Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ire vs Aus - Test Number Three

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

Elvisjuice wrote: »
    who got MOTM ?

Stander, a try, 53m carried, 16 successful tackles... shored up the defence in the latter stages when he moved back to 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

So proud of the Irish team. They were immense. I thought Australia would pull away from 60 mins but we held them out courageously. Ref was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I thought Beirne should have come on for POM

The Aussies had a field day at the breakdown when he went off till Beirne came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Toner had a good game IMO got through some serious amount of tackles

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

So they finally did it :(. They went and broke the glass. Stander @6 is one of the wonders of the modern world.
    With Conan carrying, you're about to see a total rugby at 6 that hasn't been seen in years.

The Man of the Match award is about to be christened the CJ Stander award yet again!

Aussies will stand in awe, with tears in their eyes, the game totally forgotten, whispering silently to themselves "It's....it's perfection...".

They're crying into their kiwi-wannabe pillows tonight. ....

Great call shooter!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Much like the previous game, repeated infringements and penalties by Australia in or around their line, more deliberate knock ons and no yellow. Ireland could and likely should have had one, possibly two penalty tries.

The ref was ****e for both sides. Again. To claim we benefitted from it more today though, just no.

Refereeing has NOT been good in this series for anyone. FFS the ref had to be told the game was over at the end by the TMO.

I actually won a fiver from this - bet a friend as soon as Stockdale was carded that if Australia did the exact same they would not see yellow for it. Lo and behold, Folau (who already was lucky not to have been sent off for a penalty the ref seemed to want to dismiss as a knock on against POM) goes and does the exact same thing around the 79th minute, and not even a penalty is called.

The Pascal spent the next god knows how long wanting replay after replay after replay for a deliberate knock on that appeared to have never even touched Larmour's fingers, and then wanted to give a lineout even though time was up.

I don't think it was necessarily one sided like last week, but it was inexcusably poor refereeing throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I thought J Sexton's comment to the referee was in very poor taste. A lot of referees must be getting very fed up of his behaviour on the field, constantly whining about decisions. He needs to be roped in or he'll cost us at some stage.

Disappointing Murray wasn't rested more. He didn't have a great series and it is a shame that the back up guys aren't been given a crack of the whip.

The scrum struggled at times but I think Australia have improved hugely there. Their big failing is giving away soft penalties.

Word Rugby could do with sorting out the contest in the air. It is becoming very difficult to ref it and many cards are handed out on the basis of how a tackled player falls rather than the tackle. Not sure how you can sort that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Controversial opinion I imagine...but I ****in love Joe.

Me too - what he has achieved with Ireland truly outstanding - don't get the negativity -

Kearney days are probably nearly up , attack wise superb , but his defense is not reliable at the very top - Larmour to step in.
    Thought Toner was outstanding .
    Aki and Henshaw were excellent, but this team really does need the attacking gulie of Ringrose , big loss today. but a series win down under on top of a Grand slam, is unbelievable when you remember the dark days before the millenium - we need to wrap Johnny in cotton wool for one more year , and a WC final is on.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I actually won a fiver from this - bet a friend as soon as Stockdale was carded that if Australia did the exact same they would not see yellow for it. Lo and behold, Folau (who already should have been sent off for a penalty the ref seemed to want to dismiss as a knock on against POM) goes and does the exact same thing around the 79th minute, and not even a penalty is called.

The Pascal spent the next god knows how long wanting replay after replay after replay for a deliberate knock on that appeared to have never even touched Larmour's fingers, and then wanted to give a lineout even though time was up.

I don't think it was necessarily one sided like last week, but it was inexcusably poor refereeing throughout.

Your view is far from balanced. The deliberate knock on decision could have decided the game, so I have no problems with them taking their time. The correct decision was made, what's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Stander, a try, 53m carried, 16 successful tackles... shored up the defence in the latter stages when he moved back to 8

Espn has Stander 15-26m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Every time Sexton kicks at goal my heart is in my mouth and I often wonder what his success rate is? He seems to have quite a lot of off days . I always had plenty of confidence in Tony Ward for example and Owen Farrell seems always to be much more reliable than Sexton. Farrell would be my first choice as a goal kicker.

Do the stats back up my feeling?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Devin Toner is far from done. I think he's been surpassed by Henderson and Ryan, but he's still an excellent player. Bernie looks like a completely viable fourth option.

Far all the talk of Cronin - we missed Best. We missed him at the breakdown and his captaincy, in my opinion. He would have been in the ear of the ref about all those penalties in the Ozzie red zone in previous tests, and the knock-ons.

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Stander
    Is there a rule that it must go to the winning team? To be honest, Pocock deserved it by an absolute country mile today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I thought J Sexton's comment to the referee was in very poor taste. A lot of referees must be getting very fed up of his behaviour on the field, constantly whining about decisions. He needs to be roped in or he'll cost us at some stage.

poor taste - no, Johnny keep doing what you're doing - you're doing something right

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭twinytwo

mangobob wrote: »
    Yeah I saw that. If I am not mistaken, there were 2 consecutive forward passes in that move. First Murray threw it forward then Sextons pass was even more blatantly forward. Not a good day again for reffing consistency. I found last week incredibly frustrating, but today I think it was Australia who can feel somewhat aggrieved at some of the decisions that went against them. Having said that, the officials got the three most controversial decisions of the match right, namely the Folau yellow card, the final penalty against Australia and the supposed Stockdale deliberate knock on.

All in all, I thought we played ok, not great. I actually thought Oz were marginally the better team today, but really impressed how we hung on in there.

As an aside, it was less fun watching the match without this forum. Odd the way it has become part of my rugby viewing experience now lol.

Something I am curious about. At one point in the game Sexton had an exchange with the ref where he said something like "I know you hate me, but you have to talk to me." Anyone able to provide the context for what that was all about?

THE Aussies can't really complain.. We should had had two peno tries.

Also the Folau yellow was the 3rd questionable act against POM at that point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Espn has Stander 15-26m

Stats when he was being interviewed by Aus TV after the game, you could be right though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

bobbyss wrote: »
    Every time Sexton kicks at goal my heart is in my mouth and I often wonder what his success rate is? He seems to have quite a lot of off days . I always had plenty of confidence in Tony Ward for example and Owen Farrell seems always to be much more reliable than Sexton. Farrell would be my first choice as a goal kicker.

Do the stats back up my feeling?

76% career success rate for Ireland.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Your view is far from balanced. The deliberate knock on decision could have decided the game, so I have no problems with them taking their time. The correct decision was made, what's the problem?
    The problem is it was clearly obvious given how the commentators and everyone watching could see it after 2-3 replays (that part was more comical than anything else), but moreso that it coming almost immediately after a very clear penalty that should have have Folau off on a second yellow for the exact same thing that got Stockdale a yellow early on.

Just as others said with the forward pass fiasco in our favour, the refereeing today was atrocious. It's been terrible across almost all of the games in this set of series' - not just ours, and needs to be looked at.

At least we and the Aussies can be grateful we didn't have Pascal acting as a highly effective blocker for the opposition! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

mangobob wrote: »
    Something I am curious about. At one point in the game Sexton had an exchange with the ref where he said something like "I know you hate me, but you have to talk to me." Anyone able to provide the context for what that was all about?

POM was down injured. Sexton was telling the ref something like, "when he's down I'm captain, I know you hate me but you have to go to me".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

AFAIK JS's comment was in relation to him assuming the Captain role after Peter O’Mahony went off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Furlong for World Player of the Year

Bundee had a cracking game, wonder will those so quick to give him digs after 1st test will give him due credit for that showing

Don't get the Toner criticisms- he was really really solid

Conan went well at 8, can be proud.

Larmour looked solid at 15

Beirne looked really lively when he came on - can't wait to see him with Munster

A 2-1 series win is brilliant

Only negative is Murray playing 234/240 mins in the series
    We are seriously over dependent on him

Sexton should get WPOTY.

Bundee has a really good game. But i still think Henshaw - Ringrose offers us a bit more. Ringrose wearing a moon boot at the game today

Toner is very under appreciated. He has had an excellent season.

Stander and Conan I thought were excellent today. Conan with 20 tackles and 10 carries. Jordi also did very well when he came on

We are overly dependent on Murray but every team has a player who they are reliant on to some degree. The lack of game time for the two other 9s tells it's own story.

Winners from the tour are Scannell, Herring, Larmour and Toner, and John Ryan in test 1 showed his true capabilities after a mixed season at Munster. Wished we got to see more of Conway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Must be noted that John Ryan sorted the scrum out when he came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Sexton should get WPOTY.

Bundee has a really good game. But i still think Henshaw - Ringrose offers us a bit more. Ringrose wearing a moon boot at the game today

Toner is very under appreciated. He has had an excellent season.

Stander and Conan I thought were excellent today. Conan with 20 tackles and 10 carries. Jordi also did very well when he came on

We are overly dependent on Murray but every team has a player who they are reliant on to some degree. The lack of game time for the two other 9s tells it's own story.

Winners from the tour are Scannell, Herring, Larmour and Toner, and John Ryan in test 1 showed his true capabilities after a mixed season at Munster. Wished we got to see more of Conway.

Problem is when the games are that tight no coach in the world is taking Sexton or Murray off .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

The moment of the match for me was Scannell's throw for the try.
    It was on point! One of the best darts I've ever seen.

Oh and Larmour's catch :)

Random aside and I can't remember at what point it was but this reminded me Kearney did an excellent job cleaning up when Stockdale (if I recall it was him?) messed up catching a high kick. Didn't see a replay of it but when Stockdale fumbled it backwards my heart leapt into my mouth for a second. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

I thought our subs made the difference today (surprising because I didn't think we had many impactful players on the bench today).

Larmour was great. He brought an energy and a spark to fullback. A brilliant catch when Australia we thundering toward him with real intent. He constantly battled for the extra yard or two when tackled. His defence was excellent.
    For me, Kearney had looked completely off the pace and had reverted to 'turnstyle' attempts at tackling a couple of times.

Bierne looked very strong and tightened up our flaky scrum, as did Ryan and Healy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

FWIW just regarding the Sexton comment to the referee, it sounded like he said "I know you hate me but...."
    However I don't think he did say that. The referee was saying beforehand that he was happy with the challenge, so to me it sounded like Sexton said "I know you're happy but..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

The throw along with Toner suckering the Aus defence with a fake jump made that try, they all focused on Toner and it gave the half a second needed to get momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Billy86 wrote: »
    Random aside and I can't remember at what point it was but this reminded me Kearney did an excellent job cleaning up when Stockdale (if I recall it was him?) messed up catching a high kick. Didn't see a replay of it but when Stockdale fumbled it backwards my heart leapt into my mouth for a second. :o

Yeah, I hate to stick in the dagger after a win, but Stockdale had a terrible game. Needs to go back and work on his basics. He definitely helped to pile pressure on his team at the wrong moments. I think he'll be lucky if he gets another shot at wing for a while.

He has all the physical attributes, but his basic catching and positioning are poor. He sees the big picture in attack, but it's pointless if you're knocking on under no pressure and are a bit out of your dept in defence.

In contrast larmour, a short lad without all of Stockdale's physical attributes played a clever game and did the basics really well.

• Advertisement

To be fair, with 11 tries in 11 games and after his 6N performances I don't think Stockdale needs to worry about getting playing time. Starting time might be under a bit of a threat, though even if it were he's a potentially devastating player to bring in off the bench in the autumn.

I have no idea why, but I always had Larmour down as about 6'1 or a smidge above. Just looked it up there, indeed he's only 5'10.

Advertisement