Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,100 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Denver have an opening at OC.... not sure he'd be a good fit though

Surprised by that firing. They were looking better as the season went on and even without the QB changes the Shanahan system takes a while to bed in

I wonder if they have someone lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Foxtrol wrote:
    Surprised by that firing. They were looking better as the season went on and even without the QB changes the Shanahan system takes a while to bed in

Yeah, me too. I wasn't a big fan early in the season, but in retrospect that might have been more a flacco/execution type thing. Thought he'd shown enough to Warrant another year.

You'd have to think there's someone lined up in the wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

eagle eye wrote: »
    Felt affronted about what?

By JRG criticising Joshy. It's okay. He's staying in the North East.

Yeah, me too. I wasn't a big fan early in the season, but in retrospect that might have been more a flacco/execution type thing. Thought he'd shown enough to Warrant another year.

You'd have to think there's someone lined up in the wings.

But Elway tho...

But Elway tho...

I'm reading it was a Fangio decision. He wasn't happy and wants his own man. Pat Shurmer rumoured.... Not sure I think that is an upgrade tbh.

• Advertisement

I'm reading it was a Fangio decision. He wasn't happy and wants his own man. Pat Shurmer rumoured.... Not sure I think that is an upgrade tbh.

I am too. I just don't trust us anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,768 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I just said it's good for the Patriotsand how it's a sad day if a man is being criticised for putting family first.

I quoted you and asked you a question but you haven't answered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

JRG has an infatuation with McDaniels (and the Pats). An unhealthy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

They're probably still committed to BoB but Texans might be an option for him after tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,100 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Masked Man wrote: »
    They're probably still committed to BoB but Texans might be an option for him after tonight.

He is basically their GM at this stage and has traded away a massive amount of draft capital over the next few years. They should move on but I'm not sure if a better candidate would be interested.

• Advertisement

I just said it's good for the Patriotsand how it's a sad day if a man is being criticised for putting family first.

I quoted you and asked you a question but you haven't answered.

That was my answer.

Untwist those knickers.

JRG has an infatuation with McDaniels (and the Pats). An unhealthy one.

It's not infatuation. :D

Not seeing that just yet..... Seems to be heavily rumoured though.

I'm sure I will eventually decide this is a great hire once its made though :)

It's not infatuation. :D

It’s creepy either way :D

It’s creepy either way

It was a particularly bad couple of years!

It was a particularly bad couple of years!
    True. But let it go.
    JRG is the only person I know that’s banned from another teams thread. And the McDaniels stuff, just plain weird.
    I thought McDaniels handled the Colts situation badly. Had a right to change his mind, others have a right to criticise him with the late timing. But no need to obsess over the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Tbh I think that no team other than the Pats should ever trust McD after what he did last year. As a Pats fan he's been absolutely great for us but what he did last year was scummy in the extreme. As foxtrol said the first people anyone should be defending is the people McD hired only to let them down. Happy he's with us but can't say I'm not disappointed in how he handled the whole situation.

That was my answer.

Untwist those knickers.
    That wasn't an answer to the question I asked you.
    I asked you if you thought that him putting his family first was wrong in your book?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Guffy

That wasn't an answer to the question I asked you.
    I asked you if you thought that him putting his family first was wrong in your book?

What was the change in circumstances between accepting the job, hiring a coaching staff (putting their families in jeopardy) and bailing that makes you accept that there was suddenly an issue that arose for his family and that its not just a throw away excuse?

• Advertisement

Guffy wrote:
    What was the change in circumstances between accepting the job, hiring a coaching staff (putting their families in jeopardy) and bailing that makes you accept that there was suddenly an issue that arose for his family and that its not just a throw away excuse?
    I take people at their word unless they have history of making things up. Are you aware of Josh making things up?
    As it's a personal family thing I'm not looking for any information that's not offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Reports suggesting that Browns ownership group wanted the gameplan handed to them on a Friday to review and tweak which McDaniels flat out refused to do cant say I can blame him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

paulie21 wrote: »
    Reports suggesting that Browns ownership group wanted the gameplan handed to them on a Friday to review and tweak which McDaniels flat out refused to do cant say I can blame him.

Lol, that's the most Browns thing I've ever heard.
    We want you to create a plan for turning our franchise around and hand it over to us before we pay you for it...

Have to say though, I'm not particularly happy McD is staying. I think his play calling this season has been pretty poor, he was completely incapable of switching the scheme around to work with the weapons we had, he just forced guys to fit into a scheme that wasn't working

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭boccy23

Don't they have Paul Depodesta back on board in full this year. He's still based our of San Diego as part of his deal, so maybe he wanted to assess the statistical anomalies of every play over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

True. But let it go.
    JRG is the only person I know that’s banned from another teams thread. And the McDaniels stuff, just plain weird.
    McDisaster almost completely wrecked the Broncos singlehandedly - carrying all of the bad habits of the Pats to the team and then multiplying them.

The blame for that lies with Joe Ellis who didn't like Mike Shanahan, used Pat Bowlen's dementia to get him to sack Shanahan and then hired McDaniels because he thought he would be a quite little boy who would be easily controlled. McDaniels went completely off the rails and brought the team to its knees.

I do not want to see McDaniels do that to any other team - except the Pats - and they are welcome to him. The guy might be a good OC but he is an utter asshole as demonstrated by his antics with the Colts and screwing all the assistants he had hired and tied into contracts. On top of that the Colts had to go back to the well after all their other prioritised candidates were already hired - and it also had a knock-on effect on the Eagles who had to go looking for an OC after the Colts hired Reich, who then had to work with assistants that McDaniels hired rather than his own staff - the colts dodged a bullet.
    I thought McDaniels handled the Colts situation badly. Had a right to change his mind, others have a right to criticise him with the late timing. But no need to obsess over the guy.
    'handled the Colts situation badly' - that is the understatement of the century in terms of the NFL - but he learned from the master who had already done something very similar to the Jets more than 25 years earlier.

As for being obsessed - the only time I ever think of McDisaster is at the end of the season every year when his name pops up as a potential HC candidate somewhere. Paul DePodesta is no fool and he is the reason that McDaniels is not in Cleveland. It still astonishes me that any team would even consider interviewing McDaniels for a HC job - if he ever gets one again (and hopefully it will be with the Pats) he will be an absolute disaster just as he was the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

I like the hire of Shumur - and I am saying this as someone who likes Scangs. He had a good scheme - he worked well, particularly with Lock - but his play calling was iffy at times and some of it was downright un-explainable (e.g. getting Lock to throw 40 times in the snow in KC). It is also clear that there was friction between Fangio and Scangs throughout the season - particularly over the play-calling (remember the OC was supposed to be Kubiak - but Elway wanted to bring in Munchak and Kubes was insisting on Rick Dennison as OL coach - Scangs was very much down the list in terms of what Denver wanted). Once Shurmur became available an made it clear that his top choice was Denver - this was a no-brainer. I think that Scangs learned a lot this season and will likely come back as an OC somewhere in the not too distant future.

Shurmur is sh*te as a HC - but is a top notch OC (one of many coordinators that are great as an assistant but can't make the step up). He runs a variation of the WCO - but from the Andy Reid tree - so there will be similarity there from this season - and there will be knowledge there about what KC are doing who are the top dog in the AFCW at the moment. Furthermore - Shurmur wanted the Giants to draft Lock last season, but they took Jones instead. Shurmur is noted for developing QBs and while Lock has the physical skills he still needs a lot of development.

While I am disappointed that Scangs is gone - this move is clearly an upgrade and makes a lot of sense for a variety of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,642 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

What ? The owners wanted to basically check the head coaches homework before a game. I don't blame josh McDaniels if that was the case.

Itssoeasy wrote:
    What ? The owners wanted to basically check the head coaches homework before a game. I don't blame josh McDaniels if that was the case.
    Browns are still a joke shop. Hard to believe they haven't learned from all the mistakes they've made.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

'handled the Colts situation badly' - that is the understatement of the century in terms of the NFL - but he learned from the master who had already done something very similar to the Jets more than 25 years earlier.

I don't really have an issue with the rest of your hyperbolic post - except the childish 'McDisaster' name, honestly now, grow up - but the above bit is a ridiculous comparison. Shows a complete lack of understanding of BB situation back then. Not sure though that this post will make any difference to you based off your previous.

• Advertisement

but he learned from the master who had already done something very similar to the Jets more than 25 years earlier.
    25 years earlier? Belichick was with the Giants from 1979 to 1990.

Advertisement