Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drought/Low Rainfall Watch - Summer 2018

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭pauldry

This weekend looks wet in many parts of Ireland but Im not altogether convinced the good weather is gone. Even today was a grand day in the Northwest. A very passable Summers Day of 19c which are my favorite ones.

Early next week that massive Scandi High may attempt to link up with Azores High.

Also some very warm air in North Leinster Thursday could result in 29c there while most other areas will see at least 22c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

I actually recorded 0.2mm rain this lunchtime which I hadn't noticed at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭pauldry

put a lid on it before it evaporates

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Manitoban wrote: »
    Interested in this too, supposed to be camping Friday to Sunday in Wicklow!

it should be ok , we re going to stick to going today but looking at sky's weather chart they only have some rain on the west coast on thursday which looks like it would burn out quickly and possibly some showers on friday but seems kind of random

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,099 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

silverharp wrote: »
    it should be ok , we re going to stick to going today but looking at sky's weather chart they only have some rain on the west coast on thursday which looks like it would burn out quickly and possibly some showers on friday but seems kind of random

Have you seen any hints how it will be in Leinster on Saturday ? We have a big event and some sunny moments would be lovely . Even dry bright would do !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭highdef

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Have you seen any hints how it will be in Leinster on Saturday ? We have a big event and some sunny moments would be lovely . Even dry bright would do !

Leinster covers a pretty large area with very different weather often encountered at any one time. Can you be more specific, even a town name?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

My opinion is the drought is about to fully end in coming days.

Going on model outputs the country will be crossed in its entirety by a sequence of weather fronts from Friday night onwards over a period of several days. Each system will bring more rainfall than the one preceding it as pressure drops. There will also be periods of much cooler air with westerly:northwesterly air-flows. Late next week warm air may push back, but no sign of a heat wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,099 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

highdef wrote: »
    Leinster covers a pretty large area with very different weather often encountered at any one time. Can you be more specific, even a town name?

Dublin in the morning and then Athy later on in afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Going on model outputs the country will be crossed in its entirety by a sequence of weather fronts from Friday night onwards over a period of several days. Each system will bring more rainfall than the one preceding it as pressure drops. There will also be periods of much cooler air with westerly:northwesterly air-flows. Late next week warm air may push back, but no sign of a heat wave.

I hope that your rainfall prediction is accurate. The country badly needs a lot of rainfall to make up for the long period of no rainfall whatsoever.

A good period of unsettled weather would be welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think the warm air might come back quicker than you think!

Harmonie has some very heavy bursts of rain for Thursday night but not very widespread so it will be hit and miss. Saturday night into Sunday might offer some more hope for widespread relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Soil moisture deficits are around 75mm in large parts of the country - you think this weekend will drop that much rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Status Yellow - Weather Advisory for Munster and Leinster

Soil moisture deficits will remain in excess of 70mm in many parts of Leinster and Munster. Next update Wednesday 1st August.

Issued: Wednesday 25 July 2018 15:00

Updated: Wednesday 25 July 2018 15:00

Valid from Wednesday 25 July 2018 15:00 to Wednesday 01 August 2018 15:00

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

how is a 'soil moisture deficit ' a weather warning ?, is a soil moisture deficit an immediate danger to people? , is that not the purpouse of weather warnings ? , hands up if i'm mistaken .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Oops69 wrote: »
    how is a 'soil moisture deficit ' a weather warning ?, is a soil moisture deficit an immediate danger to people? , is that not the purpouse of weather warnings ? , hands up if i'm mistaken .

We've experiencing a soil moisture deficit all Summer. It's the reason why everything is turning brown and why river levels are very low. It's only a threat to farmers because to need moist soil to grow crops.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Oops69 wrote: »

It’s not a warning, it’s an advisory and it affects us all as it means water supplies remain low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

How's tomorrow's rain looking now on the short range models?
    Is it still dwindling away?

YR forecast for here dropped from 28mm a few days ago to <2mm now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

High cloud obscuring the satellite view of Ireland today but the first day in a while that England has been clear, looking more like southern Spain at the moment!

Screen_Shot_2018_07_25_at_20_09_27.png

• Registered Users Posts: 29,185 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Along that note GFS going for a ridiculous amount of rain on Sunday, but Arpege showing about 12 hours less of it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Along that note GFS going for a ridiculous amount of rain on Sunday, but Arpege showing about 12 hours less of it.

How much is a ridiculous amount?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

How much is a ridiculous amount?

I don't have access to cumulative, but this....

Thats flooding potential there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

One extreme to another,yip thats 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Here's hoping for a very wet weekend before high pressure builds again next week as this memorable summer goes on.
    The long range forecast on BBC News 24 at 2155 showed high pressure centred just to the NW of Ireland (similar to what we saw in June) so temperatures back into the high 20s in western areas again I would think.

fax96s.gif?2

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Farmer2017

Here's hoping for a very wet weekend before high pressure builds again next week as this memorable summer goes on.
    The long range forecast on BBC News 24 at 2155 showed high pressure centred just to the NW of Ireland (similar to what we saw in June) so temperatures back into the high 20s in western areas again I would think.

fax96s.gif?2
    I hope this high disappears for next week. Rain s needed v badly. We’re on verge of losing our livelihood with this drought as winter feed s next to nothing due to feeding it out. I so sick of 2018 wish it was over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Daffodil.d wrote: »
    it reminds me of the beginning of interstellar. If anyone has seen this film. The earth has become parched but its dealt with in a very realistic way. Hpw would we cope in this situation

On that note...........

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/uknews/giant-liquid-water-lake-found-under-martian-ice/ar-BBL2qO6?li=BBr5HCU

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Oh dear, just when we are going on a well earned short staycation around the Barrow.

I hope it will not be a washout from Tuesday to Sat next week. Sad emoji....

But I do realise that rain is so needed. But NOT while I'm away please!

D8A37C75-1349-41B5-ABAF-1D9C3337E80A.jpeg

A12AFC32-9C67-443D-92F1-F848AA27341F.jpeg

The fields beside me on east coast tonight (Louth) . We need rain , a lot of it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭xper

The organisers of the Bray Air Show must be in tears. To get that coming at you in a summer like this one.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

The extent of rainfall has greatly reduced on the 0z run.

Advertisement