Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Runaways wrote: »
    - the Majority of people liked it. just get over it

- No I keep need to going on about it because I will convince someone eventually

If someone doesn't like people complaining they should stop reading the comments. If they don't want to discuss it, they stop replying to comments then.

People in general don't complain.
    a study by TARP Research as far back as 1999 uncovered the fact that for every 26 unhappy customers, only 1 will bother to make a formal complaint. The rest will either stay where they are disappointed or will silently take their business elsewhere. According to another research by 1st Financial Training services, 96% of unhappy customers don’t complain, 91% of those will simply leave and never come back.

We have a glut of CGI laden movies with very little substance. A lot of people can't tell the difference between a well made movie and a poor one. They will enjoy it regardless. But not everyone is the same.

If people love a bad movie great. But I don't see why people shouldn't say if they don't like something. No one is forced to read it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

You just proved my point and answered my question but shock horror people are allowed to like things you don’t

As mad as that sounds to your ears

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tony EH wrote: »
    Star Wars isn't hard, or at least shouldn't be. It only becomes difficult when you have writers that don't know what to do with the sandbox they find themselves in and a media company that insists on box ticking exercises with regards to characters. Characters that inevitably become redundant because the writers can't come up with anything for them to do.

These sequels should have been fairly easy to write. Have Rey (the lead was obviously going to be a female because of the "crimes
    It's not like they have to create something, all they had to do was pick one of the popular story lines and adapt it for the big screen.

There's a whole extended universe with multiple series of books.
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_books

And the games. And the Lego movies.

I have tried but I still haven't gotten through the Holiday Special so some of what's out there does need to be filtered.

You just proved my point and answered my question but shock horror people are allowed to like things you don’t

As mad as that sounds to your ears

I've already said each to their own. But you just ignore that and keep posting strawman. Which says it all.

It's not like they have to create something, all they had to do was pick one of the popular story lines and adapt it for the big screen.

I have tried but I still haven't gotten through the Holiday Special so some of what's out there does need to be filtered.

It's not all good certainly.

But this feels like they didn't know the material. Just had a shopping list of characters and items to include and just threw it all in a pot. Lots of movement, action, lense flare.

Job done. Wham bang thank you....

• Advertisement

That is some of the more ridiculous things I’ve ever read

I agree to a point you think Star Wars should be easy but sit down and try and actually Compile a list of what it is what makes it what it is and then write A film or a trilogy of films using those ingredients if you figured out what they are

If we all went away right now and tried to do that and came back in the morning and compare notes we would have hugely different lists

That’s what makes me laugh about the complainers here they think they know what Star Wars is and what it should be they havent the balls notion Outside of what they demand they think it should be

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭Homelander

With all due respect you're trying to over complicate a simple matter.

People expect good, coherent and consistent stories that are respectful of the established lore. The new trilogy just fell flat in that regard.

A fine opening chapter in Force Awakens, if a little too safe. But fundamentally not a bad base to work from.

What came after was one film that took the franchise in bold new directions, and a direct sequel that took a steaming turd over everything it did and ultimately said "Nah, F off, don't like what you did".

It was just a total disjointed mess as a trilogy. There was no vision, no over-arching narrative - just a jumbled mess of a story that was made up as it went along, leading to Rise of Skywalker.

Imagine if Return of the Jedi ignored Empire Strikes Back, or if Revenge of the Sith ignored Attack of the Clones?

At least the prequels were an actual solid, coherent story that was just told badly thanks to the lacklustre capability of George Lucas - but there was a perfectly fine, solid and consistent story at the core of it all.

Once again, there's a reason why the sequel trilogy is so divisive, while Rogue One and Mandalorian are universally praised.

The reasons people attack the prequels are completely different to why people attack the new trilogy.

Prequels = solid, consistent story, produced badly. Sequels = completely inconsistent story, produced much better.

That is some of the more ridiculous things I’ve ever read

I agree to a point you think Star Wars should be easy but sit down and try and actually Compile a list of what it is what makes it what it is and then write A film or a trilogy of films using those ingredients if you figured out what they are

If we all went away right now and tried to do that and came back in the morning and compare notes we would have hugely different lists

That’s what makes me laugh about the complainers here they think they know what Star Wars is and what it should be they havent the balls notion Outside of what they demand they think it should be

Well it is simple. its not about star wars. Its about not making bad movies.

