Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jurassic Werewolf - July game sign up - starting 29.07.2018

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Pter wrote: »
    The intention behind the idea wasn't to stop that happening. It will or it won't happen. You will just get the reveals before lynch if we close the entire night.

Its more to keep posting to a slower pace so there aren't pages and pages to catch up on in the am. I think it might help with people who find 3000+ posts in 4/5 days too much to keep track of.

I think it also might encourage more thought out plays and posts, but I don't see the harm in that.

I find that most posts are done during the daytime, when i am at work, i get home from work and spend hours catching up on all the tons of posts people write during the workday. if you could slow the pace of those posts it would of benefit to me.

normally between 9pm and 9am there are less that 50 posts, there can be upwards of 950 posts during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

sKeith wrote: »
    I find that most posts are done during the daytime, when i am at work, i get home from work and spend hours catching up on all the tons of posts people write during the workday. if you could slow the pace of those posts it would of benefit to me.

normally between 9pm and 9am there are less that 50 posts, there can be upwards of 950 posts during the day.

Thats a fair point.

The intention behind the idea wasn't to stop that happening. It will or it won't happen. You will just get the reveals before lynch if we close the entire night.

Its more to keep posting to a slower pace so there aren't pages and pages to catch up on in the am. I think it might help with people who find 3000+ posts in 4/5 days too much to keep track of.

I think it also might encourage more thought out plays and posts, but I don't see the harm in that.

Regarding just the bolded.
    Perfectly fine, reveal whenever you want, but the 9:59:59 is done with the full intent that they are doing is so close to 10:00:00 as to make sure the wolves are unable to change their kill. Night is the domain of the wolves and you are adding info to the game, with the knowledge that you are doing it in such a way, that it will almost be impossible for the wolves to act on that knowledge during their turn.

If you reveal right before the lynch, then the wolves see your reveal and during the night contemplate killing the revealer or doing whatever about the info that the role revealed.

9:59:59 reveal before munch robs the wolves of being able to react to that reveal.

Try to think of how the 9:59:59 reveal would play out if we were all playing the live action game.

Regarding just the bolded.
    Perfectly fine, reveal whenever you want, but the 9:59:59 is done with the full intent that they are doing is so close to 10:00:00 as to make sure the wolves are unable to change their kill. Night is the domain of the wolves and you are adding info to the game, with the knowledge that you are doing it in such a way, that it will almost be impossible for the wolves to act on that knowledge during their turn.

If you reveal right before the lynch, then the wolves see your reveal and during the night contemplate killing the revealer or doing whatever about the info that the role revealed.

9:59:59 reveal before munch robs the wolves of being able to react to that reveal.

Try to think of how the 9:59:59 reveal would play out if we were all playing the live action game.

That would be some craic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Sign me up!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Also, if you are going to close thread for night, close it for the whole night. don't open it 1 hour before munch. It will remove the whole "i'll post at 9:59" thing. that is so against the spirit of the game, its nuts! Its done, because our format allows it to happen, closing nights or closing an hour before munch will put a stop to it. opening an hour before munch just encourages it :(

I have to say thats a very good point.

One why you could get around this would be to close the thread an hour before munch.

Im with SK if your going to close it close it untill after the munch,

It also only something that could only work with one of the forum mods running a game?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Im with SK if your going to close it close it untill after the munch,

It also only something that could only work with one of the forum mods running a game?

Yeah, unless you badger and bully sully or Pter into being online after each lynch and prior to each munch it might be difficult alright...

Pter/sully, about August...:pac::pac:

(Joking, probably)

Or, you know, we could all be adults and not post when we aren't supposed to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Or, you know, we could all be adults and not post when we aren't supposed to :D

Act like adults?

Adulting?

Wolf.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭tritium

Another point for discussion that we intend to do during this game (but welcome feedback either way).

We will be closing the thread after lynch and re-opening it an hour before munch.

Thoughts?

Love the idea. It’s one thing that works well over on MU.

May be more difficult for poster like bounty hunter though

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

tritium wrote: »

That and the automated modbot... but something tells me we ain't getting that here anytime soon :pac:

I don't. Stops night time shenanigans.

What was wrong with the night time fun?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

fixxxer wrote:

Nothing, we're just tossing round ideas to alter the pace of the game, making it easier to follow

fixxxer wrote: »

Mods are just afraid of me rampaging around the thread until 5am :pac:

obkyfORo8Gc5.gif

Heres another mechanic you could try which would lighten the amount of posts, which seems to be the intention of the introduction of this weird mostly closed nights rule being floated. Note, it is not closed nights if you open it an hour before munch, that defeats purpose of the closed night for any other purpose than to quell posting from the member who are not able to post as much during daytime.

Posting Requirement: 5 posts minimum, 30 maximum. 30 post restriction lifted 1 hr before End Of Day.

If our intent was to quell individual people we wouldn't have put it out there looking for feedback.

We are allowed to moot ideas sk. It's not a personal attack.

If our intent was to quell individual people we wouldn't have put it out there looking for feedback.

We are allowed to moot ideas sk. It's not a personal attack.

welcome that its it put out there to be hashed out before attampting to enforce such a thing.

no personal attacks percieved or implied, just mulling the idea around to figure out how it works better for a game.

read back necros reply, #120, that is where the idea comes that it is to quell posting.

opeing back up an hour before munch also lends to that idea, as any mechanical reason for having closed nights is lost as its reopened up before night is over.

Necrominus wrote: »
    Mods are just afraid of me rampaging around the thread until 5am :pac:

obkyfORo8Gc5.gif

I'll get drunk and wave a gun

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Yay people think about me :P:pac:

Actually in an odd way that'd probably help me more than most. If it is as suggested
    We will be closing the thread after lynch and re-opening it an hour before munch.

Lynch is usually at around 5am my time (9pm yours) and Munch is at close to 6pm my time (10am yours). If nobody is posting during these times it'd be way easier for me to catch up and my absence would probably be way less obvious too in comparison to others in an anon game

Still though im happy either way.

The game will be anon folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭tritium

The game will be anon folks.

Yay, I really prefer anon (suspect I’m in a minority in a general sense)

Loving some of the ideas being floated in this thread btw. Lot of credit due to folks in our community for their willingness to try innovative ideas, it’s given us some awesome games.

The only other way you could do it (close the thread) and avoid giving the wolves an advantage would be to have them lock in their munch before the thread reopens (at 8am, an hour before munch). I think that would eliminate the issue you brought up around wolves being able to capitalise on reveals before lynch, SK?

Still taking your feedback regarding people who like to post during the night on board, so we havent made a call on this 100% either way yet.

Appreciate that feedback Trit - really liked your secret sign up idea myself! Too late for this game, but if it hasnt been done before my next game, maybe my fellow co-mods would be up for giving it a shot!

There are some other new stuff we are introducing in the game btw, but we are keeping that secret until the game starts. So rest assured there will be cool new things to experience in this game, even though we arent doing the mixed anon/non-anon and may or may not do the thread locking at night.

Yay, I really prefer anon (suspect I’m in a minority in a general sense)

Loving some of the ideas being floated in this thread btw. Lot of credit due to folks in our community for their willingness to try innovative ideas, it’s given us some awesome games.

I also like anon, but enjoy the odd normal account game too just for old times sake.

I think more folks are coming around to anon a bit more recently, it's a way to change your playstyle from game to game without being questioned for it.

Not that I ever do, mind :D But that's also a thing too. I don't mind being recognised in anon games myself tbh.

I'm saying this as a n00b obviously, but if you cut down the chatter, do you not end up with a more aimless first couple of days?

fixxxer wrote: »
    I'm saying this as a n00b obviously, but if you cut down the chatter, do you not end up with a more aimless first couple of days?

You have played a few games now; i wouldnt be calling you a newb tbf.

First couple of days in our game are deffo not gonna be aimless.

You have played a few games now; i wouldnt be calling you a newb tbf.

First couple of days in our game are deffo not gonna be aimless.

giphy.gif

The only other way you could do it (close the thread) and avoid giving the wolves an advantage would be to have them lock in their munch before the thread reopens (at 8am, an hour before munch). I think that would eliminate the issue you brought up around wolves being able to capitalise on reveals before lynch, SK?

Still taking your feedback regarding people who like to post during the night on board, so we havent made a call on this 100% either way yet.

Appreciate that feedback Trit - really liked your secret sign up idea myself! Too late for this game, but if it hasnt been done before my next game, maybe my fellow co-mods would be up for giving it a shot!

There are some other new stuff we are introducing in the game btw, but we are keeping that secret until the game starts. So rest assured there will be cool new things to experience in this game, even though we arent doing the mixed anon/non-anon and may or may not do the thread locking at night.

Re: locking in munch target an hour early and then opening thread,

That just expands the 9:59:59 window from a couple of seconds to an hour. People know that the wolves target is locked in so have a full hour to reveal with immunity from having wolves change onto them. That imho is worse.

Just munch the target before reopening thread.

• Advertisement

Ok then. Wolves have up to a publicly unannounced time to choose their target. Thread opens at 9. Munch at 10. Wolves know when they have to pick their target by; noone else does.

Advertisement