Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Festival 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Have to be delighted for Mikey Enright, great post race interview there. Was interested in what Elliott said about not putting the amateur up on the horse because it would cost too much, at least that's what he appeared to say anyway, but not sure what he was getting at there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,453 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Sir Ector at 150/1 ew in the last looks a bit overpriced to me. With a more progressive run than last time it ran here and I reckon it will go close.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Aurora1966

Sir Ector at 150/1 ew in the last looks a bit overpriced to me. With a more progressive run than last time it ran here and I reckon it will go close.

Not a bad effort from the old boy, I think his best days are behind him but only a few lengths of the gambled on fav.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Whiskey sour is a definite bet in the hurdle for me today. Has course form. Ran a cracker on the flat recently and kept good company over hurdles all season. Ran an absolute belter in the county hurdle off a similar mark when showing a serious turn of foot between the last 2 which could be key here come the business end. Ran 2 nice races over hurdles since in graded company when ridden to place and the faster they go the better today.
    Ruby not onboard makes him a fair price too.
    The other one I'd give a squeak in the conditions is Jers girl with a few lb off her back.
    Been a pretty poor week for me so far though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Whiskey sour is a definite bet in the hurdle for me today. Has course form. Ran a cracker on the flat recently and kept good company over hurdles all season. Ran an absolute belter in the county hurdle off a similar mark when showing a serious turn of foot between the last 2 which could be key here come the business end. Ran 2 nice races over hurdles since in graded company when ridden to place and the faster they go the better today.
    Ruby not onboard makes him a fair price too.
    The other one I'd give a squeak in the conditions is Jers girl with a few lb off her back.
    Been a pretty poor week for me so far though.

Comments from Ruby himself.

'You could make a strong case for any of Willie’s runners in this one. I had to try to rule out a couple in order to make a decision.

Sharjah is not particularly well-handicapped and is lumped with 11-7 so I put a line through him. Paul Townend really fancies Good Thyne Tara, having been really impressed with here the last time out in Cork. Whiskey Sour’s course record is incredible, but is 3lbs higher than when he placed in the County Hurdle – he’s a Grade 1 winner but is a very small horse and 11-4 will be a lot of weight for him. Katie O’Farrell takes 5lbs off Voix Du Reve, whose last two wins were impressive, but came in much weaker races. This is a very competitive contest. I really fancied Blazer in the Galway Plate and he’ll want all the rain that has fallen in order to bring stamina into play in the Galway Hurdle.

But I went for Max Dynamite, who was the only one under 11 stone – and that’s really what swung me. Carrying over 11 stone is difficult in this race, even if Clondaw Warrior may have won on 11-4.

Still, it’s a shot in the dark. Any one of Willie’s could win'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

I'd probably have Max dynamite the first one of Mullins marked off the card in these conditions.
    Hasn't exactly been firing on all cylinders on the flat either. Shocked he's picked him but he knows a lot more than I in truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Normstorm

Few picks for today based on nothing but my own research & gut feeling! Best of luck to all!

1340 - Caltex
    1415 - Robin Des Forts
    1600 - Causey Arch
    1635 - Whiskey Sour
    1715 - High Expectations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Got to have a bet on Jers Girl with the ground and 33/1 5 places will do for ew.

Whiskey Sour the other bet at 7/1 win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭gazza1

Gone for 3 today

2.50 Perfect Soldier
    5.15 Camlann

Hurdle
    Whiskey Sour

GL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Some great extra place specials today across both meetings, perfect for ew doubles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭antietam

madmoose wrote: »
    Got to have a bet on Jers Girl with the ground and 33/1 5 places will do for ew.

Whiskey Sour the other bet at 7/1 win.

Jers Girl is a cracking mare but she was very heavily punted at Cheltenham[I know the previous owners]but she bled and has not run well since.She wants it deep and could be used as a pacemaker today but if they give her a soft lead she stays big time.Here's hoping she doesn't break down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mohican22

Ruby Walsh gave that Minella Beau some ride loose horses round him throughout kept abit up his sleeve until rounded turn and then got stuck in and got him up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Rashaan is some horse. Game as F**k!

BumperD wrote: »
    Was going to put it up here myself too but was busy in the ring coordinating about 30 runners in a frenzy of betting backing it at double figures, had to pull the car over on the N17 as the tires were hitting the wheel rims weighed down with cash just made it home live only 5 miles from track anyone know the closest bank that accepts cash without questions?
    Refer to page 6.How could I tell anyone to back it when I was told Stall 14 he had a less chance[best handicapped horse at Galway].But info changed later which i didn't post and unfortunately the Idiots [cannot or will never understand racing,pure clueless morons and facts state that]descended on me.I never tell lies,ever, but sometimes im right sometimes im wrong.I put up to PM my own horse in share with lads with Jers Girl,Callthebarman not to the monkeys on this site that have not got any clue[complete distain for their,opinion],pardon for the rant.There are some super intellegent posters on this site and I love reading their posts and their knowledge is excellent but the few bring this great site down with thier lack of class.Better add these most understanding posters go and support Cheltenham nights because the cannot see[ they need to be told].

