Excellent quality but back about 4tDM/ha. Getting lots of calls as farmers realize that volume is well back...excellent timing whilst maize price plummeting. It’s an ill wind and all that...

And also the booklet from the young farmer grassland winner open day.
    https://twitter.com/teagasc/status/1171476065979469824?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭mf240

Hope the creamerys are looking at the beef protests and learning that you can only ride lads for a certain length before they bite back

mf240 wrote: »
    Hope the creamerys are looking at the beef protests and learning that you can only ride lads for a certain length before they bite back

Maybe it's time for a dairy plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Harvesting forage maize now. Excellent quality but back about 4tDM/ha. Getting lots of calls as farmers realize that volume is well back...excellent timing whilst maize price plummeting. It’s an ill wind and all that...

Do you plant and see what way the market is and pit or sell or do you plant to order?

Mooooo wrote: »
    Do you plant and see what way the market is and pit or sell or do you plant to order?

We plant forage maize to order. One day a year orders are taken and direct debits set up. The rest is for grain maize but most of the grain maize can be used for forage also, so when grain maize is looking at €130/t and forage maize is €1250+/ha it’s probably prudent to sell it. I haven’t over sold (forward) grain maize because I’m hoping for early frosts in the US to drive price...
    Situation like now you’ve only a few days to make your mind up because transport kills forage maize and further than 6-8km of a haul quickly kills it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Maybe it's time for a dairy plan.

Oh sweet Jesus, wash out your mouth.

I'm sure the beef lads would be the first to help out...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭alps

forage maize is €1250+/ha .

Standing crop of forage Maize for 1250€/ ha?????

And we rabbit on about our competitive advantage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Fair aching today, put down a bit of concrete yesterday for gates a scraper bed, a few holes in the yard(had too much leftover). Satisfying when your finished tho

• Advertisement

Well all other farming systems have been destroyed and they seem to be going the same way with dairy. Gone from 60,000 dairy farmers to 17,000 and all we read about are the new entrants and those expanding. Primary producers are getting screwed all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Well all other farming systems have been destroyed and they seem to be going the same way with dairy. Gone from 60,000 dairy farmers to 17,000 and all we read about are the new entrants and those expanding. Primary producers are getting screwed all over the world.

And the only thing that will keep the 17,000 going without a big lift in output is a milk price north of 40c/l and climbing.

I am in the johnes scheme. Part of it is you dung sample any positive or inconclusive ones that show up on the bloods. I got 11 dung sampled 3 weeks ago. I got an email of the top 5 results. Apparently under the scheme once they get 5 positives they dont bother with the rest. Had ahi on to me this morning about my vramp and I asked about getting the results from the other 6 that were sampled. I would like to know if they were positive or not. Seems a bit silly that you dont get all the results

alps wrote: »
    Standing crop of forage Maize for 1250€/ ha?????

And we rabbit on about our competitive advantage?

Unfortunately that price is in the pit...

21 pits to do ranging from 4ha to 38ha.

Price is normally €1k in the pit for 22tDM/ha. Thing with maize is it’s easy and cheap to grow...and the yanks can produce it cheaper than us with gmo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Unfortunately that price is in the pit...

21 pits to do ranging from 4ha to 38ha.

Price is normally €1k in the pit for 22tDM/ha. Thing with maize is it’s easy and cheap to grow...and the yanks can produce it cheaper than us with gmo.

How many ha does it take to fill a 38ha pit?

whelan2 wrote: »
    I am in the johnes scheme. Part of it is you dung sample any positive or inconclusive ones that show up on the bloods. I got 11 dung sampled 3 weeks ago. I got an email of the top 5 results. Apparently under the scheme once they get 5 positives they dont bother with the rest. Had ahi on to me this morning about my vramp and I asked about getting the results from the other 6 that were sampled. I would like to know if they were positive or not. Seems a bit silly that you dont get all the results

Just finished scanning here and I will have a few spares incalf to replace any Johnes/Neospora culls that show up.

Better result than last year anyway thankfully. I was expecting a disasterous scan, tbh, we had a load of cows come bulling these last few weeks so wasn't expecting any of them to show up incalf. We must have counted 15 cows and heifers more than 10 weeks incalf showing signs of coming bulling in the last few weeks, supposed to be fairly common by the man doing the scanning. A few late calvers in calf and a few early calvers showing nothing at all:(

I can relax a bit now and start ordering the first round of rotovac.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭alps

Scanned yesterday. 5 MT plus 4 for May....but disgusted ..

10 in calf to twins...

Of 120...

How the phuq is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

10 in calf to twins...

Of 120...

How the phuq is that?
    That’s not bad neighbour had 14 sets out of 98 cows calved this spring

• Advertisement

10 in calf to twins...

Of 120...

How the phuq is that?
    Sure at least you know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement