Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Now that is seriously cruel. I laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

What would he have thought had he been benched after dragging that team to the playoffs.
    If he can handle the hype of dragging the team to the playoffs, then when he stinks he can handle being replaced by a veteran.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

I know they’re taking the piss but I’ve also seen a lot of similar serious comments on Twitter. Romo was seriously underrated as a player, he was top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

radharc wrote:
    I know they’re taking the piss but I’ve also seen a lot of similar serious comments on Twitter. Romo was seriously underrated as a player, he was top notch.
    He was overrated of anything.
    The amount of people I had to listen to telling me he was right up there with Brees was unbelievable.
    He never performed in the playoffs and I don't remember him leading his team back from behind very often. He had a great receiving tight end in Jason Witten and some great receivers over his career.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

eagle eye wrote: »
    The amount of people I had to listen to telling me he was right up there with Brees was unbelievable.
    He never performed in the playoffs and I don't remember him leading his team back from behind very often. He had a great receiving tight end in Jason Witten and some great receivers over his career.

Really? He did it a lot in fact he is up there for QB's for 4th quarter comebacks. He has 24 in total, which puts him 17th all time, most of those ahead of him are HOF QB's or will be once they are eligible.

He's also 5th all time in career passer rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Iirc he had one, if not, the highest number of come back wins. I think he was a top top QB, Cowboys ****ed up not bringing him back. Cruel fate that he missed one the best teams the cowboys put together.

As proven by the last two comments he was and still is clearly overrated by many.
    His playoff performances say it all. Never could do it when it really mattered.
    Love him as a commentator though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I had a look at that botched FG snap in the Seattle game today. When you think about it, it was gas that the backup QB was automatically the holder on kicks back then and because he started the season as the backup, he held onto that role. It's all punters as the holders these days isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

And eagle eye come off it with the never did it in the play offs stuff..
    Did Dan Marino win a Superbowl? If he hasn't he's surely over rated?? I could go on
    As the main cowboys fan on here I'll say he was unlucky in that he could've won a Superbowl in 16 if he'd not got injured in the pre season.
    Is he the best Cowboys QB ever? Not even close, he's way behind Aikman whos miles behind staubach but I'd Romo had been in either of those teams get have won multiple Superbowls and talk of his play of record wouldn't matter
    You judge players on the era they played in and Romo was far from the worst one out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

QBs can throw the ball on fakes or if the play breaks down.

Iirc it was Belichick that started using punters for it. I have a vague memory of him talking about it in a presser and saying that it made sense to keep the special teams unit

• Registered Users Posts: 15,203 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Bears signed a new kicker. This lad's kicks are still good even when he double-doinks it so that's progress I suppose.

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/802364251960553472

brinty wrote:
    And eagle eye come off it with the never did it in the play offs stuff.. Did Dan Marino win a Superbowl? If he hasn't he's surely over rated?? I could go on As the main cowboys fan on here I'll say he was unlucky in that he could've won a Superbowl in 16 if he'd not got injured in the pre season. Is he the best Cowboys QB ever? Not even close, he's way behind Aikman whos miles behind staubach but I'd Romo had been in either of those teams get have won multiple Superbowls and talk of his play of record wouldn't matter You judge players on the era they played in and Romo was far from the worst one out there.
    I said playoffs not Superbowls.
    I never said he was the worst out there. He was a good QB, no doubt about that, but nowhere near elite level.
    Like in his era we have had Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Favre, Wilson and Kurt Warner. I'd have Rivers well ahead of him as well.
    I'd put him at the same grade but the best of a group that includes Donovan McNabb, Rich Gannon and Carson Palmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

brinty wrote: »
    And eagle eye come off it with the never did it in the play offs stuff..
    Did Dan Marino win a Superbowl? If he hasn't he's surely over rated?? I could go on
    As the main cowboys fan on here I'll say he was unlucky in that he could've won a Superbowl in 16 if he'd not got injured in the pre season.
    Is he the best Cowboys QB ever? Not even close, he's way behind Aikman whos miles behind staubach but I'd Romo had been in either of those teams get have won multiple Superbowls and talk of his play of record wouldn't matter
    You judge players on the era they played in and Romo was far from the worst one out there.

I have my suspicions why they do it, but I’ll never understand how some NFL fans can justify leaning so much on playoff wins when judging players. Obviously, it should be one of many factors in consideration but you rarely hear it raised as much in any other team sport. At times with football it is as if they believe it overrides all other merits of the player in discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Oat23 wrote: »
    Bears signed a new kicker. This lad's kicks are still good even when he double-doinks it so that's progress I suppose.

You should get an extra point for the double doink FG if it goes through.

Foxtrol wrote:
    I have my suspicions why they do it, but I’ll never understand how some NFL fans can justify leaning so much on playoff wins when judging players. Obviously, it should be one of many factors in consideration but you rarely hear it raised as much in any other team sport. At times with football it is as if they believe it overrides all other merits of the player in discussion.
    So you are saying that the postseason is unimportant?
    Are you saying that clutchness is unimportant?
    Exactly how important do you think the postseason is in the overall rating of a QB?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

So you are saying that the postseason is unimportant?
    Are you saying that clutchness is unimportant?
    Exactly how important do you think the postseason is in the overall rating of a QB?

I don't think that post said either of those two things... :rolleyes:

I interpreted it as quite clearly saying that postseason accomplishments, or lack thereof, shouldn't cause us to overlook a player's regular season achievements.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I said playoffs not Superbowls.
    I never said he was the worst out there. He was a good QB, no doubt about that, but nowhere near elite level.
    Like in his era we have had Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Favre, Wilson and Kurt Warner. I'd have Rivers well ahead of him as well.
    I'd put him at the same grade but the best of a group that includes Donovan McNabb, Rich Gannon and Carson Palmer.

Can I make a suggestion here? You claim Romo is over rated, by whom, I'm not sure, but anyway we'll move on.

You then place him in a rankings list of other QBs of that era. So before this debate endlessly goes on, let any one who thinks Romo is at the same caliber of Brady, Manning, Ben, Favre, Warner, Wilson or Rivers, then let them say why.

Otherwise, he clearly is not overrated by any on here and rated similarly by everyone as a well above average QB, blighted by injury who could have been better had some fortune fallen his way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Tubriskys in the Pro Bowl? :D How many had to drop out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Just turned it on there a half hour ago, jesus its grim isn't it? Saw an article suggesting a 3rd place playoff game in place of the Pro Bowl. Would be a much better game i think. This is abysmal, no atmosphere, awful weather (why change to Miami?), played at a snails pace. I get its a bit of a laugh for the players and no one wants to get hurt so don't blame them at all for messing around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Patww79 wrote: »
    Tubriskys in the Pro Bowl? :D How many had to drop out?

Think all three NFC qbs who were picked originally turned it down. Ryan also turned down his shot to come as an alternate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Just checked the box score - a Jason Garrett led offense scoring 0 points through 3 quarters in the Pro Bowl is the most fitting thing ever :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

That was brutal. Barely a memorable moment. They should just make it flag to allow bigger plays as it pretty much is anyway. Best play of the game iirc was the Mike Evans interception, and it's not even worth a watch tbh.

3rd place playoff game would make for a far more interesting night. It'd probably be a lot like the 3rd place playoff game at the WC but still miles better than the Pro Bowl. Not too sure many players would get behind it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I knew the pro bowl was on tonight but fair play to those who watched it as I avoided it like the plague due to previous experience of it being rubbish. Also the fact that ESPN were calling the game made my decision up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That was brutal. Barely a memorable moment. They should just make it flag to allow bigger plays as it pretty much is anyway. Best play of the game iirc was the Mike Evans interception, and it's not even worth a watch tbh.

3rd place playoff game would make for a far more interesting night. It'd probably be a lot like the 3rd place playoff game at the WC but still miles better than the Pro Bowl. Not too sure many players would get behind it though.

You'd be playing to win a game to get a worse draft pick at that stage! :0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I think for Pro Bowl they should just extend the skills competitions out to something proper.
    i.e. have people do a proper sprint competition, longest kick, throw, sled push etc.

Turn it in to a real competition to give the athletes bragging rights over the rest of the NFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Bragging rights come from rings, not some made up competitions that don't have the best players in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

The first Monday morning that i haven't been hanging since September.
    I love NFL but it takes a lot out of you and i'm kinda glad when i can go to be a bit earlier on a Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I'd rather let the Pro Bowl be an award/selection that doesn't result in a game.

Pro Bowl weekend would instead be a Draft Pick Playoff - i.e. #1 plays #2, #3 plays #4 etc. and the winner of each game gets the higher pick.

Granted, this means players are playing so that their team can have a better pick to select someone to potentially replace them.

Although I'm perfectly fine with there being a weekend of no football between the Conference Championships and the Super Bowl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

You'd be playing to win a game to get a worse draft pick at that stage! :0

They could agree to reverse that just for this bronze medal game (i.e., winner gets #29 in draft, loser #30) and you'd immediately add some level of competitiveness to it. Having it at one of the teams home grounds as well would help attendance and atmosphere also.

I don't think it's the worst idea but would probably be called the Loser Bowl and die a death.

Advertisement