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Brian Glesson doing my head in.He has picked up so much of that crazy **** presenting from ITV Racing.

djPSB wrote: »
    Comments from Ruby himself.

'You could make a strong case for any of Willie’s runners in this one. I had to try to rule out a couple in order to make a decision.

Sharjah is not particularly well-handicapped and is lumped with 11-7 so I put a line through him. Paul Townend really fancies Good Thyne Tara, having been really impressed with here the last time out in Cork. Whiskey Sour’s course record is incredible, but is 3lbs higher than when he placed in the County Hurdle – he’s a Grade 1 winner but is a very small horse and 11-4 will be a lot of weight for him. Katie O’Farrell takes 5lbs off Voix Du Reve, whose last two wins were impressive, but came in much weaker races. This is a very competitive contest. I really fancied Blazer in the Galway Plate and he’ll want all the rain that has fallen in order to bring stamina into play in the Galway Hurdle.

But I went for Max Dynamite, who was the only one under 11 stone – and that’s really what swung me. Carrying over 11 stone is difficult in this race, even if Clondaw Warrior may have won on 11-4.

Still, it’s a shot in the dark. Any one of Willie’s could win'
    Ruby is some gangster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

Rachel Blackmore the thick clown what was she doing at the start looking around cost the horse 20+ lenghts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I love Brian gleesons presenting. :)

antietam wrote: »
    Refer to page 6.How could I tell anyone to back it when I was told Stall 14 he had a less chance[best handicapped horse at Galway].But info changed later which i didn't post and unfortunately the Idiots [cannot or will never understand racing,pure clueless morons and facts state that]descended on me.I never tell lies,ever, but sometimes im right sometimes im wrong.I put up to PM my own horse in share with lads with Jers Girl,Callthebarman not to the monkeys on this site that have not got any clue[complete distain for their,opinion],pardon for the rant.There are some super intellegent posters on this site and I love reading their posts and their knowledge is excellent but the few bring this great site down with thier lack of class.Better add these most understanding posters go and support Cheltenham nights because the cannot see[ they need to be told].
    This is great, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

How many times have I put up Sharjah on this forum and today the only day I didn't touch him! Bollox anyway.

Actually thought ground went against him more than the weight being the negative. Oh well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

ANDREWMUFC wrote: »
    Rachel Blackmore the thick clown what was she doing at the start looking around cost the horse 20+ lenghts

And yesterday she was a brilliant jockey! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

You would think everything would be against Sharjah there today would have put plenty off and then wins easy. Had him in mind 3 weeks ago but havent the last few days, one that’s got away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Totally agree with Ted Walsh calling the Councils and lazy farmers a disgrace allowing Ragworth to grow wild every year.Its one of the most obnoxious weeds.Also,it is not only the ragworth,but roadside hedges and grass margins.I live here in West Offaly and we are totally abandoned by Offaly County Council who never maintain them anymore.It is the same in other counties,but Offaly is one of the worst.Anyway fair dues to Ted,some people might not like his style,but he says as he sees it.

Charlie Byrne's horse getting lashed into, he's having some form with the bumper horses this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

gazza1 wrote: »
    Gone for 3 today

2.50 Perfect Soldier
    5.15 Camlann

Hurdle
    Whiskey Sour

GL

Well done gazza

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

madmoose wrote: »
    You would think everything would be against Sharjah there today would have put plenty off and then wins easy. Had him in mind 3 weeks ago but havent the last few days, one that’s got away.

Couldn’t touch him on that ground

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭gazza1

BumperD wrote: »
    Couldn’t touch him on that ground

Agreed
    Was the first one I drew a line through. It's hard enough to try pick a winner and then that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I spoke with a number of pals who are regular racegoers and all are getting fed up with the scene. Mullins/Eliott fancied horses being turned over by horses from the same yard.
    I know its not Willie Mullins or Gordon Eliott that makes a horse favourite and if ownerships are dominated by McManus and O Leary theres not much can be done but ordinary punters are getting fed up with it. Its not just Galway but the whole winter this has being happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Edgware wrote: »
    I spoke with a number of pals who are regular racegoers and all are getting fed up with the scene. Mullins/Eliott fancied horses being turned over by horses from the same yard.
    I know its not Willie Mullins or Gordon Eliott that makes a horse favourite and if ownerships are dominated by McManus and O Leary theres not much can be done but ordinary punters are getting fed up with it. Its not just Galway but the whole winter this has being happening

In fairness lads backing favorites just because they are the favorite are going to lose money forever and always.
    If Gordon/Willie weren't sending numerous entries to these races they would be horrendous affairs and similar to the ****e you see at a mid week meeting in the UK.

• Advertisement

This is great, thank you.
    You Francie are a serious intelligent guy and posters should take extreme note of your intellect.

Advertisement