Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ire vs Aus - Test Number Three

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Poorside wrote: »
    The throw along with Toner suckering the Aus defence with a fake jump made that try, they all focused on Toner and it gave the half a second needed to get momentum.

But to even hit that kind of distance and land it on a pin, is not something you'll see again for a very long time. The aussies even got up for it, but it was just perfect. I know the line-out is a team thing, but that was superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I don’t understand Joes thinking regarding the scrum half replacemts.

A 3 game tour and Murray plays all but 2 mins of all 3 games.

Marmion comes on with 2mins to go only because Murray has started to lose the rag at the ref.

Marmion is then dropped and Cooney gets 1min when an injury to Sexton gets him on the pitch.

Marmion is back on the bench again and is again an unused sub.

At what point does a player like Marmion break and pack in international rugby ?

Sure he gets a trip to Aus out of it but I’m sure he’s been training his arse off everyday only to sit on his backside catching splinters.

At what point does the continued public display of mistrust in him affect his confidence and as a result his performances for his province.

It’s a bizarre situation to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

But to even hit that kind of distance and land it on a pin, is not something you'll see again for a very long time. The aussies even got up for it, but it was just perfect. I know the line-out is a team thing, but that was superb.

Herring threw one in the first test very similar IIRC

Well see you all next season. I need to switch off rugby for a while. Great tour though, really enjoyed it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

He did the very same on his first throw in the second test, I think he hit POM right on the 15 at the peak of the arc.... His darts have been top drawer in this series (apart from that dummy aberration)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Billy86 wrote: »
    Random aside and I can't remember at what point it was but this reminded me Kearney did an excellent job cleaning up when Stockdale (if I recall it was him?) messed up catching a high kick. Didn't see a replay of it but when Stockdale fumbled it backwards my heart leapt into my mouth for a second. :o

Found it, 2:50 here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le9ZqsGxgSA

Folau. Folau was why I near sh*t myself.

EDIT: Larmour's catch is just after 3:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Billy86 wrote: »
    I have no idea why, but I always had Larmour down as about 6'1 or a smidge above. Just looked it up there, indeed he's only 5'10.

Same. Dunno why but I always thought he was 6'1 or 2. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭bobbyss

loobylou wrote: »
    76% career success rate for Ireland.

Thanks. That includes up to today?

Would that be considered a good return for an international No 10?

I wonder how Wilkinson, Farrell, Jenkins, Ward and Cambell compare.

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yeah, I hate to stick in the dagger after a win, but Stockdale had a terrible game. Needs to go back and work on his basics. He definitely helped to pile pressure on his team at the wrong moments. I think he'll be lucky if he gets another shot at wing for a while.

He has all the physical attributes, but his basic catching and positioning are poor. He sees the big picture in attack, but it's pointless if you're knocking on under no pressure and are a bit out of your dept in defence.

In contrast larmour, a short lad without all of Stockdale's physical attributes played a clever game and did the basics really well.
    No he didn't. Nobody had a terrible game.

Stockdale had a good enough showing. Not his best, not his worst. He'll be picked again in the Autumn, his scoring record and ability speaks for itself.

At times he goes for the intercept in defence rather than the tackle. Not really a big issue, he has had pretty good success with this. If the coaches have a problem with it they'll tell him to stop it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Can't think of any Irish player that had a 'terrible game' to be honest. Stockdale didn't and neither did Toner.

Well, except Sean Cronin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Yeah, "terrible" is pretty hysterical. Mixed the good with the bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

Peregrine wrote: »
    Can't think of any Irish player that had a 'terrible game' to be honest. Stockdale didn't and neither did Toner.

Well, except Sean Cronin.

Nobody was terrible... but fatigue was evident in players like Furlong, Dev, Murray, Stockdale, and a few more...just struggled at times ...it's been a long, long season and they deserve a month or 2 off

Let just put it this way. Unless he's walking on water or there's injuries to Conway, Earls and Larmour. There's little to no chance of him starting the next international.

[I'll leave this here for the next international]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Let just put it this way. Unless he's walking on water or there's injuries to Conway, Earls and Larmour. There's little to no chance of him starting the next international.

