Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Height means success, nothing else matters

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm taller than anyone else in our office and probably get paid more than any of them. I'm about average height for an Admin though. Mods need to be over 5' 10", although it's difficult to verify whether they are getting round the rules

Did stop growing when I was 12 and age is taking it's toll - I'm down to just under 6' 1.5" now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Probably got more to do with the confidence that being tall gives you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Choronzon13

I'm 5'10" and apparently that makes me short in certain peoples eyes. Yet whenever I'm out in public most people seem to be roughly my height or shorter, with only a minority of people being taller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

I'm 5'10" and apparently that makes me short in certain peoples eyes. Yet whenever I'm out in public most people seem to be roughly my height or shorter, with only a minority of people being taller.

Tall people have staff to go out in public for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The best paid jobs are in finance and executive management. Not fluting about with test tubes or tapping away at a keyboard.

Which is a statement typifying the simplistic argument height = success.

Finance is full of people with degrees in physics and math. Biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies are increasingly being run and managed by scientists, not people with management degrees. Technology and output significantly improved when these complex companies moved away from big man = good leadership
    = profit. I was working at the LMB in Cambridge last week meeting Nobel laureates who started their own multi-million pound businesses. Try giving a lecture there on the benefits of tall = success because many there were of below average height.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Bernie Ecclestone might disagree with you on that OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I was working at the LMB in Cambridge last week meeting Nobel laureates who started their own multi-million pound businesses. Try giving a lecture there on the benefits of tall = success because many there were of below average height.

What is it about these Nobel Laureates that makes you think they would not be persuaded by the very clear evidence on the topic?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Height_discrimination

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

professore wrote: »
    There does seem to be a disproportionate number of big ****ers in higher management. The OP might be on to something.

As for the tall woman, I don't think it works the same way for women.

Yeah, he's on to some statistical proof, its probably the rock solid reality, against which all individual cases, speculation and feelings are irrelevant, as the numbers will always prevail.

But with all that said, the real question is ...... omg. who. the hell. cares.

well...tall people derp di derp management positions and leadership and admiration .... okay and so what.

if I was applying for an upper management position against equally qualified candidates next week, and all my competition were above average height I might give a sht.

Seems BS to me. The vast majority of managers/directors I've had or known were of an average height. I'm 192 cm tall, and I've only known two managers/directors taller than me.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

A 1995 study found that 90% of Fortune 500 CEOs were above average in height, don't know if it's changed since then. Only 6 of 45 US presidents have had below average height.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

What about this fella a Jimmy White lookalike?

Napoleon:

napoleon.jpg

Or was he the exception to the rule?

BBC-Chart-height_world_leaders.jpg

Berlusconi, Sarkozy, and Medvedev are just below him as well.

Edit:I just read a post above saying Mr Bonaparte was in fact average height for his time.
    But explain the other three to me then?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

U.S. presidents have often been state governors at some stage in their careers which means they entered politics as state representatives (the U.S. equivalent of M.P.) -- most of the exceptions were Senators. These lower level politicians have won nominations against other similar people usually lawyers or prominent businessmen. Their slight height advantage probably has more effect on women voters than men. But it is probably a bit of a factor. Canadian prime ministers have not been overly tall men (we had one woman serving out Mulroney's term for a few months). Most of them were rather average and the most celebrated (Pierre Trudeau) was a bit on the shorter side but had charisma with the ladies. (and other things too)

Mozart on the other hand was reportedly about 5 feet tall. Einstein didn't figure out relativity from a particularly high vantage point either.

Some taller people try to play the "you must obey me from down there" card but often it backfires, the ordinary folk can send each other signals undetectable at vast altitudes. When a tall guy tries to place me (average height) in a dominant-submissive role, I make it very clear that he can get stuffed. But there are tall men who get very angry if you don't play along. They have become used to asserting control and feel very uncomfortable if somebody tries to change the leadership paradigm to inherent ability. They have conditioned themselves to believe that as a slightly larger homo sapiens, they have more of everything including brainpower. If this were true, ever in recorded history, I think racial relations would have taken a much different form. This continues to be the case today as Asia becomes increasingly dominant. But there's a certain kind of woman who just melts down if somebody over six feet appears in her presence. I find it rather amusing to watch the sudden reversion to a state of mind that must have dominated before this stage of evolution began.

