Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime (with 2-day priority shipping) now available in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Last time I was a subscriber I tried the video but it was only the Amazon Originals, so not much.

I know Twitch Prime is the same as in the UK.

But does anybody know what's available for the Music and Books as part of the prime subscription for us Irish customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

So without reading this whole thread :D, prime gets you free delivery on everything, a gutted version of prime TV, a random collection 1k books to read on kindle, 1 free kindle book to 'loan' per month and Amazon promise not to throttle your delivery times?

So unless you love kindle and Jeremy Clarkson it's only worth it if you spend more than £79 a year on deliveries right?

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So without reading this whole thread :D, prime gets you free delivery on everything, a gutted version of prime TV, a random collection 1k books to read on kindle, 1 free kindle book to 'loan' per month and Amazon promise not to throttle your delivery times?

So unless you love kindle and Jeremy Clarkson it's only worth it if you spend more than £79 a year on deliveries right?

It’s not about saving money on deliveries, it’s if you like getting your stuff quickly and you order from amazon on a semi regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Is there anyway to work around the video restriction on Apple TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

awec wrote:
    It’s not about saving money on deliveries, it’s if you like getting your stuff quickly and you order from amazon on a semi regular basis.

Ah okay then, I order something roughly once or twice a month, never really care when it arrives and delivery is usually free anyway so this seems like a pretty bad deal for me anyway! Plus I think even the full UK prime TV is worse than Netflix so a gutted one I'd probably never use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Hi, Also be aware that whilst paying for Prime Uk will get this for ROI now, it doesnt allow Prime Video in ROI.  That you still have to pay an extra fee for on Primevideo.com

• Registered Users Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

redman wrote: »
    Hi, Also be aware that whilst paying for Prime Uk will get this for ROI now, it doesnt allow Prime Video in ROI.  That you still have to pay an extra fee for on Primevideo.com

im confused, is the correct way to get prime to sign up on amazon.co.uk? or elsewhere?

i see the issue with primevideo on my appletv but it works perfectly on my iphone :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

redman wrote: »
    Hi, Also be aware that whilst paying for Prime Uk will get this for ROI now, it doesnt allow Prime Video in ROI. That you still have to pay an extra fee for on Primevideo.com

It get's me prime video with my Prime membership

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Cyrus wrote: »
    Is there anyway to work around the video restriction on Apple TV?
    SmartDNS service like Getflix (there's thread here on Bargains... I got a lifetime subscription for €40)

I have an old AppleTV 3 that I use only for Amazon Prime UK... SmartDNS is always set (not like VPN that you have to run on and off) so it's very easy: turn on apple TV, launch Amazon Prime, get access to a pretty decent collection (imo) of TV series and stuff for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

When I am searching on amazon, if I click the prime filter on the sidebar will this show all the items that are eligible for 2 day delivery to Ireland or are there exceptions?

Are the items delivered to my house by an post postman?

• Advertisement

timple23 wrote: »
    When I am searching on amazon, if I click the prime filter on the sidebar will this show all the items that are eligible for 2 day delivery to Ireland or are there exceptions?

Are the items delivered to my house by an post postman?

Yes. It seems that all deliveries are with An Post. I got two 9volt batteries delivered yesterday & they came with the regular postman.

It has to be An Post. There isn't another company in Ireland willing to deliver small items as cheap as An Post. Some companies do it in Dublin but they can't deliver to country address (possibly a mile up someones driveway) as cheap as An Post

My two 9Volt batteries cost 7.43 euro with free delivery. Had them in less than 48 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

As always with Amazon, this is a complicated mess. Sure, with a little bit of studying, you'll figure it out, but why have they made it so unfriendly?

Like the whole Prime Video debacle - people are still going to Prime Video UK and (naturally) giving out over the lack of content available in Ireland, when they should be going to primevideo.com instead. None of it is clear. Anyway, guess that's what Boards is for...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Strange one. Made an order, had option for free priority (prime), so went with it. Why not sure? No mention of this causing me to sign up to prime or anything like that. Order has gone through.

Checked the Your Prime section and it is still telling me that I need to sign up. So I'm not sure what's going on. I do have Prime Video, have had this for ages, €2.99 per month. I wonder if that has rolled over to regular prime now, and my next monthly payment will be higher?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

dulpit wrote: »
    Strange one. Made an order, had option for free priority (prime), so went with it. Why not sure? No mention of this causing me to sign up to prime or anything like that. Order has gone through.

Checked the Your Prime section and it is still telling me that I need to sign up. So I'm not sure what's going on. I do have Prime Video, have had this for ages, €2.99 per month. I wonder if that has rolled over to regular prime now, and my next monthly payment will be higher?

I thing this is not the first, not the last, glitch on amazon site.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

grogi wrote: »
    I thing this is not the first, not the last, glitch on amazon site.

It's a bit of a heap of late - they really need to update their site to allow for non-UK residents - that seems to be the biggest confusion the site has.

dulpit wrote: »
    It's a bit of a heap of late - they really need to update their site to allow for non-UK residents - that seems to be the biggest confusion the site has.

