Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chit chat number nein

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

whelan2 wrote: »
    Other thing is most of the women they feature are dolled up to the nines, how many wear make up every day out in the yard?

Just a bit of guy liner for me. Stopped with the lipstick a few years ago, seemed to scare the sheep. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭emaherx

That's true, wrangler.

And then they'll be dismissed as only there because they're female and having to get the job despite X being better but he's only a man.

That's also true. It'll do much more harm than good. It will also make your statement true in many cases where the best candidate may be overlooked in some areas just because of their gender.

There's a certain irony in doing this for gender equality, but enforcing the balance being tipped in the opposite direction will be damaging for male and female candidates.

We need to ensure no one is discriminated against for any reason in any profession but also realize that many professions will attract more men or women depending on their nature and quotas will only create discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

emaherx wrote: »
    .... We need to ensure no one is discriminated against for any reason in any profession but also realize that many professions will attract more men or women depending on their nature and quotas will only create discrimination.

Me thinks you have been watching too much Jordan Peterson. :cool:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Me thinks you have been watching too much Jordan Peterson. :cool:

Who now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Have a calf with what looks like cradle cap that children get
    What’s best way to treat? Baby oil?

Olive oil works on cradle cap, no idea what your calf has mind 😷

• Advertisement

emaherx wrote: »
    Who now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb4Ckb9f4y8

Worth watching a lot of his other videos too.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Update. Guy has been outed btw - previously claims to have been engaged in farming - yeah right ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Thing is though. Go to any Mart or co-op meeting and look at the demographics.

Mid 50's onwards men mostly.

Go to that "Women in Agriculture" annual conference and thousands of the yokes.
    You'd wonder where'd they'd be normally hiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    Other thing is most of the women they feature are dolled up to the nines, how many wear make up every day out in the yard?
    I actually do but its a habit from the time I used to work in offices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,173 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Trying to do a commencement notice online for new building. Any tips. It seems geared towards residential buildings not agricultural

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

My Grandmother as a Widow reared 6 kids,4 sons and two daughters
    She was a widow at 32 working the farm right though the 30's to the 80's
    She wore lipstick every day and drank guinness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mortelaro wrote: »
    My Grandmother as a Widow reared 6 kids,4 sons and two daughters
    She was a widow at 32 working the farm right though the 30's to the 80's
    She wore lipstick every day and drank guinness
    +1

My grandmother on my fathers side reared 7 and bossed the farm for the bones of a decade while my grandfather was in a Sanitorium and did most of that as well after he returned in poor enough health.

She was a farmer, not a woman farmer, and was treated like any other farmer.

She was one tough cookie though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭148multi

+1

My grandmother on my fathers side reared 7 and bossed the farm for the bones of a decade while my grandfather was in a Sanitorium and did most of that as well after he returned in poor enough health.

Wasn't off the grass you licked it so, judge ðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb4Ckb9f4y8

Worth watching a lot of his other videos too.

I had the pleasure of seeing him live not long ago

An extremely smart man, and not afraid to call it as it is. Big fan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Odelay

My dad was helping a farmer fill out some forms, sitting at the kitchen table in the farmhouse. Going through expenses etc to see what could be claimed and how to work out a pension.

All the while this was going on the farmers wife was cleaning out ashes, feeding children, helping with homework, feeding pigs and hens, collecting eggs, making a tart, putting on the ham and peeling spuds, then drawing in timber for the open fire, and making more pots of tea with fresh scones. She never stopped for a moment.

Anyway as Dad was asking about dependants and if the farmer had previously had a PAYE job off the farm at some stage to see if any stamps were worked up I guess.

Anyway, Dad asked if the wife had worked a PAYE job.... the farmer said “oh no, she never worked a day in her life”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Odelay wrote: »
    My dad was helping a farmer fill out some forms, sitting at the kitchen table in the farmhouse. Going through expenses etc to see what could be claimed and how to work out a pension.

All the while this was going on the farmers wife was cleaning out ashes, feeding children, helping with homework, feeding pigs and hens, collecting eggs, making a tart, putting on the ham and peeling spuds, then drawing in timber for the open fire, and making more pots of tea with fresh scones. She never stopped for a moment.

Anyway as Dad was asking about dependants and if the farmer had previously had a PAYE job off the farm at some stage to see if any stamps were worked up I guess.

Anyway, Dad asked if the wife had worked a PAYE job.... the farmer said “oh no, she never worked a day in her life”.

Sound like your Dad was talking to my Dad!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Grass discussion group I'm kind of a member of only has one female farmer out of sixteen.

A good few years ago when I was in ag college. There were three female students out of ninety strapping ag students.

These famous female farmers keeping the show on the road might be out there but they must be staying at home??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

+1

You'll be interested to know my Granny was from the Diocese of Kerry:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Collected me "piece of paper" at graduation today in Mountbellew Ag College ;)

Had to rush away then to get back to yard for reading of herd test. All clear ;)

Young lads in bed. Time to crack open a beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Twas very sad one of the lads, l wouldn't have known him well, but he passed away since finishing the course. His wife and 2 young kids collected the cert on his behalf. Not a dry eye in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Grass discussion group I'm kind of a member of only has one female farmer out of sixteen.

A good few years ago when I was in ag college. There were three female students out of ninety strapping ag students.

These famous female farmers keeping the show on the road might be out there but they must be staying at home??

I'm the only female in my KT meeting …… the rest were inclined to try and get me to do the filling out of questionnaires etc when we were doing various activities. Our advisor put a stop to that before me!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,156 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Mortelaro, she could have been Cork woman as part of Kerry Diocese takes in North Cork and the Beara peninsula.

Panch18 wrote: »
    I had the pleasure of seeing him live not long ago

An extremely smart man, and not afraid to call it as it is. Big fan

Hey Lobster, what's up. :D Ya, must have watched every video at this stage. He (Jordan Peterson) always seems to hit the nail on the head with his arguments.
    I'm starting to watch Joe Rogan podcasts now aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/25/veganism-intensively-farmed-meat-dairy-soya-maize

Interesting article, I’ll be reading more about their enterprise.

https://youtu.be/mP3-TsRRSys

Obviously we all can’t do this style of change but I do beleive that we can all do something to improve biodiversity on our land. Given the chance nature recovers and with enough effort biodiversity loss can be reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

_Brian wrote: »
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/25/veganism-intensively-farmed-meat-dairy-soya-maize

Interesting article, I’ll be reading more about their enterprise.

https://youtu.be/mP3-TsRRSys

Obviously we all can’t do this style of change but I do beleive that we can all do something to improve biodiversity on our land. Given the chance nature recovers and with enough effort biodiversity loss can be reversed.

Saw another article about that farm somewhere. The set up is something else - more like a safari park!. Must see if I can find it ...

Anyone go to the Limousin bull sale.in Gort last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Anyone go to the Limousin bull sale.in Gort last night?

Some prices on Twitter. 3K was highest I saw.

• Advertisement

orm0nd wrote: »
    Some prices on Twitter. 3K was highest I saw.

Ya, I saw those.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement