Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

cnocbui wrote: »
    I'm down to a desperate 150g of my 500g bag of Papua New Guinea beans. Will the 2.25 Kg that shipped from Luxembourg on Friday reach me in time, or will I have to go pay Ponaire a visit? Nail biting time.

I don't know...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Looking forward to trying these out. Ordered on Thursday last and delivered this morning. Roast date 19/06

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm down to a desperate 150g of my 500g bag of Papua New Guinea beans. Will the 2.25 Kg that shipped from Luxembourg on Friday reach me in time, or will I have to go pay Ponaire a visit? Nail biting time.

Well that's a nice surprise, Roasted on the 25th and arrived from Luxembourg on the 29th. Panic over. My shipment includes 250g of robusta pearl beans from India, so this should be an interesting experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Went for a few bags from Mahers in Cork. Easy website, good descriptions and particularly like that they have Italian Roasts.

Went for the following:
    Italian
    El Salvador
    French
    Brazilian Santos

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Cloud picker Sam nearly gone. Seen bell lane had free delivery over 20 euro, so went with house blend as never tried before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

Slattsy wrote: »
    Went for a few bags from Mahers in Cork. Easy website, good descriptions and particularly like that they have Italian Roasts.

Went for the following:
    Italian
    El Salvador
    French
    Brazilian Santos

I would like to hear your thoughts on these.

I like the Italian, its lovely.
    The French is good but very dark (and oily?) nice though.
    I was going to get the el Sal, but picked the Santos on my last visit, which was unfortunate as i didn't really twig with it as its very much on the lighter side of the "Medium" roast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I see they have a new Brazilian organic bean on WCC - might be my next purchase!

Slattsy wrote: »

Went for the following:
    Italian
    El Salvador
    French
    Brazilian Santos

These landed this morning, next day delivery from Cork to Dublin, via GLS. That's the kind of service i want!!!

I've a fair bit of tasting to do today :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Ran out of beans on Sunday, I knew my JJ Darboven sub would be arriving today so didnt buy any more to fill the gap.

Needed coffee this morning for the car - had a nespresso vertuo to fill the gap.....I felt like crying :(

Will have a nice cup of my delivery after work, looking forward to see what is in this months delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Del007

beanian wrote: »
    Cheers, ended up going with CoffeeAngel this time €68 for 2kg and a pack of filters delivered.

Also, worth mentioning, Cloud Picker have 20% off their SAM coffee. €25 for 1kg. If I hadn't of just polished off 2kg of this coffee I would have gone for this again as it's great value!

I just got a 1kg bag of this delivered yesterday morning.

I've had 2 cups today and I'm not a massive fan of it at all. It's my first time buying coffee from a roaster and I'm a tad bit disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Each to their own, but SAM is very highly regarded.

How are you brewing it?

I have a bean to cup coffee machine. I don't know much about coffee to be honest, I'll give it another try in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Got delivery of bell lane today. Man that was fast. Roast date yesterday. They threw in a sample of single origin which was great of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Go Home Paddy Cat!!

adrian522 wrote: »
    I was in Coffeeangel yesterday and picked up a bag of San Jacinto from Honduras .

Roast date - 16/06. Certainly one for the pour over, great flavour from it. I think it was €9.50

Thats a nice one. Would be interesting to see what you think of their 'los alpes - honduras'. I really like it. Lovely hint of blueberry off it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

https://www.coffeejudge.co.uk/tesco-finest-java-sumatra-coffee

I can attest it's strong and perfectly drinkable to my palette.

Better is: https://www.mondodelcaffe.de/produkt/indien-perlbohne-peaberry-craigmore-estate-arabica/

This I really like. Strong and very flavorsome. The spiel says the pearl beans are larger than normal, more spherical and more strongly flavoured than normal beans. I found the description to be very accurate.

This stuff will make your hair stand on end, your eyballs bulge and you'll be wired and jittery (double espresso): https://www.ponaire.ie/product/sumatra-single-origin/ And it's definitely nice.

Just trying the Ponaire Sumatra now. I had to run down my old stock. Nice dark roast and a good kick. Quick delivery too.

Only quibble is the roast date is 'June 2020' which is very vague and could have been more than 3 weeks before I ordered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Just trying the Ponaire Sumatra now. I had to run down my old stock. Nice dark roast and a good kick. Quick delivery too.

Only quibble is the roast date is 'June 2020' which is very vague and could have been more than 3 weeks before I ordered it.

That is vague.

Never came across this dating style before.

Trying to hide it was an early June batch i'd imagine.

This may possibly be a stupid question but how do you know what type of coffee you like?

I messaged a coffee roasters and asked them what bean would they recommend, they asked me if I like nutty or fruity coffee. I don't think that I like either...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Del007 wrote: »
    This may possibly be a stupid question but how do you know what type of coffee you like?

I messaged a coffee roasters and asked them what bean would they recommend, they asked me if I like nutty or fruity coffee. I don't think that I like either...

How do you know what wine you like?

or beer?

Or tea?

Tasting them...:)

What coffee do you usually drink or taste profile do you find most pleasing etc?

maybe tell them that.

In fairness to Ponaire I emailed them and they replied immediately:

'If you give us the batch number, we can tell you exactly the date is was roasted. We do monthly dates as all our labelling is done by hand and we label up a bunch of bags at the same time and apply the batch number as they are filled. All our coffees have very great turnover – we roast and re-stock all our coffees once or twice a week'.

I sent them the batch numbers and the coffee was roasted the day before it was sent to me.

• Advertisement

In fairness to Ponaire I emailed them and they replied immediately:

'If you give us the batch number, we can tell you exactly the date is was roasted. We do monthly dates as all our labelling is done by hand and we label up a bunch of bags at the same time and apply the batch number as they are filled. All our coffees have very great turnover – we roast and re-stock all our coffees once or twice a week'.

I sent them the batch numbers and the coffee was roasted the day before it was sent to me.

A while back, there were a couple of times when I walked into Ponaire to buy coffee, they would have to pop into the roasting room next door and fill a bag or two as they hadn't any done. They always gave a complimentary espresso everytime I ordered so the time was never wasted. :-)

That's actually how I came across the Sumatran: 'here try this'...

A while back, there were a couple of times when I walked into Ponaire to buy coffee, they would have to pop into the roasting room next door and fill a bag or two as they hadn't any done. They always gave a complimentary espresso everytime I ordered so the time was never wasted. :-)

That's actually how I came across the Sumatran: 'here try this'...

It's a bit of a walk for me but I'll chance my arm the next time I'm in that neck of the woods!

It's a bit of a walk for me but I'll chance my arm the next time I'm in that neck of the woods!

They used to be in an industrial estate near Limerick, which is when I visited. I believe they moved to Newport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Del007 wrote: »
    I just got a 1kg bag of this delivered yesterday morning.

I've had 2 cups today and I'm not a massive fan of it at all. It's my first time buying coffee from a roaster and I'm a tad bit disappointed.

I'm on the SAM as well at the moment and could take it or leave it. There's just nothing exemplary about it. I can imagine it's nicer as an Espresso or in a Latte maybe?

I'm brewing with Aeropress:
    • Halfway between fine and medium on grinder
    • Kettle just off boil (Let cool for maybe 30 seconds to a min)
    • ~18g coffee
    • Inverted method
    • Stir about 6 times (I don't normally count) and brew for 1:15 total
    • Flip right-side up at 1:00 or so
    • Plunge at 1:15 for 45 seconds

Open to tips if anyone would like to make a suggestion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I'm finishing off a bag of SAM at the moment and would usually make it as a flat white. It's definitely nice, but I can't seem to a good result without making it with milk. Espresso/americano are a bit flat or something - not sure really how to explain it. Did some fiddling with grind/timing at the start, but didn't have much success. Could probably have done more in fairness.

10% off WCC till midnight - code WCC10

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

10% off WCC till midnight - code WCC10

I was meant to post here last week.

Ordered from WCC on Tuesday 30th. roasted on Thursday and delivered on Friday. You can't beat that with a bag of hammers.

Got the * Innovation Series * Hydro and the INDONESIA - BENER MERIAH. Both some of the best coffees I've had.

The Indonesian is as good as that East Timorese one they had a while back. The hydro is a special special brew.

Very fresh but theres a nice sweetness to it. It's gone into the freezer now as my "special occasion" coffee.

Next order from WCC was gonna be a kilo of the Indonesian, but we'll see what they have next week.

I was meant to post here last week.

Ordered from WCC on Tuesday 30th. roasted on Thursday and delivered on Friday. You can't beat that with a bag of hammers.

Got the * Innovation Series * Hydro and the INDONESIA - BENER MERIAH. Both some of the best coffees I've had.

The Indonesian is as good as that East Timorese one they had a while back. The hydro is a special special brew.

Very fresh but theres a nice sweetness to it. It's gone into the freezer now as my "special occasion" coffee.

Next order from WCC was gonna be a kilo of the Indonesian, but we'll see what they have next week.

Just saw they have 3 new coffees coming over the next 3 days starting today with 10% off each for a day I think

I got the hydro series a while back - really nice, very sweet honey and apricot just like the tasting notes. Really unusual.

WCC are always super fast on the delivery etc. They are my favourite place for single origins I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Go Home Paddy Cat!!

Ordered the burundi from wild heart. Arrived yeaterday. Absolutely divine coffee. The order got delayed on their end so they threw in a free bag of villamaria columbian coffee which was a nice touch! delighted with the order :) Thanks for the recommendation guys.

• Advertisement

I've got to say this forum has been a super source of recommendations and info sharing since lockdown especially - thanks everyone! My coffee life has improved ten fold even if not the rest of my life :pac::D

Advertisement