When it comes to retail, nobody outside UK really cares about that small island west from Britain. Ireland?! They are part of UK market. Jobs done... We simply are to small to care more that adding us as a sub-page on UK page.

But then half of the things don't work properly - cause we are not really UK. When I pay for stuff in Gap online, I actually get charged in pounds...

Luckily The Royal Mail and An Post are understanding - I recently got some freebies from TP-Link sent to Cork with domestic mail from Swansea. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Not a great first experience so far supposed to have 2 packages here today, one with An Post and one UPS as part of 2 day delivery, now showing up as delayed till next Monday-Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Update: emailed amazon politely outlining my disappointment with paying for a service I hadn't received. Extended my prime membership a month. Hopefully they iron some of the bugs out of the new service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Something I just noticed. Signed up for the free Prime trial and went to buy an item fulfilled by Amazon/Prime. I'm using my Revolut card which they might detect as being in £.

Even though I'm shipping to an ROI address, the VAT is not being changed. So the item is £18.95 on the page and £18.95 in my cart, ready to click. Delivery on Tuesday. I was pretty sure all items shipping to ROI had VAT adjusted. Maybe it's a glitch.

Edit - I've added 10 items now and 3 it's adjusting for VAT, the rest it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

SachaJ wrote: »
    Something I just noticed. Signed up for the free Prime trial and went to buy an item fulfilled by Amazon/Prime. I'm using my Revolut card which they might detect as being in £.

Even though I'm shipping to an ROI address, the VAT is not being changed. So the item is £18.95 on the page and £18.95 in my cart, ready to click. Delivery on Tuesday. I was pretty sure all items shipping to ROI had VAT adjusted. Maybe it's a glitch.

Is it something that is vat exempt E.g. Books?

• Advertisement

SachaJ wrote:

I'm surprised that it's showing vat at. The only time I see vat is if I use my vat business amazon account

SachaJ wrote: »

Items sold by Amazon will have VAT recalculated. Only fullfilled by Amazon won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

dollylama wrote: »
    Interesting snippet this... pity it got caught in the faux outrage that followed

Are Amazon possibly trialling ground delivery in Ireland? They do it in the UK already and they do it big time in the US... "gig" drivers in vans and cars delivering items from distribution centres or designated drop points. It's similar to how the shïtty UK courier Hermes operate and Nightline do it here on a small scale if I'm not mistaken.

Whatever about Amazon taking over the retail landscape, eating the bricks and mortars, etc... I think their moves into the delivery segment will be just as disruptive. The postal operators and couriers who are flying high on the back of Amazon's sheer volume at present could in time be blaming Amazon for driving them out of the market

I get really annoyed any time 8 see the Hermes name. ****ing eBay global delivery programme..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Just logged on to primevideo.com for the first time today and got asked if I wanted to change my home location which I did and changed it to Ireland. Does anyone know if there's a way to change it back to the UK?

correction wrote:
    Just logged on to primevideo.com for the first time today and got asked if I wanted to change my home location which I did and changed it to Ireland. Does anyone know if there's a way to change it back to the UK?

If you registered with a UK address all you need to do is Get on to customer service. Explain that you made a mistake. You'll get a ticket & they will fix this within a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Sneachta

Shaner125 wrote: »
    Just wanted to follow up on what people were saying in the thread previously, it's very easy for anybody to avail of the student prime deal, giving 6 months free prime then £39/yr after. You just need to purchase a cheap online course (I got an introductory microsoft office course for £4 with e-careers off a coupon website). Register with the online course, then sign up for an NUS extra card using PM address as home address, you can select how long your course is, I chose 3 years haha, you can take a quick snap with your phone for the photograph. Once your NUS card arrives you can go to the section on amazon for student prime without a .gov address and send them a photo of your NUS card and course acceptance email. They activated my prime 5 minutes later.
    Shane,
    Did you have to pay for the NUS card?
    Does it contain a photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Signed up to this as I would order a lot of stuff off Amazon, and was using prime free trials + PM up until now.

Go to order screen protectors for my phone and almost every single one wont ship to Ireland...same with cases etc.
    I can understand battery packs but a bloody screen protector??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Signed up to this as I would order a lot of stuff off Amazon, and was using prime free trials + PM up until now.

Go to order screen protectors for my phone and almost every single one wont ship to Ireland...same with cases etc.
    I can understand battery packs but a bloody screen protector??
    Did you try amazon.fr or amazon.de ? A lot of stuff I find that doesn't ship from the UK will work on the other sites, worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Can't remember if it was mentioned in the thread, but you can extend Prime delivery benefits to your household. My OH added their account details to my account, and now they can benefit from Prime delivery off one subscription.

• Advertisement

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Did you try amazon.fr or amazon.de ? A lot of stuff I find that doesn't ship from the UK will work on the other sites, worth a try.

But then they are not shipped for free.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement