Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drought/Low Rainfall Watch - Summer 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

MJohnston wrote: »
    You can get recent satellite images and older ones via https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov

You can also use the Dundee University satellite downlink station website (http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/)

I signed up to this years ago and there, you can get a variety of satellite images from the archives.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Good tweet here which highlights just how little impact the recent rainfalls have had on the drought:

https://twitter.com/EPACatchments/status/1022087411269074944

It also reminds you that it's not about the reservoir levels being low, but the fact that their source rivers are drying up. That's what will cause our water supplies such long-range problems:

EPA-LA-hydrometric-map-23-7-18.png?w=1000&ssl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I wonder will the Shannon still flood this year if we get a spell of heavy rain.

Some nice prolonged rain in south Sligo. We have been pretty lucky with rain, amazing growth over the last few days.

Well for any fields that already had a bit of cover, bare ground will need a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Very heavy shower in cork city right now! Badly needed! First heavy rain since May 12th! Badly needed. The ground looks like autumn with all the leaves.

Raining very heavy for the last 30minutes in south Sligo, overflowing gutters on the shed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭The_Outsider

That band of rain topped us off @ 44.2mm.
    Bloody delighted to see it to be honest!
    Happy plants now and hopefully a bit of pressure off the farmers here on the west coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

I never thought that I would ever say that in Ireland, but I'm insanely happy that it is bucketing down here in East Clare. :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

about an hour of light rain here in mid limerick,,gone now..land seriously parched..not enough rain at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Very heavy shower in cork city right now! Badly needed! First heavy rain since May 12th! Badly needed. The ground looks like autumn with all the leaves.

What about the thunderstorms on the night of 27th May?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

An immense amount of rain today from what I only expected to be 5mm at most, we got 21.8mm! West Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

MidMan25 wrote: »
    What about the thunderstorms on the night of 27th May?

Yeah I thought that was the 12th, my bad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Heavenly, heavenly rain.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

270WIN wrote: »
    about an hour of light rain here in mid limerick,,gone now..land seriously parched..not enough rain at all

Still raining at University of Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Around 15mm of rain in Sligo

50mm by Sunday id say for North.

Hope theres a deep low Monday as they shove all the jet up North and more warmth results.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Looks like thats it for us with just 4.3mm falling in Waterford City. Temp still a mild 17.8c but that will fall overnight.

www.waterfordweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm in Donegal next week with the family on holidays. I want sunshine.

Last time we were there it rained so heavy for 3 days we couldn't get out of the car!
    Don't mind if it rains until then..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Further rain brought us to 25mm in West Clare. 5x what I was expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Still dry in Maynooth, the front looks like its all but disintegrated at this stage so looks like we'll escape until tomorrow night

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

nothing here but a few spits of drizzle, not even wetting the ground properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Plenty more rain to come. Significant rain for some. Definite relief in store for agriculture anyway. Very heavy rain from a slow moving system Saturday night until Sunday lunch country wide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Heavenly, heavenly rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

An hour of heavy drizzle in Wexford and that seems to be it. Still 18c outside and very muggy.

A heavy shower during the night in south Drogheda, that’s it , so dry out , hope we get more today .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

No rain here in Glasnevin overnight; a slight bit of drizzle this morning but the ground's not even damp. It's 18.2C and cloudy. There was even a little bit of sunshine peering through the clouds this morning.

We got a brief heavy shower in Kilkenny last night, - it was over before we knew it. That brings our entire rainfall for the month of July so far to 8.2mm. It's like Arizona here. Hoping for a good drenching this weekend because it is so badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

When yesterday's total is added in Athenry is only about 40 mm shy of the mean for July . Will probably end up around the mean after weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

inthehat wrote: »
    We got a brief heavy shower in Kilkenny last night, - it was over before we knew it. That brings our entire rainfall for the month of July so far to 8.2mm. It's like Arizona here. Hoping for a good drenching this weekend because it is so badly needed.

Carlow, Kilkenny, south Kildare, Wexford and east Waterford have really borne the brunt of this- absolutely scorched for weeks on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Plenty more to come over the weekend for the south, July will be ending up wetter than average in places at this rate

84-777UK_pop3.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Advertisement

South Sligo, got almost 2 inches in a few hours yesterday. Usually leave out a basin overnight just to see what the rain was like have never seen it fill so quickly.

Advertisement