Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drought/Low Rainfall Watch - Summer 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Meanwhile the UK is set to hit 38c today

Does anyone have any links for live UK temperatures

UK Met Office used to have one but now all I find is a map

Like Met Eireann their old website was better in many ways

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Plenty more to come over the weekend for the south, July will be ending up wetter than average in places at this rate

Just a quick calculation of how far below averages a small selection of stations around the country are (all figures for rainfall in mm, Data from Met Eireann):

Station | 30 Year Average | July so far | Differential | Driest July on Record
    Cork Airport | 78.8 | 13.2 | -65.6 | 12.0
    Shannon Airport | 65.9 | 22.5 | -43.4 | 12.6
    Belmullet | 79.0 | 25.5 | -53.5 | 24.7
    Malin Head | 76.8 | 44.3 | -32.5 | 16.5
    Dublin Airport | 56.2 | 15.8 | -40.4 | 9.2
    Casement | 54.2 | 9.0 | -45.2 | 8.6
    Johnstown Castle (comparing with Rosslare for average) | 49.9 | 9.2 | -40.7 | 6.6
    Valencia | 99.0 | 38.5 | -60.5 | 9.1
    Mullingar | 61.8 | 18.2 | -43.6 | 14.8

If syranbruen has the driest July figures for these stations, I'd love to put them in the table too.

Huge Variation in Sligos rain yesterday

As mentioned above South Sligo had nearly 50mm in some areas
    Markree only 6.5mm
    Sligo town 20mm

You would need 100 weather stations in Co Sligo to get any consistency with our many micro climates!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Loud heavy rain suddenly. A positive downpour!
    Just beat it home as I was at the shore with the dog when a few drops started..

Lovely familiar drumming on the roof... ! Glorious!

West Mayo; offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

MJohnston wrote: »
    Just a quick calculation of how far below averages a small selection of stations around the country are (all figures for rainfall in mm):

If syranbruen has the driest July figures for these stations, I'd love to put them in the table too.

Station|Driest July on record total (mm)|Year
    Cork Airport|12.0|1989
    Shannon Airport|12.6|1983
    Belmullet|24.7|1989
    Malin Head|16.5|1982
    Dublin Airport|9.2|1982
    Casement Aerodrome|8.6|1982
    Rosslare|6.6|1979
    Valentia Observatory|9.1|1955
    Mullingar|14.8|1983

I did Rosslare instead of Johnstown Castle.

Data comes from Met Éireann.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Here is a chart showing the 28 day running mean rainfall total for the nation as a whole (2018 data up to yesterday) I have included data from 1976 also to compare our current dry spell against:

mmxWhY3.png

What I found interesting about the infamous drought back in '76 is that it didn't really get going until late July into August, and by all accounts, proved to be quite severe, possibly more so than the current/recent spell.

What is also very interesting for me is how the exceptional dry spell back in late Summer '76 was followed by an extraordinarily wet one during the following Autumn.

Data and stuff from Met Éireann.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

pauldry wrote: »
    Meanwhile the UK is set to hit 38c today

Does anyone have any links for live UK temperatures

UK Met Office used to have one but now all I find is a map

Like Met Eireann their old website was better in many ways
    Netweather's current top 20 isn't a bad source. A 38c looks out of the question today.
    https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/top-20/maxt

it sure does

its "only" 33.2c

Very severe downpour in Tuam with tots closing in on 20mm in as many minuites

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Very severe downpour in Tuam with tots closing in on 20mm in as many minuites

You are probably lying out in it LOL

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    You are probably lying out in it LOL

Looking at the radar, looks like you could be in for a similar downpour soon.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Its on Sky News about flooding in Claregalway

What I found interesting about the infamous drought back in '76 is that it didn't really get going until late July into August, and by all accounts, proved to be quite severe, possibly more so than the current/recent spell.

Probably because the May to July period of 1976 wasn't nearly as dry as 2018. It was August that was exceptionally dry really of that Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Met earanns have removed the rain warning for Leinster ect.
    Wonder if they are updating it

Looking at the radar, looks like you could be in for a similar downpour soon.

Got It in athenry Town
    Couldn’t leave the car for 10 minutes
    I live 15 km further east and now I’m sitting outside the house in the car waiting for a similar downpour to stop

So lucky I got to “enjoy “ this twice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Been raining down in west cork (Rosscarbery area) since about 12 pm non stop. Not sure what it’s like in the City!

ZX7R wrote: »
    Met earanns have removed the rain warning for Leinster ect.
    Wonder if they are updating it

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1022859710200983554

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Updated now and includes Connacht surprise surprise

http://archive.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Not a drop of rain here in Waterford city

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

must say met.ie was on form this week, they had friday pegged for rain so moved forward a camping trip i was planning so we would be finished up friday morning, sure enough started raining around midnght (glendalough area) , area got a good soaking didnt look like it had rained in dublin

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Makes sense because it’s literally Been non stop raining here in cork

Hey it was badly needed in cork I suppose, the ground was totally dried up and cracking

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Weather gods pleeeease send some decent rain this weekend to Dublin. My water butt is empty, my tomatoes/veggies/fruit bushes and trees are sad looking..

Wind SE which usually is good for rain here here, hoping it stays that way if/when the rain arrives here finally.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Heavens opened up even more in Cork. Its like all the rain we were missing is suddenly falling. Grass will be back in no time. Just once the blessed warmth and blue skies returns next week.

Heavens opened up even more in Cork. Its like all the rain we were missing is suddenly falling.
    Leave some for us in KK :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Not convinced about the grass.
    I see a lot of brown grass turning black rather than green

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Grass is extremely resilient, some will have died off during the drought but it will quickly start to produce new shoots now.

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Grass is extremely resilient, some will have died off during the drought but it will quickly start to produce new shoots now.

Already happening here over the past week
    This will bring on the edges of lawn now I’d imagine
    Gonna be fun trying to cut it next week !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

How long is the silly old rain supposed to hang around for before we get back to normal warm, sunny weather? Not used to having to choose clothes anymore, T-shirt & shorts for weeks now

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Supercell wrote: »
    Weather gods pleeeease send some decent rain this weekend to Dublin. My water butt is empty, my tomatoes/veggies/fruit bushes and trees are sad looking..

Wind SE which usually is good for rain here here, hoping it stays that way if/when the rain arrives here finally.

Yep same here my little crops are crying out in cracked earth. I’d no cherry crop at all this year first time ever, but on the Upside I’ve the most amazing watermelon plants from a discarded bbq party- but they need rain so here’s hoping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

kenmc wrote: »
    How long is the silly old rain supposed to hang around for before we get back to normal warm, sunny weather? Not used to having to choose clothes anymore, T-shirt & shorts for weeks now

Forecast for next week looks very nice indeed.

Advertisement