Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Was amazed Mccarthy was only 50 wins above 500

What do you mean, "only", that's a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Knex. wrote: »
    What do you mean, "only", that's a lot!

Not really when you consider his qb in a 13 year career, it's about 4 wins more than a loss a year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Not really when you consider his qb in a 13 year career, it's about 4 wins more than a loss a year

So he “only” averages 10-6 in the regular season with a SB ring and 3 NFC championship games. Almost every single coach would be happy to retire with that CV

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I love the way Rodgers gets all the credit when things go well, but the coaches get criticized for everything that goes wrong.

For what it's worth I think its a good hire for the Cowboys given where they are at the moment and the roster they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

I think mc Carthy is a good hiring ,he should be a good influence on dak.It will be interesting to see if he keeps hold of kellen Moore on the staff.He seems like a decent upgrade from Garrett anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Was amazed Mccarthy was only 50 wins above 500

When you take into account the number of games in a season, 50 is a pretty big number.

If you look at regular season season:

Sean Payton: 131-77 record, .630 winning percentage, 6 division titles, 8-7 playoff record, 3 NFC title games, 1 Super Bowl ring

Mike McCarthy: 125-77-2 record, .618 winning percentage, 6 division titles, 10-8 playoff record, 4 NFC title games, 1 Super Bowl ring

Bill has ruined it for all other coaches with how successful he has been over such a long period. Take him out and basically all coaches in the league that have been around for a while, including the top rated ones, don't have a much better record than McCarthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

Foxtrol wrote: »
    When you take into account the number of games in a season, 50 is a pretty big number.

If you look at regular season season:

Sean Payton: 131-77 record, .630 winning percentage, 6 division titles, 8-7 playoff record, 3 NFC title games, 1 Super Bowl ring

Mike McCarthy: 125-77-2 record, .618 winning percentage, 6 division titles, 10-8 playoff record, 4 NFC title games, 1 Super Bowl ring

Bill has ruined it for all other coaches with how successful he has been over such a long period. Take him out and basically all coaches in the league that have been around for a while, including the top rated ones, don't have a much better record than McCarthy.

Very interesting that McCarthy and Payton have almost identical records, but yet Payton is held in much higher regard. As a cowboys fan I think Mccarthy is a decent hire, but alot of Cowboys fans don't seem impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ipitydafool

Personally think McCarthy is a decent enough hire too and he definitely fits what Jerry Jones and Cowboys were looking for, not a hope Jones would have went for someone who has never had a HC gig in NFL before. McCarthy did a recent interview with The Athletic, behind a paywall but he has spent the last year re-evaluating his approach to coaching particularly offensively. Good sign that he is going to install a thought out analytics team in Dallas- Ravens and Eagles all recent teams that have benefited from going down this route and making proper EV decisions in game- something Jason Garrett wouldn't have known if it hit him in the face

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

7 year deal for Matt Rhule - some contract if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,442 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Not even a fine for jadeveon "dirty hit" clowney. I mean what he did is LITERALLY what the NFL have tried for years to get out of the game(and rightly so btw) and yet it appears you can hit QBs in the head and then get thick when the fans of that team and others call you on that dirty hit. Grand just once we are all clear.
    I mean either the rules are there or they aren't. NFL I know at times stands for no fun league but it seems it also stands for no ****ing logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Would agree it was a bad hit but QB’s know that once they leave the pocket the additional protection they get does not apply and they are vulnerable to this kind of thing. It was a bad, clumsy hit but if it happened to a running back there wouldn’t be half the outrage imo.

I was sure they would at least fine him but I don’t think they were ever going to go further than that.

I thought it was a cheap shot plain and simple. He said afterwards it was a “bang, bang” play. Never.

Wentz was a runner but he was also wrapped up and almost on the ground before Clowney lunges. And even if he didn’t see that(which is bull) he literally launches himself head first into Wentz’s head.

That is the exact tackle that they’ve been fining and suspending players for. It’s a joke

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Not even a fine for jadeveon "dirty hit" clowney. I mean what he did is LITERALLY what the NFL have tried for years to get out of the game(and rightly so btw) and yet it appears you can hit QBs in the head and then get thick when the fans of that team and others call you on that dirty hit. Grand just once we are all clear.
    I mean either the rules are there or they aren't. NFL I know at times stands for no fun league but it seems it also stands for no ****ing logic.

What makes it even more ridiculous is that they fined Cody Ford for an incredibly soft blindside block towards the end of the Bills game.

Seems like the NFL is just doubling down on what was called on field.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    What makes it even more ridiculous is that they fined Cody Ford for an incredibly soft blindside block towards the end of the Bills game.

Seems like the NFL is just doubling down on what was called on field.

He got fined for that???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Clowney powered his head downward. There's no way to legally tackle someone while doing that. It was a dirty play and it's a joke that he's gotten away with it. If the same happens Rodgers this weekend I'd wager we won't see the same response from the league

• Registered Users Posts: 39,442 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

nerd69 wrote: »
    Clowney powered his head downward. There's no way to legally tackle someone while doing that. It was a dirty play and it's a joke that he's gotten away with it. If the same happens Rodgers this weekend I'd wager we won't see the same response from the league

Oh if it happens to Rodgers(and I hope it doesn't btw) but the league will be in a panic and we might get a congressional inquiry because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,534 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Coach Cowher just caught out live on CBS. He is there doing a game preview when David Baker walks up beside him and welcomes him to the pro football hall of fame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

eagle eye wrote: »
    Coach Cowher just caught out live on CBS. He is there doing a game preview when David Baker walks up beside him and welcomes him to the pro football hall of fame.

Saw that, brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Browns hiring Kevin Stefanski

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

paulie21 wrote: »
    Browns hiring Kevin Stefanski

And Josh McDisaster is left twiddling him thumbs in NE. His antics with the Colts clearly have not gone down that well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

And Josh McDisaster is left twiddling him thumbs in NE. His antics with the Colts clearly have not gone down that well.

Delighted, we lost reich over his antics, I know he was gonna leave down the line but I felt we could have got another season before he went, at least we got rid of groh

Great news for us Patriots fans.
    Also it's a sad day if putting your family first is considered a bad thing.
    Hococop wrote:
    Delighted, we lost reich over his antics, I know he was gonna leave down the line but I felt we could have got another season before he went, at least we got rid of groh
    Delighted about what? Reich was always getting a head coaching job. No chance you were gonna hold onto him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/01/12/patriots-oc-josh-mcdaniels-passed-over-for-browns-head-coaching-job/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

He accepted the job, got cold feet and then dumped the Colts?

Probably should have been concerned about the family beforehand.

Poor Joshy.

Does it really matter when the family decision became a stumbling block? He made the right decision. Or do you not think so?

Poor Joshy.

The family thing was pure propaganda, I'm surprised anyone believed it.

Dumping the Colts was a bad look but much worse was all the assistants he hired and they quit their jobs to go to the Colts before he changed his mind. If people are going to worry about families, those are the ones that should be the first ones discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Poor Joshy.

He probably got a bump in pay and decided to stay in NE.
    Would like to know if he knew about Luck as well.
    Not gonna cry about Joshy or the Colts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Denver have an opening at OC.... not sure he'd be a good fit though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

He probably got a bump in pay and decided to stay in NE.
    Would like to know if he knew about Luck as well.
    Not gonna cry about Joshy or the Colts.

Probably did. Who cares? Eagle Eye felt affronted for some reason.

• Advertisement

Probably did. Who cares? Eagle Eye felt affronted for some reason.

Felt affronted about what?

Advertisement