Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drought/Low Rainfall Watch - Summer 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Yesterday at 10am the manual gauge had 1.3mm, this morning at 10am it was just 0.7mm. So a paltry total of 2mm from that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

another scorcher down here today. any cloud now gone and clear blue sky. grass everywhere now fully yellow. I reckon there have been about 2 non beach days down here since about 14 June

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

another scorcher down here today. any cloud now gone and clear blue sky. grass everywhere now fully yellow. I reckon there have been about 2 non beach days down here since about 14 June

Damn that's rough, in Sligo we have had mostly cloudy weather for the past week, the sun is powerful when it comes out but mostly it's been all cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Yet another 0mm in the gauge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Any rain in Galway/Mayo/Sligo currently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Another warm, dry day in Cork. Can’t see any rain coming soon that could level our drought with the rest of the country. Wednesday totals look to be diminishing a bit each run

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I don't normally ask this, but what are the chances of staying dry in Leinster till tomorrow evening, starting new job tomorrow and it's outdoors,prisaption charts all giving a different outlook
    Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Curracloe beach evacuated, people asked not to go near it as the grass and scrub on the dunes is on fire,if it spreads to the forest beside it then there's gonna be a major problem.

Edit, seems like some d1ckheads lit a barbecue in the dunes,then ran. Videos posted on Facebook showing the blaze headed to the car park and out of control as people try to get cars out of it's path.
    As usual, there's eejits asking if the beach is still open as they planned to head there for the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Anyone know where those satellite images of Ireland are, saw them in one of the threads a few days ago but can’t recall which one. They were of Ireland a month ago and then now how burned it looks. Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Curracloe beach evacuated, people asked not to go near it as the grass and scrub on the dunes is on fire,if it spreads to the forest beside it then there's gonna be a major problem.

Edit, seems like some d1ckheads lit a barbecue in the dunes,then ran. Videos posted on Facebook showing the blaze headed to the car park and out of control as people try to get cars out of it's path.
    As usual, there's eejits asking if the beach is still open as they planned to head there for the afternoon.

https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2018/0722/980346-curracloe-beach-fire/

Under control thankfully

My old haunt in Kerry suffering too.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/fire-service-tasked-killarney-national-park-yesterday/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Any rain in Galway/Mayo/Sligo currently?

Tuesday was the only day that really saw rain in Mayo this week and beside some spots of misty drizzle it has been dry since.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

vicwatson wrote: »
    Anyone know where those satellite images of Ireland are, saw them in one of the threads a few days ago but can’t recall which one. They were of Ireland a month ago and then now how burned it looks. Tia

You can get recent satellite images and older ones via https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭pauldry

In Sligo rained most days since Tuesday but 0 to 3mm about each day n then today roasting.

Think proper rain is very close now though weeks of rain not on the horizon at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

There have been a few posted over the course of this thread and some in the heatwave thread, if you look back through the pages you'll find them all.

Here's two I posted

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107416005&postcount=214

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107486012&postcount=340

Xenji wrote: »
    Tuesday was the only day that really saw rain in Mayo this week and beside some spots of misty drizzle it has been dry since.

We have had actual rain out here almost every day. West Mayo offshore island.

In the early hours this morning, loud on the roof and puddles...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Actual mist here in the drought affected area of west cork. Ground is still rock hard and it’s expected to burn off fast but hey. Driving to the city now so will see.

Edit: Small bit up the road from the coast and it’s bone dry still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

There was a bit of drizzle here this morning. The ground is damp. There was actually 0.4mm rain recorded overnight. The sun is currently shining although it's mostly cloudy. It was a very mild night. The low was 17.9C. It's currently 18.8C with RH of 88%.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Graces7 wrote: »
    We have had actual rain out here almost every day. West Mayo offshore island.

In the early hours this morning, loud on the roof and puddles...

I would of liked to have seen some of that pushing further into the county, although we have nearly had 6mm so far today.

Xenji wrote: »
    I would of liked to have seen some of that pushing further into the county, although we have nearly had 6mm so far today.

I know but I don;t have enough puff! Would love to send it to Cork! We have been so blessed.. Never yellow grass etc

West Mayo; offshore island, land of the midges!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Graces7 wrote: »
    I know but I don;t have enough puff! Would love to send it to Cork! We have been so blessed.. Never yellow grass etc

West Mayo; offshore island, land of the midges!

We got about half an hour of rain on Friday evening,99% of it evaporated within the next few minutes once it stopped falling.
    The only place I saw green grass since early June was in a normally boggy corner of a field,the farmer was baling it today. Even that field has dried out,the grass won't regrow for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Great bit of heavy rain in South Dublin last evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Great bit of heavy rain in South Dublin last evening.

the Doggo wanted to go out last night so sat by the door. I said no doggo, its raining.

The look of pure confusion on doggo's face when I said raining. He stood there looking at be in disbelief with his head cocked to one side blinking.

Rain - doggo, its wet. but he insisted so I let him out, only for him to get rained on, and he stood looking at the sky with the same pure confusion on his face blinking.

What is this "rain" you speak of and why is it falling on my head?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

it reminds me of the beginning of interstellar. If anyone has seen this film. The earth has become parched but its dealt with in a very realistic way. Hpw would we cope in this situation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Daffodil.d wrote: »
    it reminds me of the beginning of interstellar. If anyone has seen this film. The earth has become parched but its dealt with in a very realistic way. Hpw would we cope in this situation

We won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

was going to take junior camping for 2 night later in the week but Met have heavy rain for friday (wickow) so we are going to go tomorrow and thursday instead and finish up friday morning, is there anything big rolling in or just something that might end up just being a few summer showers?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Manitoban

silverharp wrote: »
    was going to take junior camping for 2 night later in the week but Met have heavy rain for friday (wickow) so we are going to go tomorrow and thursday instead and finish up friday morning, is there anything big rolling in or just something that might end up just being a few summer showers?

Interested in this too, supposed to be camping Friday to Sunday in Wicklow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

sryanbruen wrote: »

I'm not totally convinced by this , ripe wheat fields and fields of cut grass will look like this every year anyway , drought or none .

Advertisement