Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's going to see the Pope?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,254 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

joe40 wrote: »
    So the priest at this wedding was what, an idiot, unbeliever, a protestant for marrying this couple.
    Are you in fact a priest or theologian since you can define exactly what a catholic is.

The priest was lying to himself, i.e. pretending that these people lived within the rules of the church.

It doesn't bother me that this goes on, each to their own. it does bother me though that people will try and claim the country is 78% Roman Catholic, that is also a 'lie'.

The organisation needs to get off the pot and change to accomodate modern living and morals or die away, as it is clearly doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Taytoland wrote: »
    Culturally Catholic. You can only laugh at how dumb that is.

It's not really though. Most people in Ireland are Catholic due to cultural histories and norms passed down through the generations.

People christen their children here due to the culture as well, I don't believe most are really religious.

• Administrators Posts: 53,507 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

joe40 wrote: »
    So the priest at this wedding was what, an idiot, unbeliever, a protestant for marrying this couple.
    Are you in fact a priest or theologian since you can define exactly what a catholic is.
    If they got strict about it there'd be nobody left.

The church is in too weak a position to uphold its own rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Apparently anybody who watched the Pope on tv got a partial indulgence. Happy days.
    Oh god, I thought you were joking.

The whole thing really is crazy when you stand back and look at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Taytoland wrote:
    Culturally Catholic. You can only laugh at how dumb that is.

Bouncy castle Catholic is funnier.

Or idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,278 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

seamus wrote: »
    Oh god, I thought you were joking.

The whole thing really is crazy when you stand back and look at it.

Hey, dont knock a free partial indulgence. handy to have in the back pocket. As the Dubliners sang in The Mero

So we’ll all go up to the Mero; hey there, who’s your man
    It’s only me Guardian Angel, get a large one for yer man
    There’s no use bleedin` rushin’, sure now’s the holy hour
    A plenary indulgence and another baby-power

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

ELM327 wrote: »
    The priest was disobeying the church as the couple should not have been wed as they had been living in sin.

I'm not a priest, I'm just a firm believer in knowing your enemy/oppressor in great detail.

To be fair, if they had confession the day beforehand then the slate is wiped clean and they could get married.

Editing to add: And for confession you don't actually have to be sorry you committed the sin, you just have to wish to be absolved and promise not to do it again. For catholics simply wanting the sin absolved because you don't want it hanging around so you can get into heaven is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

what's left out of a partial indulgence?

lawred2 wrote: »

you only get as far as limbo. still, beats the alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Limbo is gone, you can limbo dance right up to the gates these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

lawred2 wrote: »

Only god knows.

....... wrote: »
    Limbo is gone, you can limbo dance right up to the gates these days.

With my back? I dont think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The two are mutually exclusive
    You are not a catholic if you make up your own mind.
    That's protestantism.

It's hilarious that someone professing to be a catholic hasn't a clue what it actually means.

Where is the Church ruling that says you are not a Catholic if you are not following particular teachings? You can only cease to be a Catholic if you are excommunicated by the Church.

It would be virtually impossible for a Catholic to follow every single ruling without becoming a monk living in an isolated monastery. The whole point of the concept of 'sin' and forgiveness is that it accepts that people are breaking the rules and perhaps many of them. What are people supposed to be confessing to when they spend several minutes in the confession box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I think you mean purgatory. Limbo is gone and was only for the unbaptised.

I love how they can just do away with these concepts as the humour takes them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Easy, it's all made up nonsense.

I think you mean purgatory. Limbo is gone and was only for the unbaptised.

Perhaps i do. My theology is probably a little out of date.

I find it a hoot. Popes are infallible. Until the next pope decides they were wrong. You couldn't make it up.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Where is the Church ruling that says you are not a Catholic if you are not following particular teachings? You can only cease to be a Catholic if you are excommunicated by the Church.

It would be virtually impossible for a Catholic to follow every single ruling without becoming a monk living in an isolated monastery. The whole point of the concept of 'sin' and forgiveness is that it accepts that people are breaking the rules and perhaps many of them. What are people supposed to be confessing to when they spend several minutes in the confession box?

They are sinners. They have sinned against God and the church.

Is this the modern church now? Sin away and confess regularly and everything will be hunky dory?