Brave call. I like someone who puts their money where their mouth is.

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Larmour has little to no chance of starting the next international to be honest.

Conway, Stockdale and Earls. 2 of those 3 with Kearney at full back.

awec wrote: »
    Larmour has little to no chance of starting the next international to be honest.

Conway, Stockdale and Earls. 2 of those 3 with Kearney at full back.

I don't know about that either, Kearney was struck a huge blow by Larmour today, his performance was eclipsed today, who knows how this will develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Didn't get the best look at it in real time, but near the end of the game I thought I saw an Oz player lead with the elbow just like Stockdale but no penalty of anything, anyone else catch that?

Stockdale is 22. He has an incredible try scoring record and is far from the finished article but he is not going to be dropped IMO. He made a few errors but he did loads of good stuff too

Joe has shown he isn't afraid to stick with a player. John Ryan was deemed by many to be lucky to tour but he was one of the big winners from it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Shelflife wrote: »

Marmion comes on with 2mins to go only because Murray has started to lose the rag at the ref.

Marmion is then dropped and Cooney gets 1min when an injury to Sexton gets him on the pitch.

At what point does a player like Marmion break and pack in international rugby ?

Sure he gets a trip to Aus out of it but I’m sure he’s been training his arse off everyday only to sit on his backside catching splinters.

At what point does the continued public display of mistrust in him affect his confidence and as a result his performances for his province.

Throw in Luke McGrath too, on the bench for one of the six nations games, got no time, dropped for the next game, and heard via the team announcement to the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Cooney, Mcgrath and Marmion to start against NZ in the Autumn. #JoeCurveBall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Any highlights of the game on Irish tv tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Gritty performance far from perfect
    Dug out the win

Hope Campbell Slattery et al have a celebratory pint tonight
    💠off back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

Neil3030 wrote: »
    POM was down injured. Sexton was telling the ref something like, "when he's down I'm captain, I know you hate me but you have to go to me".

http://rugbylad.ie/johnny-sexton-referee-pascal-gauzerre-get-fiery-exchange-following-omahony-challenge/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭clsmooth

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CJay1

clsmooth wrote: »
    Sounds like ‘I know that you’re happy’ no?? :confused:

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Shelflife wrote: »

Marmion can't pack in international rugby, it's a fundamental part of his contract. I doubt it would ever come to that though.

I know this is a recurring thing but all three tests on this tour went to the wire. IIRC Marmion did get a bit of time in the 6N when the results were secured. Maybe if we'd closed out a game early, or been hammered, things might have been different.

What we saw after the first test is that people say they want rotation, but really results are all that matter. Joe is always walking a tightrope and pretty much any dip has people harking back to 2015.

It's unfortunate that we're going home none the wiser about Marmion, Cooney or Ross Byrne but overall it's been a good tour from a development perspective.

Luke McGrath will be delighted though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I felt the most sorry for Ross Byrne tbh. You hear interviews with lads like Stephen Ferris, when he talks about not getting a game at the world cup in France, he's still hurting over it. Ross must be confused as ****, he knows his coaches at Leinster trust him, he started ten against Munster when either of the others could, but he's just not getting a look in with Ireland.

I presume he's gonna get a poxy short summer break now because Leinster have no one else.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I felt the most sorry for Ross Byrne tbh. You hear interviews with lads like Stephen Ferris, when he talks about not getting a game at the world cup in France, he's still hurting over it. Ross must be confused as ****, he knows his coaches at Leinster trust him, he started ten against Munster when either of the others could, but he's just not getting a look in with Ireland.

I presume he's gonna get a poxy short summer break now because Leinster have no one else.

Sexton might not play again until v Munster prior to euro games. So Ross Byrne will be required

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I can understand the likes of Byrne and Marmion being disappointed by the lack of game time. They're unfortunate to be behind world class players in Murray and Sexton. They can hardly expect to get any minutes ahead of them in tight games though. They're just not as good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Sexton might not play again until v Munster prior to euro games. So Ross Byrne will be required

He's gonna play a ridiculous amount of minutes next season.

Advertisement