Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drought/Low Rainfall Watch - Summer 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Forecast for next week looks very nice indeed.

Good, I'm fed up of all this bloody rain. Must be 3 minutes now. At least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

JJayoo wrote: »
    South Sligo, got almost 2 inches in a few hours yesterday. Usually leave out a basin overnight just to see what the rain was like have never seen it fill so quickly.

South Sligo has an inch so far today and I could imagine the current rain, heavy mist, will last the night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

kenmc wrote: »
    Good, I'm fed up of all this bloody rain. Must be 3 minutes now. At least.

68343708.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Radar showing rain over athlone yet not a drop falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Lashing now in North County Dublin. I actually forgot how nice it is to hear the sound of rain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

California is ablaze.. shocking sight. We are so blessed.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2018/0728/981655-california-wildfires/

The whole scene is fire.

After a pleasant sunny day, sheeting loud rain. Has the direction changed since earlier?

West Mayo. offshore island

Well we finally got a good soaking here in county Kilkenny - more than 20mm over the past couple of days so that's a big help for fields and rivers. And we're expecting a few more showers tomorrow.
    And then - hopefully back to a nice sunny week next week :)

inthehat wrote: »
    Well we finally got a good soaking here in county Kilkenny - more than 20mm over the past couple of days so that's a big help for fields and rivers. And we're expecting a few more showers tomorrow.
    And then - hopefully back to a nice sunny week next week :)

If the soil moisture deficit was running at 75mm or so before the rain came, then 20 mm of rainfall is only partial relief. Plenty more is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

If the soil moisture deficit was running at 75mm or so before the rain came, then 20 mm of rainfall is only partial relief. Plenty more is needed.

I would imagine it's far from a case of simply 75mm minus 20mm either. When there's really heavy rain, there's bound to be a huge amount of straight runoff that has no chance to be absorbed.

• Advertisement

That's true Cork Boy, - my head knows only too well that we need a lot more rain but my heart yearns for those lovely warm dry evenings that we got used to over the past while.

Loved the rain-lullaby last night.

inthehat wrote: »
    That's true Cork Boy, - my head knows only too well that we need a lot more rain but my heart yearns for those lovely warm dry evenings that we got used to over the past while.

Well it looks as if you will get your wish by the end of next week if the forecast is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Graces7 wrote: »
    California is ablaze.. shocking sight. We are so blessed.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2018/0728/981655-california-wildfires/

The whole scene is fire.

If it had gone like that last week of June, we wouldn't have been too far behind in the south east especially.

According to http://www.kilkennyweather.com/ 39.2mm for this month, also
    https://www.carlowweather.com/ 43.9mm

road_high wrote: »
    If it had gone like that last week of June, we wouldn't have been too far behind in the south east especially.

i know.

I lived in Kerry alongside the National Park that bad year there and at night there were fires in every direction.

This year here has been far worse. The aerial images of the beach fire last week.

Family in BC Canada tell me that fires over there have been raging over a year. There are warning signs on all the roads and behaviour like lighting a camp fire or barbecue would get them arrested.

But, as they say, they have so much space there whereas Ireland is so small

I have not asked what we do in the event of fire here on the island as I am quite sure they know what they are doing in any emergency

But the California fire. they said early today t had increased by 1/3 overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Grass is still very brown black here.
    I can't see it coming back rather new grass and probably weeds will take its place.
    I know some say grass is resiliant but it's not dormant it's dead

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

The grass here in Sligo is a lush green.

Perfect id say but rivers are still very low.

This week prob another 20mm here before next dry spell

Grass is still very brown black here.
    I can't see it coming back rather new grass and probably weeds will take its place.
    I know some say grass is resiliant but it's not dormant it's dead

It’ll take a long time and a lot more rain

road_high wrote: »
    It’ll take a long time and a lot more rain

which we are getting in West Mayo... deluges during the night...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Are any regions still looking for rain?

South Sligo has had a ridiculous amount over the last 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I presume eastern regions still need a lot more rain, I received 25-30mm since the weather turned unsettled so still a huge soil moisture deficit, about 70mm I'd say?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Midlands here and only got about 20mm total last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Still large amounts of cork in a deficit. While we had a lot, plenty of ground is still pretty hard and dry

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Still large amounts of cork in a deficit. While we had a lot, plenty of ground is still pretty hard and dry

Hard and dry in summer ? Is that not what we would expect ?

Thread title probably needs to be changed to reflect the areas that now are still genuinely experiencing drought conditions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

km79 wrote: »

Thread title probably needs to be changed to reflect the areas that now are still genuinely experiencing drought conditions

Nobody is officially experiencing a drought because that ends with rain. There are moisture deficits and reservoir deficits still though.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Nobody is officially experiencing a drought because that ends with rain. There are moisture deficits and reservoir deficits still though.
    Mets yellow warning was changed to remove those areas/half of the country no longer experiencing drought like conditions which was why this thread was opened I believe

No need for rain watch in Connacht now
    It’s raininga little or a lot every day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Mets yellow warning was changed to remove those areas/half of the country no longer experiencing drought like conditions which was why this thread was opened I believe

No need for rain watch in Connacht now
    It’s raininga little or a lot every day ;)

The thread was originally opened for stats on the drought (I also posted daily sunshine tables) but then it quickly turned into a chat about the grass and stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Grass is still very scarce on my farm near Limerick city but the fields are starting to turn green again. On Monday my nearest station Shannon Airport picked up 11.4mm of rainfall from a series of showers including 6mm in 1 hour from a heavy shower. In my location I don’t think I got anymore than 0.4mm of rainfall during the whole day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Grass is still very scarce on my farm near Limerick city but the fields are starting to turn green again. On Monday my nearest station Shannon Airport picked up 11.4mm of rainfall from a series of showers including 6mm in 1 hour from a heavy shower. In my location I don’t think I got anymore than 0.4mm of rainfall during the whole day.
    You need to move the farm :D

Advertisement