Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chit chat number nein

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Due a herd test and preparing a bull for a sale
    how long does export test last is it 30 days?
    How long after the test can he be retested to have an export cert?

Export test lasts 30 days.

Usual interval between tests is 60 days but I think it can be 42 days at times.

Best thing to do is ring your local DVO and get the info from the horse's mouth.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

If a vet is on route to an emergency call out, do they have to keep to the speed limit and why don't vets have beacons or flashing lights for when they are going to an emergency?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

No flashing lights and keep to the limits.
    There was an article recently saying that the Coastguard were no longer able to use lights and sirens and they are the fourth emergency services. Even the gardai have to specifically trained to use them and not all are.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    If a vet is on route to an emergency call out, do they have to keep to the speed limit and why don't vets have beacons or flashing lights for when they are going to an emergency?

It's say as it's an animal life and not human life that is at risk

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

My pet chihuahua is in a bad way! Get here as fast as you can!!!

Dublin city traffic grinds to a standstill, the streets aswash with blue lights and blaring sirens as emergency services rush to tend to little Toodles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭148multi

greysides wrote: »
    No flashing lights and keep to the limits.
    There was an article recently saying that the Coastguard were no longer able to use lights and sirens and they are the fourth emergency services. Even the gardai have to specifically trained to use them and not all are.

Think the fire brigade can't break the speed limits, at least that's what we are told locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

148multi wrote: »
    Think the fire brigade can't break the speed limits, at least that's what we are told locally.

When I worked in Dublin, I ended up following a fire brigade one morning for a good few miles as they happened to be going the same way. After a good few turns they ended up in a petrol station with all of them queuing up for breakfast rolls. Lights and sirens flashing the whole way.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Did anyone see the article about the charge of €500 for out of hours vet call out? I will greet my vet with hugs and kisses from now on, his call out is €60!!! But in all fairness that's crazy money - what animal is worth that, unless they are pedigree to the highest order of pedigree. I try very hard to keep my animals healthy but in no way could I afford that.

KatyMac wrote: »
    Did anyone see the article about the charge of €500 for out of hours vet call out? I will greet my vet with hugs and kisses from now on, his call out is €60!!! But in all fairness that's crazy money - what animal is worth that, unless they are pedigree to the highest order of pedigree. I try very hard to keep my animals healthy but in no way could I afford that.
    Vet was saying that yesterday, apparently it's an English company buying up vet practices and they are picking and choosing who they'll visit....vet also used sugar on the cows womb yesterday before putting it back in. Do many vets do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

First thing that struck me was that a charge for clients who were slow to pay their bills.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    First thing that struck me was that a charge for clients who were slow to pay their bills.

That's what I said too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Vet was saying that yesterday, apparently it's an English company buying up vet practices and they are picking and choosing who they'll visit....vet also used sugar on the cows womb yesterday before putting it back in. Do many vets do that?

That's an old remedy, heard of it years ago

wrangler wrote: »
    Seen that back in my young days by an old fashioned vet - something about it reduces the serum and makes it easier to put back. The same vet used to give my mother advice like giving calves a drop of washup liquid in their feed if they had bad stomachs - seemed to work as far as I can remember too.

This was a young vet, a good vet

It's good that some remedies that might not exactly have up to date veterinary science attached to them are being used. Anyone every use bread and hot water wrapped up in a bandage as a poultice? That was another one from the old vet.

Cows innards haven't changed, it still works obviously
    It helps to shrink it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭visatorro

My old vet was stung badly by one farmer.
    Remember there was a 30 day limit for call outs and no credit for stuff bought in shop. Couldn't blame him .

But someone said that they can't refuse to attend to a sick animal, dunno how true that is.

visatorro wrote: »
    My old vet was stung badly by one farmer.
    Remember there was a 30 day limit for call outs and no credit for stuff bought in shop. Couldn't blame him .

But someone said that they can't refuse to attend to a sick animal, dunno how true that is.
    Vet had told me you can be unavailable to attend a call

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Saw it done on a cow with a prolasped calfbed. (35 years ago now, dunno where those years went).
    The mothers good white bed sheet was never the same afterwards, either......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

It's good that some remedies that might not exactly have up to date veterinary science attached to them are being used. Anyone every use bread and hot water wrapped up in a bandage as a poultice? That was another one from the old vet.

Bread poultice used here on an abscess, also mashed spuds and turnip. Should be as hot as is bearable.

• Advertisement

rightly so, too many don't pay because they think they're a cute hoor and don't need to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Have a calf with what looks like cradle cap that children get
    What’s best way to treat? Baby oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I know of one person who must owe thousands in vets bills. Most vets stopped coming eventually. The one guy who attended looked for money up front.

Women in agriculture, this bugs me. It's not a new thing sure our grannies were milking cows etc. Why make a deal of it. Doesn't matter who does the job as long as it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Women in agriculture, this bugs me. It's not a new thing sure our grannies were milking cows etc. Why make a deal of it. Doesn't matter who does the job as long as it's done.

Or if a man has to mind the kids he's babysitting, there his too,!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I've been informed many times that it's parenting not babysitting

My neighbour doesn't call it babysitting, he refers to it as driving children....
    Just edited to say he's the grandfather of said ''driven children''

Was up til 3am with the youngest lad. He's got the chicken pox poor little devil and just couldn't get comfortable. We've a nice glider chair which is comfortable.... but it's not a bed!

Anyways decided after mammy took over to order 2 chainsaw chains on Amazon, as you do! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Muckit wrote: »
    Was up til 3am with the youngest lad. He's got the chicken pox poor little devil and just couldn't get comfortable. We've a nice glider chair which is comfortable.... but it's not a bed!

Anyways decided after mammy took over to order 2 chainsaw chains on Amazon, as you do! :D

They’re an awful dose, hopefully he gets some rest tonight.

Our eldest had a bunch of them in her mouth and they drove her clean mad.

• Advertisement

They’re an awful dose, hopefully he gets some rest tonight.

Our eldest had a bunch of them in her mouth and they drove her clean mad.

Yeah he has then everywhere, including his mouth! He's only 10mths. His poor little backside and frontend is riiddled aswell. Heat of the nappy l guess. Putting him into cool bath with porridge seemed to give him best relief. Day 6 today. Not out of the woods yet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement