Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Eh Kennedy is all over the Mandoloarian and everyone loves that? So...

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    The sequels could've been so much better than they were, a consistent director throughout would've helped instead of hopping from Abrams, Johnson, Trevorrow, then back to Abrams again after Trevorrow departed. Was his Duel Of The Fates script that leaked legitimate?

The Force Awakens (while an homage of A New Hope) was actually a decent starting point. I mean Snoke could've been an interesting villain throughout, but he got bifurcated in The Last Jedi, just to bring back Palpatine in The Rise Of Skywalker other than to reveal he's alive and well, and oh he's Rey's grandfather as well BTW.

Snoke could easily have carried it all out over the trilogy using Kylo and The First Order as his pawns to
    1. Find and kill (or attempt to) Luke Skywalker to snuff out the Resistance once and for all.

2. Find the grand daughter of Sheev Palpatine, offering to reveal her true lineage to her, in hopes she'd join the Dark Side and rule the Galaxy as Snoke's apprentice/eventual Empress in place of Kylo, who senses the plot against him, defects to The Resistance.

3. Luke also senses Snoke's plot and it becomes an objective to both Luke and Snoke to find Rey before the other.

4. Rey rejects both the overtures of Luke and Snoke insisting on going on her own path, same with Ben who eventually comes to the same conclusion after a chat with Leia.

5. End the trilogy with both Rey & Ben at this stage teaming up to defeat Snoke, and embracing both light and dark sides of the Force, but as Gray Jedi.

But we got what we got, some loved it, some hated it, and some were absolutely indifferent to it.

Even if we got what you suggested they'd still hate it, you can't please anyone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Runaways wrote: »
    I agree to a point you think Star Wars should be easy but sit down and try and actually Compile a list of what it is what makes it what it is and then write A film or a trilogy of films using those ingredients if you figured out what they are
    There are multiple story arcs in the extended universe in books, graphic novels, cartoon and Lego. Pick one, spend a lot of time on casting and add special effects.

beauf wrote: »
    Stop duplicating the story-lines from the other films, over an over again...
    I think this one reason why I like Rogue One better than The Force Awakens.

Rise Of Skywalker final battle. Oh dear.
    Journeys to far away planets in the Star Wars universe should take days especially when they have in earlier in the same film.

Single point of failure cringe. Here is a manual for a WWII torpedo. It used a gyroscope powered by blowing compressed air at a spinning wheel so it could navigate without sensing any of it's surroundings.

They reduced Luke to basically a pointless cameo.

They could have skipped Luke entirely. He made no difference. So Luke what you been up for the past 20yrs or so. I gave up and hid on a barren rock scared stiff. For 20 yes. Yeah. How did that work out? Not great..
    If you follow the Machete Order the whole thing is the saga of Luke.

I can't find the cartoon but hiding for years is what Jedi do.
    Look at Obi Wan hiding in the desert or Yoda hiding in the swamp. :p

Tony EH wrote: »
    Re: The Holiday Special, don't bother trying. It isn't worth your time.
    It's gone beyond that,

I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Never realised until now that it's George Lucas' birthday today. 76 years young.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Even if we got what you suggested they'd still hate it, you can't please anyone.

Well it would've given Rey a clear arc through the trilogy, with the revelation either coming somewhere in the 2nd (preferably as a cliff-hanger for the 2nd) or 3rd film of who she really is, instead of being the OP'd Mary Sue who mysteriously suddenly has Force powers.

I liked Daisy Ridley in the role, but just couldn't connect with the character on screen.

At least Adam Driver as Ben/Kylo had a clear arc. Even if he was bitched out in The Rise Of Skywalker, giving his own life for Rey's.

They could've at least taken a page from Marvel's well established play-book on how to do a trilogy.

But it's all should've and could've now at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Eh Kennedy is all over the Mandoloarian and everyone loves that? So...

As an Executive Producer only.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

No one hates Star Wars as much as Star Wars fans its truly bizarre!!

e224aef2e6e75ef2e7352e6344d01dcd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Remember games of thrones final season. Wow...

Remember games of thrones final season. Wow...

It's crazy how quickly that died. Nobody talks about it.

People said they like some movies not others. So if they hated them all they wouldn't be commenting at all, they probably would only have watched I've or two and given up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭Homelander

I find it really strange that you're so insistent on defending ROS from valid and reasoned criticism.

Your logic seems to be that despite the fact that we got a half-baked, completely disjointed finale that takes a **** on its own preceding movie, "Ah, they'd hate it so matter what".

Do you take this approach with every movie/franchise? Or is it just Star Wars that you have this peculiar notion that the big fans just want to hate it for hating's sake and it should be immune to logical criticism?

I mean, what about the film critics? They were very positive about Force Awakens and Last Jedi, but generally luke-warm/negative on Rise of Skywalker?

Could it possibly be, that objectively, in the eyes of a non-invested critic, it's simply a passable film but simultaneously a pretty poor finale when taken in the context of the movies that came before it?

Or, I suppose, you think the critics have some ulterior motive as well?

You can dress it up any way you want really, but accusing people of hating a movie for the sake of wanting to hate it, is a fairly crap argument.

I've never once defended ROS, I've just posted how I love it and don't understand how people think it's trash or one of the worst films ever.

...I think this one reason why I like Rogue One better than The Force Awakens.

If you follow the Machete Order the whole thing is the saga of Luke.

I can't find the cartoon but hiding for years is what Jedi do.
    Look at Obi Wan hiding in the desert or Yoda hiding in the swamp. :p

Jedi hiding, that was because they were being hunted down and killed, and they were very old by that point. Luke did it because he was depressed. Which is kinda different. Also they were found in about 10 mins. So not really hiding. Luke took an entire movie to find. I like Rogue. I also like Awakens mostly even if its a straight plagiarism of the first movie. To quote Ratatouille I could muscle my way past the gag reflex and find things to enjoy.

I like the idea of the Machete Order. Never heard of that before. I've kinda given up caring. I was so baffled by the prequels, I just couldn't understand the mindset of those. That I read the Secret History of Star Wars and that was like a light bulb moment.

Some people cannot admit they are wrong, so if they make a mistake they will keep going forward, compounding the mistake instead of correcting it, or learning from it, and not repeating. Bit like Trump. They will use force to muscle past it. So I don't think they anticipated the success of Star Wars. Its really self contained story. whole twist in Empire, is really just making it up as you go along kinda thing. But having done that, he needed backstory, and hes basically been back filling that since then.

That's really the mindset that is driving these movies. So the logic in these movies is not driven by story. Its driven by that mindset. Its also revisionist. Keeps re-inventing the past. Which is why he keep changing the old movies to make it seem like there as this massive story arc that was planned all along. At the same time deleting anything, that runs counter to this revision. When you consider the various viewing order (Machete Order) etc. They are really just chopping this revisionist stuff out, so it makes sense.

Central to this is the whole Star Killer, thing. Not many movies where the central character doesn't get the most screen time. Especially if you didn't know there will be a sequel.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls027631145/

I've never once defended ROS, I've just posted how I love it and don't understand how people think it's trash or one of the worst films ever.

That's grand. One of my favourite movies of all time is called This Is Spinal Tap. I've played it for friends before who told me it's the greatest pile of shíte they've ever seen.

My own enjoyment wasn't spoiled, and my life went on. If you love TROS and get enjoyment from it, screw everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    That's grand. One of my favourite movies of all time is called This Is Spinal Tap. I've played it for friends before who told me it's the greatest pile of shíte they've ever seen.

My own enjoyment wasn't spoiled, and my life went on. If you love TROS and get enjoyment from it, screw everyone else.
    That's the right attitude. You like what you like, and they like what they like. The world would be bloody boring if we all agreed. It's much more interesting if you can articulate why and what you like or dislike about something. Taking others' criticisms of what you like is key to that becoming a conversation and not an argument. No point arguing on the internet anyway - it's full of imbeciles who disagree with me. :)

As has been said if you enjoy it great. No problem with that.

But its all over the place.

For example in the Mandalorian, there's a bit where a couple of storm troopers do some target practice and can't hit anything. Its irreverent, and funny, and clearly demonstrates a knowledge of the source material and the context of those characters and their place in the world in which they exist.

Have to say I liked Wing Commander Movie obviously lots wrong with it. But I'm a sucker for big space ship vs big ship battles.

A tiny Cavalry charge vs massive fleet of gigantic ships. Not so much. I'm ok with giant space creatures though. Which makes no sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Watched it again and my original review stands
    This film is a hot mess but it’s great fun

It reminds me of transformers movie...

If people enjoy it fine.

Yeah Star Wars is dead
    ( see attached pic quite remarkable actually )

• Advertisement

As has been said if you enjoy it great. No problem with that.

But its all over the place.

For example in the Mandalorian, there's a bit where a couple of storm troopers do some target practice and can't hit anything. Its irreverent, and funny, and clearly demonstrates a knowledge of the source material and the context of those characters and their place in the world in which they exist.

I loved that bit with them missing, it was a pure piss take and made sense haha.

Also seen someone mention Spinal Tap. What a brilliant film. I love it.

It reminds me of transformers movie...

If people enjoy it fine.

In my view it’s the most true to Lucas‘s vision of all the films
    It feels like an omnibus episode of the old Flash Gordon serials he loved
    Loads of wacky adventures and of course the big bad guy

PS Lucas is on record saying he was always going to bring the Emperor back himself in his version of the story so let’s stop giving out about that

In my view it’s the most true to Lucas‘s vision of all the films
    It feels like an omnibus episode of the old Flash Gordon serials he loved
    Loads of wacky adventures and of course the big bad guy

PS Lucas is on record saying he was always going to bring the Emperor back himself in his version of the story so let’s stop giving out about that

George says a lot of things, most of it doesn't add up when you examine it in detail. hes pretty much making it up as he goes along, and making out he isn't. His focus was always the Visual. How it all fits together visually, he doesn't care about anything else. The movies all reflect this approach.

I used to watch those Flash Gordon B&W TV shows. They use to re-run them when I was a small kid. I think on a sat morning. Always remember those ships with the sparklers. Very retro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3pxKOzeZIA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭Homelander

While bringing him back would never be a good idea, the real problem in ROS is that it comes out of nowhere and the reveal is as elegant as a wet fart.

It is was an intrinsic part of the plan from TFA and the plot accommodated it, it would've been far less damaging.

But it wasn't, it was a "oh yeah, this happened" in the opening crawl in ROS out of nowhere.

Homelander wrote: »
    While bringing him back would never be a good idea, the real problem in ROS is that it comes out of nowhere and the reveal is as elegant as a wet fart.

It is was an intrinsic part of the plan from TFA and the plot accommodated it, it would've been far less damaging.

But it wasn't, it was a "oh yeah, this happened" in the opening crawl in ROS out of nowhere.

I think when you rewatch this trilogy knowing He’s behind it all It will come good

They did in fact set it up to be him in loads of the new Canon books like aftermath and Thrawn And all those books are tied into the movies just as Mandalorian is And clone wars etc

I think when you rewatch this trilogy knowing He’s behind it all It will come good

They did in fact set it up to be him in loads of the new Canon books like aftermath and Thrawn And all those books are tied into the movies just as Mandalorian is And clone wars etc

The Emperor would only be a minor annoyance for me. its the death of thousand paper cuts with this movies.

It wasn't helped by one of my kids, going, "they never explain that" constantly as I watched it. :mad:

The funny thing is the really good at world building in other materials like comics and books that’s probably where you get that story

That’ll s mostly bollocks Lucas Was plagued with mmoney troubles during all the productions of each of the original trilogy films

• Advertisement

What story are you referring to?

That link doesn't say he didn't have money problems, its just saying how it turned out to be a smart decision financially in the long run.

But that is why there are so many toys and other stuff. Its a real money spinner.

Advertisement