Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in the GAA - super thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I think people like to give out about smaller teams not being on but wouldn't actually watch the games if they were. You won't get neutrals to watch two div 3/4 football teams playing each other or a JM or CR hurling match. Anyone interested enough is at the ground.

There might be some market for expansion to show some top level games that weren't or aren't on TV (Cavan Armagh, Dublin Galway, Clare Cork, etc) but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

There are loads of excuses used when it comes to Dublin footballers. Attempts to somehow claim that money has nothing to do with the unprecedented level of success. One off team, superhuman volunteers, etc etc. What are the attempted excuses when it comes to the Dublin hurlers? How have they gone from whipping boys to knocking out Galway, one of the All Ireland favourites?

Not to be pedantic, but I cant resist.

Dublin didn't knock Galway out of anything in the hurling. Galway failed to get enough points in a league based system to progress to the next round.

Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

It could easily be done a collaborative effort between the state/state broadcaster and the GAA.
    Isn't it fairly obvious what needs to be covered when looking at the rushed piecemeal coverage on TSG?

More coverage of games from all across the board not just the very top levels.

I honestly believe there is a market for it.
    Saying it easy is crazy. Market here isnt there. Population of country. Would have to be a fee paying channel and coverage of live games requires outside broadcast etc
    shockframe wrote: »
    Absolutely. You only have to look at the interest there is in the podcasts/articles/twitter snapshots/forumchat like here.

The TV system in place seems almost archaic.
    Podcasts/articles and forums not anywhere near enough to suggest enough market for a tv channel. Would you get enough people to pay for this channel on subscrption to make it worthwhile?

So Dublin doesn't have more player development officers or receive more funds for player development than the rest of Leinster combined?

As I said earlier this would be an alternative to splitting Dublin, redistributing development officers to other counties to improve their standards. But few in Dublin will go for that.
    Why does answer have to be reduce spending in Dublin though and use that money in other counties when the solution is look for other funding for these counties? Dublin has far larger population than any other county so of course will have far more development officers.
    Same with any team/club/sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

I'd say a system like Virgin Media have set up for the Champions League and Europa League would work if the GAA wanted to set up something, even an online broadcast.

They showed every minute of every game in the Champions League last season across 6 stations, basic coverage, no pre match studio chat, no half time analysis, full time whistle goes and that's it. Programme over.

They did have a main match with all the bells and whistles but I watched a few games I couldn't have seen other wise. Something like that, imo, would definitely work. Send a few cameras, set up a stream or TV station and away you go.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Jaden wrote: »
    The amount of misunderstanding crammed into one sentence is truly astounding.

The figures are in black and white.

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/gaa-investment-in-dublin-348120

What an absolute farce. Dublin received 15 million more in funding than Cork despite having only 6000 more registered players.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/dublin-receive-e15-million-more-than-any-other-county-in-games-development-grants-over-the-last-decade-149534

And Dubs will tell you "yeh but the other counties squandered theirs."

The sport has become a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Saying it easy is crazy. Market here isnt there. Population of country. Would have to be a fee paying channel and coverage of live games requires outside broadcast etc

Podcasts/articles and forums not anywhere near enough to suggest enough market for a tv channel. Would you get enough people to pay for this channel on subscrption to make it worthwhile?

Of course it is not crazy there is a community TV station that is broadcast in Dublin called DCTV.
    If that can be set up so could GAA channels.

Near FM community radio in Dublin can do OB's of a good few Dublin games.
    So do Dublin City FM.

I do not see it as far fetched as you might think, all they need is a cameraman at the very least.

GAA people are crying out for coverage of games that are not shown.

Dublin GAA even manage to stream Dublin club games on youtube.
    Are you saying the same thing could not be replicated nationally at the very least?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

dobman88 wrote: »
    I'd say a system like Virgin Media have set up for the Champions League and Europa League would work if the GAA wanted to set up something, even an online broadcast.

They showed every minute of every game in the Champions League last season across 6 stations, basic coverage, no pre match studio chat, no half time analysis, full time whistle goes and that's it. Programme over.

They did have a main match with all the bells and whistles but I watched a few games I couldn't have seen other wise. Something like that, imo, would definitely work. Send a few cameras, set up a stream or TV station and away you go.

That is type of thing that would work.
    You put it way better than I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

So Dublin doesn't have more player development officers or receive more funds for player development than the rest of Leinster combined?

As I said earlier this would be an alternative to splitting Dublin, redistributing development officers to other counties to improve their standards. But few in Dublin will go for that.

The issue i would have with that is that this means scaling back the progress that is being made in dublin and so kids wouldnt be getting the level of coaching they are now. I dont think that is a positive step.
    My own thinking would be
    A) pool the sponsorship money and use it to roll out that level of coaching across the country. Dublin dont really do any fundraising within the county themselves so they can easily pull up any shortfall.
    B) split dublin into 2 initially.
    C) as counties develop with the new coaching levels, work out what counties might be good candidates for amalgamation, and offer them that possibility.

What strikes me is people are saying football is dying. And yet, if you remove the artificial position dublin now hold from the equation, there are actually some interesting things going on. Roscommon, cavan, cork, donegal, meath and kildare have had some level of resurgence of late. While monaghan, tyrone, mayo and galway have suffered surprise losses. If it wasnt for the shadow of rhe financially doped dubs hanging overhead, this football championship would be classed as a really open, entertaining one. Ironic that the gaa were actually trying to develop the game with their painfully shortsighted dublin project...

The issue i would have with that is that this means scaling back the progress that is being made in dublin and so kids wouldnt be getting the level of coaching they are now. I dont think that is a positive step.
    My own thinking would be
    A) pool the sponsorship money and use it to roll out that level of coaching across the country. Dublin dont really do any fundraising within the county themselves so they can easily pull up any shortfall.
    B) split dublin into 2 initially.
    C) as counties develop with the new coaching levels, work out what counties might be good candidates for amalgamation, and offer them that possibility.

Splits and amalgamation's will happen at some stage.
    Would you get a decent team between the Mayo footballers and Galway footballers merging?
    Until then I suggest that any Dublin player who has not played intercounty for three years automatically becomes eligible for the new Mayo/Galway teams.
    The West's awake....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'd watch up until amalgamation and then that would be it. Hopefully many more would follow suit and see the end of the GAA altogether.

Splits and amalgamation's will happen at some stage.
    Would you get a decent team between the Mayo footballers and Galway footballers merging?
    Until then I suggest that any Dublin player who has not played intercounty for three years automatically becomes eligible for the new Mayo/Galway teams.
    The West's awake....

People generally try to attack your county when they struggle to find fault in your point. While a lot of dubs try to drag the debate down into slagging matches to divert from the point at hand.
    You seem to have gone for a mixture of both here.
    As for galway, i have no interest in what thet do, but I will say, their team of the late 90s early 00s will be remembered as a great side, whereas in 20 years dublins current team will be remembered as the most financially doped team of all time. Both legacies are now set in stone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

People generally try to attack your county when they struggle to find fault in your point.

whereas in 20 years dublins current team will be remembered as the most financially doped team of all time. e

Pot/kettle

salmocab wrote: »
    Pot/kettle

Not really, that is just the truth. Maybe people havent really given that much consideration as of yet, but the realisation will dawn sooner or later, that this will be as big a part of the teams legacy as their ability on the field. And while this dublin team is unquestionably better than that galway team, there will be no asterix beside the legacy of the galway lads.

Asterix my left testicle that’s just sour grapes.

Sour about what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

Why does answer have to be reduce spending in Dublin though and use that money in other counties when the solution is look for other funding for these counties? Dublin has far larger population than any other county so of course will have far more development officers.
    Same with any team/club/sport.

The answer is to fund everybody fairly. If you don't then the county receiving funding far out of proportion will push ahead. Just like now. The funding available to the 4 counties in our capital will be fair, just like every other county in the new proposals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭dunnerc

whereas in 20 years dublins current team will be remembered as the most financially doped team of all time.

They will be remembered in Dublin as the greatest team of all time , that's all that matters :D

In fairness, there already is an asterisk. Yes, Dublin people won't accept that but the rest of us don't have to follow suit.

dunnerc wrote: »
    whereas in 20 years dublins current team will be remembered as the most financially doped team of all time.

They will be remembered in Dublin as the greatest team of all time , that's all that matters :D

Which part? Fingal, Dún Laoghaire/Rathdown, City centre or Dublin South?

• Advertisement

In fairness, there already is an asterisk. Yes, Dublin people won't accept that but the rest of us don't have to follow suit.

Guess what ! we don't care ;)

Which part? Fingal, Dún Laoghaire/Rathdown, City centre or Dublin South?

Keep dreaming , Dublin is not for splitting :D

Guess what ! we don't care ;)

You keep telling yourself that. :)

Ok, so what do people think about the shape of this proposal? Obviously, with 4 extra counties there will be some change. The provincial championships will come to an end? Leinster will have 15 teams so something would have to give. Do you think it would be an opportunity for really radical thinking? Open draws? World cup type competition? What you think?

Keep dreaming , Dublin is not for splitting :D

He thinks if he says it enough and wishes ever so much that it will happen.

He thinks if he says it enough and wishes ever so much that it will happen.

Look, it's building momentum, people realise that something must be done and splitting Dublin is something that would be beneficial for all, especially the large number of underage players in Dublin who have no access to inter county hurling and football. It would also be beneficial to the GAA as a whole. 4 new teams with a large populace, that would lead to increased revenue. In football, attendances have been dying, this would make things more competitive which would obviously lead to increased revenue. We need to crunch the numbers and get into the nitty gritty of it all but this has serious potential and as I said, it's something more people are paying attention to.

Look, it's building momentum, people realise that something must be done and splitting Dublin is something that would be beneficial for all, especially the large number of underage players in Dublin who have no access to inter county hurling and football. It would also be beneficial to the GAA as a whole. 4 new teams with a large populace, that would lead to increased revenue. In football, attendances have been dying, this would make things more competitive which would obviously lead to increased revenue. We need to crunch the numbers and get into the nitty gritty of it all but this has serious potential and as I said, it's something more people are paying attention to.

Yet again your trotting out that the kids of Dublin benefit, they don’t get access to inter county football because your plan actually denies anyone in Dublin the opportunity to play inter county.
    It doesn’t matter that you think it’s building momentum because without considering any other reasons not to do it the county board will never go for it.

The answer is to fund everybody fairly. If you don't then the county receiving funding far out of proportion will push ahead. Just like now. The funding available to the 4 counties in our capital will be fair, just like every other county in the new proposals.
    What is fair funding though? Dublin get lot more in game development due to more people etc. And 4 counties in Dublin just isnt true. Do you say same with other counties with the regions within them?
    Splitting Dublin shouldnt be and cant be the answer to the counties dominance. Dublin at underage field more than enough sides and have screening sessions to get see potential inter county players.
    It wouldnt lead to increased revenues as there is no evidence that people would support manufactured teams.

Yet again your trotting out that the kids of Dublin benefit, they don’t get access to inter county football because your plan actually denies anyone in Dublin the opportunity to play inter county.
    It doesn’t matter that you think it’s building momentum because without considering any other reasons not to do it the county board will never go for it.

It gives far more opportunity. How could it not? Instead of just say 30 who get on an underage panel now, there will be 120 in the 4 counties. It's important for the GAA to be strong in our capital and this would be a great way of ensuring that.
    Just like every other county, Dublin will have to go with the will of the collective. I think instead of just closing their ears to it, the Dublin county board should look at the benefits of this and join the discussion.

You keep telling yourself that. :)

Ok, so what do people think about the shape of this proposal? Obviously, with 4 extra counties there will be some change. The provincial championships will come to an end? Leinster will have 15 teams so something would have to give. Do you think it would be an opportunity for really radical thinking? Open draws? World cup type competition? What you think?

Your not listening , Dublin is not for splitting , its not gonna happen ever , the people of Dublin will never ever accept a split, end of.

• Advertisement

What is fair funding though? Dublin get lot more in game development due to more people etc. And 4 counties in Dublin just isnt true. Do you say same with other counties with the regions within them?

Splitting Dublin shouldnt be and cant be the answer to the counties dominance. Dublin at underage field more than enough sides and have screening sessions to get see potential inter county players.
    It wouldnt lead to increased revenues as there is no evidence that people would support manufactured teams.

I think you need to look up some of the basics on this. Dublin's funding is far out of line with the rest. This is why we are discussing splitting Dublin and not anyone else.

Dublin isn't dominant, they knocked out Galway but have only won 1 Leinster and 1 National league. There are loads of kids who can't get near an inter county panel, I've already shown above how this proposal would change that. People will follow their local county.

Advertisement