Make a simple story. Its a family movie (usually PG)...
    Have a start middle and an End...
    If you want to jump back and forward in time,
    ...remake the Time machine by H. G. Wells...
    Has to make sense within the world. The pieces have to fit together...
    Stop implying incest. Stop virgin and miracle births...
    Finish one story thread before starting another and...
    ...stop introducing new story elements, as if they are important, then never mention them again....
    Reduce the size of the cast by 75%....
    Stop duplicating the story-lines from the other films, over an over again...
    ...I am your father, I am your sister, I am your Grandfather...
    ..everyone is not abandoned by their parents, grand parents, their entire family, in every movie... at least I hope not.
    No lens flare....
    No cavalry charges on space ships...
    There should not be more plot holes than actual plot...
    No one likes C3PO...

There are no Jedi, or light Sabre's in either Solo or Rogue one, AFAIK?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,506 ✭✭✭✭Varik

beauf wrote: »
    There are no Jedi, or light Sabre's in either Solo or Rogue one, AFAIK?

Wells there's lightsabres in both at the end of each substantially less so in Solo.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    Wells there's lightsabres in both at the end of each substantially less so in Solo.

Ah yes I remember now in Rogue. The one is Rogue is a great scene.
    I'm not sure that bit Solo really counts.

But very very little.

Homelander wrote: »
    With all due respect you're trying to over complicate a simple matter.

People expect good, coherent and consistent stories that are respectful of the established lore. The new trilogy just fell flat in that regard.

A fine opening chapter in Force Awakens, if a little too safe. But fundamentally not a bad base to work from.

What came after was one film that took the franchise in bold new directions, and a direct sequel that took a steaming turd over everything it did and ultimately said "Nah, F off, don't like what you did".

It was just a total disjointed mess as a trilogy. There was no vision, no over-arching narrative - just a jumbled mess of a story that was made up as it went along, leading to Rise of Skywalker.

Imagine if Return of the Jedi ignored Empire Strikes Back, or if Revenge of the Sith ignored Attack of the Clones?

At least the prequels were an actual solid, coherent story that was just told badly thanks to the lacklustre capability of George Lucas - but there was a perfectly fine, solid and consistent story at the core of it all.

Once again, there's a reason why the sequel trilogy is so divisive, while Rogue One and Mandalorian are universally praised.

The reasons people attack the prequels are completely different to why people attack the new trilogy.

Prequels = solid, consistent story, produced badly. Sequels = completely inconsistent story, produced much better.

We are obviously looking at the same film and trilogy from very different directions
    Rian Johnson Left JJ with a totally blank Canvas Which was cool of him given JJ had totally boxed him into a corner with the end of TFA. Who is this girl why is Luke stuck on that island what is his mental state how come there is a new first-order empire all of that

Ryan addressed all of that fairly admirably in my view
    JJ seems to have focused in on the central characters Ray and Kylo Who by the way are giving a beautiful dynamic by Johnson In the last Jedi
    I agree with you everything around it is just frills but there is the central story Just as return of the Jedi is simply about Luke and Vader

Nothing happens or takes place to any of the other characters it’s simply about Luke and his father and Lukes effort to redeem Him

PS return of the Jedi you can actually watch in isolation not knowing anything about what came before you don’t need any of the information in the other two films to inform you experience it doesn’t depend on the previous two at all.

Just to add Rogue one isn’t universally praised it’s a jumbled mess especially the first 2/3 the last act saves it

t’s enjoyable overall though even though there are loads of hardcore fans don’t like it

Saw this last month and was shocked by what a mess it was. So much happening and I cared so little about any of it by the end. Script, plot, performances were as bad as any movie I've seen in years.

Though the second of this trilogy did a poor job also but it was a far better effort than this hyperactive garbage.

Rogue One is, for me, the best of all the SW movies.

... Who is this girl why is Luke stuck on that island what is his mental state how come there is a new first-order empire all of that

Ryan addressed all of that fairly admirably in my view

They reduced Luke to basically a pointless cameo.

Hes hiding because he's scared.
    He teaches Ray nothing.
    You could argue he's there to save her. Except
    Ray doesn't need saving as she is basically omnipotent, when ever she needs to be.
    Why, just because...

They could have skipped Luke entirely. He made no difference. So Luke what you been up for the past 20yrs or so. I gave up and hid on a barren rock scared stiff. For 20 yes. Yeah. How did that work out? Not great.

Include Luke. Ticked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Why do Star Wars fans go around crying all the time? If they hate the film so so much why do they go around everywhere posting about it? I hated Birds of Prey for instance, I turned it off after an hour, that's it. I haven't thought about the movie at all until just now or when someone asked should they watch it. If something is awful I tend to just laugh about it every now and then when someone brings it up or forget about it, but I'm not looking for the boards Birds of Prey section to post essays about it. It's weird.

As for Luke, I liked him in TLJ, he felt needed to me, he's the reason for Kylo leaving, he did try murder Kylo, it showed that all this light and dark stuff is bollocks and even Luke has doubts. It made it a lot greyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭Homelander

People using discussion forums on the internet to discuss one of the biggest movie franchises in history. What an absolute shocker.

You're right, we should take example from a comic-book flop that no-one cares about and was forgotten about a few days after it released, and compare it directly with one of films biggest franchises that has spanned generations.

What an excellent yardstick and comparison.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Homelander wrote: »
    People using discussion forums on the internet to discuss one of the biggest movie franchises in history. What an absolute shocker.

You're right, we should take example from a comic-book flop that no-one cares about and was forgotten about a few days after it released, and compare it directly with one of films biggest franchises that has spanned generations.

What an excellent yardstick and comparison.

And not just one of the biggest movie franchises, but one of the biggest pop-culture totems in the world; something that literally redefined cinema, as well as informed hundreds - maybe even thousands - of other artists or creatives in how they approach Science Fiction. Then there's the billions of fans who - for better or worse - have an invested, emotional relationship with the franchise.

Yeah. Bit disingenuous to feign indignancy over people taking Star Wars to heart, or analysing it more than other blockbusters. It changed cinema, Science Fiction, fandom, and pop-culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    he did try murder Kylo

One of the many assassinations of Luke's character in that turd of a movie, and why the movie itself is despised among the first generation of Star Wars fans. Even then there's two sides of that story pitted against each other, one from Ben's point of view and one from Luke's, with the latter half in dispute. So which one was the truth? We never know, but if Kylo Ren was telling the truth then Luke is a liar as well as a snivelling, cowardly, bitter hermit? Absolute tosh. Completely unforgivable writing.

There is a difference between discussing a film and going on and on and on and on and on and on about how much you hate it. To say there is nothing good from the new film is nonsense. Especially coming from people who thing the prequels are great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭DrGreenThumb82

Massive Star Wars fan here. Have loads of collectibles, grew up on the original trilogy, was really disappointed with the prequels, terrible movies altogether. Saw Force Awakens in cinema and liked it better than any of the prequels.

Last Jedi...I didn't go to see it in the cinema. Couldn't believe what I was reading about it and how they treated Luke. Eventually watched it online. Hated it, absolutely disgusting movie.

Didn't bother watching Rise of Skywalker. Disney have killed my interest in Star Wars.

I'll stick to the original trilogy and ignore the rest. Kathleen Kennedy should go down in cinema history as having destroyed one of the greatest movie franchises of all time.

DVD finally arrived I’m looking forward to watching this again I hope I like it as much as I remember liking it
    Maybe wait till the weekend and watch all three at last

I got around to watching ROTS about a month ago. I remember my reaction being along the lines of 'spectacular mess' at the time, but now I remember f-all about the movie apart from Rey v Kylo in the water.

What a wasted opportunity with this trilogy and a total mishandling. ROTJ was probably the most interesting and memorable of the 3, but even that was dog rough.

I just don't get it, I wish I did.

There is a difference between discussing a film and going on and on and on and on and on and on about how much you hate it. To say there is nothing good from the new film is nonsense. Especially coming from people who thing the prequels are great.

You seem to have a very simplistic view of everything. What exactly were you expecting from this thread. Lots of "its great" one line comments? Does that ever happen on any forum never mind this wretched hive of scum and villainy.

I just don't get it, I wish I did.

If you liked it great.

But you should at least understand why some don't like it only because they explained in detail why. Even if you disagree with it. You are entitled to your own opinion.

The Critical Drinker sums up much of my problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

But didn't Kennedy say there wasn't any "source material" LOL. In fairness though, 99% of it seemed to be absolute shite.

They could have done a number of things differently and produced a much better result. Or even just a decent one, instead of the utter dreck that they did muddle themselves up with.

Re: The Holiday Special, don't bother trying. It isn't worth your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Why do Star Wars fans go around crying all the time? If they hate the film so so much why do they go around everywhere posting about it? I hated Birds of Prey for instance, I turned it off after an hour, that's it. I haven't thought about the movie at all until just now or when someone asked should they watch it. If something is awful I tend to just laugh about it every now and then when someone brings it up or forget about it, but I'm not looking for the boards Birds of Prey section to post essays about it. It's weird.

As for Luke, I liked him in TLJ, he felt needed to me, he's the reason for Kylo leaving, he did try murder Kylo, it showed that all this light and dark stuff is bollocks and even Luke has doubts. It made it a lot greyer.

Why are you bothering to even come here, if it's just to complain about people discussing a film or a series of films. It's a discussion forum and people will air their views.

Deal with it.

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    Why are you bothering to even come here, if it's just to complain about people discussing a film or a series of films. It's a discussion forum and people will air their views.

Deal with it.

Ehhhh

Lol

Advertisement