Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford developments

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    again, austerity rocks!

Austerity stopped about 5 or 6 years ago. HSE got about €900m extra to play with this year and it's still not enough for them. Shambles.

HSE is the bucket with the hole that will never be plugged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Muttley79

https://www.facebook.com/1391610774448304/posts/2433407746935263/
    This does not look good for Waterford in general.this could be the nail in the coffin for us as a city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Current crane count = zero

Cumulative crane count over the past ten years = 1*

(* for the Dunmore Wing** at University College Cork Hospital - Waterford Annex***)
    (** built with local money, unstaffed and unopened by the HSE)
    (*** functioning mortuary pending)

We're led by donkeys.

Some goodish news re the Glass site at Kilbarry

https://www.wlrfm.com/2019/10/09/planning-permission-granted-for-former-waterford-crystal-site-refurb/
    The former Waterford Crystal offices and showrooms on the Cork Road in Waterford are to be totally refurbished.

Ibrook Ltd has received planning permission from Waterford Council to carry out the work.

The three-story office block will have the cladding and glazing replaced and will be extended by 920 square metres.

A food court and retail unit will be provided in a section of the former showrooms.

The old single-storey restaurant on the site will be demolished.

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Current crane count = zero

Cumulative crane count over the past ten years = 1*

(* for the Dunmore Wing** at University College Cork Hospital - Waterford Annex***)
    (** built with local money, unstaffed and unopened by the HSE)
    (*** functioning mortuary pending)

Pretty sure here were cranes at St Patrick's Hospital with the recent upgrades?

Anyway, Irish people have a mad obsession with crane counting. While it does indicate development - it doesn't indicate wealth. I was in Bordeaux a few weeks ago, feck all cranes but dripping with wealth.

Muttley79 wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/1391610774448304/posts/2433407746935263/
    This does not look good for Waterford in general.this could be the nail in the coffin for us as a city

Is the bee in Eddie's bonnet that a different terminology has been used for some of the regional towns, both in the South East and in all of the other regions?

And he felt Waterford IT and Waterford Airport should have been mentioned prominently but weren't?

If that's all he has to be worrying about Waterford will be absolutely fine.

Waterford IT will not be a University anytime soon, nor will the airport be a huge driver employment in the region.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

This week's N&S.

We expose a Government document – supposedly their economic Masterplan for the southern region – for catastrophically failing Waterford.

The proposed transfer of Plunkett Railway station onto the North Quay has skyrocketed to an estimated €50 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Deiseen

hardybuck wrote: »

Anyway, Irish people have a mad obsession with crane counting. While it does indicate development - it doesn't indicate wealth. I was in Bordeaux a few weeks ago, feck all cranes but dripping with wealth.

All the cranes left last month, left all the wealth

Deiseen wrote: »
    All the cranes left last month, left all the wealth

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

We're led by donkeys.

https://www.wlrfm.com/2019/10/09/planning-permission-granted-for-former-waterford-crystal-site-refurb/

It's in a good location which will draw in plenty from the surrounding areas of Ballybeg, Larchville, Lisduggan, Templars Hall etc. as well as the student traffic from nearby WIT. I'll probably get criticised for saying it but I can't help think this will just turn into a Lisduggan Shopping Centre 2.0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Cake Man wrote: »
    We're led by donkeys.

It's in a good location which will draw in plenty from the surrounding areas of Ballybeg, Larchville, Lisduggan, Templars Hall etc. as well as the student traffic from nearby WIT. I'll probably get criticised for saying it but I can't help think this will just turn into a Lisduggan Shopping Centre 2.0.

Please tell us how on earth is Frisby going to turn planning permission for offices into a Lisduggan Shopping Centre 2.0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

I quite like the crane count. Cuts through bull$****; like we are the third richest region in Europe:

Southern part of Ireland third richest in EU but west lags behind

"Residents of Cork, Limerick and Waterford are living in the third-richest region across the European Union, according to a new report from Eurostat.

This puts them behind the residents of part of London and Luxembourg but ahead of those in Dublin, which ranked in fifth place."

I quite like the crane count. Cuts through bull$****; like we are the third richest region in Europe:

"Residents of Cork, Limerick and Waterford are living in the third-richest region across the European Union, according to a new report from Eurostat.

This puts them behind the residents of part of London and Luxembourg but ahead of those in Dublin, which ranked in fifth place."

The crane count in Dublin is funded by international finance taking advantage of historically low interest rates. It is not an indication of wealth.

Also - that article refers to GDP, whereas a better indicator in Ireland is modified Gross National Income - GNI*.

It's an indication of something actually happening and that's what matters.

It's an indication of something actually happening and that's what matters.

It's no doubt an indication of something happening - but what is a better question.

If you go to Kenya today, you'll see a massive amount of development - mostly Chinese industries. Are the people there befitting from it - not really no going by the poverty levels.

Apparently employment in the south east rose by 21% between end 2012 and 2018 - 32,400 extra jobs. Unemployment rates are lower than the EU average but slightly higher than other parts of Ireland.

These are indicators I'd be following more closely.

What the feck? Has Wanderer78 hacked your account?

Okay let's have no development of the city and recceed into dusty obscurity - we're already halfway there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

We may be rich is statistical terms however in terms of government funding and a return on the tax generated by this wealth we are far from rich. As I said in another post €150 million in around 0.2% of government spending for 2019. To put that into perspective if your salary is €40000, 0.2% of that is €80. That is how small an amount of money €150 million is in government terms. And they will not give it for the north quays project spread over a few years.

What the feck? Has Wanderer78 hacked your account?

Okay let's have no development of the city and recceed into dusty obscurity.

I'm saying that there is an obsession with crane counting, and while it indicates activity no doubt, it doesn't indicate wealth.

BBM77 wrote: »
    We may be rich is statistical terms however in terms of government funding and a return on the tax generated by this wealth we are far from rich. As I said in another post €150 million in around 0.2% of government spending for 2019. To put that into perspective if your salary is €40000, 0.2% of that is €80. That is how small an amount of money €150 million is in government terms. And they will not give it for the north quays project spread over a few years.

That's why GNI* is a better indicator for Ireland, as we have a misleadingly high GDP which distorts things.

To put things into perspective for you, if the amount of tax you pay is €40,000, the amount the country spends on Social Protection is €10,800, Education is €5,600, Health is €9,200.

Then our debt costs you another €4,950, so you've got only €9,450 of your money left to pay for the Justice Sector, Transport, Agriculture and everything else. If you have €80 left at the end you'll be doing well.

I'm sure you'll apply that logic to the North Quays if that ever actually starts eh?

That's why GNI* is a better indicator for Ireland, as we have a misleadingly high GDP which distorts things.

To put things into perspective for you, if the amount of tax you pay is €40,000, the amount the country spends on Social Protection is €10,800, Education is €5,600, Health is €9,200.

Then our debt costs you another €4,950, so you've got only €9,450 of your money left to pay for the Justice Sector, Transport, Agriculture and everything else. If you have €80 left at the end you'll be doing well.

Don’t know what the patronising “To put things into perspective for you” is about. I was only trying to make the point of how little €150 million is in government terms.

Also, in your answer you failed to factor in that the government gets much of what they spend back on taxation. Much of spending is cyclical for the government. Specially on infrastructure such as what is being asked for on the North Quays project.

Don’t know what the patronising “To put things into perspective for you” is about. I was only trying to make the point of how little €150 million is in government terms.

And I was giving you an indication about how tight things are.

Just to follow up on the point you've added later, in my answer I haven't failed to do anything, rather I've responded to your simplistic overview of expenditure, in which you've demonstrated what 0.2% of €40,000 amounts to. In doing so I've taken that €40,000 you identified, and demonstrated how it'd be carved up the way government expenditure is currently allocated.

Ireland has indeed had a history of running pro-cyclical budgets, which goes against Keynesian macroeconomic principles. There would be an argument towards the Government expenditure becoming countercyclical right now, and reducing expenditure to accumulate savings when the economy is still growing.

Capital expenditure over time has been subject to significant volatility. In the boom time era, 1996-2003, 2005-2007 and 2009-2018, capital expenditure has been pro-cyclical - and that has caused different degrees of trouble.

And I was giving you an indication about how tight things are.

Just to follow up on the point you've added later, in my answer I haven't failed to do anything, rather I've responded to your simplistic overview of expenditure, in which you've demonstrated what 0.2% of €40,000 amounts to. In doing so I've taken that €40,000 you identified, and demonstrated how it'd be carved up the way government expenditure is currently allocated.

Ireland has indeed had a history of running pro-cyclical budgets, which goes against Keynesian macroeconomic principles. There would be an argument towards the Government expenditure becoming countercyclical right now, and reducing expenditure to accumulate savings when the economy is still growing.

Capital expenditure over time has been subject to significant volatility. In the boom time era, 1996-2003, 2005-2007 and 2009-2018, capital expenditure has been pro-cyclical - and that has caused different degrees of trouble.

I was not giving an overview of expenditure, simplistic or otherwise. It’s frankly bizarre that you think from what I wrote I was. Don’t know why you feel the need to use patronising words like simplistic. As I said I was only trying to make the point of how little €150 million is in government terms, which is a completely valid point to make. You are defending the indefensible here. The government has stated a surplus of €600 million this year. There is the money to pay for the North Quay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Cake Man wrote: »

How will offices and a cafe be turned into lisduggan shopping centre 2.0 :confused:

I dont think theres going to be a dealz or gadget shop going into it..

I was not giving an overview of expenditure, simplistic or otherwise. It’s frankly bizarre that you think from what I wrote I was. Don’t know why you feel the need to use patronising words like simplistic. As I said I was only trying to make the point of how little €150 million is in government terms, which is a completely valid point to make. You are defending the indefensible here. The government has stated a surplus of €600 million this year. There is the money to pay for the North Quay.

Ah look we're on different wavelengths obviously. It's small in relation to everything the State spends money on, but it's still a lot of money that this project would already have if there was a compelling need for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DLS_75

Any update on Jurys?

Advertisement