Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

paulie21 wrote: »
    Hue Jackson has finally been given the boot
    3-36-1, quite the achievement, must be close to the worst record (in the same span of games).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

3-36-1, quite the achievement, must be close to the worst record (in the same span of games).

Second worst in history after the Philly owner/coach of 1936 to 1941.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

He was having the best season of his Browns career though...!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,226 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Browns. Please. For the memes.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Bad couple of days for coaches in Cleveland. Terry Francona's probably alright though.

Will they keep Williams as DC or is he in danger too?

Williams named interim HC so imagine he’s safe for the season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

He is/was probably the worst coach of any major team in any of the sports that I follow. Will be interesting to see now how they get on with that roster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Cowboys have released o line coach Paul Alexander after seven games,can't say I'm surprised given our poor start this season.. two all pros in the line and 23 sacks and multiple penalties given up
    Marc Colombo our former OT has been promoted to line coach

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Wow!! McVay has said he was a lifelong Brown fan before

https://twitter.com/oddsshark/status/1056980631522029569?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

You'd have to think Harbaugh would relish that role.

McVay what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,754 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The Wembley pitch doesn't look great watching the Spurs spans Man City game. I mean it's had two NFL games on it in two weeks and I'm seeing the usual stuff on twitter about the NFL and how they are ruining the pitch at Wembley etc. Am I right in thinking that Spurs were meant to have moved into their new stadium by now ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The Wembley pitch doesn't look great watching the Spurs spans Man City game. I mean it's had two NFL games on it in two weeks and I'm seeing the usual stuff on twitter about the NFL and how they are ruining the pitch at Wembley etc. Am I right in thinking that Spurs were meant to have moved into their new stadium by now ?

Yeah they were supposed to be in by about their third match of the season but construction delays (safety related I think) means they’re not likely to move in until January now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Yeah they were supposed to be in by about their third match of the season but construction delays (safety related I think) means they’re not likely to move in until January now.
    This is all on Spurs. They were supposed to be in their new stadium by mid to late Sept.
    And they were supposed to host an NFL game this year; that's why Wembley got the extra game.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭colmufc

Itssoeasy wrote: »

The entire electric system is not up to code according to staff on site ,nothing official has come out but from what's been said the entire fire safety system wireing is poor quality cables and they all have to be replaced and the Wi-Fi can't handle minor use
    Awful considering the money that went into it the only consolation for spurs is the contractor are paying fines to both them and the council for the overrun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Hue Jackson just never caught me as a guy who should be a head coach, or even a coordinator. He's a positional coach, that's what he's suited to. I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did with the Browns, but you'd have to think that was his last shot at HC in the NFL.
    Haley is a little more surprising, moreso how bad his offence was run as opposed to his firing. You'd wonder how much influence Jackson had there, but I'd expected better from Haley.

Hue Jackson just never caught me as a guy who should be a head coach, or even a coordinator. He's a positional coach, that's what he's suited to. I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did with the Browns, but you'd have to think that was his last shot at HC in the NFL.
    Haley is a little more surprising, moreso how bad his offence was run as opposed to his firing. You'd wonder how much influence Jackson had there, but I'd expected better from Haley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Hue Jackson did exactly what he was expected to do in Cleveland. Hold the reins while the team tanked for 3 years, acculmulating draft picks, dumping contracts and getting younger. I'm sure he was well aware of what was going on. No coach has been allowed to oversee such a historically bad 3 year run.

Cleveland have the most Cap Space in the NFL. This is allowed to rollover into following years - currently 55m (on top of a cap of approx $180m)

Their roster has the youngest average age in the NFL (25.15)

Dumping contracts, the Browns have had $35m, $46m and $23m in dead money on their books the previous 3 years respectively. League average is $9m

Take a look over the past 3 drafts how many picks Cleveland had in the top 100.

1st Round (#1): QB Baker Mayfield
    1st Round (#4): CB Denzel Ward
    2nd Round (#33): OL Austin Corbett
    2nd Round (#35): RB Nick Chubb
    3rd Round (#67): DE Chad Thomas
    4th Round (#105): WR Antonio Callaway
    1st Round (#1): DE Myles Garrett
    1st Round (#25): S Jabrill Peppers
    1st Round (#29): TE David Njoku
    2nd Round (#52): QB DeShone Kizer
    3rd Round (#65): DT Larry Ogunjobi
    1st Round (#15): WR Corey Coleman
    2nd Round (#32): DE Emmanuel Ogbah
    3rd Round (#65): DE Carl Nassib
    3rd Round (#76): OT Shon Coleman
    3rd Round (#93): QB Cody Kessler
    4th Round (#99): LB Joe Schobert

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1057000468122099712?s=21

Can’t beat the NFL for a bit of nepotism. :rolleyes:

Wow, Golden Tate to the Eagles for a 3rd. I think we might need a trade deadline thread

• Advertisement

And looks like Thomas going from Denver to Houston for a 4th.

I can understand a team like Houston giving up some capital to get a talent at WR as their season looks like it could have playoff potential.
    Probably good deal for all concerned. Denver are pretty much done and would have cut Thomas at the end of the year.

Not so sure about the Eagles, but I suppose they have a stacked team that have underperformed, so they ready to win now and the NFC is up for grabs, so maybe worth a punt. From a Lions perspective I am surprised though, only a game out of first in the North, and they have definitely shown flashes this year. A lions fan can confirm but any time I see them play Tate is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Thomas traded to the Texans

...so Tate is FA next year, so the Eagles are paying his remaining cap hit and a 3rd rounder for maybe 8 games......a steep price to pay. Of course a deep playoff run will make it absolutely worth it.

paulie21 wrote: »
    Thomas traded to the Texans

Yeah, sad to see him go in a ways, and at his best (with Manning slinging him the ball) he was great. That said, we need to be looking to the future and that means Sutton.

Apparently the Patriots were close to getting him. The thoughts of Brady sticking the ball exactly where Thomas wanted it and his ability after the catch would be frightening.

Texans had the need with Fuller injury earlier in the week and were probably prepared to go higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

A 3rd pick for Golden Tate for 8 games (and i doubt he'll be up to speed with the playbook for a couple of weeks)...damn thats crazy.

Whats a more ridiculous trade, Tate or Cooper?

The Cooper trade has completely messed up trade value around the league.

How strange, Broncos are playing the Texans at Mile High this week. Some debut for Thomas! He should get a good reception I would have thought.

One thing i didn't initially consider with the Tate trade is that if Tate leaves in the off season, the Eagles would receive a comp pick as high as a 4th...so not as ridiculous trade if you consider that.

How strange, Broncos are playing the Texans at Mile High this week. Some debut for Thomas! He should get a good reception I would have thought.

Should he even board a plane to Texas or just wait for them to arrive in Denver?

Hazys wrote: »
    One thing i didn't initially consider with the Tate trade is that if Tate leaves in the off season, the Eagles would receive a comp pick as high as a 4th...so not as ridiculous trade if you consider that.

Perhaps. I don't follow the business/GM side of football much. I did think the NFL were clamping down on that type of thing though, so it'd remain to be seen. i think I remember Denver getting burned by it the year before last.

The Eagles needed to do something though, that's for sure.

• Advertisement

Perhaps. I don't follow the business/GM side of football much. I did think the NFL were clamping down on that type of thing though, so it'd remain to be seen. i think I remember Denver getting burned by it the year before last.

The Eagles needed to do something though, that's for sure.

Haven't heard anything about clamping down on comp picks, if anything its the opposite as they only recently made comp picks tradable.

Comp picks are given out based on how many players who were on your roster who signed with a different team and the value of their contracts in FA MINUS how many players/value of their contracts you sign in FA (very basic definition).

Advertisement