Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ire vs Aus - Test Number Three

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,224 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

That was utterly glorious. They buckled down and dug it out ugly. So proud of them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

errlloyd wrote: »
    He's gonna play a ridiculous amount of minutes next season.

Be interesting to see how he compares to Carbery minutes wise

irishfeen wrote: »
    Grand Slam
    Six Nations
    Triple Crown
    Champions Cup
    Pro14
    Series win over Australia

An extraordinary year in Irish rugby!

These are unbelievable times. We can have high expectations for next year. They are justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Clegg wrote: »
    I can understand the likes of Byrne and Marmion being disappointed by the lack of game time. They're unfortunate to be behind world class players in Murray and Sexton. They can hardly expect to get any minutes ahead of them in tight games though. They're just not as good.

Spot on. I expect Byrne would have learnt quite a bit just being in the training squad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭typhoony

So does Earls still get player of the year if the vote is end of season, think Furlong gets it based on what he's done in last 8 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Didn't see it until now. Curious situation of reading all the match reports before watching it.

Having watched a download from Fox Australia the only thing I am sure of is that Phil Kearns is blind. Brutally biased.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,236 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Buer wrote: »
    Didn't see it until now. Curious situation of reading all the match reports before watching it.

Having watched a download from Fox Australia the only thing I am sure of is that Phil Kearns is blind. Brutally biased.

Never, ever gets old - especially being there at the time. The bitterness in the days after would make English football fans cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

sydthebeat wrote: »

The best part is the last line were after paragraphs of whinging he says he’ll keep it to himself. He’s a pantomime villain at this stage.

To call it out like that is completely embarrassing. He has a grievance though (which he can air through normal Aussie whinger channels). I thought the first and last kicked penalties against Australia were incredibly harsh. I wouldn't have given either of them on replay. Or even considered it, to be honest.

Weirdly, the Aussie media seem to be taking issue with Folau's yellow card more than anything which I see as a pretty locked down yellow. He lost the contest and then threw out an arm around POM's torso to pull him down. The Aussie commentators tried to blame Stander's lift which was irrelevant in terms of Folau pulling POM down. With that said, the lift was extremely patchy at best. He never got near supporting POM properly and that was a factor in POM coming down heavily.

• Advertisement

razorblunt wrote: »

I think Toner is done too, Henderson, Ryan and Beirne should be 3 names on the sheet. It was a bit hilariously horrific watching him take a crash ball. Big tree, falls hard.

Thanks for the giggle.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,236 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

To call it out like that is completely embarrassing. He has a grievance though (which he can air through normal Aussie whinger channels). I thought the first and last kicked penalties against Australia were incredibly harsh. I wouldn't have given either of them on replay. Or even considered it, to be honest.

Weirdly, the Aussie media seem to be taking issue with Folau's yellow card more than anything which I see as a pretty locked down yellow. He lost the contest and then threw out an arm around POM's torso to pull him down. The Aussie commentators tried to blame Stander's lift which was irrelevant in terms of Folau pulling POM down. With that said, the lift was extremely patchy at best. He never got near supporting POM properly and that was a factor in POM coming down heavily.

From what I can recall folau was intentionally bringing his leading knee through the lifter though, which was causing stander to pivot around.

Yes, a poor lift, but definitely a yellow and lucky to be just that, in view of what Fall got a week before.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Never, ever gets old - especially being there at the time. The bitterness in the days after would make English football fans cringe.

That, I can understand. Bit of showmanship, bravado and BS.

Today, he called items like Folau's yellow a joke, claimed Earls and Beale bumping into one another was the same as the Henderson off the ball tackle in the first test and Australia were by far the better side who played all the rugby in the second half.

I know what Aussies are like. They're my family, alas. Worst losers in the world, bar none. But he goes to another level.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Well the flip side is last week Ireland dropped am Aussie maul and the ref was under the sticks reaching for his YC. This week Aus did same thing and it was just a penalty also one of Pococks penalties today he had his knee on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Clegg wrote: »
    I can understand the likes of Byrne and Marmion being disappointed by the lack of game time. They're unfortunate to be behind world class players in Murray and Sexton. They can hardly expect to get any minutes ahead of them in tight games though. They're just not as good.

Not disagreeing with the fact that they are better, but what happens if we are 4 mins into a World Cup final and Murray goes off injured ?

You end up with Marmion coming on with no experience of bringing home a game at international level.

It just makes no sense when you consider the excellent blooding of players in almost every other position except for 9 + 10

Who cares what he has to say? We won. We have the privilege of being able to ignore him. It’s so good to be the team with nothing to whine about at the end for once :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭letowski

Jordan Larmour's high pressure take at the end I thought was a crucial moment in securing the win. At 17-16 with 4 minutes left on the clock, if Folau takes that ball in good field position, I think we are really struggling to keep our lead as they would have had serious momentum.

MVpJ0E.gif

Fair play to Larmour, the kid has really acquitted himself well to the international stage. A special talent.

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Well the flip side is last week Ireland dropped am Aussie maul and the ref was under the sticks reaching for his YC. This week Aus did same thing and it was just a penalty also one of Pococks penalties today he had his knee on the ground.
    The dropped maul today wasn't nearly as blatant as Healy's last week. It was a penalty and borderline yellow whilst last week was certain penalty try as the ball was clearly about to be grounded and deserved yellow for clear deliberate play.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Yeah, "terrible" is pretty hysterical. Mixed the good with the bad.

Let just put it this way. Unless he's walking on water or there's injuries to Conway, Earls and Larmour. There's little to no chance of him starting the next international.

[I'll leave this here for the next international]

Wanna bet? Seriously because I'd say there is every chance of Stockdale starting the next international if those guys are fit.

It's a bit weird...Larmour takes a high ball (does very well to do it) and on the back of 4 or so matches has acquitted himself very well to international rugby and is a special talent (and he to be fair he does look a decent prospect).

Stockdale on the other hand scores 11 tries in 11 games, 10 in one season (his first), 7 in one Six Nations Championship, wins player of the Six Nations...but apparently he'll be lucky to play test rugby again for a while.

Aye...

The dropped maul today wasn't nearly as blatant as Healy's last week. It was a penalty and borderline yellow whilst last week was certain penalty try as the ball was clearly about to be grounded and deserved yellow for clear deliberate play.

It's a concept that people often seem to struggle with here. Not all offences are the same severity and deserve the same punishment. A high tackle could be a penalty, yellow or red. Just because your team got a yellow for a high tackle doesn't mean the opposition should get a yellow for any high tackle they make.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

From what I can recall folau was intentionally bringing his leading knee through the lifter though, which was causing stander to pivot around.

Yes, a poor lift, but definitely a yellow and lucky to be just that, in view of what Fall got a week before.

Technically.. Fall got nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭paddy0090

bobbyss wrote: »
    Every time Sexton kicks at goal my heart is in my mouth and I often wonder what his success rate is? He seems to have quite a lot of off days . I always had plenty of confidence in Tony Ward for example and Owen Farrell seems always to be much more reliable than Sexton. Farrell would be my first choice as a goal kicker.

Do the stats back up my feeling?
    No. Farrell isn't as dead eyed as he was in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

bilston wrote: »
    Wanna bet? Seriously because I'd say there is every chance of Stockdale starting the next international if those guys are fit.

It's a bit weird...Larmour takes a high ball (does very well to do it) and on the back of 4 or so matches has acquitted himself very well to international rugby and is a special talent (and he to be fair he does look a decent prospect).

Stockdale on the other hand scores 11 tries in 11 games, 10 in one season (his first), 7 in one Six Nations Championship, wins player of the Six Nations...but apparently he'll be lucky to play test rugby again for a while.

Aye...

BOOOMMMMMM

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭paddy0090

Shelflife wrote: »
    Not disagreeing with the fact that they are better, but what happens if we are 4 mins into a World Cup final and Murray goes off injured ?

You end up with Marmion coming on with no experience of bringing home a game at international level.

It just makes no sense when you consider the excellent blooding of players in almost every other position except for 9 + 10
    We bring on a replacement who isn't as good as him. Neither Mamrion or Cooney are going to become better players with another 10-20mins of test rugby under their belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭shootermacg

letowski wrote: »
    Jordan Larmour's high pressure take at the end I thought was a crucial moment in securing the win. At 17-16 with 4 minutes left on the clock, if Folau takes that ball in good field position, I think we are really struggling to keep our lead as they would have had serious momentum.

MVpJ0E.gif

Fair play to Larmour, the kid has really acquitted himself well to the international stage. A special talent.

And gets a forearm to the face for his trouble!

Aye...

I would have took you seriously until the last word :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Ulster fan says no...of course, that goes without saying. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

paddy0090 wrote: »
    No. Farrell isn't as dead eyed as he was in the past.

Also if Sexton misses a kick it's only 3 points dropped max

What he brings out of Ireland is worth so much more in every game.

Even if he misses 2 kickable kicks that is 6 points dropped max

I would rather have Sexton on the field every time than starting with 6 point advantage with next fly half in line.

no offense to Carbery or Byrne

Gonad wrote: »
    Also if Sexton misses a kick it's only 3 points dropped max

What he brings out of Ireland is worth so much more in every game.

Even if he misses 2 kickable kicks that is 6 points dropped max

I would rather have Sexton on the field every time than starting with 6 point advantage with next fly half in line.

no offense to Carbery or Byrne

Don't think anyone (in their right mind) would argue different, Sexton is the best center in the world right and probably the most important player in the world (there's a good argument for if some guys are better at their role, even Furlong in our own squad, but OH is probably the most important position on the pitch).

We really do need to blood in Carbery or Byrne a bit though, same for Marmion or McGrath at SH, to try and avoid a similar situation to 2015 against Argentina (we had a tonne of crucial injuries that day, but if it happened right now in most/all other positions could weather the storm).

Aye...

It's fair to say they're both very, very special talents. Stockdale has shown more to date though Larmour is a year behind him. If all goes well though, these guys have to potential to each have historic careers, and not just from an Irish perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

You'd have to say that Australia had us on the rack from 60 minutes onward and couldn't finish us. When their players were subbed they were high fiving and smiling like they had the game won, I had to check the score because we were still a point ahead?!
    For all that pressure and things going their way and all the ground they made, they couldn't make it count.
    I think they got away with a lot today, I think everyone here is moaning about the ref but they can't have any complaints. Murray grounded the ball at the base of a ruck at their post and they had a guy offside, which should have been a yellow, but of course he didn't give it as they already had a guy in the bin.
    Overall we were the better team, Cheika is a clown. And the Aussie Fox commentators going on about Stander, maybe they should look at the Aussie forwards and where they come from??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭shootermacg

You have to love how we Irish always have a ton of fans in the stadium no matter where we play.

Advertisement