Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Azatadine wrote: »
    I thought they only opened it a few months ago? Moved location and everything up to close to Tesco? The old station is definitely closed now anyway. I passed by there a month ago and its boarded up/no entry.

You could be right i just dont recall hearing or seeing them move all too recently. The Garda station i know of up there doesnt look too new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Azatadine

alta stare wrote: »
    You could be right i just dont recall hearing or seeing them move all too recently. The Garda station i know of up there doesnt look too new.

Just edited my post above. Yes, swanky new one opened a year ago. Fine big one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭azimuth17

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Azatadine wrote: »
    Just edited my post above. Yes, swanky new one opened a year ago. Fine big one too.

Yep you are correct. I just had a check myself. :D didnt even know they had built that. Fine building an all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I see bit of talk about some Danish furniture shop, I read in the Times that decathlon, I think it's a large French sports shop, looking at Waterford, cork and galway after their dubin shop opens, I know nothing else about this crowd, What kind of space they need etc, besides the city square unit and railway square, no other medium sized units available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Max Powers wrote: »
    I see bit of talk about some Danish furniture shop, I read in the Times that decathlon, I think it's a large French sports shop, looking at Waterford, cork and galway after their dubin shop opens, I know nothing else about this crowd, What kind of space they need etc, besides the city square unit and railway square, no other medium sized units available

decathlons stuff is suppose to be very good and cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Frisby clearing the field beside the travellers on the outer ring road near Williamstown and with a view to work beginning on the construction of a new housing estate at that location. Could be wrong but the entrance to the estate will be shared with the slip road the travellers use by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Nice....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I have been in Decathlons that have been enormous... not Ikea sized but certainly, large as a very big Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Frisby clearing the field beside the travellers on the outer ring road near Williamstown and with a view to work beginning on the construction of a new housing estate at that location. Could be wrong but the entrance to the estate will be shared with the slip road the travellers use by the looks of it.

Saw that, surely there must be a plan to move that encampment on. As a side note, there shouldn't be any exits directly onto the ring road from estates. Virtually a car crash charter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    I have been in Decathlons that have been enormous... not Ikea sized but certainly, large as a very big Tesco.

Yea I was in one in Bruges that was maybe bigger than Tesco Ardkeen, but equally I've been in a smaller one in possibly Barcelona which would comfortably in in one of the big empty units in city square. Either way I'd be delighted if they ended up in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭rekdtangle

Also back in for retention and planning permission for houses he started across from the halting site. The man is a chancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭dzilla

The plan is to build a new site entrance off the ring road about 300 meters from the entrance you mentioned.

http://193.178.30.153/iDocsWebDPSS/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=393691&format=jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Heard on WLR that the housing development at Knockboy has been approved...

Also the old Malloys site on the Cleaboy road has something going in there

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There was this widespread perception amongst successive governments after Independence, and certainly after Ireland started to properly develop and modernise in the 1960s that the South East was a strong region in economic terms, with good agricultural land, sizable towns and industry.

The West was seen as very underdeveloped and poor and massive amounts of investment was poured into Galway, the result being the city rapidly expanding from the late 1960s up to the early 2000s. Having a university was a massive advantage.

Whilst the regions were developing, the South East got badly overlooked, and economic data after 2000 which showed that the Celtic Tiger left it behind was repeatedly ignored. Waterford needs to assert itself so that it can properly develop into the bigger city it should be and a strong regional centre and investment is a critical part of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

JupiterKid wrote: »
    There was this widespread perception amongst successive governments after Independence, and certainly after Ireland started to properly develop and modernise in the 1960s that the South East was a strong region in economic terms, with good agricultural land, sizable towns and industry.

The West was seen as very underdeveloped and poor and massive amounts of investment was poured into Galway, the result being the city rapidly expanding from the late 1960s up to the early 2000s. Having a university was a massive advantage.

Whilst the regions were developing, the South East got badly overlooked, and economic data after 2000 which showed that the Celtic Tiger left it behind was repeatedly ignored. Waterford needs to assert itself so that it can properly develop into the bigger city it should be and a strong regional centre and investment is a critical part of that.

How?

That is the question that needs to be answered.

How?

That is the question that needs to be answered.

No.1...vote for insiders, not outsiders.

Are you local? What sort of insider?

Are you local? What sort of insider?

Of course. Political insider.

They've done so well for us in the past it's hard to argue against.

• Advertisement

You dont think outsiders can do anything do you.in general, look at larger positives that happened over last 20 or so years, practically all happened under cullen or coffey....insiders. look at where the power is and decisions made; government parties, cabinet, taoiseach...all insiders. still, a lot of people prefer the table bangers who say what they like but get little to nothing done..outsiders.

You dont think outsiders can do anything do you.in general, look at larger positives that happened over last 20 or so years, practically all happened under cullen or coffey....insiders. look at where the power is and decisions made; government parties, cabinet, taoiseach...all insiders. still, a lot of people prefer the table bangers who say what they like but get little to nothing done..outsiders.

So embedded are the heads of dept "against" Waterford it's a loosing battle either way. I say against, I don't think the permanent government even thinks about us really.

Anyway to other stuff - Gallaghers Pharmacy has been sold for 600k, the rent is 65k PA. Also the presbytery on Manor Hill has not sold not even a bid made which is alarming. 5.55 ac for guide price of €2.3m should have been of interest to someone, the scope for a multi faceted development is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

So embedded are the heads of dept "against" Waterford it's a loosing battle either way. I say against, I don't think the permanent government even thinks about us really.

Anyway to other stuff - Gallaghers Pharmacy has been sold for 600k, the rent is 65k PA. Also the presbytery on Manor Hill has not sold not even a bid made which is alarming. 5.55 ac for guide price of €2.3m should have been of interest to someone, the scope for a multi faceted development is obvious.

Don’t think that site would be of massive interest to developers. It’s a hilly site, with a large listed building and a graveyard. When everything is dealt with there probably would not be much profit in it.

The heads dont think of us because again, we dont have the insiders asking them, telling them, putting our case, whatever needs to be done, etc etc

The heads dont think of us because again, we dont have the insiders asking them, telling them, putting our case, whatever needs to be done, etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

How do you know that?

never under estimate the power of the outsider, it could be argued that it was largely outsider influence that has lead us to our current situation regarding irish water

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    never under estimate the power of the outsider, it could be argued that it was largely outsider influence that has lead us to our current situation regarding irish water

What has Irish water got do with strategies to improve Waterford's clout .My contention is outsiders in general wont help our situation.

• Advertisement

What has Irish water got do with strategies to improve Waterford's clout.

dont worry about it

Advertisement