The reductio ad absurdum of all this is "mile high Jesus," a figure that some evangelical Christians expect to appear in the end times. He will be something to be reckoned with, for sure.

Height for men does matter enormously when it comes to how women and other men view you. I’m 5’6.75 and i am shorter than most men my age or younger who I am friends with, work with, see around etc. The negative consequences of being a short man are painful, real and they’re just a result of human nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

There are some advantages, like not having to fold oneself into a regular airline seat. They've barely changed the size of those in decades.

I would say thats literally the only advantage of being small, its the only time I look at small people with envy.......Im bang on 6ft and about 14 or 15st and I find them ridiculously uncomfortable, I really don't know how guys much taller than me handle it

Other than that being tall is pretty damn great tbh!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Height is affected by a couple of things; genetic potential/ethnic background and diet. You see this with Japanese Americans. Same genetics but taller on average than their cousins in Japan. Another influence is, or rather was moreso in the past; economic class. Go back to say the medieval and feudal Europe and the nobility were generally taller than the peasant class. More high quality and meat based diet and a consistent diet with it. In some ways they literally looked down on them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Height for men does matter enormously when it comes to how women and other men view you. I’m 5’6.75 and i am shorter than most men my age or younger who I am friends with, work with, see around etc. The negative consequences of being a short man are painful, real and they’re just a result of human nature.

I think it is dependent upon the person themselves acting out the perception.
    If a person is not bothered about it and acts with an air of confidence.
    Then the perception can change.

Examples in the acting world Danny Devito and Michael J Fox.

In fact thier height actually helped thier careers.

3c.jpg

back-future-two-1024.jpg

On a practical level it is easier sleeping when you are less then average height.
    Toes are not sticking out the end of the bed for a start, no need to arch.
    Also more comfortable for long journeys in the car.
    More leg room on public transport etc.

However, there are a number of things that amuse me about some segments of societies attitude to height.
    Some women would not date a man below a certain height dating sites etc (regardless of any other mental or physical attributes).
    But seems to becoming taboo to use the word 'fat' so some women describe themselves as BBW or big girl.

Strange dichotomy.

Although I do understand some women feeling more protected by a taller man.
    But, it does not explain why Nicole Kidman married Tom Cruise.

th?id=OIP.O4S-KiCAdyRL6LY2GIOBxwHaKu&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

Or why Caroline Wozniacki wanted to marry Rory Mcllroy.

In the latter case, it was interesting when Rory dumped her, only then was his height used in negative connotations.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2697112/Caroline-Wozniacki-takes-dig-Rory-McIlroy-wearing-high-heels-Istanbul-shopping-trip.html

As for other men commenting on each other:
    if you are fat you get called a 'fat bastard',
    if you are short then average height 'short @rse'
    if you are bald 'baldy conscience'

There is no problem with it unless the man is extremely insecure and thin skinned.

So to me, it is all about how the individual perceives themselves, rather then how others perceive the individual.
    The former has a lot of say on the latter.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,130 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There is no problem with it unless the man is extremely insecure and thin skinned.

So to me it is all about how the individual perceives themselves rather then how others perceive the individual.
    The former has a lot of say on the latter.

Well it does, or should not, affect how you deal with your opportunities that arise.

I had a conversation about this with a female friend of mine who was convinced that height made no difference in a male.

Then I asked her if while using dating sites or tinder, she would swipe on a fella the same height or shorter than her and she went quiet and then admitted "no". She admitted that she filtered on age and height when using her dating sites.

So it does limit the opportunities you might get. (although something is a negative limiter for everyone but height is a particularly common filter for females when choosing whether or not it's worth talking to someone)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Although I do understand some women feeling more protected by a taller man.
    But, it does not explain why Nicole Kidman married Tom Cruise.

th?id=OIP.O4S-KiCAdyRL6LY2GIOBxwHaKu&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

Or why Caroline Wozniacki wanted to marry Rory Mcllroy.

In the latter case, it was interesting when Rory dumped her, only then was his height used in negative connotations.

Yes, its truly mystifying why a woman would want to marry a man who's arguably the most successful in his field on the planet and worth millions to boot....

I see this angry -women won’t date me because I’m shorter than them- jive a lot here.

My take on it is women want to feel small and dainty and not big and awkward. When they are rolling around with a man half their size they feel big and awkward.
    Men like to feel dainty women so normally they won’t want to be with a girl who has ankles bigger than the men’s waist.

This of course has the few people who are into stuff like big girls or feet or what have ye but generally girls arnt just picking a height out of the blue and saying there’s the limit. Somewhere subliminally or not they have reasons.

Of course if they meet a personality like Tom cruise that owns a room and carries himself with the confidence of the big man she can forget that she could probably fit him in her handbag it’s human nature.

There’s either a lot of angry men on boards or the one fella keeps coming back. Girls arnt some bit of computer code bot. They are funnily enough like men but with different hormones and body parts. Some like some stuff others like other stuff some are murderers and some are angels. Some will go with a man to get some of his money and some will go with a man because she admires how good he is at making money some will go with a man because he makes her feel good by not worrying about being poor and some couldn’t give a ****e about money.

I see this angry -women won’t date me because I’m shorter than them- jive a lot here.

I don't think it's anger. Everyone has filters.

I wouldn't date a fat hippo. But I'd probably be called all manner of names for saying that.

The fat hippo could get up off her corpulent arse and lose weight

But there's nothing a short-arse can do to fix his short-arsedness

Except mug Bono and rob his platform shoes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Seems BS to me. The vast majority of managers/directors I've had or known were of an average height. I'm 192 cm tall, and I've only known two managers/directors taller than me.

But the studies on that wikipedia page have much bigger sample sizes and more robust methodology than your counterargument?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 inspector frost

Being tall certainly is an advantage for men in the dating game. Most women's ideal is a man who is 6ft and over. It is simplistic and silly however, to suggest that being average or below average height means a man will have little to no socio-economic success. But I do agree that men who are below average height tend to have it that bit tougher when it comes to meeting women. Women are visual creatures as well, and you don't get naked with the soul.

Being tall certainly is an advantage for men in the dating game. Most women's ideal is a man who is 6ft and over. It is simplistic and silly however, to suggest that being average or below average height means a man will have little to no socio-economic success. But I do agree that men who are below average height tend to have it that bit tougher when it comes to meeting women. Women are visual creatures as well, and you don't get naked with the soul.

I remember some clip of some TV show they did where women could meet millionaires. They were wetting themselves silly at the thought of getting the chance to meet an accomplished self-made wealthy man. Well educated and a long CV of setting up foundations and charity work and all that. But when he walked out he was an extreme short-arse. Not quite midget but not far off. And sure not one of them wanted to give him a chance :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

LMAO Danny Devito, Tom Cruise and Rory Mclroy, true inspirations for any short guy. One is literally a comedic act who is cast as repulsive and unattractive in literally every role he portrays, the second one is famous in spite of his height, he has top echelon looks and charisma, Mclroy can reject Wozniaki because he is worth 80 million. I personally find her attractive but she's not that hot, facially they're about the same, she's slightly more attractive. maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Diversity for Hire

Attractive men do better in life. Shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

If Rory was an average Joe he'd wanna be pretty ****ing funny to be picking up any sort of bird.

Tall attractive Danes would assume he was some sort of frizzy haired leprechaun.

Attractive men do better in life. Shocking.

Maybe there should be quotas for so many female models and hairdressers and make up counter workers to marry a certain amount of men under 5ft5

Come to think of it one of the apprentices in my jobs is about 5ft and he has a different girl on the go every weekend. He has no problem going over to girls anywhere and asking them out. Even in the q getting his breakfast roll he would be known to turn around and ask a girl for her number.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

riemann wrote: »
    If Rory was an average Joe he'd wanna be pretty ****ing funny to be picking up any sort of bird.

Tall attractive Danes would assume he was some sort of frizzy haired leprechaun.

He's just average looking but Wozniaki isn't really all that hot either, she's tall and blonde but her face isn't drop dead gorgeous.

• Advertisement

You see, I don't think you understand statistics.

Statistically speaking, the is significant evidence that those who are taller do better. (Significant in the statistical meaning)

That sentence does not say that short people cannot do well. So if you know a short person who does well, it does not disprove it.

Similarly, if I tell you that above average wealth men tend to marry above-average looking females , you can't disprove that claim by saying you know a fat wan who married a billionaire. ( I don't know that this is true, just using it as an example)

Advertisement