Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chit chat number nein

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,384 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Our green grass is even disappearing from the satellite pics

Y1Nwcc1.jpg

Some more words on the pic over in the weather forum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Odelay

Columbia scored!! 1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Mayo supporters know how England supporters feel

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Collected this today, lovely bus.

3008.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

wrangler wrote: »
    Collected this today, lovely bus.

3008.jpg

Well may you wear!

Looks good.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I drive a Land Cruiser 95 series. The third last model, 01 with the 3.0 TD engine. I sat into the modern version recently................. Major jaw drop...... the seat could have been higher but already my head hadn't much clearance and a sudden jolt forward and I felt I would hit the sun visor a bang. What I could see through the slanting wind screen was 50% bonnet. On my own I sit high behind a reasonably vertical wind screen and have a great view out, like being in front of a TV, great for touring around. I can see the bonnet but it not oppressive and I have plenty of room about my head. I wasn't intending buying a full size 4X4 again but I won't ever be buying that for sure now.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭Grueller

Ard_MC wrote: »
    No should only be baled for silage if Hay is not possible to be got.

Recommendation: Where, because of bad weather or for other reasons, hay cannot be saved, silage
    can be made, provided that it is turned at least twice before collecting. This is important for the
    participant to ensure that the seeds are spread and that the meadow continues to have the required
    diversity of species throughout the 5 year contract.

That quote is directly from Glas specification sheets. Or for other reasons is the important bit. The other reason being that I have no shed space for hay and also that I could not be bothered my hole arsing around with hay even in this good weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Grueller wrote: »
    Recommendation: Where, because of bad weather or for other reasons, hay cannot be saved, silage
    can be made, provided that it is turned at least twice before collecting. This is important for the
    participant to ensure that the seeds are spread and that the meadow continues to have the required
    diversity of species throughout the 5 year contract.

That quote is directly from Glas specification sheets. Or for other reasons is the important bit. The other reason being that I have no shed space for hay and also that I could not be bothered my hole arsing around with hay even in this good weather.

It's unfortunately when you have unsettled weather conditions- that's happened is every time we have had to to cut those meadows and I've a feeling it will happen this year as well. Sudden rain showers can come from anywhere ya know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

L1985 wrote: »
    It's unfortunately when you have unsettled weather conditions- that's happened is every time we have had to to cut those meadows and I've a feeling it will happen this year as well. Sudden rain showers can come from anywhere ya know!!

Unless you have gone full 60's rewind, and cut it with a fingerbar mower, the conditioning flails on a modern mower will have threashed most of the seed off whatever is growing there.
    Just look at what gathers on the front hood of the mower just driving through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Dug a grave for a local this evening oh sweet divine it was like being on a chain gang

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Had to do the same last week. We left it til cool of evening but still. The son came down with chilled cans of Cider and Heineken ..... manna from heaven!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Dug a grave for a local this evening oh sweet divine it was like being on a chain gang

Was it a new grave? We dug my fathers- it was a new grave and a nightmare. My aunts grave was opened a number of times and wasn’t as bad to do.

The heat must have been killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Was it a new grave? We dug my fathers- it was a new grave and a nightmare. My aunts grave was opened a number of times and wasn’t as bad to do.

The heat must have been killer.

A bit morbid, but a handy tip when digging a grave. If you have a grave with only one person buried there and you need to find out which side they are buried on, drive down a bit of 1/2" rebar by hand. It will go down easily on the side where they are buried.

I can't understand why they don't mark the headstone to show the side the person is buried on. We dug our family grave recently and we got the side wrong. It was over 25 years since last dug, but still.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

For those of you like myself that don't read the Dairy Chit Chat thread too often. Have a look in there now. They're bating the heads off each other with hurleys. :D:D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 29,178 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

For those of you like myself that don't read the Dairy Chit Chat thread too often. Have a look in there now. They're bating the heads off each other with hurleys. :D:D

The heat is getting to some of them. Poor chaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Facebook is giving rain!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

ganmo wrote: »
    Facebook is giving rain!!!

Don't jinx/scare away that possibility. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I've a horses, hiking, dairy & photography holiday booked started the 14th. So I'd like it to be dry. So it shall probably rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I've a horses, hiking, dairy & photography holiday booked started the 14th. So I'd like it to be dry. So it shall probably rain!

Jesus are you sure that's a holiday? I like to lie down, eat and drink when I get a holiday!

Bullocks wrote: »
    Jesus are you sure that's a holiday? I like to lie down, eat and drink when I get a holiday!

Different strokes for different folks! Hiking & photography go hand in hand anyway, am off to over near dartmoor park. Be close to a few racecourses so make take in a day there too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,178 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

After rolling out 3 rolls of 3 quarter inch hydrodare. My holidays are a distant memory

A bit morbid, but a handy tip when digging a grave. If you have a grave with only one person buried there and you need to find out which side they are buried on, drive down a bit of 1/2" rebar by hand. It will go down easily on the side where they are buried.

I can't understand why they don't mark the headstone to show the side the person is buried on. We dug our family grave recently and we got the side wrong. It was over 25 years since last dug, but still.

Men are usually to the left as you look at the headstone around our side of the country. I wanted to bury dad 2 foot deeper as we kept meeting remains when we opened the old family gravebut everyone said twas a waste of time and energy- when he was buried Mam announced that she wanted to be buried on top of him and not to his left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Different strokes for different folks! Hiking & photography go hand in hand anyway, am off to over near dartmoor park. Be close to a few racecourses so make take in a day there too :D

Supposed to be lovely part of the world, i drank with a mechanic who worked on a farm beside me where they bought cattle off that moor he said they were the wildest hed ever seen in his life and were never dehorned either. Might be a few around to get a photo of, also the dartmoor ponies would be another feature there too.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Bring back some baisteach with you when you come back.
    It's raining away atm over there now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Surely you'll have the making of a winner in one of our photography competitions!

Supposed to be lovely part of the world, i drank with a mechanic who worked on a farm beside me where they bought cattle off that moor he said they were the wildest hed ever seen in his life and were never dehorned either. Might be a few around to get a photo of, also the dartmoor ponies would be another feature there too.

Tis the ponies I'm aiming for!! But any cattle are good cattle :) I'm going to visit a photographer who just happens to do some work with horses and on a dairy farm so I'll be tagging along.
    Bring back some baisteach with you when you come back.
    It's raining away atm over there now.

I know, started yesterday evening I'm told!
    Surely you'll have the making of a winner in one of our photography competitions!

Naw, am jinxed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Men are usually to the left as you look at the headstone around our side of the country. I wanted to bury dad 2 foot deeper as we kept meeting remains when we opened the old family gravebut everyone said twas a waste of time and energy- when he was buried Mam announced that she wanted to be buried on top of him and not to his left.

All mini diggers used around here. 600e to dig the mothers grave in December and my digger doing nothing. I was told I couldn't do it by the undertaker and there is no graves around it.

when the headstone and kerbs were being done in May, the lad couldn't believe we demanded 2 x rebar sheets were put in with the concrete. but a fresh enough grave and auld lad thinks he is good for another 30 years

All mini diggers used around here. 600e to dig the mothers grave in December and my digger doing nothing. I was told I couldn't do it by the undertaker and there is no graves around it.

when the headstone and kerbs were being done in May, the lad couldn't believe we demanded 2 x rebar sheets were put in with the concrete. but a fresh enough grave and auld lad thinks he is good for another 30 years

It’s about €100 here with a jcb. But we always had the tradition of digging the neighbours grave and that wasn’t going to change for dad. On the old grave, all it too was The weight of the sledge to break the concrete- there was a lot of settling of soil since it was last opened.

How is your father after your mother dying?

Same here, men on left. Very old graves like our one can have women on left if previous person had to go on right. He may have been buried soon after another man, say his brother.
    Not nice to see the remains of a person you knew when you're digging. In my case, my Grandmother.

• Advertisement

Same here, men on left. Very old graves like our one can have women on left if previous person had to go on right. He may have been buried soon after another man, say his brother.
    Not nice to see the remains of a person you knew when you're digging. In my case, my Grandmother.
    Yeah my younger brother met my grandfathers ribs and wouldn’t dig any more. There was infant remains in that grave too I’m glad we didn’t meet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement