Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Critical Drinker sums up much of my problems with it.

Personally think people like The Critical Drinker and his fellow perpetually outrage-mongering youtubers are a good example of why so much online film discourse is in the absolute toilet. A pathological obsession with American culture war guff; a creepy level of mania about any piece of popular media featuring any woman in a lead role; a seemingly complete lack of awareness of film culture outside a bunch of mega-franchises; and an amusingly adolescent inability to understand cinematic storytelling or language in any sort of depth or nuance. The absolute worst and ugliest side of modern day nerd culture.

I dislike The Rise of Skywalker as much as the next guy, but The Critical Drinker sure as heck ain't my kind of thinker on why that is :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

I don’t know if anyone is interested but the art of the rise of skywalker book it up on Amazon for only £20 so €25 delivered that’s a steal. Shop price is €36
    These books are fascinating I have the two from the other two films and the artists at Lucasfilm are given free reign and often the script ideas come out of these paintings and models

there is about 10 different Star Wars films in each book and youd want alll of them Made

well with picking up and are beautifully made

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Tony EH wrote: »
    Why are you bothering to even come here, if it's just to complain about people discussing a film or a series of films. It's a discussion forum and people will air their views.

Deal with it.

Most you aren't discussing the film. You are just crying how Star Wars is ruined forever and dead and blah blah. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Most you aren't discussing the film. You are just crying how Star Wars is ruined forever and dead and blah blah. lol

Most of you haven't even watched the movies...blah blah blah...lol

beauf wrote: »
    Most of you haven't even watched the movies...blah blah blah...lol

I've seen all of them bar the original 3 and the 2nd prequel but know them inside and out from years and years of watching documentaries about the franchise. I've seen most of the originals and played them but never sat down to watch them all properly as they bore me. I get the angelus on a Sunday night, into the bath and up for school Monday feeling off the originals.

• Advertisement

Lol you proved my point, haven't watched them. Just nonsense about the baths and angelus....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Posting about Star Wars, in a Star Wars thread, but hasn't actually seen the original trilogy.

Uhm, right.

"I've seen all of them bar the original 3" - that's like saying you've seen all the Godfather trilogy, except the first 2 :rolleyes: :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

To be fair that’s not as funny as certain posters going on about the internal workings of Lucasfilm and Disney and how it’s all being screwed up by them at board meetings

We have even less a clue about that stuff you could be aware of everything in Star Wars without ever seeing such is its cultural presence

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Indeed; the obsession with Kathleen Kennedy from some folk (not necessarily here) is unhealthy; executives have f*cked up Hollywood franchises for decades - including George Lucas really - yet the frothing, rage for Kennedy is almost scary. Even if half of it is from limp YouTube Outrage peddlers like "critical drinker"

Yeah maybe you need to accept some of us don't like the original Star Wars film? I tried to watch them but the woeful acting, writing and tone just bores me. Like I said I know exactly how the movies go. I've seen the family guy versions and the Lego remakes so I know beat for beat. I was obsessed with how they're made but don't like watching them.

It's okay for you to hate the new films so it's okay for me to not rate the originals. It goes both ways. You can't tell me the Ewoks in Jedi were good? You can't say the originals are free from flaws or nonsense. SW has always been nonsense popcorn flick material. You just think it has this deeper meaning. It doesn't. Anyways I'm off to watch 3 hours of the budget talks... oh wait no that's AOTC. Haha. How did Lucas think we'd wanna watch hours of trade talk and negotiations?

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Posting about Star Wars, in a Star Wars thread, but hasn't actually seen the original trilogy.

Uhm, right.

"I've seen all of them bar the original 3" - that's like saying you've seen all the Godfather trilogy, except the first 2 :rolleyes: :D

It's a Rise of Skywalker thread actually.

It's a Rise of Skywalker thread actually.

Actually, it's a Star Wars thread and you know damn well it is. You're the one talking about the original trilogy and having not seen them, you brought up the segue. "actually" yourself :)

Its like a kid doing a book review without reading the book lol.

Indeed; the obsession with Kathleen Kennedy from some folk (not necessarily here) is unhealthy; executives have f*cked up Hollywood franchises for decades - including George Lucas really - yet the frothing, rage for Kennedy is almost scary. Even if half of it is from limp YouTube Outrage peddlers like "critical drinker"

Never heard of her till this you mentioned her here.

I assume this comes back to rolling things out to a formula.

Lot of rabid ranting from "influencers" who just take it too far.
    People give them far too much attention.

Actually, it's a Star Wars thread and you know damn well it is. You're the one talking about the original trilogy and having not seen them, you brought up the segue. "actually" yourself :)

(Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**)

This is the thread title. So...

Also I'm not reviewing anything. I'm saying I didn't enjoy the originals when I tried them. Deal with it. Like I deal with you haters of Disney.

(Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**)

This is the thread title. So...

Also I'm not reviewing anything. I'm saying I didn't enjoy the originals when I tried them. Deal with it. Like I deal with you haters of Disney.

And what's the first two words of the title? If you can't figure out why debating Star Wars overall might be relevant in a thread about the last Episode of the series, we're not going to agree. Or you're just being flippant and disingenuous.

And you either watched the original trilogy or you didn't. Which is it? There is no try.

"Haters"? Grow up.

Runaways wrote: »
    We have even less a clue about that stuff you could be aware of everything in Star Wars without ever seeing such is its cultural presence

"We have even less a clue about that stuff.

You could be aware of everything in Star Wars, without seeing it

Such is its cultural presence"

But you wouldn't have context. That indeed could be the issue in this this thread. People are not looking at the movies in context. But arguing about issues can only be understood if you have a context.

People can enjoy a movie out of context, for sure. But thats why people are a cross purposes in this thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Can we please lay off the incessant, unnecessary hostility please? This thread is absolutely painful to read because of the bizarre combativeness of some posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

No one hates Star Wars as much as Star Wars fans its truly bizarre!!

beauf wrote: »
    Never heard of her till this you mentioned her here.

I assume this comes back to rolling things out to a formula.

Lot of rabid ranting from "influencers" who just take it too far.
    People give them far too much attention.

Can't speak to your own orbit of information but Kennedy has been a name dropped often into the online conversation whenever a SW film has stumbled; be it Solo, Last Jedi or this. Her name was mentioned a few times just in the last few pages of this thread alone - probably hundreds of times in the Last Jedi thread so not sure how you avoided it TBH ;)

It's less "influencers" I think, more the big swill of YouTube, where standing out in the pop culture chatterati usually means picking a gimmick, then a hill to die on, before ploughing it into the ground with hyperbole. For whatever reason, Kennedy has been a particular useful target of ire.

Unrelated to SW, I've listened to a few sober voices who have pointed out that by and large, on YouTube, their videos with a distinctly negative vibe get more Views than positive ones. If the maxim of "sex sells" was ever true for traditional advertising, then "outrage sells" is the new law for YouTube. A video screaming about SJWs in Captain Marvel is more likely to attract clicks than - say - a video reviewing Captain Marvel as a bland, forgettable film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

I've seen all of them bar the original 3 and the 2nd prequel but know them inside and out from years and years of watching documentaries about the franchise. I've seen most of the originals and played them but never sat down to watch them all properly as they bore me. I get the angelus on a Sunday night, into the bath and up for school Monday feeling off the originals.

You mean you went to Mass dirty?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

...and all you're doing is complaining about people complaining.

You've just made a fool of yourself.

Can't speak to your own orbit of information but Kennedy has been a name dropped often into the online conversation whenever a SW film has stumbled; be it Solo, Last Jedi or this. Her name was mentioned a few times just in the last few pages of this thread alone - probably hundreds of times in the Last Jedi thread so not sure how you avoided it TBH ;)

. .

Only watched the movie the other week. Only then found this thread and skipped straight to the end.

Don't really watch those kind of you tube channels. I find them toxic and negative.

That's how.

In fairness, Kennedy was handed the reins of Star Wars and under stewardship the journey has been less than stellar, shall we say. So, in that respect, she's going to draw criticism, a lot of which will be valid.

There will, of course, be the usual OTT YouTube vids and commentary that will eschew any kind of logical reasoned points and go straight to nonsense. But the only people who take heed of that are the ones who's already held opinions are being massaged.
    It's less "influencers" I think, more the big swill of YouTube, where standing out in the pop culture chatterati usually means picking a gimmick, then a hill to die on, before ploughing it into the ground with hyperbole. For whatever reason, Kennedy has been a particular useful target of ire.

It's a shtick, and one that works well for the particular audience that seeks such stuff out. But that doesn't mean that Kathleen Kennedy should be free of criticism where her handling of Star Wars is concerned. She's the chief of Lucasfilm and her decisions have had a direct impact on the mess that is Star Wars under Disney.
    Unrelated to SW, I've listened to a few sober voices who have pointed out that by and large, on YouTube, their videos with a distinctly negative vibe get more Views than positive ones.

This is always the way. It's tabloid syndrome. Look at 'Rogue One', the only Disney film that has had the majority of fans approach it with an agreeable stance. Because of that, it's "debate footprint" is a fraction of something like 'The Last Jedi'. Or even 'The Empire Strikes Back', which is generally agreed to be the best film of the whole lot. I'd say that the talking points of that movie are a fraction of something like 'The Phantom Menace'.

I think people, in general, prefer to analyse what it is that irks them, as opposed to what they actually like. If one dislikes something, then there is something "wrong", as it were, and we have a natural tendency to try and figure it out. This is especially true when that dislike comes on the back of something that one generally likes.

I think there is a difference between something you don't like, because say its all visual with no substance, but is enjoyable for what it. To something thats a mess, and actually detracts from your enjoyment, assuming you notice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The sequels could've been so much better than they were, a consistent director throughout would've helped instead of hopping from Abrams, Johnson, Trevorrow, then back to Abrams again after Trevorrow departed. Was his Duel Of The Fates script that leaked legitimate?

The Force Awakens (while an homage of A New Hope) was actually a decent starting point. I mean Snoke could've been an interesting villain throughout, but he got bifurcated in The Last Jedi, just to bring back Palpatine in The Rise Of Skywalker other than to reveal he's alive and well, and oh he's Rey's grandfather as well BTW.

Snoke could easily have carried it all out over the trilogy using Kylo and The First Order as his pawns to
    1. Find and kill (or attempt to) Luke Skywalker to snuff out the Resistance once and for all.

2. Find the grand daughter of Sheev Palpatine, offering to reveal her true lineage to her, in hopes she'd join the Dark Side and rule the Galaxy as Snoke's apprentice/eventual Empress in place of Kylo, who senses the plot against him, defects to The Resistance.

3. Luke also senses Snoke's plot and it becomes an objective to both Luke and Snoke to find Rey before the other.

4. Rey rejects both the overtures of Luke and Snoke insisting on going on her own path, same with Ben who eventually comes to the same conclusion after a chat with Leia.

5. End the trilogy with both Rey & Ben at this stage teaming up to defeat Snoke, and embracing both light and dark sides of the Force, but as Gray Jedi.

But we got what we got, some loved it, some hated it, and some were absolutely indifferent to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

The whole Rey being a Palpatine bugs me on so many levels. Not least because it adds a whole extra layer to the coincidence sandwich of Jaaku. Now we have the only guy who knows the location of Luke Skywalker on the same planet as the Millennium Falcon and Palpatine's grand-daughter and none of these things are connected in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    The whole Rey being a Palpatine bugs me on so many levels. Not least because it adds a whole extra layer to the coincidence sandwich of Jaaku. Now we have the only guy who knows the location of Luke Skywalker on the same planet as the Millennium Falcon and Palpatine's grand-daughter and none of these things are connected in any way.
    Yeah, it's like they're making it up as they go along. /s?

• Advertisement

Dirk Gently would be proud...

Advertisement