Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime (with 2-day priority shipping) now available in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Asus X540L wrote: »
    How did they sort it out?
    I was just onto chat and he couldn't really help me. Just told me try and plug it out then back in again lol

effe.png

You won't get any help off that support, you need to ring them.

I also had that location issue. My problem was my account location was somehow set to USA so I had to log onto that and then change a setting. Phonecall is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

How did they sort it out?
    I was just onto chat and he couldn't really help me. Just told me try and plug it out then back in again lol

effe.png

Looks like AI chat to me. A lot of people don't realise they're not actually talking to a person on a lot of these chat windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Wheety wrote: »
    Looks like AI chat to me. A lot of people don't realise they're not actually talking to a person on a lot of these chat windows.

More likely it's copy/paste of standard responses.

Source: used to work for Amazon CS Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I wasn't happy with responses from text chat before so asked for a supervisor. The supervisor then personally looked after my situation and emailed me when my package was delivered, giving me a gift card as compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

That will hit PM/PW badly!

Am I missing something? Being a Prime member won't change which items are delivered to Ireland.
    Are you able to order spirits through Amazon Pantry? It might be a cheap way of grabbing a few bottles if they deliver to Ireland.

Again, like above I don't think joining Prime changes what items will be delivered to Ireland.
    alan4cult wrote: »
    Not to speculate, but have Amazon been slowing free delivery dispatch in order to encourage people to pay for Prime?

Yes their standard free service has slowed down. On average my orders take 2-3 days longer than they used to. The initial phase where the order doesn't have a dispatch date is what slowed down. On the plus side, this is the window where you can change or cancel the order which is almost non-existent when you have Prime.
    Mikenesson wrote: »
    How does PM work out with Amazon splitting deliveries?

When you have Prime be prepared to pay more PM/PW fees. Amazon will split your orders much more readily.

• Advertisement

Am I missing something? Being a Prime member won't change which items are delivered to Ireland.

You missed the many posts discussing that very thing. :)

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Again, like above I don't think joining Prime changes what items will be delivered to Ireland.

Yes their standard free service has slowed down. On average my orders take 2-3 days longer than they used to. The initial phase where the order doesn't have a dispatch date is what slowed down. On the plus side, this is the window where you can change or cancel the order which is almost non-existent when you have Prime.

When you have Prime be prepared to pay more PM/PW fees. Amazon will split your orders much more readily.
    No, but it no longer means having to risk waiting for ages for delivery.

The biggest reason I used PM was Prime + PM = guaranteed next day delivery in Ireland. If I ordered something from amazon right now I'd have it tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Have people gotten booze through from Amazon with parcel motel?

It'll be stopped with PM, try Parcel Wizard I've used it a few times with success.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I got a bottle of Whiskey through Parcel Motel no problem.

Alcohol is a prohibited item via parcel motel, if your package is obviously alcohol they won't deliver it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Besides the delivery what value do they other components have?
    Minimal to be honest.

Video is pretty poor in Ireland. Music isn't available. Never tried the Reading properly, but I've looked in the past and saw nothing really interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Ordered a few bits today and decided I'd sign up to try it out. Only one of the 4 items (all marked as prime all dispatched by amazon) was available for fast delivery. If that's symbolic of the situation as a whole I dunno if I'd be bothered extending it next month...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

awec wrote: »
    Alcohol is a prohibited item via parcel motel, if your package is obviously alcohol they won't deliver it.

I bought it off Amazon, it came in an Amazon box so they wouldnt have known.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,828 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

sugarman wrote: »
    I dont know how the likes of Dunnes Stores can get away without even having an online groceries store in 2018!

been wondering for years why on earth not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Just ordered blade runner 2049 on blu ray for about seven sterling and it'll be here by Wednesday apparently

We'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Just ordered blade runner 2049 on blu ray for about seven sterling and it'll be here by Wednesday apparently

We'll see

My order is in Dunfermiline - Scotland, due to be with me in the morning, ordered last night.

Anker wireless fast charger, @ 15.99stg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

This looks to get even better..
    Tesco and Carrefour teaming up to compete against amazon etc.

If this also applies to Ireland, and Carrefour bring some of the offers it has in Europe with it.. Cool :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Doesn't the video have 1400 titles?

https://www.finder.com/ie/amazon-prime-tv-shows

Yeah but unfortunately about 1300 of those are pure dross, the UK also has vast amounts of dross too but also a much larger number of decent and newer titles. Change IE to UK in the below link to compare the two libraries.

https://www.justwatch.com/ie/provider/amazon-prime-video?content_type=movie

With no one day delivery and without Music and the diminished Prime Video the Irish price should really have been a fair bit less than the UK price. The fact it isn't says a lot

• Advertisement

Yea as said above, the overwhelming majority of stuff on Prime Video is garbage, especially the stuff available in Ireland.

discounting the large amount of items that don't deliver to Ireland at all meaning you'd have to use a redirection service (parcel motel, parcel wizard etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Couple of items I tried to order which are Prime eligible and fulfilled by Amazon coming up as 'unable to ship to your address' - not lithium batteries or stuff you'd expect - just vitamins..
    Hope they sort it out..

Edit: Per Customer Service:
    "I've checked and could see that as per the International Delivery Restrictions, 'Medicines and pharmaceuticals' items can be delivered to addresses within the UK only, hence this could be the reason you're unable to place the order to the desired location. I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused in this regard."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Couple of items I tried to order which are Prime eligible and fulfilled by Amazon coming up as 'unable to ship to your address' - not lithium batteries or stuff you'd expect - just vitamins..
    Hope they sort it out..

Edit: Per Customer Service:
    "I've checked and could see that as per the International Delivery Restrictions, 'Medicines and pharmaceuticals' items can be delivered to addresses within the UK only, hence this could be the reason you're unable to place the order to the desired location. I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused in this regard."

I've found the same, they will send vitamins to PW or PM though in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I've found the same, they will send vitamins to PW or PM though in the North.

Yes and it's up to you than to ensure that when PW/PM are importing them on you behalf that you comply with the relevant law and restrictions.

Amazon just delivered it within the UK and now you are importing it yourself so you have to ensure that you are staying within the restrictions and appropiate reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Suckit wrote: »
    This looks to get even better..
    Tesco and Carrefour teaming up to compete against amazon etc.

If this also applies to Ireland, and Carrefour bring some of the offers it has in Europe with it.. Cool :D

They are joining forces to get better pricing on private label goods and "not for sale" goods (trolleys, tills, etc)
    Carrefour is not opening locations in UK and Ireland

The real question here is when will Amazon open an Irish warehouse? They have 16 warehouses in the UK to service a population of ~66 million (plus outlying territories like Ireland). That's one warehouse for every 4.125 million people. We're about 5 million in population and growing, so it's got to be an attractive proposition for them.

Brexit aside, fulfilling NI orders would make more sense from a Warehouse somewhere North of Dublin/Galway. They already have a significant infrastructure in Ireland for software dev/cloud/customer service. They currently can't sell alcohol and other items into Ireland. It would be a blow for retailers, and the net employment would not offset the jobs lost in retail, but I'm not sure much would be lost to the exchequer as most high street/mall outlets currently operate with tax bases offshore anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

This is great because I'd rather wait the extra few hours and save the PM fee, still have that option if I need something quicker but typically PM stuff doesn't hit my locker until 11pm so it's often the next day before I get to it anyway.

That said, when I select my AP/PM addresses I can get free 1 day with my prime account, any of my Irish addresses I use just offer free standard delivery (estimated arrival 7th July if I order today). Can someone screenshot the delivery options they're getting for their Irish address?

The real question here is when will Amazon open an Irish warehouse? They have 16 warehouses in the UK to service a population of ~66 million (plus outlying territories like Ireland). That's one warehouse for every 4.125 million people. We're about 5 million in population and growing, so it's got to be an attractive proposition for them.

I don't see that as being a good enough reason as to why they may open a warehouse in the future here as there are so many countries, even just in Europe, that have a much larger population but no warehouse.

I do agree with your second point though. However, although you preferred to not discuss it, Brexit probably means it would not be feasible/cheaper to ship NI orders from the republic in the future, but who knows what the final deal will be. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Ordered Lots of stuff at 9 PM on Sunday Night , Arrived via An Post at 8.15 this morning !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement