Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Browns with the win though

Baker was absolutely firing. Something I found interesting is Bills and Browns have both only won when the other has this season, and both have the same bye week.

Wonder how long that will continue!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Teryl Austin fired as Bengals DC

Quite a fall from grace for him, heavily touted as a HC candidate a few seasons back and the Bengals are usually very reluctant to get rid of coaches mid season

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

2 weird stats from the season

1. There have been no lead changes in any Redskins game. First team to score, never relinquishes lead and goes onto win.
    2. KC have won all 9 coin tosses.

https://deadspin.com/these-are-my-two-favorite-weird-nfl-stats-1830333870

Another extremely weird stat is Alex Smith has thrown for exactly 178 yards in 3 out his last 4 games

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Guffy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,203 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Guffy wrote: »
    Jordy retired

Can't blame him if he does. He was sold a lie to sign there. Gruden lied to all of them when he was planning to tank all along. That's why they are all pissed. He created this atmosphere himself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Seems a bit petty by the Bengals to notify the authorities

Of all the teams to do that this would be the one I'd least expect to do something like this. The amount of players with seriously checkered histories that have played or are playing for that club is quite large so I wouldn't think they'd be so keen on calling the cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The air quality in Santa Clara where the niners play is terrible as a result of the fires in California. Amber Theo Harris of NFL network is there to cover the game and she put up a picture of her bloodshot eyes from just being out in the air. It can't be nice to play in.

Also, it seems the field at the stadium azteca in Mexico City is in a terrible state before next weeks game there.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Oat23 wrote: »
    Can't blame him if he does. He was sold a lie to sign there. Gruden lied to all of them when he was planning to tank all along. That's why they are all pissed. He created this atmosphere himself.

It seemed like everything turned on the Mack trade. Prior to that it looked like Oakland were looking to win now with all those veteran moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The Peterman era is over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭boccy23

Well when Matt Barkley comes off the street essentially, and seriously outperforms him, it was coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

I feel sorry for him! If he'd been given a chance to play the Jets he would have looked like a top teir QB and he's career might have lasted an extra week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Thing is Barkley looked very talented in college, might still be a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Interestingly, the top 3 defenses this season all have losing records.

1) Bills
    2) Ravens
    3) Jaguars

I haven’t watched as much of the NFL this year as I usually do, but I was shocked to see Buffalo #1!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

That is interesting (I assume by top 3 defenses, you are using yards allowed as a metric). It does show the shortfalls of this metric - the more advanced DVOA defensive ratings have the Bears as the best defense in the league. That said, most of the top teams this year (Rams, Saints, Chargers, Patriots, Steelers and Chiefs) have middling to bad defenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

D9Male wrote: »
    That is interesting (I assume by top 3 defenses, you are using yards allowed as a metric). It does show the shortfalls of this metric - the more advanced DVOA defensive ratings have the Bears as the best defense in the league. That said, most of the top teams this year (Rams, Saints, Chargers, Patriots, Steelers and Chiefs) have middling to bad defenses.
    The top offences often concede the most points too, not because they're bad defenses, but that teams go for it more against them. No point in kicking FG's against Saints, Chiefs, Rams - your not gonna beat all those TD's with FG's

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

phatkev wrote: »
    I feel sorry for him! If he'd been given a chance to play the Jets he would have looked like a top teir QB and he's career might have lasted an extra week!!

That's the thing though. I wanted Peterman to be good but how do we know he'd actually have shown up against the Jets.

Disappointed it didn't work but after 8 games he's been given more than enough chances to try so some signs of promise but it hasn't happened. 3 TDs and 12INTs, then getting outplayed by Barkley, easy decision.

Will be interesting to see what happens next for him.

The QB I feel for most, but still has his job is CJ Beathard, think he's a solid player and now Mullins stepped in and shone taking the backup spot. I believe CJ would have done well if he wasn't injured. Kyle is still mad on him though so may not be the end but I do hope he can find himself somwhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Adamocovic wrote: »

Will be interesting to see what happens next for him.

Insurance sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

eagle eye wrote: »
    Thing is Barkley looked very talented in college, might still be a good one.

I really wonder how much that shoulder injury affected him. He doesn't have the strongest arm in the world these days, that's for sure.

I'd love to see him push on and actually vie for a starting job next year. Be a great story if nothing else!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Randall is a big fan of the hire anyway! :pac:

https://twitter.com/randalltime/status/1062371790586961921?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,203 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Confirmed that Bell is done in Pittsburgh. Not reporting by 4pm.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1062446265483583489

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Oat23 wrote: »
    Confirmed that Bell is done in Pittsburgh. Not reporting by 4pm.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1062446265483583489

Being a Steelers fan, not sad to see this.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Being a Steelers fan, not sad to see this.
    Being a Bell owner in fantasy, sad to see this

Rams/Cheifs game in Mexico has been moved back to LA due to a dodgy pitch.

Rams practiced at altitude past 2 days to get ready for Mexico

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Rams/Cheifs game in Mexico has been moved back to LA due to a dodgy pitch.

Rams practiced at altitude past 2 days to get ready for Mexico

Yeah the pictures I've seen it looked like it was a mess in some parts. The international game home teams have to keep their home stadiums free for issues like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Interesting opinion from John Gruden about Perterman before the 2017 draft.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/heavy.com/sports/2018/11/nathan-peterman-cut-jon-gruden-comments-raiders/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Yeah, I don't like what Gruden is doing with the Raiders, but any draft analyst is going to look like a genius or a moron, depending what quotes you cherry pick.

I think there are way more concrete examples every Sunday of what a tool Gruden is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

SNF flexes

Week 13: Steelers @ Chargers
    Week 14: Rams @ Bears

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Steelers players again showing their class by going through Bell's locker and taking what they wanted when he didnt show up. Hopefully karma catches up with them and they get screwed when it comes to their next contract.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Steelers players again showing their class by going through Bell's locker and taking what they wanted when he didnt show up. Hopefully karma catches up with them and they get screwed when it comes to their next contract.
    If some lad being greedy cost my team an opportunity to be more competitive (more salary to spend elsewhere), I wouldn't have much love for him either.

Advertisement