Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chit chat number nein

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

It’s about €100 here with a jcb. But we always had the tradition of digging the neighbours grave and that wasn’t going to change for dad. On the old grave, all it too was The weight of the sledge to break the concrete- there was a lot of settling of soil since it was last opened.

How is your father after your mother dying?

He is doing ok. Keeping busy went back to work fairly soon after and then in the evenings he does the bog or gives me a hand or calls over as im 12 mile away. But good. He was determined to have headstone done for cemetery sunday on June bank holiday and he has the turf home and half the house repainted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

We usually dig the grave ourselves also and then backfill it once buried. Not sure where the tradition came from but we would of all worked on the roads in england and i think the uncles got it from being at other funerals of maybe west of ireland men. We did it for the grandfathers funeral and every family funeral since.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

whelan2 wrote: »
    After rolling out 3 rolls of 3 quarter inch hydrodare. My holidays are a distant memory

I hope you didnt actially roll and rather pulled out of the middle of roll? Still, tough work in this heat and working out the twists.

Not nice to see the remains of a person you knew when you're digging. In my case, my Grandmother.

That's why tis always neighbours and not relations that dig graves around here.

There's something very humbling about it at the same time. As l said to the lads the other evening as we came on some remains and the irons of the coffin, "you can have the fanciest coffin in the land and in the end you're shoved into a beef nut bag!!" Which we preceeded to do. And do you know when it comes my turn l dont see a bit wrong with it. Lord have mercy on the dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Muckit wrote: »

There's something very humbling about it at the same time. As l said to the lads the other evening as we came on some remains and the irons of the coffin, "you can have the fanciest coffin in the land and in the end you're shoved into a beef nut bag!!" Which we preceeded to do. And do you know when it comes my turn l dont see a bit wrong with it. Lord have mercy on the dead.
    If you don't mind we could use the beef nut bag at the start and save the price of a coffin! I'm hoping for cremation myself but if I'm dead it won't make much odds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

We usually dig the grave ourselves also and then backfill it once buried. Not sure where the tradition came from but we would of all worked on the roads in england and i think the uncles got it from being at other funerals of maybe west of ireland men. We did it for the grandfathers funeral and every family funeral since.

Very old tradition, I'd say. It's the same here in this parish. Family of deceased produces a bottle of whiskey and tradition says it must not leave the graveyard.

Ya very humbling alright. Here the immediate family don't dig, but I dug and filled in my aunt's grave, during the prayers with everyone still there. We had soemone with us then who dug one for the first time (from the City) and he thought it was a very personal thing to do. There's also a few local guys who seem to be at every grave opening. All farmers and do it for free. Fair decent of them.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

It's the same around here too. Neighbours will dig the grave and a bottle will be brought to them. My father used to dig an awful lot of graves. He was pulling out of a field one day and a neighbour pulled up and asked him if he (my father) would dig his grave for him. No problem says the old lad, I'm going for tea now though, can you hold on for another hour or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,180 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I hope you didnt actially roll and rather pulled out of the middle of roll? Still, tough work in this heat and working out the twists.

1 roll was fine other 2 were cnuts

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

After rolling out 3 rolls of 3 quarter inch hydrodare. My holidays are a distant memory

If it was for the dairy herd you should have use at least inch.....when you were going to the trouble of changing it

wrangler wrote: »
    If it was for the dairy herd you should have use at least inch.....when you were going to the trouble of changing it

No for youngstock and suckler. Made a massive difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

2.25 times the flow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

If you're on on your own well too it makes it easier on your pump...what size piping have you for the dairy herd

wrangler wrote: »
    If you're on on your own well too it makes it easier on your pump...what size piping have you for the dairy herd

3 quarters and inch mainly. Working on upgrading the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Very old tradition, I'd say. It's the same here in this parish. Family of deceased produces a bottle of whiskey and tradition says it must not leave the graveyard.

Ya very humbling alright. Here the immediate family don't dig, but I dug and filled in my aunt's grave, during the prayers with everyone still there. We had soemone with us then who dug one for the first time (from the City) and he thought it was a very personal thing to do. There's also a few local guys who seem to be at every grave opening. All farmers and do it for free. Fair decent of them.

an eldery bachelor farmer passed away a few years back , a good few of us turned up to open the grave , it was an old single grave and the headstone was full, with inscriptions going back to the early 1900's

needless to say lots of remains and bits of coffins were dug up and re buried under the floor , while this was going on an eldery neighbour stoved in to look into the grave and then gazed at the tombstone,

"jaysus" he said " the ****** (family name of deceased) were never ones to waste ground"

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Try telling that to the judge tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jimini0

The 9 o clock news is on. Water shortages everywhere but it looks like only the tillage and dairy farmers are effected. Sure the beef farmer doesn't need water. His cattle survive on fresh air.
    Surely it should have been a collective article about all farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

jimini0 wrote: »
    The 9 o clock news is on. Water shortages everywhere but it looks like only the tillage and dairy farmers are effected. Sure the beef farmer doesn't need water. His cattle survive on fresh air.
    Surely it should have been a collective article about all farmers.

What about the goat farmers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Have dug a few graves here, the tradition of bring up a bottle of whisky here as well. One neighbor stipulated who was to dig his grave, only problem was most of them were 80+ so the sons and sons in law stepped in.:D
    Most of the graves have been new ones though, the worst was the day of storm Desmond now that was one tough day, we easily went through a number of rain gear outfits, but as others have said still very humbling to be asked by a family to dig a grave for a loved one. Can’t see it lasting much longer though as there is very few of us left to did a grave:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jimini0

What about the goat farmers?

And the snail farmers

jimini0 wrote: »
    And the snail farmers

Exactly! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

The graveyard near the town here have council lads that dig the grave and you aren't allowed dig or fill in

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Burning Tires

Bullocks wrote: »
    The graveyard near the town here have council lads that dig the grave and you aren't allowed dig or fill in

They tried that with the graves around here about 2 years ago. Council engineer nearly needed the grave when he tried stopping a few lads from digging.

And suddenly it's alright for us to dig the graves again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Bullocks wrote: »
    The same at home in NCD. Thankfully the tradition of the neighbours digging the grave is still strong in Longford and long may it continue.
    Recently we had to pay €1200 to have the grave open for Mam's remains - Glasnevin Cemetery, Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,374 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Reggie. wrote: »

That's a bit like the statement about house prices can only go up.:rolleyes:

The way it's looking the paper that's printed on could be eaten yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭Grueller

Reggie. wrote: »

The paragraph at the end says to me that "We are guessing and don't know our arses from a hole in the ground really".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Been gone from home just over a year, and ive missed a few calls to dig a grave for a few neighbours that have since passed i have never dug a grave before either. However im working for an irish subbie digging holes albeit lighter and sandier soil but i had to do a two day course prior to this job to be allowed to work in it, it wont surprise me if the HSA start clamping down on grave digging in the coming years and require shoring and a standby person at each grave. There have been men jailed out here for trenches collapsing etc im as much responsible for the safety of the trench as the boss (only two of us) and i would probably be heading up sh#t creek before him if something did happen.

It reminds me a lot of working with me aul lad back home wherr if you questioned safety it was a "get on with it and mind yourself" approach never mind the favt its my uncle i work for here only on a different side.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Rosahane

We were at the funeral of a friend's father in Roscommon a few tears ago.

The local custom is that the family dig the grave and after the burial, as the priest says the rosary, all the locals take turns to fill the grave. A young priest, new to the parish was officiating and when he finished the burial ceremony he said they would say a decade of the rosary at which point a local standing beside him said quietly to him "You'll say the whole thing" before picking up one of the many shovels and setting to with a will.

Rosahane wrote: »

The local custom is that the family dig the grave and after the burial, as the priest says the rosary, all the locals take turns to fill the grave. A young priest, new to the parish was officiating and when he finished the burial ceremony he said they would say a decade of the rosary at which point a local standing beside him said quietly to him "You'll say the whole thing" before picking up one of the many shovels and setting to with a will.

Was that in Moore, south roscommon by any chance ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Rosahane wrote: »

Dads funeral was the first one I saw everyone at the graveside wanting to fill it in.... and not out of making sure he stayed buried. A load of his old friends were standing On the grave and stamping down the soil so there wouldn’t be too much settling of the soil. It one of these new graveyards that dons have borders or concrete so a lawnmower can cut the grass.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement