Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Height means success, nothing else matters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Where did you get it and can I have some of it?

Whatever it is you're smoking that is

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Would you be a binman?
    If my financial circumstances allowed it, I would definitely consider it. Any low-intensity, low-stress work is very appealing, especially if it's outside.

Doing 12 hours a day between working and commuting and barely seeing your family is for mugs. The guys who have a simple job that gets them sitting at the table for dinner by 5pm, have the right idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,240 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

shakeitoff wrote: »
    LMAO Danny Devito, Tom Cruise and Rory Mclroy, true inspirations for any short guy. One is literally a comedic act who is cast as repulsive and unattractive in literally every role he portrays, the second one is famous in spite of his height, he has top echelon looks and charisma, Mclroy can reject Wozniaki because he is worth 80 million. I personally find her attractive but she's not that hot, facially they're about the same, she's slightly more attractive. maybe.

Are they very successful in thier chosen fields?
    Bringing in other variables does not take away that each of them is less then average height.

Which was the main point I was making.

How do explain Michael J Fox (who you left out of the list) ?

There is one point I do agree with you on is that Charisma has a lot to with it.

Noel Gallagher and Prince?

They did not start of rich and with millions of fans they were a success in thier careers despite being less then average height.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

seamus wrote: »
    If my financial circumstances allowed it, I would definitely consider it. Any low-intensity, low-stress work is very appealing, especially if it's outside.

Doing 12 hours a day between working and commuting and barely seeing your family is for mugs. The guys who have a simple job that gets them sitting at the table for dinner by 5pm, have the right idea.

That's the long and the short of it alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Look I have to do it.

Everytime I see this thread pop to the top of the newly edited list, this bollix of a song comes into me head

• Advertisement

Look I have to do it.

Everytime I see this thread pop to the top of the newly edited list, this bollix of a song comes into me head

James Hetfield is 6'1 by the way....

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0381723/bio

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Jeff Bezos is 171cm.

Napoléon was 169cm.

Stalin was 165cm.

So yeah, bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Is there a ceiling? How tall is too tall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Mrhuth wrote: »
    One of the Dublin City centre offices for a major company. They have executive management meetings with many different companies often so I see them all the time. They are all towering over me like I am some child. I just don't buy it that it just so happens that they are more intelligent than everyone else and just happen to be taller not the fact that it's their height that puts them in this position. Honestly, I feel inferior and I feel like I'll never be able to achieve such success because I am too short.

Get yourself some Bono shoes. Nice clicky little heels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Men are usually taller than women.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Mrhuth

troyzer wrote: »
    Jeff Bezos is 171cm.

Napoléon was 169cm.

Stalin was 165cm.

So yeah, bollocks.

Napoleon was average at the time
    And Soviets always had manlets for some reason it's an exception. Lenin, putin and Stalin all manlets.
    Look at USA presidents and UK prime ministers, USA leaders are better comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Napoleon was average at the time
    And Soviets always had manlets for some reason it's an exception. Lenin, putin and Stalin all manlets.
    Look at USA presidents and UK prime ministers, USA leaders are better comparison.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think it means if theres 5 people going for a job the person who
    is taller has a better chance at being selected .`
    You still need a degree to work at google and have certain qualifications in programming.
    Look at daytime tv presenters or newsreaders on tv .
    They tend to dress a certain way and they look attractive.
    All the female presenters on tg4 are young ,dress very well and are slim.
    Most male film stars are handsome ,slim and fit .they have to spend alot of time in the gym if the want to get the leading role in an action or superhero movie.
    IF you want to be a ceo of a startup and are very clever and know the right people being 5ft 3 wont effect your career much.
    Coming from a rich family and going to the right college helps when you need to get funding for your new company.
    IF you are an idiot or lazy being tall in it self won,t get you a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I'm 6'4" and covered in **** under a pure pig of a car outside, so I'd say brains and ability to... "manoeuvre", shall we say, are what it takes to succeed in this world. If yer a moron like me then take that covering of **** on the chin and quit whining :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭con___manx1

My boss is a ruthless person that walked all over people to get to the top. She is about 25 stone and 5ft tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

Wow, this thread really surprised me. I thought this was just accepted at this stage, I didn't realise that anyone really doubted it.

I was amazed to see so many people add to this discussion with "hold on, I can point to lots of short people who were successful, therefore it must mean that height bears no significant relation to professional success. That's like saying you don't think Irish summers are mild, because you can point to a heap of days just this year that were scorching! Well there are a million comparisons you can make to this type of logic. But basically, it's a fundamental misunderstanding of statistics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

Height can command authority, I see it in my job all the time. I'm 5 ft 1 and used to work in a team with two 6 ft 3er men. I'd call a meeting with one of my clients, bring them along and wouldn't get a look-in. All conversation, questions and eye contact was directed at them.

It became so problematic that I started deploying techniques to change the tune at meetings I'd have with them. Would stay standing for the duration of the meeting, walk around the room, interject when questions that should be coming to me were directed at them instead.

I also find being direct and firm to the point of being a raging b1tch can even things out too. You don't win any friends, but people will know who holds the court and will look for your approval a lot more.

In dating, yes I want to feel petite and I like that whole 'protector' vibe. It's nice to be picked up and thrown around too :pac: Too tall at my height though can just be impractical and almost comical. Someone above 6 foot is probably too tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Someone tell Mike Bloomberg he should give up.

My boss is a ruthless person that walked all over people to get to the top. She is about 25 stone and 5ft tall.

I'm just under 5ft and less than 7 stone.

If I was more than 18 stone heavier I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be walking anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Candie wrote: »
    I'm just under 5ft and less than 7 stone.

If I was more than 18 stone heavier I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be walking anywhere.

You would be amazed, or maybe horrified at just what levels of abuse the human body will take - and still walk - before finally popping a cog.
    Personally I think once you reach the point where you need to wrap a rag around a stick to try and clean yourself in the shower after destroying the bog with the gamey mush of last night's seven large curry chip 'n cheeses, it should be an automatic cardiac arrest tbh :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I read the study and it's interesting but I'd have to see the raw data before commenting further.

A friend of mine is conducting a similar study for his PhD. He's linked this to gender discrimination stating that women are often missing from the CEO positions partly because of height discrimination as they tend to be shorter than males.

I've not noticed this in STEM fields both industry and academia I have to say. Perhaps seeing tall people as somehow more capable is in areas like business and law ect. In other words jobs with more emphasis on the person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

blue note wrote: »
    Wow, this thread really surprised me. I thought this was just accepted at this stage, I didn't realise that anyone really doubted it.

I was amazed to see so many people add to this discussion with "hold on, I can point to lots of short people who were successful, therefore it must mean that height bears no significant relation to professional success. That's like saying you don't think Irish summers are mild, because you can point to a heap of days just this year that were scorching! Well there are a million comparisons you can make to this type of logic. But basically, it's a fundamental misunderstanding of statistics.

The op said “nothing else matters” which is clearly bollocks.

Indeed it's BS. Clearly a lot of things matter. There's many factors to consider. On the negative side of being tall there's the fact that taller people are at increased risk of six types of cancer. https://www.wcrf.org/int/blog/articles/2017/06/link-between-height-and-cancer-risk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Height also correlates with intelligence.

764dak wrote: »

Meaning that women are also less smarter than men on average? I don't believe that sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Debtocracy

What's always missing from these discussions is the effect size. So height correlates about .10 - .20 with intelligence, meaning height explains 1-4% of the variation in intelligence, with 96-99% left to explain. So if a short and tall guy walked in the door and I had to guess who was smarter, height would be practically useless in helping me predict this. But if there's a significant correlation it makes the headlines as if it was a scientific breakthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

steddyeddy wrote: »

Meaning that women are also less smarter than men on average? I don't believe that sorry.
    You have to adjust for gender.  But tall women would be smarter than short women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I would never call the person I report to my "boss". There is something deferential about that word. He/She is just another pleb in our multinational doing a different role to me. I might call him/her my manager but never "boss". I manage people too and I would be very uncomfortable if they ever called me "boss".

You have to adjust for gender.  But tall women would be smarter than short women.

Gender differences in intelligence? Do go on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

There is a reason why 90% of people in higher management positions are way above average height. The taller you are, the higher your position. Nothing else matters.

Agreed, the whole endeavor is pointless and don't dare think otherwise.

Advertisement