Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Height means success, nothing else matters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Depends on your definition of "success".

An extra £1,500 a year is worth nothing if it takes you away from your family for another 30 minutes a week.

I'd consider a bin man who has a comfortable life and gets to go home to his family at 2 o'clock without a care in the world, to be pretty damn successful.

Anyway, the answer to the OP is confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Get back to work, you little bollix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I'm 5 9, my boyfriend is 5 3 and he earns twice my salary :rolleyes:

Mrhuth wrote: »
    In an office. Meetings of executive managers from multiple companies involve all of them being at least 6ft3. I feel like a dwarf and I am 6ft1

You are 6ft 1 and you feel like a dwarf because you are surrounded by people a whole 2 inches taller than you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I'm 5 9, my boyfriend is 5 3 and he earns twice my salary :rolleyes:

Do you help him guard the pot of gold? :P

Fair play though to be honest. I don't know any women who date men shorter than them. It seems to be a deal breaker for a lot of folks but I always found it a silly reason to dismiss someone.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    Do you help him guard the pot of gold? :P

Fair play though to be honest. I don't know any women who date men shorter than them. It seems to be a deal breaker for a lot of folks but I always found it a silly reason to dismiss someone.

Ah stop that's mean - we're all the same height lying down :P I don't really mind tbh, he is very broad and chunky so I'm happy! :D

Plus he doesn't mind me wearing heels. his height has never been an issue for him and I think that helps. I'm just hoping our future kids will be somewhere in between!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

That’s the worse thing he done? Called you the little lady?

Do you just have a general dislike for short people?

I'm 5'3". If anyone is hung up on shortness it's you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

I'm 5'3". If anyone is hung up on shortness it's you.

It never comes into my line of thought ever. If somebody smaller than me is an ahole they are just an a hole if somebody bigger than me is they just are. It’s nothing to do with their size. I just find lanky people who arnt good at their job say a short person has small man syndrome and they find another reason to slag the boss if they arnt short.
    You really should address your husbands performance in work if you want him to provide better for you. Entertaining the idea that he can come in and do what he likes and slag off people he can’t get along with isn’t helping him.

You keep alluding to the idea I’m short I’m probably averageish 5 ft 8 it’s never bothered me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I'm 6ft4 jesus i cant imagine what be like as an adult to be 5ft3!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Sore neck from looking up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Ah stop that's mean - we're all the same height lying down :P I don't really mind tbh, he is very broad and chunky so I'm happy! :D

Plus he doesn't mind me wearing heels. his height has never been an issue for him and I think that helps. I'm just hoping our future kids will be somewhere in between!

He's 5'3" lying down too wink wink nudge nudge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Cut off your legs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Napoleon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

I'm 4ft 11 and three quarter inches tall. I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it, it's never been a significant factor in anything I do other than get stuff off shelves and adjusting the drivers seat. If I felt it was holding me back I'd wear heels a lot more often than I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I don't know about this.

All the top people in our organisation are a bit below average height.
    When this is the case, people use the argument of them being successful to make up for being below average height.

The whole debate seems a bit false to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

You really should address your husbands performance in work if you want him to provide better for you.

WHAT are you actually talking about???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

WHAT are you actually talking about???

Two small fellas with small man syndrome are climbing the corporate ladder and buying their wives nice shoes while your husband is falling out with everybody and calling them names.

Maybe the boss called you the little lady because you were wearing penny’s flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I'll play the diversity card so! Small people be represented!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

I've never thought it likely that short man syndrome was a thing, just that angry tall men don't have a "syndrome" someone can point to when they are assholes.

Anyway, being short is a big problem according to multiple studies, and it would take wilful ignorance to dispute that.

Personally I think all males should be given growth hormone as children if they are at risk of being short.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Candie wrote: »
    I'm 4ft 11 and three quarter inches tall. I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it, it's never been a significant factor in anything I do other than get stuff off shelves and adjusting the drivers seat. If I felt it was holding me back I'd wear heels a lot more often than I do.

Short women aren't stigmatised like short men.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Short women aren't stigmatised like short men.

Don’t let it play on your mind jeez...

Yknow I usually just take these thread titles at face value n I’m sorry I even gave it wind. Stay humble or be humbled or some shít

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

seamus wrote: »
    Depends on your definition of "success".

An extra £1,500 a year is worth nothing if it takes you away from your family for another 30 minutes a week.

I'd consider a bin man who has a comfortable life and gets to go home to his family at 2 o'clock without a care in the world, to be pretty damn successful.

Anyway, the answer to the OP is confidence.
    Would you be a binman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I’m worried about mark zuckerberg now.

And bill gates.

Jeff Bezos should be fired, all 5’7” of him.

Warren buffet is no beanpole.

Sergey Brin another midget.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,850 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Austria! wrote: »
    I've never thought it likely that short man syndrome was a thing, just that angry tall men don't have a "syndrome" someone can point to when they are assholes.

Anyway, being short is a big problem according to multiple studies, and it would take wilful ignorance to dispute that.

Personally I think all males should be given growth hormone as children if they are at risk of being short.

There are some advantages, like not having to fold oneself into a regular airline seat. They've barely changed the size of those in decades.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

nuac wrote: »
    Napoleon?
    He was average height for a European at the time(5' 6" IIRC). The myth that he was short came about because his height was measured in French inches which are longer than English inches and because of propaganda from his enemies. Another aspect of it was his personal bodyguards were handpicked from the army for their above average height, so he would have looked smaller surrounded by them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement