Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford developments

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

DLS_75 wrote: »
    Any update on Jurys?

I have no information. But surely some news is due - 14 years closed. Nothing is more symbolic of the decline of Waterford than that derelict building looming over the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    I have no information. But surely some news is due - 14 years closed. Nothing is more symbolic of the decline of Waterford than that derelict building looming over the city centre.

I think such questions should be put to the owner of Waterford castle....he was/is/will be the owner of this property once the legal arguments are concluded (maybe they are already) He has ambitious plans for the site but To date don’t think a planning application has been submitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DLS_75

He promised great things for Waterford castle but did nothing. There was a front page story recently about billion euro developments at bilberry and nothing since.

He promised great things for Waterford castle but did nothing. There was a front page story recently about billion euro developments at bilberry and nothing since.

Yes remember that headline alright.....haven’t been in castle since he took it over....I take it this man is well experienced in the hotel management field...hard to find anything online about his ‘CV’.........could it be that he will just get planning for the sites and then ‘flip them’ on......time will tell ultimately.....has the castle had much investment in recent years...?

Very little as far as I know and they have removed more than one top class chef. Me thinks he’s waiting for the north quays to start so he can make a tidy profit. When you think about it, his plans actually including keeping the current structure. Surely that wasn’t even possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

What about this:
    https://waterford-news.ie/2019/08/29/waterford-leads-the-way-for-direct-provision/

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Not sure about the decline bit.....but was there not news during the year that the Tracy Hotel Group had lost a High Court case about the sale of the Ardree to the present owners? Tracy's claimed adverse possession and that they had purchased the hotel. They are appealing the High Court decision. Nothing can happen until that delay , which has taken years to solve, is completed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

azimuth17 wrote: »
    Not sure about the decline bit.....but was there not news during the year that the Tracy Hotel Group had lost a High Court case about the sale of the Ardree to the present owners? Tracy's claimed adverse possession and that they had purchased the hotel. They are appealing the High Court decision. Nothing can happen until that delay , which has taken years to solve, is completed?

I don't think that is completed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

debok wrote: »
    I don't think that is completed yet.

I think you are right.
    The tower hotel extension was approved also but Monica Leech appealed it to courts I think because of a property claim on part of the land.it is mad to think that these issues of who owns what come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Monica Leech?! Jasus there's a name Joe Duffy won't want to hear again.

• Advertisement

Monica Leech?! Jasus there's a name Joe Duffy won't want to hear again.

Or the guy from cork that rang in that day........;):D

Re Ard Ri site - worth remembering that someone has a scheme for a 200 foot statue to sit right in front of the current structure.

Next to the 24-hour runway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

vriesmays wrote: »
    Next to the 24-hour runway.

With you strapped-down in the touchdown zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I see a new art exhibition space has opened up on O'Connell St.

This will be great for culture in the city and help to clean up the area as the building was disused.

Anyone know what’s going across the road from it? Think it used to be a children’s clothes shop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

No mention of gender quotas there...just that the collection currently on display happened to be half male/half female. Not that you'd let that stop you from stirring sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Anyone know what’s going across the road from it? Think it used to be a children’s clothes shop

Gopher It?
    The whole building (incl. apartments overhead) was taken over by the council.
    Sort of a public amenity space to be put on the ground floor.
    Kind of a community centre, me thinks?

Found it!
    "In the medium to long term, the building will be used as a culture and creativity centre"
    https://eddiemulligan.com/a-new-life-for-the-gopher-it-building/

No mention of gender quotas there...just that the collection currently on display happened to be half male/half female. Not that you'd let that stop you from stirring sh*te.

You're waiting for RTÉ to explain everything to you. Exhibiting unknown local female painters alongside greats like JB Yeats is called gender quota.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

You're waiting for RTÉ to explain everything to you. Exhibiting unknown local female painters alongside greats like JB Yeats is called gender quota.

And you're reading too much into everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

Really impressed with the new Waterford Gallery yesterday. It was open for the Imagine Arts Festival - great festival btw.

The Irish female artists on display are there on merit. There's Evie Hone, Sarah Purser, Ann Yeats, Mainie Jellet amongst others.

A collection to be very proud of.

Musgraves at the Six Cross junction is on the market for 4.7m, wasn't something vaguely earmarked for that site?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Its occupied by Musgrave's and The Range and is on the market as a leasehold property. Existing tenants not affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Muttley79

https://waterford-news.ie/2019/11/19/development-debrief/
    Seems like everything is waiting on the north quay developments.

Ah ffs. They’d wanna take down that coming soon poster in railway square so.

Arclabs continue to do the business -
    A recent €2.5 million investment by Enterprise Ireland into the research and innovation hub ArcLabs at Waterford Institute of Technology (WIT) has had a major impact on expanding the South East’s entrepreneurial ecosystem.

The new 1,000 sqm extension of ArcLabs – officially opened on November 15 by Minister of State for Training, Skills, Innovation, Research and Development John Halligan - is supported by the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation through Enterprise Ireland and consists of office and support space for 100 extra people.

The recently completed extension represents an important next step in the institute’s plans for establishing an entrepreneurial platform that will accelerate economic development and position the region as a global leader in the digital economy.

A brilliant success story in it's own terms, what's needed is for some of the eggs to become economic golden eagles.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

razorronan wrote: »

Great news, congrats Glanbia but you have to laugh at the difference in reportage of this between the Kilkenny and Waterford media;
    Waterford: Glanbia, Port of Waterford
    Kilkenny: Glanbia, Belview Co. Kilkenny
    Will they ever grow up? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Great news, congrats Glanbia but you have to laugh at the difference in reportage of this between the Kilkenny and Waterford media;
    Waterford: Glanbia, Port of Waterford
    Kilkenny: Glanbia, Belview Co. Kilkenny
    Will they ever grow up? :rolleyes:

How did an amalgamation of the two biggest dairy co-ops in the country, Avonmore and Waterford Foods, result in a company that is clearly a very outwardly Kilkenny company?

Closure of Snowcream. Closure of Kilmeaden. Closure of Grange in west Waterford.

Kilmeaden Cheese in particular should be boycotted in Waterford after what happened.

Advertisement