Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,100 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

paulie21 wrote: »
    Reports suggesting that Browns ownership group wanted the gameplan handed to them on a Friday to review and tweak which McDaniels flat out refused to do cant say I can blame him.

Looks like you're framing it a bit kindly on McDaniels. Everything I've read was that was more that Stefanski bent over backwards to do whatever Browns ownership wanted whereas McDaniels, Saleh, and other candidates didn't. It wasn't a 'do this and we'll hire you' and he said no and McDaniels turned them down.

Delighted that they didn't hire Saleh, not so much in the loss he'd be himself to the 49ers more that he was apparently looking at bringing Peters in as GM and one of Mike McDaniel or Mike LaFleur as OC. It would have hurt the coaching staff and front office. It will likely happen at some point soon, especially if they win the super bowl, but it is shaping up that they'll be able to keep the group together for one more year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

eagle eye wrote: »
    25 years earlier? Belichick was with the Giants from 1979 to 1990.

He is correct. He was hired by the jets in 1996 and quit after a few days. Before moving to the pats.

Actually just googled it it was 97. Jesus I actually remember reading about that back then I was living in New York and just starting to get into the game. Feels like a couple of years ago. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

BoldReason wrote: »
    He is correct. He was hired by the jets in 1996 and quit after a few days. Before moving to the pats.

I was going from memory - it actually happened after the 1999 season - on 4 January 2000.

The Jets appointed BB as HC after Bill Parcells left the job on 3 January 2000. Belichick was scheduled to be introduced as HC for the Jets the following afternoon. Belichick had already begun assembling his coaching staff. The following morning he was in the gym at the Jets facility running on a threadmill. After finishing running on the threadmill and still wearing his Jets sweat gear - Belichick went to his office, put on his overcoat, picked up his briefcase and left the building - there is no proof but the assumption is that he was off for talks with the Pats. The Pats had asked to interview BB - but he was contractually obligated to the Jets and the Jets had given him a $1million bonus a year earlier to stay with the Jets and accept the HC job when Parcells was due to step down.

That afternoon Belichick arrived for the Jets press conference where he was due to be announced as HC. Just before he was due to be introduced Belichick handed over a napkin with the words 'I resign as HC of the NYJ' to team officials (the actual text was a short paragraph) and stood up to the podium - where he made a rambling monologue that can be summed up as 'two fingers to the Jets'.

The Pats ended up having to give the Jets their first round pick that year as compensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The Pats ended up having to give the Jets their first round pick that year as compensation.

Best use of a first round pick ever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Great news for us Patriots fans.
    Also it's a sad day if putting your family first is considered a bad thing.

Delighted about what? Reich was always getting a head coaching job. No chance you were gonna hold onto him.

I knew he was gonna leave eventually but I felt we had him for the 2018 season before that colts incident

I was going from memory - it actually happened after the 1999 season - on 4 January 2000.

The Jets appointed BB as HC after Bill Parcells left the job on 3 January 2000. Belichick was scheduled to be introduced as HC for the Jets the following afternoon. Belichick had already begun assembling his coaching staff. The following morning he was in the gym at the Jets facility running on a threadmill. After finishing running on the threadmill and still wearing his Jets sweat gear - Belichick went to his office, put on his overcoat, picked up his briefcase and left the building - there is no proof but the assumption is that he was off for talks with the Pats. The Pats had asked to interview BB - but he was contractually obligated to the Jets and the Jets had given him a $1million bonus a year earlier to stay with the Jets and accept the HC job when Parcells was due to step down.

That afternoon Belichick arrived for the Jets press conference where he was due to be announced as HC. Just before he was due to be introduced Belichick handed over a napkin with the words 'I resign as HC of the NYJ' to team officials (the actual text was a short paragraph) and stood up to the podium - where he made a rambling monologue that can be summed up as 'two fingers to the Jets'.

Yes was going off memory myself and started reading an article earlier which mentioned 1997 so got a bit confused.

Cheers for video I hadn't seen that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

BoldReason wrote:
    That wasn't 25 years before McDaniels became head coach of the Colts.
    And you are incorrect because Belichick was less than 24 hours as New York Jets head coach. This was an entirely different situation also where Bill Parcells had arranged for Belichick to take over. He thought about it and quit before the press conference introducing him as the Jets head coach.

And you are incorrect because Belichick was less than 24 hours as New York Jets head coach. This was an entirely different situation also where Bill Parcells had arranged for Belichick to take over. He thought about it and quit before the press conference introducing him as the Jets head coach.

Fair enough. Im not sure where you got the Giants out of though that was over 30 years ago.

Anyway the date is hardly relevant and nit picking a bit.
    As I said I only remember reading about it as a passing interest at the time. So will leave ye at it as I barely remember it.

And there was history behind all of this with Parcells quitting the Patriots in '97 and coaching the Jets while still in contract with the Patriots and then taking Curtis Martin from us when he was a RFA.
    We got third and fourth round picks in '97, a second in '98 and a first in '99 for all the bull they pulled. We got their 1st and 3rd in '98 for the poison pill contract they gave Martin to leave the Patriots.
    And then Kraft went and got his man in 2000, only the second head coach he has hired to this point, Pete Carroll being the other. And the rest as they say is history!
    That's why there is such contempt between the Pats and Jets, much more than just a close Cities rivalry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Iirc the jets were for sale at the time and Parcells wasn't completely stepping down, he was going to remain as an exec.

Was not a good situation and BB saw the writing on the wall. After Cleveland, his career as a HC might have been over if he bombed in ny. Don't really think he can be criticised for it.

Also, haven't seen the presser in a while but don't think 'rambling monologue' is a fair characterisation. Think BB deserves some credit for actually getting up there given the situation.

Oohh - I was out a few years - I must be getting old
    Belichick was contracted to the Jets - he broke his contract by going to the Pats - that is why the Pats lost their draft pick. And he actually quit moments before the press conference and then walked out an announced it to the waiting press in a long rambling monologue.
    And there was history behind all of this with Parcells quitting the Patriots in '97 and coaching the Jets while still in contract with the Patriots and then taking Curtis Martin from us when he was a RFA.
    We got third and fourth round picks in '97, a second in '98 and a first in '99 for all the bull they pulled. We got their 1st and 3rd in '98 for the poison pill contract they gave Martin to leave the Patriots.
    And then Kraft went and got his man in 2000, only the second head coach he has hired to this point, Pete Carroll being the other. And the rest as they say is history!

Of course there was a history behind it - jaysus - there is always a history when it comes to BB and McDisaster. Still doesn't take away from the fact that BB shafted the Jets and McD shafted the Colts (something they should be eternally grateful for - they dodged a bullet).

All of this comes back to the nonsense about McD and his family - he didn't give a sh*t about the families of the coaches he hired and contracted to the Colts.
    Masked Man wrote: »
    Iirc the jets were for sale at the time and Parcells wasn't completely stepping down, he was going to remain as an exec.
    All that was known when he signed the contract - if he didn't want to be in that situation he shouldn't have put pen to paper.
    Also, haven't seen the presser in a while but don't think 'rambling monologue' is a fair characterisation. Think BB deserves some credit for actually getting up there given the situation.
    You didn't look at the video - but you don't think its a fair characterisation :rolleyes:

Maybe you should look at the video before commenting - just saying.

As for BB getting credit - well he was the one who created the situation in the first place.

Learn to read, I said I hadn't seen it in a while. This means, I have seen the presser previously and already formed an opinion on it. This is not difficult to comprehend.

Iirc, BB signed a contract before the jets owner died which said he automatically became HC when Parcells stepped down. I don't think it said anything about Parcells staying in the front office. That situation was not known (or reasonably foreseeable) at the time BB signed his contract.

Happy to be corrected on any facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,100 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

As for BB getting credit - well he was the one who created the situation in the first place.

Credit is a strong term for his actions but I suppose it is something that he didn't just hide out and leak 'family reasons' to a friend in the media.

Iirc, BB signed a contract before the jets owner died which said he automatically became HC when Parcells stepped down. I don't think it said anything about Parcells staying in the front office. That situation was not known (or reasonably foreseeable) at the time BB signed his contract.

Happy to be corrected on any facts.

Actually the contract did stipulate that Parcells would remain in the FO - and Belichick was paid a bonus of $1million the year previously for accepting that clause when he signed the contract.

The one argument that BB had was over instability with the change of ownership - but even that is a bit flimsy given that the sale was completed a week after he done a bunk.

Actually the contract did stipulate that Parcells would remain in the FO - and Belichick was paid a bonus of $1million the year previously for accepting that clause when he signed the contract.
    Have you a link to where you found that information?
    The one argument that BB had was over instability with the change of ownership - but even that is a bit flimsy given that the sale was completed a week after he done a bunk.
    Lol. Flimsy to you a Patriots hater anyways.

In fairness to JRG, he sure rattles the Pats fans...

In fairness to JRG, he sure rattles the Pats fans...
    He doesn't 'rattle', he makes me laugh.

How anybody can hold onto such hatred for so long is a wonder.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Guys, Can you take this debate to PM please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,059 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I don't think he rattles any Pats fans. It would be tough enough to be rattled by someone you know has absolutely no objectivity surely? If someone has proven themselves to be best not taken seriously they won't rattle anybody tbf.

Edit: apologies mod, didn't see your post before I made my own.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭VillaMad

A bit of shocker. Carolina Panthers line-backer Luke Kuechly retires at age 28.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

All or Nothing is back the week after Super Bowl (February 7). It's the Eagles this time, there should be some good storylines in there.

How anybody can hold onto such hatred for so long is a wonder.

big-dancing-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

VillaMad wrote: »

Seems to be health related he has had several concussions.

That leaves some hole in the middle of the panthers defence. He is irreplaceable really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭boccy23

VillaMad wrote: »

No shock at all for me. I think he is even a bit late retiring as "he wanted the LB room to be in good hands before he retired". If your brain's health is at risk, then I would be more selfish. Can see this happening more and more. It won't affect the game per say, but losing stars "in their prime" affects the star quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

boccy23 wrote: »
    No shock at all for me. I think he is even a bit late retiring as "he wanted the LB room to be in good hands before he retired". If your brain's health is at risk, then I would be more selfish. Can see this happening more and more. It won't affect the game per say, but losing stars "in their prime" affects the star quality.

Yes the season before last he took some really worrying concussions, one in particular I remember arose from minimal contact. What a phenomenal player and a good decision for his future health.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,642 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm late to this story but it seems Antonio brown is in the news again because he got into a disagreement with the mother of his children and like any person would do, he live streamed the cops arriving and removing his kids and their mother and ranting at them. I mean the stuff last off season was funny at the start and then became less funny but this kind of stuff just makes a stronger case for the NFL not letting him back into the league. There are people heard in the backround who are are agreeing with his actions which is not at all helpful and only emboldening AB to think these actions are okay.

It's a very weird coincidence that a docu series on Aaron Hernandez is now on Netflix. I'm not saying AB will be another AH but clearly he needs help and if he's not made to see his actions are not okay then we may see a ramping up of his behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I'm late to this story but it seems Antonio brown is in the news again because he got into a disagreement with the mother of his children and like any person would do, he live streamed the cops arriving and removing his kids and their mother and ranting at them. I mean the stuff last off season was funny at the start and then became less funny but this kind of stuff just makes a stronger case for the NFL not letting him back into the league. There are people heard in the backround who are are agreeing with his actions which is not at all helpful and only emboldening AB to think these actions are okay.

It's a very weird coincidence that a docu series on Aaron Hernandez is now on Netflix. I'm not saying AB will be another AH but clearly he needs help and if he's not made to see his actions are not okay then we may see a ramping up of his behaviour.

Some have been saying he was like this in the Steelers camp and Tomlin kept it all in-house and out of the line light, not sure if I could believe that as I don't think he could

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,059 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

He took at big hit in 16/17 at some point that seems to correlate pretty well with his seemingly huge swing in personality, or at least more extreme side of his personality. I remember reading an article about it at some point musing about whether he may have early stage CTE.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Advertisement