Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Thanks, I was reading up on it there, seems right. I'll try to find the NFL directive that burned the Broncos....they were definitely expecting more than they got one year and it was down to how the NFL viewed the contracts.....

Do we think Golden Tate would be a big money signing next year in FA? Dez Bryant is the same age and is out of the NFL. Tate is very good, I'd certainly like him on my team, but I can't see a team breaking the bank for him in FA. Who knows. Maybe Dallas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭Christy42

Thanks, I was reading up on it there, seems right. I'll try to find the NFL directive that burned the Broncos....they were definitely expecting more than they got one year and it was down to how the NFL viewed the contracts.....

Do we think Golden Tate would be a big money signing next year in FA? Dez Bryant is the same age and is out of the NFL. Tate is very good, I'd certainly like him on my team, but I can't see a team breaking the bank for him in FA. Who knows. Maybe Dallas :)
    While I doubt they will break the bank I absolutely see teams sending some cash his way. He is the same age as Bryant but he is also a far better player.

I realise no one cares but me, it was how Denver worked Russell Okung's contract, which was a weird 1 year deal with a 4 year team option. When he left for the Chargers the NFL viewed it as a 5 year contract in their formula instead of a single year and it counted against Denver somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

This is a cool link that helps explains partly (the whole thing is seriously complicated) how comp picks will be handed out for year, it shows last years FA contracts and their comp picks: https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

Being conservative, I could easily see somebody giving Tate a 3yr/24m contract this off season, which would average out at $8m a year which based on last years value would be a 4th round comp pick. Last off season, Amendola got a 2yr/12m contract and he was a year older and a much lesser player than Tate, which netted the Pats a 5th round comp pick. Obviously if the Eagles sign another player for $8m in FA they get nothing.

Ty Montgomery's fumble even more costly than first seemed.....on his way to the Ravens for a 7th.
    Just don't put him on kickoff duties.

• Advertisement

Rams trade for Dante Fowler, give up a 2019 3rd and a 2020 5th

The rich get richer

Fowler is only an 8th game rental but could get some comp picks back in the off season.

Hazys wrote: »
    Rams trade for Dante Fowler, give up a 2019 3rd and a 2020 5th

The rich get richer

That team is absolutely stacked. In fact, even though they are 8-0 their defense hasn't even played remotely up to what they are capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Ty Montgomery's fumble even more costly than first seemed.....on his way to the Ravens for a 7th.
    Just don't put him on kickoff duties.

They overpaid for a moron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/1057358680931385349

Interesting move by my Redskins. Basically just stockpiling Alabama players on defence at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,754 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

8-0 but should the 72 Dolphins and 07 patriots be worried they'll be joined by the Rams as having gone through the regular season undefeated ?

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    8-0 but should the 72 Dolphins and 07 patriots be worried they'll be joined by the Rams as having gone through the regular season undefeated ?

They actually have a brutal schedule tbh. I can't see ithappening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Dante Fowler Jags -> Rams......!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Not so sure about the Eagles, but I suppose they have a stacked team that have underperformed, so they ready to win now and the NFC is up for grabs, so maybe worth a punt. From a Lions perspective I am surprised though, only a game out of first in the North, and they have definitely shown flashes this year. A lions fan can confirm but any time I see them play Tate is great.

Lions are not making the playoffs this season & if they somehow do, they are likely gone in the first round. This is about building for next year.
    The Lions have shown no indication of offering Tate an extension, so this move doesn't come as a big surprise. He has played well but there is 2 other decent receivers on the roster that can pick up the slack. I'd say the Lions were only too delighted to be getting a 3rd rounder with him likely gone for nothing next year. Unlikely they would have got a compensatory pick either, as they're expected to be big players in FA with 40 million in cap space opening up after this season.
    Being conservative, I could easily see somebody giving Tate a 3yr/24m contract this off season, which would average out at $8m a year which based on last years value would be a 4th round comp pick. Last off season, Amendola got a 2yr/12m contract and he was a year older and a much lesser player than Tate, which netted the Pats a 5th round comp pick. Obviously if the Eagles sign another player for $8m in FA they get nothing.

i would think it would take a lot more than $8m per year to get Tate. He keeps retweeting all these big WR contracts that are been handed out around the league, believing he's worthy of such a contract too.
    It would at least have to be in north of $10m before Tate would sign any contract, unless if left with very few options with training camps opening up across the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,754 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

They actually have a brutal schedule tbh. I can't see ithappening.

Yeah between my posting that question and reading your reply I actually went and looked. There have been easier second halfs of the seasons down the years it's fair to say. The saints game on Sunday might stop it dead and the hype, because you and I know the longer a team goes undefeated in a season the 72 Dolphins rare their heads and the talk of when will they lose or will they lose and all that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Dante Fowler may never justify his Top 5 overall draft pick (#4 I think) but he has been a good solid player when I have seen the Jags this year and last year.

I wonder if the Jaguars are blowing it up.

Over 1/3 of 1st round of 2015 @NFL Draft now traded or released. #3 Dante Fowler, Jr. #4 Amari Cooper #9 Ereck Flowers #12 Danny Shelton #18 Marcus Peters #19 Cameron Erving #26 Breshad Perriman #28 Laken Tomlinson #29 Phillip Dorsett #30 Damarious Randall #31 Stephone Anthony

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

No point in the Ravens having an RB anyway because we don’t fúcking use them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I would give him less than a 0% chance. He's got the most talented roster in the league, two MVP level players each on rookie deals, balance on both sides of the balls, even fecking first team all pros at kicker, punter AND returner, is in the glitziest-glamiest market there is (which also means more money if he wants it, especially being a 32 year old coach, good looking and a natural on camera in LA), and after how poor the Rams were for so long he is worshipped there.

If they win a SB in the next year or two who knows I guess as 'SB winning coach' will land you a job almost anywhere regardless of what happens after... but I just can't see him even thinking about budging for the foreseeable future to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

How strange, Broncos are playing the Texans at Mile High this week. Some debut for Thomas! He should get a good reception I would have thought.
    Thomas will get a terrific reception - he has been a great servant in Denver.

Getting a fourth-round pick is more than I expected - I would have been happy with a 5th rounder.

This is the start of a clear-out by Elway - there are a lot of older vets on the Broncos roster who will be gone by the end of the season if not sooner. It is a pity that Marshall got hurt last week - he was a prime candidate to be moved on.
    Should he even board a plane to Texas or just wait for them to arrive in Denver?
    :D

Haven't heard anything about clamping down on comp picks, if anything its the opposite as they only recently made comp picks tradable.

Comp picks are given out based on how many players who were on your roster who signed with a different team and the value of their contracts in FA MINUS how many players/value of their contracts you sign in FA (very basic definition).

Yep - compo picks are now more valuable - and the Broncos have benefited significantly from compo picks over the past two years.

• Advertisement

That was just the rumour-mill - there are very specific rules relating to how the compo picks are decided.
    I realise no one cares but me, it was how Denver worked Russell Okung's contract, which was a weird 1 year deal with a 4 year team option. When he left for the Chargers the NFL viewed it as a 5 year contract in their formula instead of a single year and it counted against Denver somehow.
    The Broncos got a 3rd round compo pick for Okung

Bill O'Brien commenting about the trade of Demaryius Thomas to the Texans - 'I don't know anything about the DT to Houston report - that's not really my role here'.

Has to be said this is vintage O'Brien - a HC that doesn't appear to give a sh*t about what his organisation does.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

This is hilarious from Brady

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpr86_8nkKD/

The Raiders have cut Bruce Irvin, who leads the team in sacks this season. They had been hawking him pre-deadline.

It makes very little sense. During the game against the 9ers, they looked like a team massively short of confidence, talent and desire. I am amazed locals are still showing up at games given the Raiders are buggering off to the desert soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

D9Male wrote: »
    The Raiders have cut Bruce Irvin, who leads the team in sacks this season. They had been hawking him pre-deadline.

It makes very little sense. During the game against the 9ers, they looked like a team massively short of confidence, talent and desire. I am amazed locals are still showing up at games given the Raiders are buggering off to the desert soon.

I'd say next season will be a big hit for them, think they are moving in 2020 so you know attendance will be a disaster

Knex. wrote: »
    This is hilarious from Brady

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpr86_8nkKD/

Appartenlty Brady has something like -178 rushing yards from kneel downs so he really has 1,175 yards.

What would be funny is if he just breaks 1,000 rushing yards but takes a couple of kneel downs and goes back under again just so we can break it again next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Paully D wrote: »

Agh Paully what do you expect
    An ex cowboy in Dallas
    Yea... really shouldn’t hype up the cowboys at all.. gimme a break

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Advertisement