Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Muttley79

https://www.facebook.com/120792148007585/posts/2496538327099610/
    A depressing reading for Waterford and the south east region.waterford once again been left behind with this government and previous ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Bards wrote: »
    Would love to know if they SE voted to become an independent principality but still remain Irish and in the EU aka Monaco would we be able to sustain ourselves. What is the difference between expenditure and income on a macro economic level.

If we are in surplus and we give more to the state coffers than we receive in state transfers then I believe it is something we the people of the SE need to give serious thought to

Waterford wouldn't be anywhere close to breaking even between income and expenditure.

It wouldn't be a member of the EU.

Ireland is also a Republic and principalities are ruled by princes. So it'd need to find a Royal family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Muttley79 wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/120792148007585/posts/2496538327099610/
    A depressing reading for Waterford and the south east region.waterford once again been left behind with this government and previous ones.

Despite having a population of only 24,000 more than the South East, Cork is going to receive €1.46 billion more in capital funding between now and 2027 – according to the Government’s Investments Project Tracker. The Waterford News & Star contacted the county’s four TDs, John Halligan, David Cullinane, Mary Butler and John Deasy to see what they intended to do to about the substantial difference in capital funding. No reply was received from either John Halligan or John Deasy, and Mary Butler’s office confirmed that the Fianna Fáil TD was currently on annual leave.

Someone remember to turn the lights off, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

In fairness there has been considerable infrastructural investment in the South East over the last 10 years including the New Ross and Enniscorthy By Pass, improved access to the region via the M11 developments, etc. Over the last 10 years there has been zero such infrastructural investments in Cork.
    Also that population statistic is misleading as it's simply wrong. Tipperary is no longer in the South East region and the South East is considerably larger size wise anyway if you include that. You simply can't compare that to Cork where there are over 400,000 people living within 20 miles of Cork City centre and which contributes 20% of GDP and contributes a greater share of tax generation and revenue. It's simply not comparable and is disingenuous in the extreme.

As a lot of information is pointing towards an upcoming global recession, and in the light of the potential Brexit outcomes, will house prices in Waterford begin to cool and investments by developers be held back?

Prices in most parts of Dublin have been cooling for a while now - mainly due to the mortgage lending caps and less cash buyers in the market than a couple of years back.

The average couple on average money could still comfortably afford most average houses in Waterford without coming within sight of the lending caps though which has allowed prices in the area to keep growing when other parts of the country have been slowing down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

rebs23 wrote: »
    In fairness there has been considerable infrastructural investment in the South East over the last 10 years including the New Ross and Enniscorthy By Pass, improved access to the region via the M11 developments, etc. Over the last 10 years there has been zero such infrastructural investments in Cork.
    Also that population statistic is misleading as it's simply wrong. Tipperary is no longer in the South East region and the South East is considerably larger size wise anyway if you include that. You simply can't compare that to Cork where there are over 400,000 people living within 20 miles of Cork City centre and which contributes 20% of GDP and contributes a greater share of tax generation and revenue. It's simply not comparable and is disingenuous in the extreme.

Since when was this decided? South Tipp at the very least is 100% in the South East

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Even excluding tipp, it’s 1.46 billion vs 96 million.

By any metric It’s not that disingenuous to be fair.

Since when was this decided? South Tipp at the very least is 100% in the South East
    Tipperary was moved to the Mid West earlier this year for statistical purposes. It increases the Mid West population so not sure who was behind the move. from CSO website;
    Revisions to composition of NUTS Regions
    The NUTS boundaries were amended on 21st November 2016 under Regulation (EC) No.2066/2016 and took effect from 1st January 2018. Please see http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/nuts/history for further details.

As a result, new NUTS (regional classification) groupings have been introduced for Ireland. At NUTS3 level, County Louth has moved from the Border to the Mid-East region and what was formerly South Tipperary has moved from the South-East to the Mid-West Region. At NUTS2 level, the change sees the number of regions increase from two to three. Please see Appendices I and II for the new and old classifications.

Gavlor wrote: »
    Even excluding tipp, it’s 1.46 billion vs 96 million.

By any metric It’s not that disingenuous to be fair.
    My point is that the South East had significant investment on roads infrastructural projects which the SW did not. New Ross and Enniscorthy alone will total approx. .5bn. Nothing of that scale has happened in Cork in over 10 years. Also you are comparing one county to a whole region which is a bit unfair. The SW has considerably bigger population than SE and some of the projects listed including the M22 actually facilitate greater access to Kerry. Its the Kerry politicians lobbying for the M22.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

My point is that the South East had significant investment on roads infrastructural projects which the SW did not. New Ross and Enniscorthy alone will total approx. .5bn. Nothing of that scale has happened in Cork in over 10 years. Also you are comparing one county to a whole region which is a bit unfair. The SW has considerably bigger population than SE and some of the projects listed including the M22 actually facilitate greater access to Kerry. Its the Kerry politicians lobbying for the M22.

I can't believe you have the audacity to argue that Cork has gotten less investment than Waterford or the Southeast under any heading, it's laughable.
    Could it be that Cork got all it's major roads infrastructure in the preceding decade e.g. South Ring, Jack Lynch tunnel(untolled, unlike Waterford 2nd bridge), M8, etc. etc. etc.
    Going to start calling you Comical Ali.

• Advertisement

I can't believe you have the audacity to argue that Cork has gotten less investment than Waterford or the Southeast under any heading, it's laughable.
    Could it be that Cork got all it's major roads infrastructure in the preceding decade e.g. South Ring, Jack Lynch tunnel(untolled, unlike Waterford 2nd bridge), M8, etc. etc. etc.
    Fact is over recent years South East has had far more transportation infrastructural investment. That's just a fact. South West is a far more populous region than South East, that's just a fact. Cork is far more populous than any other urban area outside of Dublin and has by far and away the larger economy. It should attract significantly more infrastructural investment.
    Why not compare South East with Mid West or West when comparing investment? They are more comparable regions.

Why not compare South East with Mid West or West when comparing investment? They are more comparable regions.

South East, certainly Waterford is competing with Cork more than say Galway. I see you are from Cork so we'll assume an understandable agenda on your part :)

Would it be possible to discuss developments in Waterford rather than comparing the SE region with other regions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Michail Martin has to get something for cork from sitting on his hands in the dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Fact is over recent years South East has had far more transportation infrastructural investment. That's just a fact. South West is a far more populous region than South East, that's just a fact. Cork is far more populous than any other urban area outside of Dublin and has by far and away the larger economy. It should attract significantly more infrastructural investment.

Look Comical Ali, no ones arguing that Cork doesn't deserve a proportionately higher spend based on population, economics etc. but whatever way you present poulation vis-a-vis investment, Waterford has been hugely, disproportionately under-invested in by the state, not just over the past 10 years but for generations, probably since the founding of the state. Thats just a fact. Read the SE Economic Monitor.

Look Comical Ali, no ones arguing that Cork doesn't deserve a proportionately higher spend based on population, economics etc. but whatever way you present poulation vis-a-vis investment, Waterford has been hugely, disproportionately under-invested in by the state, not just over the past 10 years but for generations, probably since the founding of the state. Thats just a fact. Read the SE Economic Monitor.
    I wouldn't disagree with that at all and especially the current applications for moving the train station and the pedestrian bridge which could facilitate so much. look every region in Ireland outside of Dublin has it's grievances over spending allocations. Even in Dublin they would probably have genuine grievances in relation to infrastructure. Put simply in recent years we have completely ignored investing in infrastructure and we are paying for it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Didn’t they get rid of North/South in 2014? It’s just one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭azimuth17

JohnC. wrote: »
    Didn’t they get rid of North/South in 2014? It’s just one now.
    I think someone posted here that the CSO now include it in Mid West, but other organisations do not. HSE and Slaintecare project include it in South East. Its typical Ireland We have regions and they are deconstructed as required to fit the current politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

The M8 is tolled.....unlike the M9 all the way to Dublin. The South Ring was build over 20 years ago and is significantly overcapacity. In that time a few flyovers were tagged on, but again they were completed over 10 years ago. Nothing has happened since.

I'd like to see a split of strategic versus sustaining spend in Cork over the past 10 years, I can't recall any projects of note.

But we do have a tolled bypass, swings and roundabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

The M8 is tolled.....unlike the M9 all the way to Dublin. The South Ring was build over 20 years ago and is significantly overcapacity. In that time a few flyovers were tagged on, but again they were completed over 10 years ago. Nothing has happened since.

I'd like to see a split of strategic versus sustaining spend in Cork over the past 10 years, I can't recall any projects of note.

It is beyond ridiculous that cork people are on here with the poor us line, plenty of job announcements and investment there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Bards

Massive over spec airport terminal in Cork too

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭azimuth17

The notion that Cork has suffered from underinvestment by the government is farcical. Anything necessary there is simply delayed and will ultimately and certainly be delivered. To suggest otherwise is funny. I nearly had to retire to bed and take a sedative. I don't begrudge Cork or anywhere else a cent of investment, but Waterford has had to fight for every iota of state investment over the years with never any certainty of delivery, or often with no delivery at all. Most people here would just like a little bit of equality in distribution of state spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭gw80

On a similar note, i see there is talk of down grading the waterford garda station and amalgomating with kilkenny and wexford i think, and have the HQ in kilkenny, leaving waterford as the only city in ireland without a dedicated garda station.
    And i suspect if it is at the stage of people talking about it on the radio and the likes its already a done deal,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

gw80 wrote: »
    On a similar note, i see there is talk of down grading the waterford garda station and amalgomating with kilkenny and wexford i think, and have the HQ in kilkenny, leaving waterford as the only city in ireland without a dedicated garda station.
    And i suspect if it is at the stage of people talking about it on the radio and the likes its already a done deal,

That would be absolute madness if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Bards

I really want Waterford to leave this rotten state and seek Independence

Bards wrote: »
    I really want Waterford to leave this rotten state and seek Independence

Might still be plenty of West Brits still around the city who might lobby for re entry to the commonwealth :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Haven't they recently opened a big new swanky cop shop in Wexford? Maybe that's where they plan to case the HQ?

Azatadine wrote: »
    Haven't they recently opened a big new swanky cop shop in Wexford? Maybe that's where they plan to case the HQ?

No i dont think so. Maybe you are thinking of the courthouse which was recently refurbished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I thought they only opened it a few months ago? Moved location and everything up to close to Tesco? The old station is definitely closed now anyway. I passed by there a month ago and its boarded up/no entry.

Edit: yes, opened in Aug last year.

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=ms-android-samsung&source=android-browser&q=garda+station+wexford#imgrc=CgTdzciypxW5bM:

Advertisement