Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    How does a one year deal work when you get signed half way through a season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

How does a one year deal work when you get signed half way through a season?

Just signed to the end of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Week 13 saints against Dallas. Hope Dez celebrates a TD on the star!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Week 13 saints against Dallas. Hope Dez celebrates a TD on the star!!

He's not classless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I loved the headline on Deadspin: "Dez Bryant teaches us a very valuable lesson about never settling for the Browns".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

After the Broncos V Texans game - Broncos legend Rod Smith interviewed Demaryius Thomas on local radio about his trade. It was quite a revealing interview -

Thomas said that a few days before the trade Vance Joseph told him that the trade talk was 'fake news' and he was going nowhere - to which DT responded by telling Joseph that his agent was aware that the Broncos were shopping him in return for a 5th rounder. Apparently Elway hadn't told Joseph he was going to trade DT.

DT then spoke about the Broncos coaching staff - saying that the coaching staff never consulted the players and never took on board any suggestions from the players. In pre-game meetings the players would outline to the staff the habits of the players they were up against and what they liked to do - Joseph ignored the comments and draft the game plan his way. During the game the players would go to the coaches - tell them the game plan wasn't working and suggest changes - only to be ignored.

The most obvious example of this came on Sunday night against the Texans - DT had a favourite route but the Broncos coaches weren't using this route this season. After the first play of the game Chris Harris went to the coaches and told them that the Texans had DT running his favourite route - by the time they adjusted he had 61 yards off 3 catches.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

After the Broncos V Texans game - Broncos legend Rod Smith interviewed Demaryius Thomas on local radio about his trade. It was quite a revealing interview -

Thomas said that a few days before the trade Vance Joseph told him that the trade talk was 'fake news' and he was going nowhere - to which DT responded by telling Joseph that his agent was aware that the Broncos were shopping him in return for a 5th rounder. Apparently Elway hadn't told Joseph he was going to trade DT.

DT then spoke about the Broncos coaching staff - saying that the coaching staff never consulted the players and never took on board any suggestions from the players. In pre-game meetings the players would outline to the staff the habits of the players they were up against and what they liked to do - Joseph ignored the comments and draft the game plan his way. During the game the players would go to the coaches - tell them the game plan wasn't working and suggest changes - only to be ignored.

The most obvious example of this came on Sunday night against the Texans - DT had a favourite route but the Broncos coaches weren't using this route this season. After the first play of the game Chris Harris went to the coaches and told them that the Texans had DT running his favourite route - by the time they adjusted he had 61 yards off 3 catches.
    That interview doesn't paint the broncos front office in John elway or the coaching staff in a very good light JRG. Now, that is one side of the story but it's not great if this is the impression from other players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

brinty wrote: »
    He's not classless

He has taken alot of digs at them on twitter, and after a few of the losses

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    That interview doesn't paint the broncos front office in John elway or the coaching staff in a very good light JRG. Now, that is one side of the story but it's not great if this is the impression from other players.

It matches up with the thick headedness we've shown since SB50. Literally no surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Think Bryant to Saints is big in my eyes. A lot of people online not too pushed saying the offence is already firing, now Brees has a prolific red zone target.

They are a playoff bound team and this looks like a move with that in mind. Thomas will see the majority obviously but I'm excited to see what Dez does.

I know people argue his production went down towards end of Cowboys career (still 1500+ yards and 14TDs in last 2 seasons) but a case could be made that it coincided with a change of QB and Dak has come under pressure. I still think Dez has a lot in his locker and the thought of Brees now throwing to him his a very entertaining one.

Can't wait for his Dallas return!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Think Bryant to Saints is big in my eyes. A lot of people online not too pushed saying the offence is already firing, now Brees has a prolific red zone target.

They are a playoff bound team and this looks like a move with that in mind. Thomas will see the majority obviously but I'm excited to see what Dez does.

I know people argue his production went down towards end of Cowboys career (still 1500+ yards and 14TDs in last 2 seasons) but a case could be made that it coincided with a change of QB and Dak has come under pressure. I still think Dez has a lot in his locker and the thought of Brees now throwing to him his a very entertaining one.

Can't wait for his Dallas return!

Dez needs to realise he's not an outside threat anymore. If I was saints I'd sell him on playing the slot. Come beat cowboys, get a ring.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Dez needs to realise he's not an outside threat anymore. If I was saints I'd sell him on playing the slot. Come beat cowboys, get a ring.

3 weeks til saints @ cowboys, Dez would love nothing better than to chalk off a couple of TDs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Itssoeasy wrote: »

It really doesn't - does it?

For all the credit Elway gets for SB50 - sorting out the mess left by McDaniels and getting Manning - the last 18 months in particular have been a disaster.

From hiring Joseph (by far the worst of the six new HCs hired that season) - to the mess of the 2017 draft - to the failure to act now and sack Joseph.

It has been clear since the end of last season that Joseph was on borrowed time. Elway felt he couldn't sack him last season because he didn't want to be seen as someone who is a 'coach killer' - but Joseph has been completely sidelined by the front office. This was ably demonstrated when video of the Broncos war room for the draft showed the FO personnel high-fiveing one another and Joseph standing off to one side on his own being ignored by everyone.

And since the start of the season there has been serious rumblings from the players (and from former players) - DT is just the latest. The most high-profile have been Derek Wolfe and Chris Harris - who have both openly criticised the coaching staff. About a month ago the defence organised a players-only meeting to discuss their grievances and present them to the coaches - Joseph said at a presser that he welcomed their input - and then promptly ignored them.

For me the most telling criticism comes from Rod Smith - Mr. Broncos from the fans perspective - Smith is very close to the players, regularly goes to Dove Valley and has been highly critical of Joseph and his attitude towards the players. Joseph is done - the only surprise is that Elway didn't bit the bullet on Monday and sack him. I suspect that the reason he hasn't is because Kubiak does not want to act as interim HC. The one upsides at the moment is Kubiak being in the front office - Kubiak is the only one not afraid to stand up to Elway and it is to Elway's credit that he recognised he needed someone to stand up to him and hired Kubiak. I give Kubiak the credit for what looks line a very successful draft this year - he utterly changed the approach when he got involved.

Despite the fact that Joseph hasn't been sacked - there is no doubt that the Broncos are already searching for a new HC - and I suspect Elway will look for an established HC - not a hot-coordinator. Names already on the rumour list include the Harbaugh brothers - Jim Schwartz - even Mike McCarthy, Jason Garrett and Chuck Pagano have been mentioned (as well as established college HCs David Shaw, Chris Petersen). I suspect the preference is for one of the Harbaughs - but they have to be out of a job first - and the Broncos probably will have competition. If one of them got the job it would be interesting to see them butting heads with Elway.

All of this is in front of a backdrop of the unresolved ownership of the Broncos - and Elway has to get the coach hire right (and Ellis has to stump up the money to pay a HC) otherwise the Bowlen children will be moving to dump both Ellis and Elway from running the Broncos.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It really doesn't - does it?

For all the credit Elway gets for SB50 - sorting out the mess left by McDaniels and getting Manning - the last 18 months in particular have been a disaster.

From hiring Joseph (by far the worst of the six new HCs hired that season) - to the mess of the 2017 draft - to the failure to act now and sack Joseph.

It has been clear since the end of last season that Joseph was on borrowed time. Elway felt he couldn't sack him last season because he didn't want to be seen as someone who is a 'coach killer' - but Joseph has been completely sidelined by the front office. This was ably demonstrated when video of the Broncos war room for the draft showed the FO personnel high-fiveing one another and Joseph standing off to one side on his own being ignored by everyone.

And since the start of the season there has been serious rumblings from the players (and from former players) - DT is just the latest. The most high-profile have been Derek Wolfe and Chris Harris - who have both openly criticised the coaching staff. About a month ago the defence organised a players-only meeting to discuss their grievances and present them to the coaches - Joseph said at a presser that he welcomed their input - and then promptly ignored them.

For me the most telling criticism comes from Rod Smith - Mr. Broncos from the fans perspective - Smith is very close to the players, regularly goes to Dove Valley and has been highly critical of Joseph and his attitude towards the players. Joseph is done - the only surprise is that Elway didn't bit the bullet on Monday and sack him. I suspect that the reason he hasn't is because Kubiak does not want to act as interim HC. The one upsides at the moment is Kubiak being in the front office - Kubiak is the only one not afraid to stand up to Elway and it is to Elway's credit that he recognised he needed someone to stand up to him and hired Kubiak. I give Kubiak the credit for what looks line a very successful draft this year - he utterly changed the approach when he got involved.

Despite the fact that Joseph hasn't been sacked - there is no doubt that the Broncos are already searching for a new HC - and I suspect Elway will look for an established HC - not a hot-coordinator. Names already on the rumour list include the Harbaugh brothers - Jim Schwartz - even Mike McCarthy, Jason Garrett and Chuck Pagano have been mentioned (as well as established college HCs David Shaw, Chris Petersen). I suspect the preference is for one of the Harbaughs - but they have to be out of a job first - and the Broncos probably will have competition. If one of them got the job it would be interesting to see them butting heads with Elway.

All of this is in front of a backdrop of the unresolved ownership of the Broncos - and Elway has to get the coach hire right (and Ellis has to stump up the money to pay a HC) otherwise the Bowlen children will be moving to dump both Ellis and Elway from running the Broncos.

Don't mention Garrett or McCarthy. Jesus.

Once the ravens are officially out of contention for the POs that's when the merry-go-round will begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭nerd69

brinty wrote: »
    He's not classless

Cowboys attitude towards that is weird tbh not sure how class comes into it

2 weird stats from the season

1. There have been no lead changes in any Redskins game. First team to score, never relinquishes lead and goes onto win.
    2. KC have won all 9 coin tosses.

https://deadspin.com/these-are-my-two-favorite-weird-nfl-stats-1830333870

Looks like Dez might have torn his achilles tendon

https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/1061001011282640897

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Looks like Dez might have torn his achilles tendon

Beat me too it
    Feel for Dez

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

**** me. That's his career done. That is horrid luck

• Registered Users Posts: 37,850 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Unlucky for Dez but it might be lucky fir the Saints. I see Brandon Marshall worked out with them. He might be a really good signing for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Awful for Dez.

I’d love to have seen how he got on with the Saints and he would have been a bit of craic too.

So unfortunate and as said above, that’s probably that for his career.

Paully D wrote: »
    Awful for Dez.

I’d love to have seen how he got on with the Saints and he would have been a bit of craic too.

So unfortunate and as said above, that’s probably that for his career.

Awful news indeed but as Ross Tucker says, there is a slight bit of good news for him

https://twitter.com/RossTuckerNFL/status/1061010307882082304

Hang on did he tear his Achilles in his practice with the saints ? Jesus all joking aside that's bad luck for dez. I wonder was it connected to him not being with a team for most of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

How could you possibly connect those two? :confused: An achilles can go at any time.

kmart6 wrote: »
    How could you possibly connect those two? :confused: An achilles can go at any time.

I said I wonder was it it never said it was connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

kmart6 wrote: »

Same will happen if Bell comes back and gets hurt

Browns with the win though

2 weird stats from the season

1. There have been no lead changes in any Redskins game. First team to score, never relinquishes lead and goes onto win.
    2. KC have won all 9 coin tosses.

https://deadspin.com/these-are-my-two-favorite-weird-nfl-stats-1830333870

KC lose the toss but still no lead changes in a Redskins game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Advertisement