Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Height means success, nothing else matters

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

I'm 6'5", one of the most intelligent people where I work (and that's not me just bragging, as people often in work often say it), but I'm extremely unambitious. I've a fine job, my mortgage for a modest house paid off when I was 44, but I'd hate to be in management.

If I had a lad that wanted to be told he is intelligent and it made him work harder I’d tell him all the time. I could say jeez we need an intelligent guy to figure this out and you’d take it home with you and work all night to prove you are intelligent.

Who’s really the intelligent one in this situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭xabi

How much **** do you reckon those two lads do on a daily basis?

Not much

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Mrhuth wrote: »
    There is a reason why 90% of people in higher management positions are way above average height. The taller you are, the higher your position. Nothing else matters.

Woody Allen.

Ronnie Corbett.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Or maybe your husband isn’t hitting targets. Gets a telling off and blames the guy for being short.

My wife would have no idea how tall any people in my job are I’d say that’s your husbands perception of things more so than the fact the two fellas shorter than him managed to get to a better position in the company than him.

It's the general consensus within the company, not just his opinion. I've met them both. They are arseholes. One referred to me as 'the little lady'. Slightly ironic given that I was wearing heels and was about 4 inches taller than him .....

You seem to be very defensive when it comes to being short yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭FriendsEV

Mutant z wrote: »
    Seriously where do you work most people arnt that tall certainly not 6ft 3 and over.

Haha my thoughts too

I'm 5'10 and on the taller side from what I can see in work

6'3 and over is really tall, at those heights your towering over average heights

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Mrhuth

Geuze wrote: »
    Woody Allen.

Ronnie Corbett.

90% not 100%

They are from the 10%

FriendsEV wrote: »
    Haha my thoughts too

I'm 5'10 and on the taller side from what I can see in work

6'3 and over is really tall, at those heights your towering over average heights

One of the Dublin City centre offices for a major company. They have executive management meetings with many different companies often so I see them all the time. They are all towering over me like I am some child. I just don't buy it that it just so happens that they are more intelligent than everyone else and just happen to be taller not the fact that it's their height that puts them in this position. Honestly, I feel inferior and I feel like I'll never be able to achieve such success because I am too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

If you truly feel that heightism is such an injustice, start an organisation to raise awareness of it and fight for equality. I think most of the responses from this thread will give you a fair idea of how that will go down with the average person though.

Some people hold certain advantages in life, people are taller, stronger, better looking, quicker witted. You have to make the best of the cards you were dealt with and push forward, feeling sorry for yourself will achieve not a jot.

RWCNT wrote: »
    If you truly feel that heightism is such an injustice, start an organisation to raise awareness of it and fight for equality. I think most of the responses from this thread will give you a fair idea of how that will go down with the average person though.

Some people hold certain advantages in life, people are taller, stronger, better looking, quicker witted. You have to make the best of the cards you were dealt with and push forward, feeling sorry for yourself will achieve not a jot.

Won't work as apparently this comes from pre historic times where the biggest one was the best and controlled everyone. Apparently this transfers to office environment as well. It means you have no chance because of a seemingly ridiculous predisposition. I guess that's how it's supposed to be, you're in control because you're the tallest, your performance doesn't matter. It can be average but the fact that you're taller, means that you can hold these positions. If that was false, why so many studies that clearly show that being tall earns you more money and career opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

There is a reason why 90% of people in higher management positions are way above average height. The taller you are, the higher your position. Nothing else matters. I'm 6ft1 btw and I feel inferior. All the higher positions in my corporation are held by 6ft3+ meaning I have no chance. The ceo is 6ft6 what a surprise. Have a look at other corporations, you will find the same pattern, I can guarantee you.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/12187872/Size-does-matter-tall-men-and-slender-women-earn-more-throughout-life.html

If you're 6ft1 you're well above average height for an Irish** guy and should have no problem with height issues. There's no way you could feel inferior due to height unless you work with a bunch of massive Scandinavian lumberjacks.

I do have a certain sympathy for people that are very small, guys especially, as no doubt it can be a disadvantage. But you're 6ft1 ffs, that is not small by any means and is no excuse for anything.

**or any other nationality for that matter

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Einstrahlung50

There is a reason why 90% of people in higher management positions are way above average height. The taller you are, the higher your position. Nothing else matters. I'm 6ft1 btw and I feel inferior. All the higher positions in my corporation are held by 6ft3+ meaning I have no chance. The ceo is 6ft6 what a surprise. Have a look at other corporations, you will find the same pattern, I can guarantee you.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/12187872/Size-does-matter-tall-men-and-slender-women-earn-more-throughout-life.html

Taller people are on average more intelligent than shorter people as per studies I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

This is known as tall person privilege.

I won't be happy until 50% of all state and executive boards and senior political appointments are made up of people of below average height.

These positions need to be representative of the population and not just for the privileged few.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

A feck off OP - Michael D is about 4ft 7 and he's the president.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Think Jordan Peterson said something about the underlying threat of physical violence is present in all male interactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Charlie Haughey 5’ 6” ruthless man who got to the top for decades

Jack Welch another ruthless fecker was CEO of General Electric - 5’ 7”

I call shenanigans on your theory OP

You don’t need height, you just need the ability to screw others over and walk over anyone in your way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

It’s amazing the lengths some people go to to get into upper management.
    (That was the sound of me getting my coat)

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Charlie Haughey 5’ 6” ruthless man who got to the top for decades

Jack Welch another ruthless fecker was CEO of General Electric - 5’ 7”

I call shenanigans on your theory OP

You don’t need height, you just need the ability to screw others over and walk over anyone in your way

These are only a few examples. Just look at the presidents of the United States. There were short ones but majority were way above average height.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

These are only a few examples. Just look at the presidents of the United States. There were short ones but majority were way above average height.

What about being way above average girth?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Bob Harris wrote: »
    A feck off OP - Michael D is about 4ft 7 and he's the president.
    That's only because he got hold of that ring that was forged in the fires of Mount Doom.

If taller people get on better in the corporate world, it likely comes from their time in school. Being the alpha there inspires leadership qualities.

The logic being used here suggests that a business owner would never put someone taller than themselves in management for fear of violence and loss of control. That's obviously not the case.

Mrhuth, your defeatist attitude is the biggest difference between yourself and those tall guys. If they were stuck in your body tomorrow with the same personality traits, they'd get on fine. They wouldn't feel inferior.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

It's the general consensus within the company, not just his opinion. I've met them both. They are arseholes. One referred to me as 'the little lady'. Slightly ironic given that I was wearing heels and was about 4 inches taller than him .....

You seem to be very defensive when it comes to being short yourself.

That’s the worse thing he done? Called you the little lady?

Do you just have a general dislike for short people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Am 6'1 female and not successful in any aspect of life. Can this tall privilege think start working on me soon please?

panda100 wrote: »
    Am 6'1 female and not successful in any aspect of life. Can this tall privilege think start working on me soon please?

I just don't get it... How many times do I need to write that it is not in 100% of the cases?

IT DOES NOT APPLY TO 100% OF TALL PEOPLE.

Studies conducted by research organisations show that majority of upper management positions are occupied by people way above average height. It does not say that ALL management positions are occupied by tall people.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

Richest people in the World
    - Jeff Bezos (Amazon) 5' 7"
    - Bill Gates (Microsoft) 5'10"
    - Warren Buffet (Berkshire Hathaway) 5'10"
    - Bernard Arnault (LVMH) 6'1"
    - Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook) 5'7"
    - Amancio Ortega (Zara) 5'8"
    - Carlos Slim (America Movil) 5'8"
    - Charles Koch (Koch Industries) 5'9"
    - David Koch (Koch Industries) 6'5"
    - Larry Ellison (Oracle) 6'3"

So 7 of the 10 wealthiest people in the world are 5'10" or shorter. In my company, none of the senior people are taller than 6'1" so from my experience, it means nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Oh look the red-pill incel gang have escaped again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

There does seem to be a disproportionate number of big ****ers in higher management. The OP might be on to something.

As for the tall woman, I don't think it works the same way for women.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,758 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

professore wrote: »

As for the tall woman, I don't think it works the same way for women.

So much for the 'nothing else matters' bit then. Clearly something else matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭dude_abided

I kind of get where the OP is coming from, there is an awkward height where you are not short or not tall. I'm 190cm so not quite 6'3 so for a while I fell into the same trap.

Its exacerbated by the fact that a lot of people do weight lifting or are just big frames. Lots of ex rugby players etc at senior levels.

Then I realised that 90% of my problem is with myself. My posture wasn't great, I didn't stand tall and proud, wasn't as confident.

Get yourself to the gym, get yourself to push yourself forward and quickly you'll see that height is irrelevant.

And will become even more now that we are moving on to a very happy clappy time in society, where overly masculine features are not exactly celebrated...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

[quote="Pintman Paddy Losty;. Not fluting about with test tubes.[/quote]

I sincerely hope this doesn't go on...ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

How many of them were intelligently?

Advertisement