Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chit chat number nein

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Panjandrums

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,175 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

See an 18 year old has been charged with the murder of Cameron Reilly locally, he will appear in court in the morning. There has been an awful feeling around here since it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    See an 18 year old has been charged with the murder of Cameron Reilly locally, he will appear in court in the morning. There has been an awful feeling around here since it happened.

Not of a relief now I bet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Dads funeral was the first one I saw everyone at the graveside wanting to fill it in.... and not out of making sure he stayed buried. A load of his old friends were standing On the grave and stamping down the soil so there wouldn’t be too much settling of the soil. It one of these new graveyards that dons have borders or concrete so a lawnmower can cut the grass.

There's a "natural" burial ground not far from me.
    It's a new idea where the deceased can be buried in wicker coffins and then a tree planted over the grave. No headstones allowed. So the theory is there will be no trace of the graveyard in years to come.

Granted though there was a wood cleared in the first place to accommodate this burial ground.

In my own local graveyard a member of a former local landlord family died and they were put into one of the existing graves.
    The graves of this family (about 10) had a big granite curbing enclosing the whole lot.
    Anyway the grave was opened. It was brick lined and pointed on the sides and I'm nearly sure the bottom too.
    Nobody in the parish alive had ever seen these graves opened so it was a bit of a wonderment to see the brick lining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Muckit wrote: »
    Was that in Moore, south roscommon by any chance ?

No, near Athlone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

It's a new idea where the deceased can be buried in wicker coffins and then a tree planted over the grave. No headstones allowed. So the theory is there will be no trace of the graveyard in years to come.

Granted though there was a wood cleared in the first place to accommodate this burial ground.

In my own local graveyard a member of a former local landlord family died and they were put into one of the existing graves.
    The graves of this family (about 10) had a big granite curbing enclosing the whole lot.
    Anyway the grave was opened. It was brick lined and pointed on the sides and I'm nearly sure the bottom too.
    Nobody in the parish alive had ever seen these graves opened so it was a bit of a wonderment to see the brick lining.
    Priests graves are the same.
    Helped out with a fair few graves, but the priests was definitely the hardest (possibly due to fresh ground)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,651 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The most "natural" burial out there is the "sky" burial practiced by certain tribes in India. It involves bodies being laid on a pyre so that the Vultures take your body to "heaven". Theres also an African version that involves Hyenas.Sounds like a fitting end for folks like myself;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,175 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Birdnuts wrote: »
    The most "natural" burial out there is the "sky" burial practiced by certain tribes in India. It involves bodies being laid on a pyre so that the Vultures take your body to "heaven". Theres also an African version that involves Hyenas.Sounds like a fitting end for folks like myself;)

Just make sure you're fully dead before doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,384 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The fire on in the Blooms is unreal now
    https://www.facebook.com/OffalyFireRescue/videos/2086777684910488/
    Not a million miles away from the farm now either, so things are getting serious near me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,651 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Just make sure you're fully dead before doing so

For sure - on a visit to the Samburu district of Kenya several years ago our local tribal guide showed us an old Hyena den full of human bones. It was in one those tribal areas that followed the custom up to very recently..twas quiet a sight!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭Grueller

Not a million miles away from the farm now either, so things are getting serious near me

Make sure Trent is safe.

New deceased idea.

Turn your body into Biochar when you go for the big sleep.
    Have your carbon survive for a thousand years and help feed worlds humanity.

I'm off now to the Patent office!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

Turn your body into Biochar when you go for the big sleep. Have your carbon survive for a thousand years and help feed worlds humanity.

Soylent Green is people.

Maybe it is or isn't a good idea to post this for potential arse onists reading this.
    But here's a link to a south African site that tracks fires all over the world by satellite.

https://southernafrica.afis.co.za/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Odelay

Tis only near the end of the video you see how bad it is. Must be some heat off that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭Base price

God bless him and his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Youre not all that far away from me so about 40 minutes at a nice speed along twisty winding roads where you could meet anything "from cattle pigs sheep and chickens" as my father told me one day i set off with a few lads on session tbe other side of there. I have relations down there too.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Theyd feast well on my carcass :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Theyd feast well on my carcass :p

Same as that. Would take them a while :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Lady haywire I think you have a rival!!
    Went turning the hay this evening-first time doing it. Had a row with my dad as he insisted I take the Massey 135 as opposed to the tractor with a enclosed cab, comfy seat and air conditioning but anyway!! All delighted with myself as got it working fine-finished off the 20qcres and realised I'd snapped the hydraulic arm clean off and bent the top link thingy-obviously it had happened a while before I copped. I told dad in front of witnesses to be on the safe side......lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

L1985 wrote: »
    Went turning the hay this evening-first time doing it. Had a row with my dad as he insisted I take the Massey 135 as opposed to the tractor with a enclosed cab, comfy seat and air conditioning but anyway!! All delighted with myself as got it working fine-finished off the 20qcres and realised I'd snapped the hydraulic arm clean off and bent the top link thingy-obviously it had happened a while before I copped. I told dad in front of witnesses to be on the safe side......lol.

Nothing worse. Easy fix on a 135 though.

I’m going stir crazy here- had the leg redressed again there. - doing nothing is driving me cracked- going to clean the house today I reckon. I’d be shot if I went on the tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

:D:D

I've copped onto the 'having witnesses' clause too. Helps if you need them as back up for saying I told you so!

The 135 here has no lift on it, was in a dairy yard covered in shíte all its life, scraping down so the hydraulics are frigged on it.
    So it just sits there looking pretty and taking up space :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

we have a lot of those tractors that sit and look pretty -apparently they are "vintage...". That appeals kinda lost on me but the good news is that dad can take the thing I broke off one of them so that takes the heat off somewhat! The Massey is dads baby so the fact that I hurt her will be brought up again!! Maybe next time I get to take the tractor that will not trigger hay fever and a bruised ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

This was our vintage yolk. Gone to someone who’ll appericiate it now though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Just got a text message from Teagasc inviting me to a drainage event!!!!!!

I was on the road yesterday and noticed a man of African origin walking on the side of a busy road with a luminous bodywarmer type of thing and two black plastic bags over his shoulders.
    At first I thought he was working for the council picking up rubbish but then on passing it was clear he was going somewhere.
    After two hours later coming back on the same road he was 4 miles further down the road probably having stopped in a town in between on his journey.

He wasn't thumbing or anything but just walking on his journey.
    Maybe I don't be out much but it was a bit of a shock to see the poor divil probably with all his worldly possessions in those two black plastic bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Brother off to the Canaries next Thursday with Ryanair. Of all the days he picked.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

we have a lot of those tractors that sit and look pretty -apparently they are "vintage...". That appeals kinda lost on me but the good news is that dad can take the thing I broke off one of them so that takes the heat off somewhat! The Massey is dads baby so the fact that I hurt her will be brought up again!! Maybe next time I get to take the tractor that will not trigger hay fever and a bruised ass!

I’m a fan of vintage myself but they must do work. Have a 135 that Does a fair bit of work including running the mixer and topper.

I want to do up dads 205-7 digger (similar ehamerx’ one in the photo thread) but I’ve to gather money first and get it in my name- I could spend €10k on it and then to mother would give it to one of the brothers.

We only ever had vintage(well weren’t vintage when bought) 35x, 65, 135, 188, and now we have a case 785 and a mf135.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Had to do an operation on a calf there that couldn't pass water. The vet opened him up from behind with the aim of letting the pee pipe out the back like a heifer but after a good while rooting it seems the hurt was up too high to work the way we hoped so she had to put him down. Of course it was a serious limo calf out of a blue cow, things like that never happen to a bad one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭emaherx

I’m a fan of vintage myself but they must do work. Have a 135 that Does a fair bit of work including running the mixer and topper.

I want to do up dads 205-7 digger (similar ehamerx’ one in the photo thread) but I’ve to gather money first and get it in my name- I could spend €10k on it and then to mother would give it to one of the brothers.

We only ever had vintage(well weren’t vintage when bought) 35x, 65, 135, 188, and now we have a case 785 and a mf135.

Agree totally, hate seeing machines restored to better than original spec and then never used again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement