Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drought/Low Rainfall Watch - Summer 2018

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Not a drop of rain here since the moderate fall last Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Not a drop of rain here since the moderate fall last Sunday.

You got lucky with that. All we had in the city and by my area in west cork was a light drizzle that added to about 3mm only. Wonder what the record for the driest year in cork is? I’d say we are near it at this point if not surpassed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

You got lucky with that. All we had in the city and by my area in west cork was a light drizzle that added to about 3mm only. Wonder what the record for the driest year in cork is? I’d say we are near it at this point if not surpassed

Most of what fell in my area last Sunday was light drizzly stuff but there were a few bursts of moderate rain. Don't know what the record for driest year in Cork is, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Do you mean driest Summer?

Driest year on record at Cork Airport was 2010 with an annual total of 904.7mm, just 76% of its average rainfall. Up to 18th July, it has seen 649.1mm and 5 months to go. April 2018 was its second wettest on record.

Ah yeah meant summer. Whoops!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

6mm from this mornings rain.

Ah yeah meant summer. Whoops!

Up to 19th July, Cork Airport has recorded 15.4mm of rain for Summer 2018. Its driest overall Summer on record is 1995 which had 114.0mm of rain. Here's every Summer's rainfall total that Cork Airport has recorded up to 2017 (including August in the totals) since 1962. Cork Airport needs to record 98.7mm from now to 31st August to surpass Summer 1995's total and not be a record breaker. However, as it stands, Summer 2018 is Cork Airport's driest Summer on record which is kind of surprising to see given the overall trend of Summer rainfall of the 21st century so far at the station.

gmT3Kkz.png

Data comes from Met Éireann.

Amazing thanks sryan! Really enjoying all the detail you provide and how you answer questions, really great!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Up to 19th July, Cork Airport has recorded 15.4mm of rain for Summer 2018. Its driest overall Summer on record is 1995 which had 114.0mm of rain. Here's every Summer's rainfall total that Cork Airport has recorded up to 2017 (including August in the totals) since 1962. Cork Airport needs to record 98.7mm from now to 31st August to surpass Summer 1995's total and not be a record breaker. However, as it stands, Summer 2018 is Cork Airport's driest Summer on record which is kind of surprising to see given the overall trend of Summer rainfall of the 21st century so far at the station.

Would you happen to know what the average rainfall for that same period usually is?

MJohnston wrote: »
    Would you happen to know what the average rainfall for that same period usually is?

These are Cork Airport's Summer rainfall total averages - if you mean the whole of the Summer. The first average is an overall station average based on its Summers it has recorded whilst the next two are the 30 year averages, the latter obviously being the one Met Éireann uses in their monthly summaries for % of average. No matter which of the below averages to use,

1962-2017 average: 245.7mm
    1971-2000 average: 229.0mm
    1981-2010 average: 257.5mm

Just for fun sakes, here's averages specifically for the 1st June to 19th July period at Cork Airport:

1962-2017 average: 125.3mm
    1971-2000 average: 109.4mm
    1981-2010 average: 132.1mm

Last but not least, some fun facts on the 1st June to 19th July period history in terms of rainfall at Cork Airport. The wettest was 2012 with 310.9mm which had completely smashed the previous record of 237.8mm in 2007. The driest was 2006 with 43.3mm and this was also the last time when the period in question had a rainfall total below 100mm so 2018 is highly unusual. 2018 has smashed 2006's record of 43.3mm now with 15.4mm for the period.

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote: »
    These are Cork Airport's Summer rainfall total averages - if you mean the whole of the Summer. The first average is an overall station average based on its Summers it has recorded whilst the next two are the 30 year averages, the latter obviously being the one Met Éireann uses in their monthly summaries for % of average. No matter which of the below averages to use,

1962-2017 average: 245.7mm
    1971-2000 average: 229.0mm
    1981-2010 average: 257.5mm

Just for fun sakes, here's averages specifically for the 1st June to 19th July period at Cork Airport:

1962-2017 average: 125.3mm
    1971-2000 average: 109.4mm
    1981-2010 average: 132.1mm

Last but not least, some fun facts on the 1st June to 19th July period history in terms of rainfall at Cork Airport. The wettest was 2012 with 310.9mm which had completely smashed the previous record of 237.8mm in 2007. The driest was 2006 with 43.3mm and this was also the last time when the period in question had a rainfall total below 100mm so 2018 is highly unusual. 2018 has smashed 2006's record of 43.3mm now with 15.4mm for the period.

I was actually thinking of the inverse of your figures, ie. what's the average amount of rainfall between 20th July and 31st August.

In other words, if Cork needs to record 98.7mm for the rest of the summer, would that be an above average amount of rainfall for that period?

I've just realised though that I can subtract the 1st June-19th July figures from the whole summer figures to get what I'm looking for. It looks like it'd be around 120mm in all 3 cases. So with an average amount of rainfall for the remainder of the summer, Cork Airport would not be the driest summer at that station.

I was actually thinking of the inverse of your figures, ie. what's the average amount of rainfall between 20th July and 31st August.

In other words, if Cork needs to record 98.7mm for the rest of the summer, would that be an above average amount of rainfall for that period?

Ah, I'll work on averages for that period then.

I've just realised though that I can subtract the 1st June-19th July figures from the whole summer figures to get what I'm looking for. It looks like it'd be around 120mm in all 3 cases. So with an average amount of rainfall for the remainder of the summer, Cork Airport would not be the driest summer at that station.

Ok so here they are for 20th July to 31st August:

1962-2017 average: 120.4mm
    1971-2000 average: 119.6mm
    1981-2010 average: 125.4mm

Driest such period was 1976 with 15.1mm whilst the wettest was 1986 with 276.9mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Dublin 5 got its first real rainfall this morning since early June. Maybe even the end of May. I'll have to cut the grass in a few days due to the rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Dublin 5 got its first real rainfall this morning since early June. Maybe even the end of May. I'll have to cut the grass in a few days due to the rain!

It started raining in Dublin 6/12 at about 02.00hrs and it was raining on and off to 07.00 hrs. I'm told that it stopped raining completely at about 13.00 hrs.

We needed that bout of rain. I just hope that out in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains that they got some of that same rainfall too. At this stage every single raindrop counts.

hinault wrote:
    We needed that bout of rain. I just hope that out in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains that they got some of that same rainfall too. At this stage every single raindrop counts.

All of the rain from the roof of my house comes down two downpipes at the back of my house. They run into the rainwater sewer and out to sea. Two weeks ago I covered both drains with plastic bags so water would run onto my back garden. It wasn't so much to water the grass but rather to put as much water into the water table as possible. On the grand scheme of things it won't make much difference to dublins water supply but I feel better about it.

As you say every drop counts

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A ten minute shower here, it's actually warm to the touch. Very humid and sticky outside. That bit of rain will do nothing to alleviate the drought conditions here in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

We have two water butts taking the rain off the roof and they are both overflowing now, after both having been empty, after last Sunday's and this morning's rain

Remarkable how many dark grey clouds have passed over D7 this evening without a drop of rain. I can think of many summers when the inverse would be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A beautiful day of rain in Bray. So badly needed. The first prolonged rain in many a week.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Up to 8mm here now. Be interesting to see the grass bounce back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Latest grass-growth figures by county (kg dry matter per hectare per day). Dublin practically stagnant.

456253.PNG

National average is well below the past two years.

https://twitter.com/PastureBase/status/1019554518399320064

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

A miserly 0.3mm here in Waterford City after a brief shower this morning.

www.waterfordweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Anyone know the totals for the Wicklow mountains today, or is that measured.

The all important area as far as Dublin is concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Very interesting how localised today's rainfall was in my district. Driving to Portlaoise this morning, mist and drizzle at home in Durrow, a tad heavier towards Abbeyleix and a deluge from there into Portlaoise. (mind you, it was the fine, small drops/heavy drizzle stuff). The rain stopped around 11am in Portlaoise but quickly resumed after lunch - there was even some sunshine in between and the sultriness in the air was unreal!
    Going back to Durrow this evening and it was the exact reverse, loughs of water on the N77 south as far as around 2 miles north of Abbeyleix then like someone drew a line in the road, back into pretty much dryness.
    Back home in Durrow, a mist shower gave 1mm in the AWS (following the 1.3mm manual gauge of last night) around 3.30pm, but this had mostly evaporated again.
    Went to a local hurling match this evening, and despite the air temps of 18.1c it felt cold. There was a light NW breeze but you could feel the damp clinging into your clothes. RH was 83% at the time.
    Anyways, it was an unusual day, probably moreso following the very dryness of the last six to eight weeks. It felt like the Atlantic airmass had finally returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The higher altitude gauges usually are only measured once a month IIRC.

You'd imagine IW have access to water levels at all the reservoirs up there, but sadly there's no official weather station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

All good news to wake to. Just Cork and nearby now....

Advertisement