This church is in a worse state of befuddlement than I thought. 'As long as everyone lies and pretends we will survive'. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Fact they are still trying to make Mother Teresa a Saint says alot about the church, she was a monster

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Agreed, I hope there is a way of tracing the intolerant scum that did attend.

Such hatred.

It's not good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They are sinners. They have sinned against God and the church.

Is this the modern church now? Sin away and confess regularly and everything will be hunky dory?

This church is in a worse state of befuddlement than I thought. 'As long as everyone lies and pretends we will survive'. :rolleyes:

The dysfunctional Irish Church in the past 100 years or so was probably putting way too much emphasis on following the rules to an almost zealous / fanatical degree. We don't know if that was happening in other Catholic countries in the same manner but I suspect it wasn't. It was a dysfunctional Church in a dysfunctional society.

Catholicism in general though has never said "You are no longer a Catholic if you are not following all the rules". It couldn't do.....the whole religion is built on the concept of forgiveness and redemption etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Even the language here is offenxive to gay people I would imagine.
    'homosexual 'tendencies'???

You are either gay or you are not, I would have thought.

Ah now, there is a poster around here somewhere that reckons no one is 100% straight which must conversely mean that they are a bit gay.

You clearly aren't able to make head nor tail of the ESS figures.

Here's a chart from the BBC, also based on the ESS figures.

I'll wait for you to tell the BBC that they're wrong now as well.

We Irish have a habit of lying to foreigners especially those English feckers.
    Sure I would swear bling to saying the rosary every other night just to screw with them.
    We'll never see a pope in ireland again IMO.
    And we'll be all the better for it.

What worries me is what is replacing him and his crowd. :(
    But that is a whole other debate.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Fact they are still trying to make Mother Teresa a Saint says alot about the church, she was a monster

I thought that they had already made the old hoor a saint?

She was an evil witch.
    Also much loved by JP II like the slimeball Fr Maciel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Honest question - why do intelligent Irish people protect the church so strongly despite everything even when at the same time dismissing church rules at will?
    Is it the fear of death and needing the church for constant reassurances that there is a happy afterlife if they do a, b and c? Are there a myriad of reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Plenty of ppl are far from devout but regard themselves as, and loudly proclaim themselves catholic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Apparently anybody who watched the Pope on tv got a partial indulgence. Happy days.

Hmmm, are they on donedeal yet?

Plenty of ppl are far from devout but regard themselves as, and loudly proclaim themselves catholic

But they aren't. They cannot be and break the rules.

It would be like a vegan chomping on a burger, they might lie to themselves and others, but the truth is self evident.

The truth is staring you straight in the face all weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The two are mutually exclusive
    You are not a catholic if you make up your own mind.
    That's protestantism.

It's hilarious that someone professing to be a catholic hasn't a clue what it actually means.

What's with the obsession on labels? Look as long as you're not harming people so your own thing.

But they aren't. They cannot be and break the rules.

It would be like a vegan chomping on a burger, they might lie to themselves and others, but the truth is self evident.

The truth is staring you straight in the face all weekend.

Loads of them break the rules and still consider themselves Catholics. I find it hard to believe that you feel you can deny someone their freedom to choose what religion they are.

Loads of them break the rules and still consider themselves Catholics. I find it hard to believe that you feel you can deny someone their freedom to choose what religion they are.

They are not Catholics. Denying doesn't come into it, they disqualify themselves.

How do you think you are going to heaven if you are breaking most of the entry requirements?

Serious question. How does that delusion work, can you explain how you do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

He's not denying anyone the right to choose their religion. He is pointing out though if you don't practice the faith of your church it's illogical to describe yourself as an acolyte of that faith. Much the same as claiming to be vegan but having the odd glass of cow's milk.

• Advertisement

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    He's not denying anyone the right to choose their religion. He is pointing out though if you don't practice the faith of your church it's illogical to describe yourself as an acolyte of that faith. Much the same as claiming to be vegan but having the odd glass of cow's milk.

Well I suppose that’s for ppl to ponder themselves. I think ppl should have freedom of religion and it’s protected rightfully so in my opinion, in the constitution.

I couldn’t care less what religion someone is or how well or badly they practice it. And if motivates them to doing good, fair play to em.

Advertisement