Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Height means success, nothing else matters

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

Metroangle wrote: »
    Men are on average more intelligent than women, not by much, but it's significant, the variance of men's intelligence is also wider.

Interestingly, when you take out the height factor, women become more intelligent than men, not by much, but it's significant. The average 5'10 woman for example, is more intelligent than the average 5'10 man, but the average man is more intelligent than the average woman.

There also seems to be racial difference in intelligence if I remember correctly, with East Asians being more intelligent than caucasians on average for example.

B*tches be trippin'

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Metroangle wrote: »
    Men are on average more intelligent than women, not by much, but it's significant, the variance of men's intelligence is also wider.

Interestingly, when you take out the height factor, women become more intelligent than men, not by much, but it's significant. The average 5'10 woman for example, is more intelligent than the average 5'10 man, but the average man is more intelligent than the average woman.

There also seems to be racial difference in intelligence if I remember correctly, with East Asians being more intelligent than caucasians on average for example.

Well lets analyse before we accept.

Is the only determinant of the outcome of an IQ test the person being tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

I'll never be in a managerial position and it's not my height (5' 7") that's holding me back. It's more to do with the fact that I'm as thick as a whale omelette.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Someone check the sewers, there's an incel leak somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

steddyeddy wrote: »
    764dak wrote: »
    You have to adjust for gender.  But tall women would be smarter than short women.

Gender differences in intelligence? Do go on.
    You have to adjust for gender because people like Metroangle will compare a 5'10" woman to a 5'10" man.  You should compare a woman in the x percentile of female height to a man in the same percentile of male height.  Men and women have similar intelligence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

You have to adjust for gender.  But tall women would be smarter than short women.
    You have to adjust for gender because people like Metroangle will compare a 5'10" woman to a 5'10" man.  You should compare a woman in the x percentile of female height to a man in the same percentile of male height.  Men and women have similar intelligence.

Ya the myth of the beanpole people - is it the rarefied air that makes peoples brains bigger the further they are from the ground? I've never read such bs ever ... :pac:

blue note wrote: »
    Wow, this thread really surprised me. I thought this was just accepted at this stage, I didn't realise that anyone really doubted it.

I was amazed to see so many people add to this discussion with "hold on, I can point to lots of short people who were successful, therefore it must mean that height bears no significant relation to professional success. That's like saying you don't think Irish summers are mild, because you can point to a heap of days just this year that were scorching! Well there are a million comparisons you can make to this type of logic. But basically, it's a fundamental misunderstanding of statistics.

The reverse is not necessarily true either. There are lies damn lies and statistics.
    In statistics, many statistical tests calculate correlations between variables and when two variables are found to be correlated, it is tempting to assume that this shows that one variable causes the other. That "correlation proves causation," is considered a questionable cause logical fallacy when two events occurring together are taken to have established a cause-and-effect relationship. This fallacy is also known as cum hoc ergo propter hoc, Latin for "with this, therefore because of this," and "false cause." A similar fallacy, that an event that followed another was necessarily a consequence of the first event, is the post hoc ergo propter hoc (Latinfor "after this, therefore because of this. fallacy.

gozunda wrote: »

Ya the myth of the beanpole people  - is it the rarefied air that makes peoples brains bigger the further they are from the ground? I've never read such bs  ever ... :pac:
    Other factors lead to height and intelligence.  Eg. if you have better nutrition growing up you would become taller and smarter.  Height correlates with intelligence.  Height doesn't cause people to be smarter.

Other factors lead to height and intelligence.  Eg. if you have better nutrition growing up you would become taller and smarter.  Height correlates with intelligence.  Height doesn't cause people to be smarter.

So your saying that height alone over rules all other variables including genetics, social class, and educational ability / attainment? These factors also correlate with intelligence. To say that only height is significantly correlated with intelligence doesn't stand tbh ...

So your saying that height alone over rules all other variables including genetics, social class, and educational ability / attainment? These factors also correlate with intelligence. To say that only height is significantly correlated with intelligence doesn't stand tbh ...
    Where did I say that?

• Advertisement

Where did I say that?

Through the ommision of all those factors...

Where did I say that?

Through the ommision of all those factors...
    I said "other factors" and I gave one example.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

don't agree

look at Hitler, short arse...Charlie Haughey, short arse plenty of other short arse's have risen to power too

its how you handle yourself, you're persona that brings success in life

Advertisement